Thaksin: I'll Return At End Of Year

webfact

Thaksin: I'll return at end of year

By The Nation

Fugitive expm Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday he would return to Thailand around November this year to celebrate New Year and declare a second round of the war on drugs.

Thaksin has been at the centre of controversy over the sumฌmary execution of thousands of suspects allegedly relating to the narcotics trade following his warondrugs policy during his administration. He stopped short of saying anything about turning himself in to face fraud and corruption charges after fleeing the country in August 2008.

Thaksin made the remarks during an address to a seminar panel organised by the Pheu Thai Party as part of its election campaign at Wat Sapan in Bangkok's Klong Toey District.

Klong Toey community leader Prateep Ungsongtham asked the Pheu Thai what were the party's antidrug policies and how could it prevent drug smuggling from neighbouring countries without hurting ties with them. Prateep also revealed she had asked young drug sellers: Who supplied the drugs? And they told her state officials did.

Thaksin said he felt sad for some police officers who bought their way to higher posts. "They want to climb [the ladder to promotion] so they seek loans, extort and do whatฌever they can to get money to give to people in Government House. If the Pheu Thai Party gets to form the government, the party will do away with this illpractice,'' he said.

He also said if the Pheu Thai takes the government reins, the party would declare war on drugs for a second round. "We will solve the problem within 12 months. We will start from a soft to hard approach. We will not order police to kill anyone. Police must first stop drug dealing, and witness protection measures are a must, as they would help us obtain informaฌtion. We also need military officials to help solve the problem in an integrated way."

Thaksin said he could talk to neighbouring countries to end problems. "When I was in the government, we had good relationships with our neighbours. If I were still in the government, there would not have been [milฌitary] clashes,'' he said.

"I will definitely come back at the end of this year. Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport, drug traders will stop trading. We must give officials incentives. Giving them money on the table is better than under the table. Officials want to have integrity but they cannot earn enough to eat. We also take action against large traders and let small drug traders earn a living in the right way by fuelling our economy,'' he said.

Meanwhile, House Speaker Chai Chidchob has warned Thaksin against helping the Pheu Thai in its election campaign since it could result in the party being dissolved.

Chai said people whom the Election Commission has banned from taking part in election campaigning include party executives of dissolved parties. If they helped any party rally for votes, that party faced being dissolved.

"I think Thaksin knows the law. He probably took the opportunity to [ give the advice] before the Royal decree on dissolving the House was announced in the Royal gazette. After that he may try to evade the law or exploit legal loopholes,'' Chai said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-09

DPM Suthep not worried about Thaksin's planned return to Thailand in Nov; says he will have to go to jail once he lands in Thailand /TAN_Network

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems from the recent polls that more Thais than not would like him to come back. If he does he'll have the Democrat's incompetence to thank. They were handed the reigns and then rode in circles for 2 1/2 years.

Which recent polls are those?

Noppadol Kannikar, director of Abac Poll, said the survey found that 36.4 per cent of the survey respondents would select Pheu Thai, the current opposition leader, while 34.1 per cent would tick the Democrats.

That indicates that 36.4% want Thaksin back and 63.6% don't. That's assuming that if they want Thaksin back then they support the PTP, which is a fair assumption I think.

He also said if the Pheu Thai takes the government reins, the party would declare war on drugs for a second round. "We will solve the problem within 12 months.

The seemingly obligatory ridiculous Thaksin time-line most recently represented by

"I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.”

Anyway, time for a new round of Drug War deaths so that all drugs can once again be completely eradicated... just like they were before.

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Nation - April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/read.php?newsid=77076&keyword=Thaksin+declares+the+country+%27drug

He also said if the Pheu Thai takes the government reins, the party would declare war on drugs for a second round. "We will solve the problem within 12 months.

The seemingly obligatory ridiculous Thaksin time-line ...

Which he has also added ...

Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport, drug traders will stop trading.

From the OP k. Thaksin said

""I will definitely come back at the end of this year. Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport,""

the courts can finally dust off those dossiers concerning all the cases which were awaiting my return :)

From the OP k. Thaksin said

""I will definitely come back at the end of this year. Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport,""

the courts can finally dust off those dossiers concerning all the cases which were awaiting my return :)

Based on his initial conviction, he also has 730 days of this awaiting his plane touching down at Suvarnabhumi Airport

thaksinreturns.png

It seems from the recent polls that more Thais than not would like him to come back. If he does he'll have the Democrat's incompetence to thank. They were handed the reigns and then rode in circles for 2 1/2 years.

http://www.thaivisa....-margin-survey/

Noppadol Kannikar, director of Abac Poll, said the survey found that 36.4 per cent of the survey respondents would select Pheu Thai, the current opposition leader, while 34.1 per cent would tick the Democrats.

That indicates that 36.4% want Thaksin back and 63.6% don't. That's assuming that if they want Thaksin back then they support the PTP, which is a fair assumption I think.

Assumptions! At this stage, 36% of the electorate (from the above survey figures) prefer Peau Thai, which doesn't necessarily mean 'want Thaksin back'.

I bet if you had a straight up poll, asking 'do you want Thaksin to come back and walk free' - along with an explanation of what this means for the judicial integrity of the country, the largest portion would say 'no'.

Assumptions! At this stage, 36% of the electorate (from the above survey figures) prefer Peau Thai, which doesn't necessarily mean 'want Thaksin back'.

I bet if you had a straight up poll, asking 'do you want Thaksin to come back and walk free' - along with an explanation of what this means for the judicial integrity of the country, the largest portion would say 'no'.

Unless they got the 500Baht pre signing on fee from k Thaksin :whistling:

Hhhhmm, the most corrupt promising to clean up the corrupt. Doesn't sound like a solid plan to me...........If the head leader scoffs the law, he's only going to accomplish the task of teaching everyone that no one needs to respect Thai laws.

I will be very happy to see him back.

This government has done nothing for us. I think that corruption is the number 1 problem here from small time street vendors right up to Government officials and Army allowing drugs to come into my country. When they let them in, they get richer. The way to stop or at least begin to stop corruptin in Thailand is to give good salaries and so people can live good life. This way there will be less chance of corruptions. When my childrens come from University they can only get low paying jobs. If children can finish University and get a good job that give them enough money to live a decent life then it will help their journy in life to take the middle path and go away from direction of corruption.

I am 50 year Thai and think government must start with:

1. Education at International standards for ALL Thai. Not only rich. English language must be good.
  2. Good health care for ALL Thai people.
  3. Thailand MUST have good internet if we want to compete Internationally.
  4. Labor standards to be set so people can be to make good money for future
  5. Stop corruption in Thailand at the same time as raising salaries.
  6. Stop drugs here and even if people need to die. The drug dealers will know a law and if continue then they know have death penalty.
  7. Have better anf fast system set up to help victoms of disasters because it seems to happen more these days.
  8. Make peace with our neighbours even if it mean to give temple rights away in Cambodia and allow access for tourist.

I also have many foreign friend who complain about the visa rules etc so maybe if government can take the fee for visas and apply it direct to Education or war on drugs then the foreigner can feel good about where the visa money goes.

I know in the world all government have corruption but when Thaksin was our PM he did not hide it like many other governments. I can accept this. Maybe if Abhisit have more money and experience he could have done the good job but it is proved that he did not and he have his chance already.

Your making a very big assumption that the poll automatically means the people want thaksin back. There have been several news articles saying that a number ot pt politicians / hopefuls would like thaksiin to go away. Plus the total of 36% support is highly influenced by the red shirt areas, not necessarily all of Thailand. Plus the red shirt areas will undoubtedly by liking thaksins claims of credit cards for farmers etc., without realizing that he is up to his old tricks. Where has thaksin spken about long-term policies and actions to fix the inequities in Thailand. Just more band-aids.

This government has done nothing for us. I think that corruption is the number 1 problem here from small time street vendors right up to Government officials and Army allowing drugs to come into my country. When they let them in, they get richer. The way to stop or at least begin to stop corruptin in Thailand is to give good salaries and so people can live good life. This way there will be less chance of corruptions. When my childrens come from University they can only get low paying jobs. If children can finish University and get a good job that give them enough money to live a decent life then it will help their journy in life to take the middle path and go away from direction of corruption.

1. Education at International standards for ALL Thai. Not only rich. English language must be good.
  6. Stop drugs here and even if people need to die. The drug dealers will know a law and if continue then they know have death penalty.
  7. Have better anf fast system set up to help victoms of disasters because it seems to happen more these days.
  8. Make peace with our neighbours even if it mean to give temple rights away in Cambodia and allow access for tourist.

I also have many foreign friend who complain about the visa rules etc so maybe if government can take the fee for visas and apply it direct to Education or war on drugs then the foreigner can feel good about where the visa money goes.

I know in the world all government have corruption but when Thaksin was our PM he did not hide it like many other governments. I can accept this. Maybe if Abhisit have more money and experience he could have done the good job but it is proved that he did not and he have his chance already.

Well said that man :) really good on you for coming out and saying what you think is right form a well educated and structured point on view from a Thai native. Maybe i dont agree but I think you make some very very good points, my only real arguament would be about allowing drugs into your country. Thailand was and is one of the largest producers of Marajuina in the world, it is a native species here! Also drugs are everywhere, you cannot stop it 100% and this is something we must all live with.

"The way to stop or at least begin to stop corruptin in Thailand is to give good salaries and so people can live good life. This way there will be less chance of corruptions."

Having money doesn't stop corruption. It actually helps corruption since people have more money to pay for it.

The only way to stop corruption is education and prosecution.

I don't have enough time to comment on the rest of your points - some are good, but some are ridiculous.

I don't think that you can count the entire 36.4% of PTP vorets actually being "we want Thaksin back" voters. Most would be though

I don't think that you can count the entire 36.4% of PTP vorets actually being "we want Thaksin back" voters. Most would be though

No. But the point was, that those that don't vote for PTP most likely don't want Thaksin back either.

So, AT A MAXIMUM, 36.4% want Thaksin back. Certainly not a majority (not that the reds know what a majority means).

It's good to see that 50-year-old Thais educated enough to have a perfect command of English are empassioned enough about Thai politics to conclusively put down their political thoughts on a first-ever Thavisa post along with a series of suggestions to fix Thailand's problems. Did you know that your bullet points are almost exactly Thaksin's own ideas, word for word? I can see why you would vote for him.

But, hang on, you're saying that corruption is bad, and then you're saying that Thaksin was nice and open about it. You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. You talk about drugs and corruption, referencing the army and government. But Thaksin oversaw this whole operation, and he didn't want to change it back then - he just wanted his share. Some might argue that he was kicked out because he wanted more than his share.

And I agree, drug dealers are the scum of the earth. They are all murderers, pimps and rapists and they all deserve to die; it's a myth that the network of drug dealing is full of victims of social circumstances. And those drug mules in particular should be subject to death by genital electrocution. But, hang on, the most recent investigation - you know, the one first shelved by Thaksin and then by the Samak administration - show that less than half of the people killed had any ties whatsoever with the drug industry. Would a collateral damage rate of 60%+ be acceptable to you in the next war on drugs?

You make a lot of interesting points in your post, much like the Quadrangled Prophet himself, but really no indication of how it's going to be executed.

Thaksin says govt has no ability to really understand what problems Thailand has

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra, a former Prime Minister, has blamed the government for lacking the ability to comprehend the issues in the country, adding that he will return to Thailand no later than this year.

In his phone-in speech, Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin said he was concerned about the Thai economy even though the number of export had improved but political conflicts in the Kingdom remained a threat.

He cited the inability of the government to see the whole picture as a problem, claiming that those in the government had never had a rough past like he did; therefore, they could not see the roots of the problem. The former Prime Minister also reiterated that drug abuse in the Thai society could be solved if every sector was involved.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-09 footer_n.gif

It's good to see that 50-year-old Thais educated enough to have a perfect command of English are empassioned enough about Thai politics to conclusively put down their political thoughts on a first-ever Thavisa post along with a series of suggestions to fix Thailand's problems. Did you know that your bullet points are almost exactly Thaksin's own ideas, word for word? I can see why you would vote for him.

But, hang on, you're saying that corruption is bad, and then you're saying that Thaksin was nice and open about it. You want to get rid of corruption but want the most corrupt guy at the head of your country? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. You talk about drugs and corruption, referencing the army and government. But Thaksin oversaw this whole operation, and he didn't want to change it back then - he just wanted his share. Some might argue that he was kicked out because he wanted more than his share.

And I agree, drug dealers are the scum of the earth. They are all murderers, pimps and rapists and they all deserve to die; it's a myth that the network of drug dealing is full of victims of social circumstances. And those drug mules in particular should be subject to death by genital electrocution. But, hang on, the most recent investigation - you know, the one first shelved by Thaksin and then by the Samak administration - show that less than half of the people killed had any ties whatsoever with the drug industry. Would a collateral damage rate of 60%+ be acceptable to you in the next war on drugs?

You make a lot of interesting points in your post, much like the Quadrangled Prophet himself, but really no indication of how it's going to be executed.

Could it be that Khun Thaksin himself is posting?? he wouldnt, would he????????????

Exciting times will soon be upon us. :)

Mr. Thaksin's triumphant return may be quite an event. I look forward to that day, if only to watch some TVFers fall to the ground in an apoleptic state, frothing at the mouth and choking on their words. :lol:

I

May I be the first to welcome back Police Lt. Col. Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. I've been keeping a seat warm for you. You have been sorely missed.

May I also say that it is both brave and clever of you to re-initiate one of your most popular policies; the War on Drugs.

This government have utterly failed to address the worsening drug and crime problems. I notice they have made the ISOC our new drug suppressing agents, the same group that was responsible for Tak Bai and the Rohingya refugee incidents amongst others. Clutching at straws? I'd say so.

The seemingly obligatory ridiculous Thaksin time-line most recently represented by

"I promise that I will make all Thai people rich within six months.”

Anyway, time for a new round of Drug War deaths so that all drugs can once again be completely eradicated... just like they were before.

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Nation - April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/read.php?newsid=77076&keyword=Thaksin+declares+the+country+%27drug

I very much hate his definite statements, using words like "will" instead of "hope to" or "plan to". The reality is that just about everything has some degree of uncertainty, and when it comes to Thaksin, the degree of uncertainty is quite high, based on past history, surrounding circumstances and that he does not have 100% control over things. Adding a definite time frame like "within six months" or "at end of the year" just makes his statements even more ridiculous. How could he be so sure of things? How can anyone with some sense of logic truly believe his definite statements? Such definite statements are not something that a leader of a country should be making, as when they don't happen as so confidently predicted by himself then he loses credibility. His statement "Just when my plane touches down at Suvarnabhumi Airport, drug traders will stop trading" is one of the most ridiculous statements ever, and the fact that it comes from someone trying to be the leader of the country (again) makes it even more absurd.

Edited by hyperdimension

May I be the first to welcome back Police Lt. Col. Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra. I've been keeping a seat warm for you. You have been sorely missed.

May I also say that it is both brave and clever of you to re-initiate one of your most popular policies; the War on Drugs.

This government have utterly failed to address the worsening drug and crime problems. I notice they have made the ISOC our new drug suppressing agents, the same group that was responsible for Tak Bai and the Rohingya refugee incidents amongst others. Clutching at straws? I'd say so.

I am not surprised to see that you express approval of the extra-judicial murders of at least 1400 innocents in Thaksin's "War on Drugs", I would assume that reminding you that Tak Bai and Khru Seh happened under Thaksin's administration as did the beginnings of the Rohingya problems .... yes, you are clutching at straws.