Can Am. Citizens Show Up At Consulate W/O Appointment?

NancyL

I have an American friend who arrived here, receiving a Visa-on-Arrival at the airport. It expires on May 14. He doesn't use the computer much, so I helped him set up an appointment for the Income Verification letter from the American consulate, Chiang Mai. The first available appointment is May 10, which is getting very close to when his VOA expires.

He emailed the Consulate to see if he can get the notarization earlier. I'm concerned he may not receive a reply to his email before the next U.S. Citizen's service day on May 3. I think they won't have any appointments on May 5 since that's a Thai holiday. They do U.S. citizen services just on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Is it possible for him just to show up early at the American Consulate on May 3, one of their regular U.S. citizen service days and ask if they can "work him in" for notarial services without an appointment? I downloaded the form from the website for him, so he'll have it all ready-to-go. All they need to do is watch him sign it and do their stamping.

As set up by the consulate, theoretically you cannot just show up without an appointment. In practice however, I have shown up for an appointment without having printed out my appointment confirmation. I merely told the guard I had an appointment and he checked my passport for entry.

That will get you in, at which point you can go to window #1 for citizen services. THERE, at window #1 they have a list with all the names and appointment times. They check off the name of each person as they appear. I have no idea what their reaction would be if at that point you tell them you have no appointment but you have an urgent situation. I think it's worth a shot, but try to not delay any people who have appointments as some people tend to be a bit snippy.

Edited by lannarebirth

Oh Lannarebirth, I loved your suggestion but Hubby threw cold water on it. My thought was -- what's the worst that could happen? They'd just tell him to return next week during his confirmed appointment. Hubby saw it another way -- he doesn't think it's a good idea to try to "game the system" because you don't want to be seen as a troublemaker, especially when planning to remain in Chiang Mai longterm.

Any other ideas from fellow American citizens?

It might be best to keep the May 10 appointment, and then a few days later go to Mae Sai for a "walk in" visa. With that he should have sufficient time to handle his Immigration business.

Bangkok has walk in service - take a number and take a seat. Usually takes 45 minutes or so to get in and out under a normal workload. I am very surprised that Chiang Mai is not the same. You could always go in and say you never had any access problems in Bangkok. I sincerely doubt that they are going to black list anyone for trying to get the notary service.

Pretty sure you can go to the Consulate in CM without an appointment. It is not gaming the system as long as you tell the guard at the gate you do not have an appointment, but have an urgent matter and wish to ask if the Citizens services staff can help. they have mechanisms in place to deal with non-appointments if time and availability exists. You may have to wait. but it will probably be handled that day.

Edited by KimoMax

It might be best to keep the May 10 appointment, and then a few days later go to Mae Sai for a "walk in" visa.

Or get a 7-day extension from Immigrations to allow more time. I just had a friend do that and it saved him a trip to the border.

I guess I'm missing something. If he goes to his appointment at the U.S. Consulate the 10th and gets his letter, what is the problem with getting his visa issues taken care of before the 14th? I usually get my notarization and anything else I need, then go to immigration the next day, which for him would be the 11th. So what is the issue?

I don't know from experience, but I would guess the consulate will not be too welcoming. If they (consulate) start letting people who procrastinate just walk in because that person feels his issue is more important than those that have made appointments, the entire system is then useless.

Most American Consulates are very receptive to genuine emergency.

From past experiences in various countries, I could always approach the American Citizen Services without prior appointment, when needed.

However, it is best to follow each consulate differing guidelines.

The blanket answer is, yes, you surely can seek assistance at the consulate, even if you do not have an appointment;

but then you might have to wait for an opening which might have to be at the very end of the day or line, whichever comes first.:unsure:

Believe me, persons at the consulate mostly are unusually perceptive, accommodating and humanistic, most of the time. :jap:

They have always been very assistive, which is most appreciated, always. :jap:

And that is.... some of the u.s. dollars at work overseas for you and me. :D

Yeah, Silverhawk, like you I thought it he'd have time to get the one year visa extension. The plan was for him to go the consulate on May 10, then go to Immigration later that day to fill out the forms, get the copies and photos made. Sign and date everything (with the date of May 11) and see if he could find some official (like maybe the guy at the number machine) to look thru the paperwork and tell him if he's got everything in order. Then he planned to return very early on May 11, get a number and have his interview, etc, to get his one year retirement extension. At least it seemed like a good plan to me.

I posted the plan in the immigration, visa, etc forum and some people have pointed out that some Immigration offices don't like to do a 12 month retirement extension with a "stale visa". I've heard numbers of 7, 14 and even 21 days. That was news to me. I did my most recent 12 month retirement extension in CM just four days before the previous one expired.

Yeah, Silverhawk, like you I thought it he'd have time to get the one year visa extension. The plan was for him to go the consulate on May 10, then go to Immigration later that day to fill out the forms, get the copies and photos made. Sign and date everything (with the date of May 11) and see if he could find some official (like maybe the guy at the number machine) to look thru the paperwork and tell him if he's got everything in order. Then he planned to return very early on May 11, get a number and have his interview, etc, to get his one year retirement extension. At least it seemed like a good plan to me.

I posted the plan in the immigration, visa, etc forum and some people have pointed out that some Immigration offices don't like to do a 12 month retirement extension with a "stale visa". I've heard numbers of 7, 14 and even 21 days. That was news to me. I did my most recent 12 month retirement extension in CM just four days before the previous one expired.

I did my last retirement visa on the day of expiration. Just make sure you have all your supporting materials, affadavit of income, copies of bank books and passport etc. Took about 10 minutes after an hour wait.

Just a quick personal observation. Some embassy visits require some extensive communication between staff and the American citizen. Other things just require turning in forms and making payments and getting the forms back ie notary, added pages to passport etc. I always considered the prior to require an appointment and the latter to be a walk in visit as indeed is the case in Bangkok. I am surprised at the apparent fear of a walk in visit by some in CM.

My friend went to the American Consulate this morning (Tuesday) arriving at 8 am, at the start of their American citizen services time. He showed the guard his completed (but not signed) Income Verification letter, explaining he just wanted a quick notarization. He showed her his passport with his permission to remain in the Kingdom expiring on May 14. He showed the guard the email he'd sent to the ACS on Friday, requesting notarial services before May 10 appointment. (He hasn't received a reply to that email.) He was well-dressed, nicely groomed and polite. He said they weren't busy. He didn't cause any other American citizen to wait while he talked with the guard.

None of that worked. He wasn't able to get into the Consulate for a notarization.

Edited by NancyL

NancyL

I am speechless and dumbfounded with extreme bewilderment.

Normally, at the gate, a U.S. citizen would only have to show the u.s. passport to gain entrance to the main buildings behind.

Personally, over the decades, I never once needed to explain to any of those guards why I needed to enter to seek assistance from the counsels.

And they never even once asked why I came so often.

Had I been asked, my response would normally be, it really does not concern you or do you want to hear about my problems in Thailand?

The guards are there to ascertain that everyone who wishes to enter, does qualified under different categories.

Being a U.S. citizen, your friend are unconditionally qualified to enter the U.S. Consulate ground to seek assistance.

Unless of course your friend triggers a profile problem, which is very rare and unusual.

When you know you have a global problem, the last place you want to be is the U.S. controlled area where bribery would get you into even more trouble, generally speaking now.

I know, for several of you out there, who are exception to the many rules, U.S. Consulate is the very first place you want to scramble into for sanctuary.

America is so very strange for so many reasons. B)

Could you tell your American friend to try again, perhaps dressing like a tourist would....

and just talk to the few pretty ladies with the name tags showing their names and that they are from the ACS,

saying only that you need notarization.

Most probably, they will just usher you in with a smile, just like hundred others who follow you thereafter. :jap:

The timing of your husbands going to the Consulate today and the "New Heightened Security", could have everything to do with his being denied entry without an appointment.

You two have all the luck.

Vont, have you just waltzed into the American consulate in CM lately without an appointment for routine services? Perhaps you could meet my friend at the gate and show him how it's done.

Edited by NancyL

They have people who will speak with you on the phone and may be more accommodating than the guard. I have not read the whole thread but suggest you call or have your friend call if you have not done so yet.

Yes, we've made phone calls and talked with Andrew's very helpful intern who suggested we outline the request in an email to the ACS email address on their website. We did that on Friday and haven't received a reply. I just called back and talked with the same intern who suggested we resend the email and she'd show it to Andrew. The problem we've got is that Thursday is a holiday and they just do ACS on Tuesdays or Thursdays, so it has to be today. Otherwise, he just has to wait for his appointment on Tuesday, May 10 and hope he's not cutting it too close to get an O visa before his 30-day permission to enter as a tourist expires on Saturday, May 14.

Other than this, I don't know what more to do, short of suggesting he go down to Bangkok, where apparently the American Embassy permits walk-ins for routine ACS business. Unless Vont can get him in thru his secret back door.

Edited by NancyL

Nancy,

Nothing you or anyone can do since the Heightened Levels of Security at US Embassies, Consulate, and interests.

Read the on-line Thai English Media of the two main sources and you will know this is true.

What is normally routine, is not the same as now after the recent killing of Bin Laden by US Special Forces.

It would be no different at the Embassy in Bangkok. Without an appointment, a person can not get in.

It is obvious that security checks of all visitors scheduled to enter the compounds are being conducted by Embassy internal security.

Link to Thai Visa News of heightend security in Thailand

http://www.thaivisa....sama-bin-laden/

Edited by KimoMax

From the Consulate General of the United States Chiang Mai office web site:

DO I NEED AN APPOINTMENT?

If you are reporting the death, arrest, or serious illness or injury of an U.S. citizen in Northern Thailand, you do not need an appointment. Please call 053-107-777 instead.

If you need to replace a lost or stolen U.S. passport, you do not need an appointment. You may come to the Consulate any Tuesday or Thursday (except Thai and U.S. public holidays). Before coming, please review our the “Lost or Stolen Passport” information on our Passports page so you know what to bring.

If you are picking up a passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or federal benefits check, you do not need an appointment. Please come to the Consulate from 13:30 to 15:30 any Tuesday or Thursday (except Thai and U.S. public holidays).

For all other services, please make an appointment.

MSPain

Nancy,

Your friend is going for a one year retirement extension with a visa on arrival? Last I heard which was admittedly some time ago, you needed a Non Im visa to get a retirement extension or is a Non Im given on arrival now? Anyway, Good luck.

I observed a fellow show up at the American Consulate this morning at 0800. He did not have an appointment. He went to the reception window and he was directed to use the computer in the same room to make an appointment.He will have to come back at a later date.

I observed a fellow show up at the American Consulate this morning at 0800. He did not have an appointment. He went to the reception window and he was directed to use the computer in the same room to make an appointment.He will have to come back at a later date.

That was probably my friend. Turns out that an ACS rep did send him an email this weekend saying he could come in at 1:15 pm today. The rep also copied me, but neither my friend nor I received the email.

I made a phone call this morning and they resend the email. He showed up at 1:15 pm and got his notarization. Oh, I must remember to remind him to cancel his May 10 appointment!

Now he just has to deal with CM Immigration bright and early tomorrow morning.

From the Consulate General of the United States Chiang Mai office web site:

DO I NEED AN APPOINTMENT?

If you are reporting the death, arrest, or serious illness or injury of an U.S. citizen in Northern Thailand, you do not need an appointment. Please call 053-107-777 instead.

If you need to replace a lost or stolen U.S. passport, you do not need an appointment. You may come to the Consulate any Tuesday or Thursday (except Thai and U.S. public holidays). Before coming, please review our the "Lost or Stolen Passport" information on our Passports page so you know what to bring.

If you are picking up a passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or federal benefits check, you do not need an appointment. Please come to the Consulate from 13:30 to 15:30 any Tuesday or Thursday (except Thai and U.S. public holidays).

For all other services, please make an appointment.

MSPain

Wouldn't want a US citizen to show up without an appointment and inconvenience some public servant. laugh.gif

David

OK, to finish the story, my friend went to CM Immigration today. Arrived at 6:50 am and left by 9:30 am with an "O" visa, good for 90 days. He needs to revisit the American Consulate in late June, get a new income letter and then apply at CM Immigration for his 12 month retirement extension sometime after July 4th. (as said by the lady at desk 3)

I was prepared to make a polite but firm, smiling all the time, Thai-style scene until he got his 12 month extension on the spot when he showed me the list of his stuff that is held hostage in Customs and gave me an account of his recent trips to Robinsons and Central Dept store where they have (guess what!) really nice clothes that fit him, some really comfy shoes (he showed off a new pair),office supplies and all his favorite DVDs and Cds. He's decided to return his "household" items after deciding he really doesn't need them and I didn't need to turn into full pit-bull mode to see if he can get a 12-month extension on his new O visa at the same time it's issued.

So, the stuff he shipped over is going to be "return to sender" and he gets to do some shopping.

Edited by NancyL

Maybe you need to get him to check the Customs website. Retirement does not get entry of goods only a work permit

.http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/HouseholdEffects/HouseholdEffects.jsp?menuNme=HouseHold

from there

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)

Edited by harrry

Harry, the language on the document you referenced is sufficiently vague that some people, including customs offcials, would believe that you can bring household goods in duty free while holding a retirement visa since that is a 12-month permission to remain in the Kingdom. I've had several PMs from people who had no problems. Turns out they brought their household items in by sea. Hubby and I had big problems bringing in a 98 kilogram shipment via air and my friend with the newly minted O visa was having problems bring in 78 kilos by air. Oh, Hubby and I also mailed everything that wasn't valuable or breakable using U.S. Global priority mail flat rate boxes and that herd of boxes arrived almost before we did, with no damages and no one asking about passports, visas, duty. Those boxes were delivered to our hotel room in Chiang Mai over a span of a week and all we had to do was give the bellman a tip.