Thaksin Offers Easy Credit, Credit Cards For Taxi Drivers

webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess in part it depends on how such a program would be structured...

If it's done in a way that the credit pretty much can only be used to assist taxi drivers in getting cars and building their individual businesses, then you could argue that's a good thing.

On the other hand, if it's freebie credit to go and spend on whatever you want, for a low-income and little educated population, that's probably not such a good thing...

Especially when considering that the standard bank interest rate in Thailand for credit cards is 20% per year..

But then, overlying that, is the not so far-fetched perception that the entire proposal is just a vote-buying scheme by a convicted, bail jumping politician who will do or say anything he thinks will get him back into power and perhaps even recover the seized portion of his fortune -- regardless of who gets trampled or harmed in the process.

Have read about half the responses on here - and as usual the vast majority are from the right-wing farang brigade. Not a pleasant bunch.

So what's so terribly wrong with offering credit to generally poorer sections of society, such as those that most taxi drivers are from?

Wait, what, right-wing?

The latest euro-leftist approach to try to smear everyone that doesn't support an uprising that the former have romanticised into being more than a hired bunch of hooligans?

What is right-wing with being against seeing poor people being tricked into aving CCs that might increase their debts?

Unless you think it is a free-for-all card, payed by tax-payers...

Edited by TAWP

Thaksin, and others, have handed out easy credit loans like this before...

End result is no control over what the new consumer country folk bought; motorcys, cellphones, and a new plasma 42" TV for the wooden house on stilts... then suddenly no money to pay off the loans and interest, repossessed farms, houses, etc, .... final result - desperation, turn to crime, suicide, send the daughters(and sons) off to the Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket bars, con your own family out of money, etc, etc... (and of course the rich getting richer all through these consumer feeding frenzies)...

those of you here long enough have all heard at least one, if not all, of these stories from acquaintances ....

Thailand as we know it now was not always like this, there once were genuine smiles, family values, and real love... these cheap gimmick loans end up doing so much damage to countries, in so many ways... :(

Have read about half the responses on here - and as usual the vast majority are from the right-wing farang brigade. Not a pleasant bunch.

So what's so terribly wrong with offering credit to generally poorer sections of society, such as those that most taxi drivers are from?

what's terribly wrong about it is: It maybe looks normal already to most people, but most of them will only get into more trouble later on. Google: "zeitgeist the movie" ... you can watch 3 movies (documantry) for about 7 hours and you will know the details about our money system.

The credit card would be for fuel costs, Thaksin said, adding that he did not want to give out details for fear that rival parties would copy the policies.

What a patriot! If it's that great an idea and it's good for the people, how sleazy is it that he refused to share it? If he really cared wouldn't he want his great idea implemented by any party in power? Strange politics here indeed. Also raises doubts, do these supposed "details" even exist or if they do would they expose what a horrible idea it really is?

"Farmers will be getting credit cards, now taxi drivers should get them, too," Thaksin said.

Excuse me. My father in law is a farmer and there's nobody who could confirm such a statement.

For what reason will farmers get credit cards? Sorry Mr. Thaksin aren't you a convicted criminal? My question being is: "should people like him be allowed to tell lies using a huge monitor, but holding an Montenegrin passport"? :jap:

Nothing good or helpful in giving credit to the poor. All it does is bury them deeper in their troubles whilst lining the pockets of those better off. Far better to teach the poor methods in which to live within their means and in which to stay as far away from borrowing as is possible. Good advice for anyone actually, rich or poor.

I guess that lets me off the hook too..........

I have to declare that I too am a convicted criminal........43mph in a 30mph limit........

Therefore by the attitude of many here I have no voice...........

I will let those of you who have not been so delinquent as to carry a conviction continue on with your saintly diatribe.......:)

Edited by 473geo

i think Thaksin offering this kind of deal to taxi drivers is contemptuous of taxi drivers in general

he obviously thinks they are all stupid to not see this scheme for what it is

Abhisit has put billions on the table at low interest rates to try to get people like taxi drivers out of debt and the hands of loan sharks

Thaksin wants to put them back under the debt thumb..........

I hate to say it, but it seems he knows his people very well, and sadly enough he( Thaksin) is correct about his people

To my mind ALL Thaksins video links and any sort of broadcasts should be banned. He is the complete trouble maker, and a convicted man---why is he allowed to keep influencing the poor people here, They still believe in him he knows it. A good percentage of his voters cannot read, and money handouts are their only interest, he always picks the weakest to gain support and power.

Exactly. He is a convicted criminal, living in exile. (even if self Imposed) On that alone he should not be allowed to voice an opinion. Surely as someone has already stated, if his party wins they will just be banned or the military will just form another coup? Still Thaksin would get a good result. Throwing the Country into more turmoil?

jb1

I have to declare that I too am a convicted criminal........43mph in a 30mph limit........

I will let those of you who have not been so delinquent as to carry a conviction continue on with your saintly diatribe.......:)

You were sentenced to jail?

In any way, I have never been [caught] for anything and as such have a voice then. And I will gladely use it. ;)

Thaksin, and others, have handed out easy credit loans like this before...

End result is no control over what the new consumer country folk bought; motorcys, cellphones, and a new plasma 42" TV for the wooden house on stilts... then suddenly no money to pay off the loans and interest, repossessed farms, houses, etc, .... final result - desperation, turn to crime, suicide, send the daughters(and sons) off to the Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket bars, con your own family out of money, etc, etc... (and of course the rich getting richer all through these consumer feeding frenzies)...

those of you here long enough have all heard at least one, if not all, of these stories from acquaintances ....

Thailand as we know it now was not always like this, there once were genuine smiles, family values, and real love... these cheap gimmick loans end up doing so much damage to countries, in so many ways... :(

I totally agree with your post. The old: 'hanging a Buddha around their daughters neck" and sending them to strange places to make money is true. Of course they know that there's not more to sell than their bodies in part, or full time agreements.

Many of them become drug addicts and end up in deep shit.

But does it really matter in the end when they are able to pay back their money?

They all take loans, not thinking how to pay them back, the so called money sharks here are everywhere. First warning is a verbal one.

The second's already destroying bones. The last 'advice' then is that they better hang themselves, what actually happens pretty often.

Like three years ago in my hood.

I remember when people in the village were talking about the good life before.

Some had rice, some had some fruits, some had vegetables and they helped each other.

The very sad part is that the so said genuine smiles had almost disappeared.

Not even the Thais are able to differentiate the different meanings of their own smiles now. :jap:

Edited by sirchai

Nothing good or helpful in giving credit to the poor. All it does is bury them deeper in their troubles whilst lining the pockets of those better off. Far better to teach the poor methods in which to live within their means and in which to stay as far away from borrowing as is possible. Good advice for anyone actually, rich or poor.

I agree..... educate....apparently one of the benefits mentioned regarding the use of the PC tablets distributed previously, was the ability to educate regarding household budgets........

Shame there are so many who believe there is no future for the PC tablet in schools........

Thaksin's preaching to the converted here. A bilingual friend of mine was in a taxi the other day and when it started to rain the driver shook his fist at the sky & said "why doesn't he just leave us alone". I have heard even more explicit remarks that I obviously can't repeat here.<_<

I wonder if Thaksin is such a megalomaniac that he thinks that he has to campaign in order to win or if he has a deeper strategy. As others have pointed out, having Thaksin campaign for them so openly might very well lead to the PT's party dissolution. This would obviously bring the Reds out into the street again and, coupled with accusations of an unfair or rigged election, could raise the level of conflict from civil disobedience to civil war.:blink:

Deepening of the divide and even prolonged civil conflict is an inevitability IMO. Civil war? Perhaps but it will be a certain event that triggers the next coup and that could be a possible scenario.

Thaksin said, adding that he did not want to give out details for fear that rival parties would copy the policies.

More accurately, he hasn't spent more than five minutes thinking about this policy and hasn't a clue about the details.

I am amazed about all the posts about taxi who doesnt use meters....personnaly i only avoid the tourists spot where taxi wait and i rarely have to tell the taxi to put the meter, he does it alone. Of cours if all the previous comments are about taxis waiting outside nana, cowboys or patpong...i understand better. Maybe also, even if i am a foreigner and not so confident in my thai language, i speak to them in thai and they appreciate it...so maybe dear fellows you should try this and don t rush in taxis parked.....

About Thaksin, this is the perfect exemple of populsim and sadly it works very well.

I am quite concerned about the poll results and the events following them...

Why do you cal them right wing?

You were sentenced to jail?

In any way, I have never been [caught] for anything and as such have a voice then. And I will gladely use it. ;)

Within your limitations.......of course be my guest....... unfortunately with absolutely no personal understanding of falling foul of the law........:)

Vote buying disguised as credit.

Things Thaksin failed to mention:

1) high interest of course

2) late payment fees

3) higher cash advance fees

4) annual fee

5) direct bill pay from bank account, so there is no escape.

6) His company is the credit credit issuer

index01_01.png

Capital OK, a joint venture of Shin Corporation of Thailand and DBS

Edited by Buchholz

My only response to this proposal is that at the end of the day, the banks offering this will want more than their Kilo of flesh, and unless Thaksin can/has found some amazing way around this, those in need of this, will get slaughtered financially if it is eventually implemented.

And better yet, a government which has (anongst other things) two major policies:

1. Upgrade od education and quality education in all parts of Thailand for every child.

2. Ensure that new factories and other work opportunites etc etc are spread right across Thailand,

So that the majority of the population have opportunity and capability to lift their standard of living to an acceptable level through their own productivity.

I am amazed about all the posts about taxi who doesnt use meters....personnaly i only avoid the tourists spot where taxi wait and i rarely have to tell the taxi to put the meter, he does it alone. Of cours if all the previous comments are about taxis waiting outside nana, cowboys or patpong...i understand better. Maybe also, even if i am a foreigner and not so confident in my thai language, i speak to them in thai and they appreciate it...so maybe dear fellows you should try this and don t rush in taxis parked.....

About Thaksin, this is the perfect exemple of populsim and sadly it works very well.

I am quite concerned about the poll results and the events following them...

Pratunam, MBK and certain other places have an abundance of Taxis that won't use meters; standing or moving. Much worse there than the red light districts you mention in my experience. In Soi Cowboy on Asok there's a lot of chancers but go up the other end to Soi 23 and they are better. Around Patpong at night is a nightmare and I don't even go there but have to deal with the chancers when I am coming back from Office Depot on Silom or in that area.

I use taxis quite regularly, tell them where I am going in perfect Thai and find about 5% won't run the meter, from wherever I get them in Bangkok.

As my Thai g/f says it's not only foreigners, local Thais are aware of this problem too, especially when it is raining.

Vote buying disguised as credit.

Things Thaksin failed to mention:

1) high interest of course

2) late payment fees

3) higher cash advance fees

4) annual fee

5) direct bill pay from bank account, so there is no escape.

6) His company is the credit credit issuer

index01_01.png

Capital OK, a joint venture of Shin Corporation of Thailand and DBS

Achievable then.......but in your post above you declared he had not thought this through...............not very clever........:)

Going to be wonderful in the next few weeks catching a Bangkok taxi and having to put up with the pro Thaksin monologue. Don't argue with them you will either get kicked out of the cab or taken somewhere you didn't want to go...happened to us !!!

Normally if one is banished from a country (self imposed or not) one fades away

Thaksin is employing the use of modern technology to ensure this doesn't happen

Ably assisted by the Thaksin haters on Tvisa who ensure he is constantly to the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

And amply reinforced by the Thaksin lovers on TVisa who ensure he is constantly in the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

Same old crap...promise and give things to buy votes when in reality the people are too stupid to know that he's just digging a hole for them that they can't climb out of.

And the alternative is just to stay in the hole they are already in?

So dig a bigger hole is the answer?

This would be very bad news for loan sharks whether they be from upcountry or the city dwelling type.

A lot of Thai's run small business to survive i.e. they are self employed.

Just like any other business they sometimes need credit to purchase stocks such as rice for planting, stocks for their shop, or as in this case may be a Taxi.

The ONLY chance they have at the moment is to borrow from Loan Sharks who charge 20% interest per month.

Even if Thaksin set up a credit scheme charging 16% interest p.a.

it would massively undercut what Loan Sharks charge.

Thaksin is targeting these people in the upcoming elections, where as Abhisit is targeting civil servants with salary hikes.

When does his 5 year ban end? anyone know? I think it must be this year sometime.

I agree..... educate....apparently one of the benefits mentioned regarding the use of the PC tablets distributed previously, was the ability to educate regarding household budgets........

Shame there are so many who believe there is no future for the PC tablet in schools........

If you believe in the project you are more than welcome to put up your own money for a pilot project in some village. Report back the result after 2 years.

Normally if one is banished from a country (self imposed or not) one fades away

Thaksin is employing the use of modern technology to ensure this doesn't happen

Ably assisted by the Thaksin haters on Tvisa who ensure he is constantly to the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

And amply reinforced by the Thaksin lovers on TVisa who ensure he is constantly in the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

And appreciate no doubt the wonderful job you guys are doing helping them out....especially as some would have it they may even be gaining reward for each mention........

You guys are generous to a fault......undying enthusiam to support the Thaksin lovers..........:) ......and keep his name right in the spotlight........