UN concerned about Palestinian children in prolonged Israeli occupation

News_Editor

UN concerned about Palestinian children in prolonged Israeli occupation

2011-05-04 07:26:19 GMT+7 (ICT)

UNITED NATIONS (BNO NEWS) -- The United Nations (UN) on Tuesday announced that an independent human rights expert warned about the dire situation faced by Palestinian children due to the Israeli occupation, saying that they continue to be subjected to attacks, harassment, detention and abuse.

UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights Richard Falk said 1,335 Palestinian children have been killed as a result of the presence of the Israeli military and settlers in the occupied Palestinian territory since 2000.

The "rapidly deteriorating human rights situation as a result of the prolonged Israeli occupation disproportionately affects children," Falk stated at the end of an eight-day visit to Cairo and Amman.

"The arbitrary opening of fire by Israeli military against Palestinian children is appalling," he added, stating that the policies of land confiscation, expansion of settlements, home demolitions and forced displacement of families, revocation of residency permits and restrictions on freedom of movement continue to have a greater impact on children.

In addition, Falk noted that Israel continues to arbitrarily arrest, detain and abuse children, as 226 children are currently in Israeli detention, including 45 who are between 12 and 15 years old.

"Children continue to be arrested at night, at checkpoints or off the street. Upon arrest, children and their families are seldom informed of the charges against them," said Falk.

"Arresting children for stone throwing, particularly in East Jerusalem, has been on the rise. Children report that they were blindfolded, beaten or kicked at the time of arrest and put at the back of a military vehicle where they were subject to further physical and psychological abuse on the way to the interrogation and detention center."

Falk continued by saying that it was important to consider that the perpetrators of these violations against Palestinian children face no accountability for their actions, adding that, unlike Israeli juvenile offenders, Palestinian children are tried in the Juvenile Military Court.

The UN Rapporteur also said that Palestinian children continue to be deprived of their right to education, citing figures indicating a shortage of 40,000 classrooms at the start of the 2010-2011 school year, and difficulties in obtaining permits to build new schools.

The international community "should spare no effort in compelling Israel to comply with its obligations under international humanitarian and human rights law, end this prolonged and illegal occupation and fully respect the right to self-determination of the Palestinian people," he stressed.

The Special Rapporteur was prevented by Israeli authorities from visiting the occupied Palestinian territory during his mission, as has been the case since his appointment in 2008. He was also due to visit the Gaza Strip but had to cancel due to the security situation there.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-04

Who was it that said "One million Arabs are not worth a Jewish fingernail"?

As I have said before the State of Israel has an expiry date, it is not a matter of if, only when.

Who said that? I don't know, some moronic Jewish fascist. All peoples have examples of idiocy.

Now looking at you. How many established nations in the world are you cheerleading to be destroyed. I would bet the house -- one. The one Jewish state in the world, Israel. Why the obsession on the one tiny Jewish nation for destruction in this big world full of poorly acting nations?

As I have said before the State of Israel has an expiry date, it is not a matter of if, only when.

Is that another fake quote like the one that you posted yesterday?

The planet Earth has an "exiry" date too and most likely Israel will be around to see it. :thumbsup:

The planet Earth has an "exiry" date too and most likely Israel will be around to see it. :thumbsup:

It was Rabbi Yaacov Perrin at the funeral of mass murderer Baruch Goldstein.

Israel has been illegally occupying Palestine since 1967. Israel constantly ignores United Nations Security Resolutions demanding the liberation of the occupied zones and the return of the refugees to their rightful homes (UN Resolutions 242 and 194). How is it possible that Israel maintains this expensive, racist, and dehumanizing settlement of Palestinian land? Through US funding and through the criminalization of the Palestinian people and cause. Historically we can see that no matter what form of occupation, colonization or genocide takes place, two things are necessary: money and ideology to justify humans treating others of our species so barbarically. Israel receives its money from the United States. The ideology, inherently racist and anti-Arab, is justified through religious doctrine, “scientific” analysis of the so-called “Arab mentality,” and a successful PR campaign that has painted the Palestinians not as refugees facing the racist guns of the fourth largest military on the planet, but as criminals, terrorists, and infiltrators into their own lands. Zionist Israelis regularly refer to the “Palestinian problem,” the plague, or even to the people of Palestine as “cockroaches.”

By Carol Baker and Shawn O’ Hern

Onward Newspaper, a source of "Anarchist News, Opinion, Theory and Strategy for Today"

So you hate a whole country because of the words of one nut case. How many have been said by Arabs about about Jews?

Here are just a few:

-Jews are the enemy of Allah.

-Islam is fighting a continuous religious war against the Jews.

-The killing of Jews is a religious obligation.

-Palestinians are the vanguard in this war against the Jews, and all Islamic nations are

obligated to assist in this war.

- All agreements with Israel are inherently temporary in nature, and are signed only because of Israel's temporary balance of power advantage.

-Jews are the enemy of Allah.

-"The Jews are the Jews. There never was among them a supporter of peace. They are all liars... the true criminals, the Jewish terrorists, that slaughtered our children, that turned our wives into widows and our children into orphans, and desecrated our holy places. They are terrorists. Therefore it is necessary to slaughter them and murder them, according to the words of Allah... it is forbidden to have mercy in your hearts for the Jews in any place and in any land. Make war on them anyplace that you find yourself. Any place that you encounter them -- kill them. Kill the Jews and those among the Americans that are like them... Have no mercy on the Jews, murder them everywhere..."

http://www.aish.com/jw/me/48883732.html

Edited by Ulysses G.

Statement by Ambassador Susan E. Rice, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, January 25, 2011

I am appalled by the recent personal blog written by Richard Falk, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on "the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967."

Mr. Falk's comments are despicable and deeply offensive, and I condemn them in the strongest terms. I have registered a strong protest with the UN on behalf of the United States. The United States has in the past been critical of Mr. Falk's one-sided and politicized approach to his work for the UN, including his failure to condemn deliberate human rights abuses by Hamas, but these blog comments are in another category altogether.

In my view, Mr. Falk's latest commentary is so noxious that it should finally be plain to all that he should no longer continue in his position on behalf of the UN. I would note that U.S. and many other diplomats walked out in protest in September 2010 when Iranian President Ahmadinejad made similarly slanderous remarks before the UN General Assembly.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

http://www.thewashin...ichard_falk_go/

Edited by kuffki

So true, i guess the arab world has been expired for a while nowwink.gif

Now with their condemnation of Bin Laden death, i am sure they will gain more respect and support from the Westrolleyes.gif

Just something little odd about this OP.

Just the other week, report released by Red Cross totally contradicts this report.

Yet this comes days after the so called unity deal which has not been very welcomed by a number of parties.

Coincidence???

Statement by Ambassador Susan E. Rice, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, January 25, 2011

I am appalled by the recent personal blog written by Richard Falk, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on "the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967."

Mr. Falk's comments are despicable and deeply offensive, and I condemn them in the strongest terms. I have registered a strong protest with the UN on behalf of the United States. The United States has in the past been critical of Mr. Falk's one-sided and politicized approach to his work for the UN, including his failure to condemn deliberate human rights abuses by Hamas, but these blog comments are in another category altogether.

In my view, Mr. Falk's latest commentary is so noxious that it should finally be plain to all that he should no longer continue in his position on behalf of the UN. I would note that U.S. and many other diplomats walked out in protest in September 2010 when Iranian President Ahmadinejad made similarly slanderous remarks before the UN General Assembly.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

This "report" in the OP - was written by the same Richard Falk that has just been discredited and apparently he did not even viist Gaza before writing it. Every A-hole has an opinion. :bah:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Who said that? I don't know, some moronic Jewish fascist. All peoples have examples of idiocy.

Now looking at you. How many established nations in the world are you cheerleading to be destroyed. I would bet the house -- one. The one Jewish state in the world, Israel. Why the obsession on the one tiny Jewish nation for destruction in this big world full of poorly acting nations?

"Little men with little minds and little imaginations go through life in little ruts, smugly resisting all changes which would jar their little worlds."

Zig Ziglar

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

This "report" in the OP - was written by the same Richard Falk that has just been discredited and apparently he did not even viist Gaza before writing it. Every A-hole has an opinion. :bah:

Yes and we all know who that is.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

Yes and we all know who that is.

who?unsure.gif

Do not take a quote out of context. The man that made the quote was harshly condemned by other rabbis and by Israelis.

This quote from the 1994 NYT says it all; That the lunatic fringe of the ultra-orthodox distort the ethical humanism of all that is noblest in the Zionist dream is not enough. They also diabolically distort Jewish sacred texts out of all recognition. The question "Who is a Jew?" begins to assume unforeseen dimensions when "The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose." (Rabbi) ALAN W. MILLER Clinical Associate Prof. of Theology in Psychiatry, Cornell Medical College New York, March 1, 1994

When lunatics from the arab and western world make comments that are far worse, does the arab world condemn them? Do the Immams that claim they are peaceful condemn and rebut the comments and statements of Iranian Ayatollehs?

And therein lies the difference. Israelis have the right to free speech, but they also are rebuked and condemned by their fellow countrymen when they make inappropriate comments and say the statements are wrong.

I don't have any issues with Kuffki. We have a differing opinion on Israel/Palestine. He has/gives his reasons, I have/give mine. No problem with not agreeing.

That is different to another poster who just trolls for a reaction.

Do not take a quote out of context. The man that made the quote was harshly condemned by other rabbis and by Israelis.

This quote from the 1994 NYT says it all; That the lunatic fringe of the ultra-orthodox distort the ethical humanism of all that is noblest in the Zionist dream is not enough. They also diabolically distort Jewish sacred texts out of all recognition. The question "Who is a Jew?" begins to assume unforeseen dimensions when "The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose." (Rabbi) ALAN W. MILLER Clinical Associate Prof. of Theology in Psychiatry, Cornell Medical College New York, March 1, 1994

When lunatics from the arab and western world make comments that are far worse, does the arab world condemn them? Do the Immams that claim they are peaceful condemn and rebut the comments and statements of Iranian Ayatollehs?

And therein lies the difference. Israelis have the right to free speech, but they also are rebuked and condemned by their fellow countrymen when they make inappropriate comments and say the statements are wrong.

You certainly make a valid point. I have never visited Israel, Iran or the Gaza Strip but can honestly say I think I would feel reasonably safe disagreeing with a hate statement made by an Israeli politician or rabbi. Due to regime etc in a lot of arab countries I think I'd keep my mouth shut, I value my well being.

The point is that, just because there is not such condemnation of anti-seminite speech in most arab ( I'll include Iran too here ) countries it does not automatically follow that the populace is in total support. More a reflection of the fear and control in many of these nations. As an example, I do not believe Ahmadinejad or the religious heads speak for the people of Iran as a whole.

My unsubstantiated opinion.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

What would you expect from Rice she is a puppet for the Zionist propaganda machine. Just another grub.

You right, anyone pro Israel or pro truth is zionist puppet, but anyone anti Arab is an infidel.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

What would you expect from Rice she is a puppet for the Zionist propaganda machine. Just another grub.

You right, anyone pro Israel or pro truth is zionist puppet, but anyone anti Arab is an infidel.

Ambassador Susan E. Rice

He forgot to add Allahu Akbar. I see the lib-lefty/Islamofascist alliance are very active at the moment, no doubt in preparation for a handful of banana republics and tinpot dictatorships recognising Palestine in September. Though I doubt somehow they will make up the aid losses when the civilised world stops writing cheques for those who deplore Osama Bin Laden's demise. :ph34r: