Bank In Thailand

I have lived for many years in Thailand and I do have a few Thai bank accounts but up to now I have used my bank in my country of birth as my main bank. For tax reasons I can no longer do that. I'm still working (outside Thailand) and receive a monthly salary from my company. They're happy to send this to wherever I want them to.

I do not want to put all my money in a Thai bank for several reasons(political situation, security of deposits, difficulties in transferring abroad), but how can I avoid doing so? I have been looking at HSBC but they only have one branch in Bangkok and I live in Pattaya.

Question: Which bank would you choose if you were in my situation?

My impression is that Siam Commercial Bank is the "safest" choice of the Thai banks, if that's what you're asking.

I guess I'm asking if there are other international banks with a presence in Thailand that it would be convenient to use.

But why would you say that SCB is any safer that the other banks in Thailand?

wiki

History

Established by Royal Charter in 1907, Siam Commercial Bank PCL (SCB) was Thailand's first bank. At the time of its establishment, the only banks in the country (then known as Siam) were branch offices of foreign banks. SCB currently provides a comprehensive range of financial products and services through its branch, exchange booth, ATM network, and Business Relationship Centers (BRC) nationwide.

Market Capitalization and Asset Data

At the end of September 2010, SCB's market capitalization stood at 351.8 billion baht, the highest among Thailand's financial institutions, with assets of 1,363 billion baht. SCB's branch, exchange booth, and ATM networks totaled 1,005, 114, and 7,678 units respectively, the highest in the banking sector.

My impression is that Siam Commercial Bank is the "safest" choice of the Thai banks, if that's what you're asking.

I guess I'm asking if there are other international banks with a presence in Thailand that it would be convenient to use.

It's owned by 'he who must not be named'

What country are you from and why can't you open an account outside of Thailand, say in IoM, CI, Singapore?

Don't know where IoM or CI is. Singapore is abt 2,5 hrs away in a plane - I'd prefer a bank that had at least one office in LOS.

Standard Chartered seem okay.

Do they have a branch in Thailand?

It's owned by 'he who must not be named'

Even people who must not be named can own banks that go bust.

What country are you from and why can't you open an account outside of Thailand, say in IoM, CI, Singapore?

Don't know where IoM or CI is. Singapore is abt 2,5 hrs away in a plane - I'd prefer a bank that had at least one office in LOS.

Standard Chartered seem okay.

Do they have a branch in Thailand?

I'm guessing you're not a Brit then?

IoM = Isle of Man

CI = Channel Islands

Offshore banking havens for Brits living abroad, but other nationalities can open accounts also.

HSBC, Standard Chartered and Citibank are international banks with branches in Thailand, but if you don't want to keep your money in Thailand you'd be better off opening an account with them outside, the local branches will be subject to the same banking regulations as local banks.

• 3 weeks later...

HSBC will steal your money - this is their only goal. If you have a credit card with them and your identity is stolen then HSBC will laugh at you while they focably remove the cast from you.

Tell everyone - drop the evil card. get them to shove it !