Those Little Prepaid Usb Internet Thingies

jaideeguy

Why have you linked CAT with TRUE??

CAT is on CDMA, not WCDMA. So no chance of picking up their signal on UMTS 850MHz.

Because CAT has signed a deal with True to convert most of CAT's 850mhz band to 3G (HSPA/HSDPA). It looks like CDMA will be a thing of the past. However, I don't know what will happen with current CDMA users.

No, the 25 provinces in question are the provinces covered by HUTCH.

Hmmm, I reread an article about it in the Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpo...at-sign-3g-deal

I saw no reference to Hutch in the article. Each and every reference to this deal has always mention CAT.Also the article mentions 51 provinces not 25.

Edited by BB1950

I bet we are using the same model USB stick. I bought mine in Saudi at Jarir Bookstore, its black and has a flip up arm that I never flip up. Yea it works anywhere with any sim, slow but sure in most cases. If you just need email service and little or no browsing might I suggest a BLACKBERRY. Not sure in Thailand but in the Middle East for about US$27 a month you get unlimited Blackberry messenger, 1 GB of net in country(and this can be tethered to a notebook) and 5 MB while roaming outside the country. You should be able to buy the low end Blackberry for around Baht 7500

For some years I use the "ZTE MODEM mobile connection". It's like an usb stick, swallows any sim-card of any country and, up to the contract of the sim you insert, it will connect you to GSM/EDGE/UMTS and and and..network. If you insert a valid sim it will work, anywhere. It is made in China and I bought it in SaudiArabia. Since then I used it in UAE, Malaysia, Singapore, Germany/Europe, Ukraine and in Thailand. If I didn't had any other connection it worked always fine for me. (as mentioned in a post before, a modern mobilephone can do the same. The advantage of an external modem is that your mobile isn't chained to the computer/laptop, I always use an extra sim for data)

fatfather

You should be able to source a new handset, with an GPRS/EDGE modem, which can connect to your PC via USB or bluetooth and act as a dial-up modem, for ~ 3,000 baht. An aircard will be ~ 1,700.

Tethering a phone via Bluetooth (or at least in the case of my HTC Desire) will run the battery flat so fast that the charger will even have trouble keeping up. Much better & more reliable to USB tether it.

Why have you linked CAT with TRUE??

CAT is on CDMA, not WCDMA. So no chance of picking up their signal on UMTS 850MHz.

Because CAT has signed a deal with True to convert most of CAT's 850mhz band to 3G (HSPA/HSDPA). It looks like CDMA will be a thing of the past. However, I don't know what will happen with current CDMA users.

No, the 25 provinces in question are the provinces covered by HUTCH.

Hmmm, I reread an article about it in the Bangkok Post

http://www.bangkokpo...at-sign-3g-deal

I saw no reference to Hutch in the article. Each and every reference to this deal has always mention CAT.Also the article mentions 51 provinces not 25.

CAT had 51 provinces. Hutch 25. CAT wanted to absorb Hutch. But this was 'abandoned' and a TRUE based consortium took over. These reports are poorly written.

It's not entirely clear what will happen to the CDMA network and to the people who have purchased expensive CDMA equipment. I thought that it would stay.

You should be able to source a new handset, with an GPRS/EDGE modem, which can connect to your PC via USB or bluetooth and act as a dial-up modem, for ~ 3,000 baht. An aircard will be ~ 1,700.

Tethering a phone via Bluetooth (or at least in the case of my HTC Desire) will run the battery flat so fast that the charger will even have trouble keeping up. Much better & more reliable to USB tether it.

It all comes down to the phone I guess, My Nokia N8 will go for about 4hrs on bluetooth before it dies good thing though when plugged in via USB it charges as well.

It all comes down to the phone I guess, My Nokia N8 will go for about 4hrs on bluetooth before it dies good thing though when plugged in via USB it charges as well.

How much is a Nokia N8? You can get a modem for less that £10(500 baht).

Yeah if you read back you will find Ive already mentioned a modem is cheaper than a decent phone so what is your point exactly, I was replying to a suggestion about battery life on phones so I fail to see why the need to attack.

Yeah if you read back you will find Ive already mentioned a modem is cheaper than a decent phone so what is your point exactly, I was replying to a suggestion about battery life on phones so I fail to see why the need to attack.

Not an attack. Just making a point. Nothing personal.

Hello jaideeguy, after I posted I thought I would do the

TV-Speed Test, below is the numbers I got with 3 tests

to Sing and then 3 to BKK with, the PhoneOne/Hauewi

EG 162G, EDGE/GPRS USB Stick with DTAC data sim.

In the past, I had never got over 220 kbps(AIS).

Again speeds do very from area to area and co. to co.

I hope this covers what you were asking in the OP, not

what could or may happen in the future.

The picture is one of those TIT nights, there's always

tomorrow.

rice555

SQ

Download Speed: 197 kbps (24.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 64 kbps (8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 660 ms

May 8, 2011 3:01:13 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 159 kbps (19.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 65 kbps (8.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 659 ms

May 8, 2011 3:02:48 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 263 kbps (32.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 67 kbps (8.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 677 ms

May 8, 2011 3:04:15 AM GMT+07:00

BKK

Download Speed: 205 kbps (25.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 61 kbps (7.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 679 ms

May 8, 2011 3:06:12 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 147 kbps (18.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 65 kbps (8.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 675 ms

May 8, 2011 3:07:55 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 215 kbps (26.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 58 kbps (7.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 696 ms

May 8, 2011 3:09:44 AM GMT+07:00

post-37242-0-05315300-1304871520_thumb.j

CAT had 51 provinces. Hutch 25. CAT wanted to absorb Hutch. But this was 'abandoned' and a TRUE based consortium took over. These reports are poorly written.

It's not entirely clear what will happen to the CDMA network and to the people who have purchased expensive CDMA equipment. I thought that it would stay.

Agreed. But at least you can see why I linked CAT with True. CAT will definitely piss off a few people who have purchased their expensive CDMA equipment, especially with no upgrade option. Only time will tell.

Agreed. But at least you can see why I linked CAT with True. CAT will definitely piss off a few people who have purchased their expensive CDMA equipment, especially with no upgrade option. Only time will tell.

Perhaps there will be an inexpensive option for Hutch customers to trade their soon to be useless modems for for a UMTS/HSPDA model. Strange that there has been no announcement. Which leads me to think that the CDMA network will remain for some time.

Calling it CAT/TRUE is a bit premature at the moment. Anyone asking for CAT 3G in Pattaya will likely be met with puzzled stares.

Perhaps there will be an inexpensive option for Hutch customers to trade their soon to be useless modems for for a UMTS/HSPDA model. Strange that there has been no announcement. Which leads me to think that the CDMA network will remain for some time.

Calling it CAT/TRUE is a bit premature at the moment. Anyone asking for CAT 3G in Pattaya will likely be met with puzzled stares.

Hard to say. Remember the TT&T/3BB breakup happened virtually without any announcement. Many loyal customers were left out in the cold without any internet. There was a mad dash trying to come up with an alternative.

TIT and anything can happen. ;)

Hard to say. Remember the TT&T/3BB breakup happened virtually without any announcement. Many loyal customers were left out in the cold without any internet. There was a mad dash trying to come up with an alternative.

TIT and anything can happen. ;)

Seems that they have made a statement A thinly veiled attack against the 'foreign' competition. They don't want DTAC coming in to actually supply a decent service.

They are also still selling the CDMA modems. Six month contracts though. ;)

http://www.hutch.co.th/index_en.htm

What a dodgy state of affairs.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu