Black Mesh Jackets

KRS1

Thinking of picking up a mesh jacket from the US, but not sure about black because of heat.

Anyone using a black mesh/textile jacket and sweating to death during summertime?

I've got a black Komine mesh jacket. It's not too bad for heat but obviously having a black jacket on isn't ideal when it's 35 degrees and sunny. I wouldn't buy another black one to be honest, different colours don't attract the heat and also look better IMO.

MIne's black as well, and yes it is hot when stationary, but cool once on the move. I usually wear a thinner cotton t-shirt underneath the jacket to offset the heat...

I have an older 60/40 black / white jacket, and a new 100% black one; The black one breathes much better than the old one - however, as I have discovered, it's also a lot hotter. Color makes a much bigger difference than I thought.

I also find my new white helmet to be much cooler than the black one I had previously.

Definitely recommend against buying an all black jacket.

I can only tell you about my Komine jacket.. it is about twice the weight but i think it will give about 5 times the protection.. I have been down the road with a mesh jacket (low speed) and one arm sleeve kinda melted to my skin.. luckily not bad, but also there was no protection there.

Also because the Komine is perforated all over. front, back and sleeves i actually find it cooler than the mesh jackets that i have owned.

I think some of the combo jackets may be the best eg leather on the arms and shoulders but mesh across the front and back...

by the way i got my Komine on sale at Paddock 9,999b

Yes it will, I can smoke it when I'm in pain.

smoking-030.gif

Going to have to smoke the jacket and pants to get any effect; if you're lucky.

Mate of mine wears his off road body armor over a t-shirt. It looks pretty gay, but dam_n effective.

I am partial to black and as long as I'm doing 100k or so everything is cool. I picked this one up over the boarder, across from Mae Sai. I did swap out the CE armor from an older jacket which makes it feel a bit more protective.

Ninja06.jpg

Man I cant get these two jackets out of my mind, someone talk me out of these hot leather jackets...or help me pick one LOL.

I wouldnt be above perforating it myself.

Hot leather jacket

Hotter leather jacket

Are either of those perforated? They say 'vented', but is that the same-same?

And if you ride a lot in BKK or some other larger city the white will need cleaning more often but will not absorb as much heat...I'd go for the one with white arms. Probably totally pointless also, but the one with black arms has a horizontal seam that may block some airflow...

Judging from the photos they're not perforated, but I see vents where they should be.

You should be cool in them as long as the vents are open and the bike and you are in decent speed. :D

KR you would be better of with something like this.

http://www.motorcycl...cle_jacket.html

in between money (i do like this one, very classic look)

or for a bit more money this

Thanks for those links, i know it probably took some time to dig those up. I actually looked into those before considering mesh and those styles are the ones I liked.

I have an older 60/40 black / white jacket, and a new 100% black one; The black one breathes much better than the old one - however, as I have discovered, it's also a lot hotter. Color makes a much bigger difference than I thought.

I also find my new white helmet to be much cooler than the black one I had previously.

Definitely recommend against buying an all black jacket.

Where are your vents?

Man I cant get these two jackets out of my mind, someone talk me out of these hot leather jackets...or help me pick one LOL.

I wouldnt be above perforating it myself.

Hot leather jacket

Hotter leather jacket

Are either of those perforated? They say 'vented', but is that the same-same?

And if you ride a lot in BKK or some other larger city the white will need cleaning more often but will not absorb as much heat...I'd go for the one with white arms. Probably totally pointless also, but the one with black arms has a horizontal seam that may block some airflow...

Thats what I was thinking too, but the other one looks pretty dam_n good.

May end up perforating a jacket myself, just as an experiment.

As a tip to those of you getting hot in the mesh jackets-->take a spray bottle, put some water in it, and spray your jacket so it is moist. It will cool you down. If the sun hits it, the heat will be taken up by the water in the jacket evaporating. When you ride, the wind will make the jacket feel like air conditioning. If you want you can soak the entire jacket under the faucet too. But that might be too cold for you when you are riding.