Getting Married

Hi,

Getting married in bkk soon with my thai GF, do i need some evidence from my home country that i'm not married from before? Also, any advice about the marriage process to obtain a visa based on marriage appreciated.

Thanks.

You require a paper from your embassy so if previously married they will want some proof that you are not now. You need to check with them what might be required. You then have that paper translated into Thai and legalized at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After that is done you are free to marry at any District Office in Thailand.

There is no visa for marriage but you can obtain a non immigrant O visa on that basis and one year extensions of stay from Immigration are available if you have 40k per month income or 400k in bank account two months here.

Your Embassy in Bangkok issues the letter - what they require will be up to them. You should check (if they have web site it may be posted).

Thanks, had a look and found this:

Prior to getting married in Thailand (a civil marriage), the following documents have to be obtained from Finland:

• a multilingual certificate of no impediment (i.e. a certificate of capacity under Finnish law to contract marriage before a foreign authority) from the register office or parish of the place of residence . Certificate of no impediment is valid four months.
  • certificate of salary in English from employer
  • a reference letter with names, addresses and signatures of two Finns residing in Finland
  • a passport
  • the address and occupational title according to his/her own inforamtion
  • and district office where to be married, according to his/her own information.

Point number 2 is a problem as currently not working but have money in the bank (more then the 400K for extension based on marriage), any suggestions how to do? Sorry for the questions but no idea where to start.

Edited by kollart

Maybe you will find the services of www.siam-legal.com useful....They are a bit expensive but they do all the procedures for you and there is no hassle. i married using them....Paid about 35k baht....in 09. They are opposite Robinson's on Sukhumvit...:jap:

Edited by Debothai

In a similar situation at the moment myself. Could I ask the ever knowledgeable Lopburi and Mario to confirm that KL is the only place to get a 1 year multi entry Non Imm-O with 100K in the bank only (shown in a bank book)?

I am currently on a rapidly expiring Non Imm B and I assume I would have to leave the country to get this. My income from overseas varies a lot and no way to get my hands on 400K at the moment!

Many thanks as always.

In a similar situation at the moment myself. Could I ask the ever knowledgeable Lopburi and Mario to confirm that KL is the only place to get a 1 year multi entry Non Imm-O with 100K in the bank only (shown in a bank book)?

I am currently on a rapidly expiring Non Imm B and I assume I would have to leave the country to get this. My income from overseas varies a lot and no way to get my hands on 400K at the moment!

Many thanks as always.

Kl is a sure bet in the region, with showhing 100,000 in the bank. This doesn't need to be a bank in Thailand, any bank will do. A bank book will do, as will an online statement of your bank these days.

If you can't show 100,000, Brisbane Australia would be an alternative. Vietnam and Indonesia might be too, but too few reports to be sure.

No lawyer needed for a pre-nup, but it might be advisble. It must be according to the law and it must be entered into the wedding register when you marry.

Not sure if you can do it afterward, might be but will be a lot of headache, with court permisison etc.