Good Place For A Haircut?

DocHolliday2006

Hey.

I'm a guy and I'm letting my hair grow out a bit. But it's getting a bit long on the sides and I need a trim. Anyone know of a place hair place that speaks good English so I can communicate exactly what I want and ask their opinion and such? Don't want to end up with a buzz cut. Don't want to pay a lot either.

Any good places in Chiang Mai?

Thanks.

Edited by DocHolliday2006

In Thailand Ive never had one and it seems not many of my friends have either. lol

The last time I went I had to visit two places as the first one left me looking like a schoolgirl. The second one managed to salvage a grown up tomboy lesbian kinda thing which Im currently sporting and looking like a complete dipstick lol

If you want it short though some seem ok. There is one on Suthep road which is cheap and the barbers are all women. I used it when I had short hair and they were the best I could find. One thing I would say is that they do leave it patchy so keep an eye on it and if they miss a bit tell them.

I SO wish someone would open a British barbers here.

I'm a real cheap Charlie, but even I go to Airport Plaza for a 200B cut (cheapest in Airport Plaza). They may not speak any English, and the cut might be only as good as at a 50Baht place, but I walk in, get treated like a king, fantastic head massage with the shampoo by either an old lady who gives a good massage, or a stunningly beautiful lady in a tight short skirt. They decline any tip. I've really tried, ended up in utter confusion and me sheepishly taking the 20 Baht away and apologising for thinking the price was 220B. Stupid me. I think its the 3rd floor, next to the escalators on the corner of the L shape. Big red sign, 199 Baht special promotion (longest lasting sppecial promotion I've seen, its been there since before I arrived 3 years ago. They once tried to upsell me to some kind of manicure. I declined based on my feet being really, really nasty dirty. I couldn't put anyone through that. One of the girls seems to get a lot of old Farang men as customers. They seem to enjoy the facial treatment she gives. Funny, I've never seen 60 something men with cucumbers over their eyes except in there. I'm not sure what's going on there, perhaps someone else knows......

There's a place next to Rim Ping by the river that is 180-200B, depending on whether I look like a tourist or not.

I once went to a place where it cost 60 Baht. I think my backside got goat AIDS off of the chair. I got bitten by a million mosquitoes. Never again.

As for English, I've never found one that understands anything more than short, shorter or less short. The numbers for the clippers are all different (to the UK) here as well, but the 200 Baht places know what I'm talking about when I say number 2 back and sides.

I love getting my haircut here.

I'm a real cheap Charlie, but even I go to Airport Plaza for a 200B cut (cheapest in Airport Plaza). They may not speak any English, and the cut might be only as good as at a 50Baht place, but I walk in, get treated like a king, fantastic head massage with the shampoo by either an old lady who gives a good massage, or a stunningly beautiful lady in a tight short skirt. They decline any tip. I've really tried, ended up in utter confusion and me sheepishly taking the 20 Baht away and apologising for thinking the price was 220B. Stupid me. I think its the 3rd floor, next to the escalators on the corner of the L shape. Big red sign, 199 Baht special promotion (longest lasting sppecial promotion I've seen, its been there since before I arrived 3 years ago. They once tried to upsell me to some kind of manicure. I declined based on my feet being really, really nasty dirty. I couldn't put anyone through that. One of the girls seems to get a lot of old Farang men as customers. They seem to enjoy the facial treatment she gives. Funny, I've never seen 60 something men with cucumbers over their eyes except in there. I'm not sure what's going on there, perhaps someone else knows......

There's a place next to Rim Ping by the river that is 180-200B, depending on whether I look like a tourist or not.

I once went to a place where it cost 60 Baht. I think my backside got goat AIDS off of the chair. I got bitten by a million mosquitoes. Never again.

As for English, I've never found one that understands anything more than short, shorter or less short. The numbers for the clippers are all different (to the UK) here as well, but the 200 Baht places know what I'm talking about when I say number 2 back and sides.

I think I'm cheaper than you. I pay 30 Baht for a haircut,including a shave and some sort of massage. The hair and the beard is shorter, so what more can you ask for. :rolleyes:

And BTW. The chicks loves it. :P

Edited by Semper

There are 4 barber shops next to each other on Suthep Road. I've been to each of them and now have a favorite. I've been told they do a good job. 80 baht. No English spoken.

I also go to the place in airport plaza. I really enjoy it. The shampoo/ head massage seems to last 10+ minutes and they even gave me a back and shoulders massage while I was waiting for the haircut.

Try Q Bone. Nimmanhaemin soi 9, closer to Srimanjalakan than Nimmanhaemin.

It is in a soi between Nimmanhaemin and Srimanjakalan (coming from Huay Keaw Mall to Doi Suthep, first traffic lights on the left) You can see their sign from this street.

It is a modern hairstudio, I have seen only Thai customers, but they are skilled and know modern cutting techniques. Ask for the tallest male barber ('the teacher"). He doesn't speak English but the younger barber does.

I explained him by drawing it myself and showing pictures + point out what I did and didn't want.

Cutting 150-200, (+ shampooing)

Oh...I am looking at their Business card and I think it is called : O B One.

Anyway, their sign is something with red.

Edited by MangoAndCo

30thb haircut in Doi Saket, but you'll end up looking like a Thai school boy. This guy does the fastest chop I've ever seen.

Fact is that I've never gotten a decent haircut in LOS in 10 yrs, but luckily I'm not vain and it always grows out, but slower than before

i agree you are paying over the odds for a haircut,but for the others who use cheaper salons or barbers they will have to pay the same soon.i use a salon in cm get my hair washed.it cost 4o baht and the service is good.other places i know charge dbl.if you are going to live in cm try to pay thai prices not farlang price

and ask their opinion and such?

You wan't a opinion from a Katoey? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, is it because we know they're all theives, and taking their opinion might be like receiving stolen goods?

Otherwise I don't know why a Katoey's opinion would be any less than anybody else's

Trust me on Ulimate Hair (red sign/website and maybe google) off Hueykaew road about 100 meters west of the old shopping mall and orchard hotel before the first gas station (shell I think) on left...near Hueykaew Resedience

ask for a guy named Oh....he knows what he is doing and speaks English...just be clear about what you want...300 which is cheap because the same cut in USA would have been $60 plus tip if you like your hair like me as well as having a full head of it and want to keep it...I as well have long hair and after doing many searches here on Thai visa i trusted farang ladies that had their hair cut there...kudos to Thaivisa and the folks that suggested Ultimate hair as I went last week

I tip the shampoo girl and the Thai guy that obviously has much experience cutting farang and or long hair

now if you want a cheap cut like most of the dudes here that don't have much hair to speak of...beware you maybe sorry...when you have long or full hair you pay like a women pays for a cut/style...the haters with no hair will say we are stupid but they would give their left nut for hair

Trust me on Ulimate Hair (red sign/website and maybe google) off Hueykaew road about 100 meters west of the old shopping mall and orchard hotel before the first gas station (shell I think) on left...near Hueykaew Resedience

ask for a guy named Oh....he knows what he is doing and speaks English...just be clear about what you want...300 which is cheap because the same cut in USA would have been $60 plus tip if you like your hair like me as well as having a full head of it and want to keep it...I as well have long hair and after doing many searches here on Thai visa i trusted farang ladies that had their hair cut there...kudos to Thaivisa and the folks that suggested Ultimate hair as I went last week

I tip the shampoo girl and the Thai guy that obviously has much experience cutting farang and or long hair

now if you want a cheap cut like most of the dudes here that don't have much hair to speak of...beware you maybe sorry...when you have long or full hair you pay like a women pays for a cut/style...the haters with no hair will say we are stupid but they would give their left nut for hair

300 plus 2 tips? Come on, your pissing away your money. It doesn't matter what a haircut costs in America. This is Thailand. You can get a great haircut here for 70-170 Baht.

In Thailand Ive never had one and it seems not many of my friends have either. lol

The last time I went I had to visit two places as the first one left me looking like a schoolgirl. The second one managed to salvage a grown up tomboy lesbian kinda thing which Im currently sporting and looking like a complete dipstick lol

If you want it short though some seem ok. There is one on Suthep road which is cheap and the barbers are all women. I used it when I had short hair and they were the best I could find. One thing I would say is that they do leave it patchy so keep an eye on it and if they miss a bit tell them.

I SO wish someone would open a British barbers here.

There are some posters here who actually likes that look. :rolleyes:

Found a place. The haircut wasn't good, but it wasn't horrible either. Thanks for your suggestions.

Next time try the barber I use and have recommended on TV before...

"I've been getting my hair cut by Khun Noi at Muangmai barbershop for many years. Lovely, lively, lady, mid-40s, enjoys practising her English, recently increased her prices to about 70 baht for a cut, same again for wash and blow dry. I think her shop phone number is still 053 876123. Tell her Mike sent you.

Drive up Meuang Samut Rd from Muangmai market, turn left just before the PTT petrol station (Wangsingkham Soi 1?) and it's more or less opposite the petrol station's 711 shop, next to the video shop. Sign only in Thai.

If you click this link, it should show you the position on Google Maps 18.799444, 98.997470

"

CMMCB

• 3 weeks later...

Infinity opposite Amazing sandwich near Kad Suan Kaew is good for the ladies ( middle of the road to expensive). The group of barber shops just down from Wat Suan Dok on Suthep Rd good enough for the blokes, and at 60 baht you can't go wrong.