Rising Road Carnage In Thailand Pushing Up Medical Spending

webfact

"Patients hit by vehicles on walkways ..".

Amusing Thailand where these events are areality.

Thai people can not function and abideby laws – not that the Boobs in Brown enforce them. Corruption Rules in Thailand, andpoverty is one of its by-products. So ride on Thailand, but don't be surprisedthat you will not arrive at any new destinations.

Hi. Nice idea. I thought it was poverty that gave rise to corruption? Saying it the other way around suggests a not nice view of Thais in general.

Pudding bowls: statistics show that any kind of head cover, even a headscarf, reduces the intensity of injuries. Anybody driving at high speed without a visor (and hence a helmet) is going to be blinded by insects and dust smashing into his eyes at high speed. (I know). So no helmet = poverty, macho idiot or just idiot.

In Switzerland we had in 1971: 1773 deaths due to traffic accidents! In 2009: 56! Education, seat belts, radar speed checks, alcohol controls etc. It is no longer fun to drive, I collect several fines a year, doubtless paying for all these controls and checks. You have to do the sums: the cost of traffic accidents is enormous, delays, lifelong invalidity and loss of family wage earners... it is probably cheaper in the end to cut down on accidents, but will the people accept it?

Just another point on helmet use...my good buddy had his leg literally ripped off mid thigh in a bike accident in the UK. Not amputated, simply torn away. He is now pretty knowledgable about bike safety. He claims that researchers now know that having a chin strap actually on your chin greatly improves chances of having severe neck injuries. He says to put your chin strap well back under your jaw closer to your neck. Makes sense to me and all my family members practice this method.

Maybe the people walking on the sidewalks should wear helmets.

In Hawaii, USA, there are no helmet laws. In Pennsylvania if you have had a Mc license for more than???? 2 yrs or so you can opt not to use it. Not sure a/b packers however. And there are conflicting reports/ research which suggest wearing a helmet in a Mc accident can actually kill the rider. Check it out.

And as previously posted in a country where there is RULE OF LAW many intelligent restrictions/licensing etc are evident. But TIT = Lack of Sanctions/Land of Scams. And the poor will continue to be maimed/killed. Maybe if the TAX structure was different a few more families could afford a car/pick up truck. But hey that might not be a good idea - like educating the masses might also have sever repercussions on the rich/powerful.

Oh well.

You are wrong regarding helmet laws in the U.S. In California the law has been in place for over 20 years, it is well documented that helmets have save lives and cost to the government and Thailand is now just finding that out? Now that they know what do they plan to do? I will give you the answer NOTHING!

Thank you for boldly stating, " you are wrong." LOL I wonder if you did your research re: helmet laws in HI and PA, USA. As a licensed motorcycle rider (HD's mostly - 30+yrs) I thought I remembered if I wore a helmet or not. But I wanted to make sure. so here is what I found:

http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v/Mc_ManualMar2008r.pdf

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

Required equipment includes brakes, head lamp, tail lamp,stop lamp, muffler,

horn, rear-view mirror and seat.

Raising the handlebars to a level more than 15 inches (38cm) above the level

of the seat is against the law.

The motorcycle must be equipped with footrests for allpassengers not in a

sidecar or enclosed cab.

Motorcycles must be equipped with fenders or mud guards.

Any operator or passengers under 18 years of age mustwear an approved safety

helmet securely fastened with a chin strap.

Any operator or passenger must wear glasses, goggles or aface shield unless

the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield.

PASSENGERS

The operator must not carry more passengers than themotorcycle is designed

and equipped to carry. You must not carry a passenger whois under the age of 7

years.

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/safety-laws.php#Helmets

Helmets

Motorcycles

Riders over 21 yearsold who have either held a license for two years or completed amotorcycle safety course are not required to wear ahelmet.

Now it appears you have a wonderful opportunity. :-)