Yellow Tabien Baan, Kor Ror 13

Today, we went and got me the yellow tabien baan book at Khet Khannayao.

Had to supply:

-copy of wife's tabien baan

-translated (stamped and signed by MFA) passport information page and visa stamp page.

-copy marriage certificate.

-copy marriage registration.

-supply two witnesses (Sis and brother in law), they had to fill in a two page form.

Took a little while, but the boss was easy about signing. There was some dithering on the correct spelling of my parent's names, but this was solved.

No khanom or other 'incentive' required.

Book was free!

A question:

This book gives me a Thai ID number. Can I use this on other forms?

Say, applying for Thai DL, CC and such?

:jap:

Edited by lopburi3
edit per later post

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the driving permit, yes. Indeed, a couple years back when I renewed my 5-year license, the gal asked if it was OK with me, of all things, if she used the yellow tambien ban # on the license rather than my passport #. Why not, sez I. I still find the driving permit handier for such as use at a bank for ID, haven't tried either in the last few years at a national part.

Mac

I was also issued a Thai '30 bht' medical card after getting my yellow book. Not that my first choice for medical care would be a government hospital but should a dire emergency arise I guess it's a useful fallback.

Do you need property to have the yellow tb? Or just the paperwork noted on post number 1?

No need to have property. Being on a non-immigrant vsa is enough, since 2008. But still, not every amphur will know this.

And how to get the MFA translations? Is there an agency in BKK that can take care of that? I am in Phuket.

Yes, there are many agencis in bangkk and probably a few in Phuket as well that can take care of the translation and legalisation at the MFA for you. Some embassies have lists of translation agencies.

I was also issued a Thai '30 bht' medical card after getting my yellow book. Not that my first choice for medical care would be a government hospital but should a dire emergency arise I guess it's a useful fallback.

Depending on your local hospital, some government hospitals are very good. Especially the provincial government hospitals are good.

Choose a good doctor, not a good hospital. Some good doctors work partime in government hospitals and also have a private practise or work in a private hospital.

Depending on your local hospital, some government hospitals are very good. Especially the provincial government hospitals are good.

Choose a good doctor, not a good hospital. Some good doctors work partime in government hospitals and also have a private practise or work in a private hospital.

A foreigner who happens to get a Yellow Book (I've got one also) can also get a 30 Baht/Gold Program card? First I've heard of that.

Thought only Thai citizens could get 30 baht card and they need a Thai ID card along with a Blue Book to be signed up to the 30 baht program.

I made a mistake in getting my Social Insurance done before my Yellow book and my DL, consequently I have two different numbers for ID, however I have to go the Social Security office to change the number to the same one as in my Yellow Book and also on my DL.

I never took any witnesses to get my Yellow book, just marriage certificate, passport, wife and documents to prove the condo belonged to my wife who could not be put on the Tambian Baan as she is already on one, and Thais cannot be on two.

Do you need property to have the yellow tb? Or just the paperwork noted on post number 1?

Silly me, of course I forgot to mention that copy of wife's tabien baan is required. The key doc, actually.

Otherwise NO yellow tabien baan.

I will edit my OP.

edit: I can't edit OP. Shucks. Can a mod put it in?

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

And how to get the MFA translations? Is there an agency in BKK that can take care of that? I am in Phuket.

I would not know about Phuket. That would make things difficult.

What we did was on instruction from translation company:

- Make a copy of passport info page and visa stamp page.

- Go to embassy (Norwegian in my case) and get these copies stamped as verified copies. 1100baht

- Take these copies to translation company located on ground floor inside news agent in MFA at Chaeng Wattana.

They translated these pages. Make sure they translate your name into Thai the same way as on your marriage papers!

350baht

- Go upstairs and get queue number for stamping and signing. Costs 400 baht per page for some reason. 50 baht extra for a selfaddressed envelope. They send the docs in 2 or 3 days. Or you can pick them up.

All in all not a cheap exercise...

At least the yellow book was free :rolleyes:

“Some good doctors work partime in government hospitals and also have a private practise or work in a private hospital.”

And some work fulltime in government hospitals and also have a private practice and/or work in a private hospital.

As Mario said, some government hospitals are well worth using.

“… a couple years back when I renewed my 5-year license, the gal asked if it was OK with me, of all things, if she used the yellow tambien ban # on the license rather than my passport #.”

Those numbers are just showing what id was used to confirm your identity when you applied for or renewed the DL. The DL number is above that, and is a separate number.

The officials at Khanayao are pretty good.

Are the offices still in the basement of Fashion Island? Or have they moved?

That is where I'm officially registered at least. They processed a yellow TB for my wife, as well as a family certificate which we used both for her Thai citizenship application. They know their stuff and are pretty easy going with all of this stuff.

A foreigner who happens to get a Yellow Book (I've got one also) can also get a 30 Baht/Gold Program card? First I've heard of that.

Thought only Thai citizens could get 30 baht card and they need a Thai ID card along with a Blue Book to be signed up to the 30 baht program.

I wasn't aware of the link between the yellow tablien bahn and the social security card (was 30 Baht originally, now no charge to use it)

If you have a work permit, you have to enroll in the social security system by law & pay contributions towards it (unless you're over 60). Then you are also issued with a card.

I've used my card on numerous occasions, it always causes confusion initially for the hospital staff when they are presented with a card by a farang.

I have also been to hospital outside my province of residence, got a receipt (and a sick note) and then claimed the cash back when I returned to my registered province.

Took 20 minutes to claim back 900 Baht. The Thai guy in front of me had just had 12,000 odd Baht refunded.

So, no it's not just limited to Thai nationals.

"Iwasn't aware of the link between the yellow tablien bahn and the social security card (was 30 Baht originally, now no charge to use it)"

They were not talking about social security. Social security and the 'Gold Card/30 Baht' are different programs.

"If you have a work permit, you have to enroll in the social security system by law & pay contributions towards it (unless you're over 60"

There is no such law. Not every employee, with work permit or not, is even eligible for social security.

The social security law was written for employees, Thai or whoever. The law doesn't differentiate between nationalities.

"Iwasn't aware of the link between the yellow tablien bahn and the social security card (was 30 Baht originally, now no charge to use it)"

They were not talking about social security. Social security and the 'Gold Card/30 Baht' are different programs.

"If you have a work permit, you have to enroll in the social security system by law & pay contributions towards it (unless you're over 60"

There is no such law. Not every employee, with work permit or not, is even eligible for social security.

The social security law was written for employees, Thai or whoever. The law doesn't differentiate between nationalities.

Hi TerryLH,

Have I mis-understood the reference to the "Thai '30 bht' medical card"?

What is the "Gold Card/30 Baht" - what's the 'Gold Card' referring to?

I had assumed the OP was referring to the medical card issued by the office of social security. When I go to hospital, the reference is always to the "bad-bra-gan-sang-kum"

Ok, maybe my use of "social security" in a farang sense could have been confusing. I was referring to the phrase many Thais use to refer to the medical card.

Perhaps that's why you said there is no such law about having to enroll into the social security system?

Silly me, of course I forgot to mention that copy of wife's tabien baan is required. The key doc, actually.

I will edit my OP.

I have a yellow Tambian baan and I am not married.....

The officials at Khanayao are pretty good.

Are the offices still in the basement of Fashion Island? Or have they moved?

That is where I'm officially registered at least. They processed a yellow TB for my wife, as well as a family certificate which we used both for her Thai citizenship application. They know their stuff and are pretty easy going with all of this stuff.

They are not bad, I guess.

They have moved. No longer at Fashion.

Khet Khannayao office is now at Kanchanapisek Soi 11/5.

To get there, you drive on Ram Inthra towards Minburi from Lak Si.

Right after you go under the Kanchanapisek, there is a bridge going up and to the right.

Get onto this. There is a sign at the strart of in thai which says to Kket Khannayao office.

Hold left, and get out where it says towards Seri Thai road.

Go down next to the Kanchanapisek for a kilometer or so and its down Soi 11/5.

Btw, anybody know at which labor office I apply for work permit, living in Khannayao?

Thanks to lopburi for editing OP. :jap:

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Hi TerryLH,

I had assumed the OP was referring to the medical card issued by the office of social security. When I go to hospital, the reference is always to the "bad-bra-gan-sang-kum"

Ok, maybe my use of "social security" in a farang sense could have been confusing. I was referring to the phrase many Thais use to refer to the medical card.

Perhaps that's why you said there is no such law about having to enroll into the social security system?

(amended below:)

Yes, I did mis-understand regarding the 30 baht card. Apparently this is issued to people not eligible for the social security system.

The 30 baht card requires a one-off registration payment of 30 baht. The social security system is compulsory, requires ongoing contributions as an employee and allows access to hospital services at no cost.

I understand the social security card gives more benefits than the 30 baht card.

Hi TerryLH,

The 30 Baht/Gold Card/Yellow Card I'm referring to is the card any Thai, working or not, age 1 or age 80, etc., can be a member of. The program began during the Thaksin's Administration. It's "THE" medical program that covers all Thai's and used primarily by the poor and many middle class, although the rich class could use it if desired. The program is administered by the National Health Security Organization. After going to the organizations home page, click on the NSHO Information link and then the Benefits Package link to see a summary of benefits. And from one of the links, attached is a copy of the National Health Security Act, 2002. Notice Section V says the services under the program are for the Thai population, although there are references in the act that says The Board will draw up the regulations which is where the real details of the program would be like specifically who is eligible.

It would seem to me that if the Gold Card program was available to anyone, even a farang who go a Yellow Book, this would be much more wide known, used a lot more (by all type of foreigners), etc. Any other farangs out there, especially you folks retired in Thailand under a Retirement O-A Visit/Extension of Stay, who have a Gold Card, obtain medical services at Thai hospitals under the program at basically no or little cost to you? If so, help out us other farangs and tell us how you got the Gold Card (Medical Card), etc. Although Thai's complain about using the program, they also would scream bloody murder if the govt tried to eliminate it because it gave the poor basic hospital care for the first time. And I can personally attest from watching my mother-in-law recently use the program for a major back operation that when the program's benefits are mixed with your out of pocket preferences (i.e., like you decide to pay for a private room vs stay in a open ward, but let the Gold card program pick up the rest of the hospital/surgery/medications costs) that the program is indeed a good deal, regardless of the complaining you hear about the program.

Once again, any other farangs out there, especially you folks retired in Thailand under a Retirement O-A Visit/Extension of Stay, who have a 30 Baht/Gold Program Card, obtain medical services at Thai hospitals under the program at basically no or little cost to you? If so, help out us other farangs and tell us how you got the card.

Thailand_NHS_Act.pdf

Edited by Pib

I will edit my OP.

Are you a condo owner?

Are you a condo owner?

As of 2008 you don't need to own a codo to be on a tabien baan. You need a house owner who is willing to allow you to be registered there and a non-immigrant visa plus what else the amphur might require, like a certificate of residence.

I will edit my OP.

Are you a condo owner?

For my case, I got the yellow one without beeing married but I own a condo and showed the documents from land department when applied at Ampur.

I use the Thai ID number of the TB in many ways such :

.On Thai driving licence

.On birth certificate of my kids

I also show the Yellow TB every year when I renew my visa, it is prove my residence in Thailand and exact address.

By the way, I am curious to know if I lose the yellow TB if I sale my condo, I guess Yes.

Edited by cosmont

I also show the Yellow TB every year when I renew my visa, it is prove my residence in Thailand and exact address.

Does it mean that you are not required to submit the 90-day reports?

Your 13 digit ID number should become your tax ID number as well as your driving licence number. It will be your ID card number too, if you ever become a Thai citizen.

Since 2008 district offices have had an obligation to register foreigners living in their districts, including those on short term visas. In practice you need your own condo, property in the name of your wive or a property owner who is willing to let you register using his address. Most landlords will refuse point blank because they are cheating on their taxes and mistakenly believe you might be able to sell the property or that they will not be able to get you out. You also need a district office that has bothered to read the 2008 amendment to the law on registration of persons. Otherwise they will assert that foreigners must be permanent residents to get on a tabien baan.

I have tried without success to find out what are the regulations for foreigners getting gold health cards. This also seems to vary depending on the whims of district office officials. By the way anyone working and in Social Security scheme is not entitled to use the gold card. Nowadays all workers except company directors must in the Social Security scheme which actually provides lower benefits than the gold card scheme that came later.

Lately for renew of driver license and change of owership of vehicles, the government offices are not accepting the yellow book, they want you to go get a letter of residence . this has happened twice to my friends in Surin and Bangkok....