Taxes On Bikes

I was stopped and eating Gai Yang and Som Tam in Nong Bua Lamphu at a roadside 'restaurant' when a pick up from some revenue department drove by and made a u turn to come back and check to see if my bike was legal.

My Q is, Does this happen often?

Certainly never happened to me. As far as I know you can not get your motorbike "license plate" unless all appropriate taxes are paid just as is the case with cars. A lot of police checkpoints stopping motor bikes but have never seen a pickup truck. Sounds fishy.

Yes happens often in nongbaulamphu area, more so if on a unplated bike.

If on a unplated bike you need to carry the excise tax paper.

Also the local Poo yai ban and probably anyone else who puts you in get a kick back from the transport office.

They are a bunch of clowns these guys, have turned upto my workshop twice, two pickups full of little money grubbers.

I guess I wont see them again as they havent yet been able to get a single baht from me.

Edited by Shocktreatment

Also the local Poo yai ban and probably anyone else who puts you in get a kick back from the transport office.

They are a bunch of clowns these guys, have turned upto my workshop twice, two pickups full of little money grubbers.

I guess I wont see them again as they havent yet been able to get a single baht from me.

and a plated bike, you need according to law bring copy of book. Page 18 displayes excicetax payed on a single approved/taxed bike. Often this info is lacking, and then a plated bike also needs other proof of excicetax payed

Homoleg bikes do not have excicetax info in page 18, but homoleg code in page 4 position 5

and a plated bike, you need according to law bring copy of book. Page 18 displayes excicetax payed on a single approved/taxed bike. Often this info is lacking, and then a plated bike also needs other proof of excicetax payed

Homoleg bikes do not have excicetax info in page 18, but homoleg code in page 4 position 5

A book? I have been driving for all these years without the book? What book? It is beginning to look like no matter what you do you will always be obliged to pay the piper!

A book? I have been driving for all these years without the book? What book? It is beginning to look like no matter what you do you will always be obliged to pay the piper!

Ask your wife if she has the book for your bike.

Does the bike have a plate on it ?

every road legal vehicle has a plate and a registration book. for bikes it is green. states what kind of bike and changes made to it, record of owners, record of road taxes and excicetax. Not only is it needed when using vehicle on public roads, it is also needed when transporting bike in the back of a pickup

just like in most countries :)

Ask your wife if she has the book for your bike.

Does the bike have a plate on it ?

Don't need to ask my wife. It has a plate installed from BKK I have the green book and the Tax disc. I think they were just trolling for money.

I was stopped and eating Gai Yang and Som Tam in Nong Bua Lamphu at a roadside 'restaurant' ............My Q is, Does this happen often?

Never to me - can't stand Som Tam!

Another that doesn't understand good food. I hope you live far away from me. You probably like KFC, Micky D and such ilk. But the Q was about being questioned by the revenue department not my choice of food, TWIT.

I was stopped and eating Gai Yang and Som Tam in Nong Bua Lamphu at a roadside 'restaurant' ............My Q is, Does this happen often?

Never to me - can't stand Som Tam!

Another that doesn't understand good food. I hope you live far away from me. You probably like KFC, Micky D and such ilk. But the Q was about being questioned by the revenue department not my choice of food, TWIT.

as there are so many bikes around with dodgy import docs/duties and dodgy excicie tax, revenue has focused on them. Impound sometimes possible to solve by paying

as there are so many bikes with dodgy specs, especially emission, DLT has focused on them. Impound sometimes possible to solve by paying

Well, someone else bought food into the discussion. So, why the he11 can't you get a good cuppacino North of Bangkok? What the he11 is wrong with these people???

BSJ if you ask nicely I'll tell you the place to go for Coffee in CM. Won't post here though as the place is already overrun. And I don't mean any of the 5 Starbucks' in town.

To the OP: The exact same thing happened to me in CM when I didn't have a plate on my Versys. I was parked on the side of the road when two shady looking guys in a pick-up appeared, whipped out some sort of ID and asked for my papers. I handed them everything the Kawa dealer had given me, they checked it, then they became friendly and started asking questions about the bike, smiles on their faces... it was weird because their pick-up wasn't marked, and I only caught a glimpse of the ID, and they certainly tried very hard to look as shady as possible... could just as easily have been a couple of impostors stealing bikes out in the open...

Just like those clowns who dressed up as police late at night on HK road, stopping people riding without helmet & cashing in...

Edited by nikster