Rising Road Carnage In Thailand Pushing Up Medical Spending

webfact

Rising road carnage pushing up medical spending

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

Medical spending on injury treatment has drastically increased over the past three years because the rising number of road accidents, the Accident Research Centre says.

The amount of medical spending on treatment for road accidents rose from Bt2.4 billion in 2006 to Bt2.6 billion in 2009, the centre's director Dr Thanapong Jinwong told a news conference.

Citing figures from the National Health Security Office, the Social Security Office and the Civil Servant Medical Benefit Scheme, he said the government had spent about Bt20,000 per patient to treat roadaccident victims.

During the past five years, more than Bt2.3 billion was spent on treatment for victims of motorcycle accidents. Almost half of the sum went on headinjury treatment and Bt122 million was spent treating neck injuries.

The centre also found that the average length of hospital admission for inpatients who had been hit by vehicles on walkways was 7.8 days, followed by patients involved in truck accidents with 7.7 days and motorcycleaccident victims with three days.

Patients hit by vehicles on walkways had to spend an average of Bt25,148 on treatment, while those involved in car accidents had to spend Bt24,386.

According to Public Health Ministry records, the number of roadaccident inpatients fell from 159,155 in 2005 to 113,046 in 2009.

Meanwhile, figures from 33 hospitals nationwide found that the proportion of roadaccident inpatients aged 1014 had risen rapidly from 60 per cent in 1997 to 70 per cent in 2007.

Trauma Association of Thailand president Dr Charnvate Satthaputh said about 5,000 to 6,000 patients who suffered severe injuries caused by road accidents became disabled.

Meanwhile, association vice president Dr Somsak Pongprasert said there were too few neurosurgeons to provide trauma care for patients involved in road accidents.

To date, about 300 neurosurgeons work at state and private hospitals across the country. Only 50 of them work in upcountry provinces.

carnage

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-30

“Patients hit by vehicles on walkways ..”.

Amusing Thailand where these events are areality.

Thai people can not function and abideby laws – not that the Boobs in Brown enforce them. Corruption Rules in Thailand, andpoverty is one of its by-products. So ride on Thailand, but don’t be surprisedthat you will not arrive at any new destinations.

'South' timestamp='1304125315' post='4390704']

It's not difficult .................. helmets and road regulations!!

Are you suggesting outside observers should be brought in to do an analysis on the actual numbers of police doing the job they are paid to do ? Talking of helmets , why are not ALL passengers on a motor-cycle not required to wear a helmet when you consider a high number of them are children , the future residents of the country ? On top of that , why does the law (?) not cover that chin straps should be secure as many injuries are caused by this fact , also a law to restrict the safety of such helmets as in no plastic pudding bowls tied on wth string .

Did not see any note of the increased number of vehicles on the roads each year .

Are you suggesting outside observers should be brought in to do an analysis on the actual numbers of police doing the job they are paid to do ? Talking of helmets , why are not ALL passengers on a motor-cycle not required to wear a helmet when you consider a high number of them are children , the future residents of the country ? On top of that , why does the law (?) not cover that chin straps should be secure as many injuries are caused by this fact , also a law to restrict the safety of such helmets as in no plastic pudding bowls tied on wth string .

Did not see any note of the increased number of vehicles on the roads each year .

"when you consider a high number of them are children , the future residents of the country "

I would have thought that Thai children are already residents. :)

They don't need outside observers. It's pretty obvious to internal observers.

Before they start worrying about chin straps, they need to enforce the wearing. As useless as pudding bowls are, at least they get people used to wearing helmets.

"Patients hit by vehicles on walkways had to spend an average of Bt25,148 on treatment, while those involved in car accidents had to spend Bt24,386."

I think that says it all. We are not talking pushcarts here, but motorcycles using walkways as their private race course.

And when it comes to motorist training, here is how this is handled by a certain central European country:

1) Every aspiring driver is required by law to spend a full course of traffic education (20 hours of theoretical education and 20 hours of practical driving) at a licensed driving school.

2) They will then have to pass an exam rating their theoretical knowledge. if they fail, they'll have to attend another 20 hours of theoretical training at a licensed driving school.

2) If the aspiring driver finally passes the theoretical exam, they are then subjected to a rigorous practical exam negotiating real streets (i.e. not a mock-up training course) under the stringent supervision of a state-appointed examinor. Ignoring just 2 traffic signs, or driving above the speed limit even once, or not giving way to a pedestrian trying to cross the street at a zebra crossing, will result in failing the examination.

3) The applicant can then have another 2 tries at passing the exam. If they still don't pass after the third try, they will be barred from holding a driving license for life.

Once you have negotiated these hurdles, you are issued with a driving license renewable after 10 years and without any further testing. Then you can finally drive as you please and wreak havoc on the roads - not. Because the police are everywhere and fines are extremely severe ranging from several 100 Euros to revocation of one's driving license for good. Fleeing the scene of an accident is a criminal offence and can land you in jail.

Just another point on helmet use...my good buddy had his leg literally ripped off mid thigh in a bike accident in the UK. Not amputated, simply torn away. He is now pretty knowledgable about bike safety. He claims that researchers now know that having a chin strap actually on your chin greatly improves chances of having severe neck injuries. He says to put your chin strap well back under your jaw closer to your neck. Makes sense to me and all my family members practice this method.

Look, people are not wearing helmets here for their safety. They wear them sometimes so they do not get fines by the BIB. So many times you hear: Mai pen rai, no police today, no problem.

Yeah, but what if I fall and hit my head? A dumbfounded look follows...

They have no concept of danger. They don't care. Just look at how motosai riders act. They don't look, they just cut in front of any vehicle. They just don't care. Same with cars.

The idea is if you don't see it coming, it will not happen.

The concept of protecting yourself from harm does not exist in most people's mind here.

They don't know what Safety actually means.

Driver eduction is a joke here, of course. Except, not funny.

Weren't there recently a number of news stories on this board stating that the number of traffic deaths and injuries had been steadily going down the last several years? - Well, regardless of this - one can't automatically conclude that the cause of rising expenditures in the hospital sector would have anything to do with helmet usage - perhaps hospital directors and medical firms just have become more greedy?

Since 1997 by law all passengers, including children, are required to wear helmets same as the driver. It is also a law that the chin strap be fastened. One problem is police in Thailand give economic hardship concessions on a great many things. This is why motorbikes with sidecars, while illegal, are allowed, and passengers get away with not wearing helmets. And when enforced, usually a small bribe, or "tea money" as they call it, gets you on your way. Often my Thai girlfriend is asked for her phone number by the officer and that gets her out of a ticket. Here in Phuket there has been a campaign for the last year or so to helmet passengers and kids, and at least around town during school days, most people, including a lot of kids are wearing them. Unfortunately the 8 to 12 year old's driving motorbikes don't usually wear a helmet. Also unfortunately most helmets in Thailand don't conform to any certifiable standards of any kind so how useful they are in an accident is unknown.

Like everything else, the cost of goods and services are up due to gradual inflation. The article is a red herring and completely bogus, perhaps inspired by Thailand's Finance Minister as a means to conceal facts. The number of motorcycle-related traffic accidents has nothing to do with an increase in medical costs.

Keep on the lookout for further excuses, rhetoric, modifications to the currency's appearance and unsubstantiated investment advice by government sponsored news publications and organizations.

Just another point on helmet use...my good buddy had his leg literally ripped off mid thigh in a bike accident in the UK. Not amputated, simply torn away. He is now pretty knowledgable about bike safety. He claims that researchers now know that having a chin strap actually on your chin greatly improves chances of having severe neck injuries. He says to put your chin strap well back under your jaw closer to your neck. Makes sense to me and all my family members practice this method.

Maybe the people walking on the sidewalks should wear helmets.

In Hawaii, USA, there are no helmet laws. In Pennsylvania if you have had a Mc license for more than???? 2 yrs or so you can opt not to use it. Not sure a/b packers however. And there are conflicting reports/ research which suggest wearing a helmet in a Mc accident can actually kill the rider. Check it out.

And as previously posted in a country where there is RULE OF LAW many intelligent restrictions/licensing etc are evident. But TIT = Lack of Sanctions/Land of Scams. And the poor will continue to be maimed/killed. Maybe if the TAX structure was different a few more families could afford a car/pick up truck. But hey that might not be a good idea - like educating the masses might also have sever repercussions on the rich/powerful.

Oh well.

<br />Just another point on helmet use...my good buddy had his leg literally ripped off mid thigh in a bike accident in the UK. Not amputated, simply torn away. He is now pretty knowledgable about bike safety. He claims that researchers now know that having a chin strap actually on your chin greatly improves chances of having severe neck injuries. He says to put your chin strap well back under your jaw closer to your neck. Makes sense to me and all my family members practice this method.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This with all sympathies to your buddy, and the realisation that he may now know far more than I.

I only respond because some 20 years ago the advice to motorsport people wearing helmets in cars was exactly the opposite. Straps worn on chins (and passing through chin 'cups' to keep them in place) were said to be the best, as the chin is so much stronger than the throat.

However, what happens to ones head in most bike accidents may well be far different from a head hazard in, say, an upside down racing car.

I'd like to be updated and know more, I really would.

whybother' timestamp='1304133646' post='4390899']

'dumball' timestamp='1304133088' post='4390889']

"when you consider a high number of them are children , the future residents of the country "

Before they start worrying about chin straps, they need to enforce the wearing. As useless as pudding bowls are, at least they get people used to wearing helmets.

Any one with an iota of common sense would have gathered my inference was to ADULT citizens , the outside observers was in reference to a previous post , those wearing ' Pudding bowls' as helmets may be fortunate enough to survive long enough to see the folly of their ways . My reference to chin straps was directed toward those that DO wear helmets .

Why not post something intelligent instead of nonsensical criticism ? People such as yourself give me a general idea of why you chose to live in Thailand

Who travels in one of the thousands of minivans/buses that tear around Thailand.

I was at Victory monument recently about to get a mini van to Ayutthaya, it had been raining the roads were still damp and I looked at the tread on the minivan/bus I was about to get it and there was barely any on 2 wheels. I declined to get in the van.

Are these vans regulated?They are taking members of the public so do they require a licence to transport ? Or is this another case of "This is Thailand" so the public dont care, The Politicians dont give a dam_n and so there are not strict enforced regs?

Any one with an iota of common sense would have gathered my inference was to ADULT citizens , the outside observers was in reference to a previous post , those wearing ' Pudding bowls' as helmets may be fortunate enough to survive long enough to see the folly of their ways . My reference to chin straps was directed toward those that DO wear helmets .

Why not post something intelligent instead of nonsensical criticism ? People such as yourself give me a general idea of why you chose to live in Thailand

Criticism? It's called a joke, that's why there is a :).

And don't you think people need to get used to wearing helmets? It's a step forward, don't you think?

'whybother' timestamp='1304162825' post='4391805']

'dumball' timestamp='1304160856' post='4391760']

'whybother' timestamp='1304133646' post='4390899']

'dumball' timestamp='1304133088' post='4390889']

Criticism? It's called a joke, that's why there is a :).

And don't you think people need to get used to wearing helmets? It's a step forward, don't you think?

(quote)

To get used to wearing a helmet , wear a helmet , did your mother tie banana leaves to your feet with string to get you ready for shoes ? It is not a step forward , when the law says wear a helmet it should become mandatory , parents who do not supply helmets for their children should be charged with child negligence even without a law in place . Far too much lakadaisical attitude in Thailand already .

"... "Patients hit by vehicles on walkways had to spend an average of Bt25,148 on treatment, while those involved in car accidents had to spend Bt24,386." I think that says it all. We are not talking pushcarts here, but motorcycles using walkways as their private race course.

I have on more than one occasion thumped a motorcycle rider running at me on footpaths and expect me to get out of their way, and I will continue to do so. Idiots on motorcycles.... And the law choses to ignore pedestrian walkways. Similarly of late the walk out bound on Sukhumvit is blocked by street vendors and to get to the Asoke MRT one has to walk onto the roads. So when will this stupidity stop? Don't complain about your dumb ass costs when you are the direct cause of them!

Like everything else, the cost of goods and services are up due to gradual inflation. The article is a red herring and completely bogus, perhaps inspired by Thailand's Finance Minister as a means to conceal facts. The number of motorcycle-related traffic accidents has nothing to do with an increase in medical costs.

Keep on the lookout for further excuses, rhetoric, modifications to the currency's appearance and unsubstantiated investment advice by government sponsored news publications and organizations.

Agreed... surely the point here is simply the rise in the cost of medical care.....

This wearing of helmets is all well and good if you actually do wear a helmet as opposed to some plastic copy that looks like one but in the event of an accident would give you about as much protection to your head as a pair of jeans would to your legs..

Agreed... surely the point here is simply the rise in the cost of medical care.....

My memory is failing me--or was it not long ago that a thread here was saying ex pats were a cause of heath service monies dwindling ?? Suggest the bib give all monies (collected for no crash hats) to the heath care here in Thailand. Would anyone second that ???

Going to doctors/hospital/dentist here used to be a very cheap and pleasant experience. Now its a costly exercise. Conclusion: doctors/nurses/hospitals have become money grabbing and a rippoff. This why medical costs have risen.

Anyone living here needs to have medical insurance. That's how much it has changed.

The medical business here now needs regulation to protect patients from being ripped off.

This wearing of helmets is all well and good if you actually do wear a helmet as opposed to some plastic copy that looks like one but in the event of an accident would give you about as much protection to your head as a pair of jeans would to your legs..

Putting aside the long standing debate driving skills or thelack of them are a direct cause for many accidents in Lack of Sanctions (LOS). Like previously stated, people are not necessarilyqualified to operate said vehicles, and there is no rule of law. Also state previously was that Boobs in Brown allowleniency for “poor people” (reason fornot enforcing the law being they are poor and can not afford to pay a fine. 1.I wonder how the BIB know who is poor or not? Is it: Thai’s are poor andforeigners are rich? 2. But if BIBdecides poor status why do they take a bribe from “poor” people?

The middle aged man in the house next to ours had his legsamputated/crushed/ made inoperable years ago b/c of a Mc accident. The womanacross from him had half the side of her face ripped off including one eye as aresult of a Mc accident. Her husband died is the same accident. Childrenride motorbikes as fast as they can go b/c they lack maturity, wisdom, andunderstanding of circumstances which Thailand generally refuse to teach.So it might a fair bet that more people will die or be maimed.

How many remember the “poor” lady street sweeper who was rundown in BKK a couple/few years ago? Typical “hit and, run” in Thailand wherethe cowards run away knowing the Boobs in Brown are sleeping, and no powermonger or rich family really cares.

Maybe the people walking on the sidewalks should wear helmets.

In Hawaii, USA, there are no helmet laws. In Pennsylvania if you have had a Mc license for more than???? 2 yrs or so you can opt not to use it. Not sure a/b packers however. And there are conflicting reports/ research which suggest wearing a helmet in a Mc accident can actually kill the rider. Check it out.

And as previously posted in a country where there is RULE OF LAW many intelligent restrictions/licensing etc are evident. But TIT = Lack of Sanctions/Land of Scams. And the poor will continue to be maimed/killed. Maybe if the TAX structure was different a few more families could afford a car/pick up truck. But hey that might not be a good idea - like educating the masses might also have sever repercussions on the rich/powerful.

Oh well.

You are wrong regarding helmet laws in the U.S. In California the law has been in place for over 20 years, it is well documented that helmets have save lives and cost to the government and Thailand is now just finding that out? Now that they know what do they plan to do? I will give you the answer NOTHING!

maybe they should tax san song whisky more.i,am sure that runs thru the veins or local whisky thru the veins

Yes -instead of a large bottle of Nong Khai white whisky at 100 baht--make it 300 baht, THIS IS the biggest KILLER here in Thailand, 1 bottle and 5 people get drunk, Kids especially on their m/bikes, Drunk -Happy -DIE. It just amazes me why the health people keep talking about the cost and Figures. LOOK AT the companies that make the stuff---LOOK at the owners of the companies. YOUR answer.??????????????????? These are the people who ought to bail out the health service. STOP THE SALE. or make it too expensive to buy.

Wait until some sharper than a ball bearing individual, figures out the increased condom use results in more condom mishaps/breakage, thus more pregnancies, and a resultant higher maternal cost in Thailand.

Wait until some sharper than a ball bearing individual, figures out the increased condom use results in more condom mishaps/breakage, thus more pregnancies, and a resultant higher maternal cost in Thailand.

"... "Patients hit by vehicles on walkways had to spend an average of Bt25,148 on treatment, while those involved in car accidents had to spend Bt24,386." I think that says it all. We are not talking pushcarts here, but motorcycles using walkways as their private race course.

I have on more than one occasion thumped a motorcycle rider running at me on footpaths and expect me to get out of their way, and I will continue to do so. Idiots on motorcycles.... And the law choses to ignore pedestrian walkways. Similarly of late the walk out bound on Sukhumvit is blocked by street vendors and to get to the Asoke MRT one has to walk onto the roads. So when will this stupidity stop? Don't complain about your dumb ass costs when you are the direct cause of them!

I am not 100% certain. But I do believe that it is not Illegal to ride an M/C on the footpath in Thailand?

I have seen Thailands finest, riding them on the f/p on Sukhumvit.

Also saw BIB the other day, chinstrap not done up. Young girl 8/9 riding pallion no helmet?

Sadly you can talk about this as much as you like. Nothing will ever happen? There is simply to much money to be made.

jb1