Optibay Drive Kit

moneyshot

• 11 months later...

i was looking for this exact same kit, or something similar to convert the superdrive bay into an extra hard drive. This would expecially be wonderful for using bootcamp or windows on a second PC. I was having problems with the superdrive, and didn't want the space to go to waste. plus, externalizing the superdrive may actually solve the problems (the older macbook case isn't strong and can bend into the superdrive with enough of a pinch). The advertised kit comes with an external case for the superdrive. surprised no one has seen this, as i'm sure thai mac owners would want to maximize alternate uses of a broken dvd drive bay.

any ideas would be helpful

Edited by 4evermaat

Did you get the Samsung SSD in Thailand and if so, where?

I have been running this setup for 2 years now. The only time I missed the CD drive was when I wanted to upgrade the Intel SSD Firmware - oh he irony! but it worked fine from an exernal drive.

Owc / macsales.com makes a nice optibay kit, and they are shipping to Thailand too. There are tons of cheap solutions on ebay too... but if I am already going through the hassle of installing this I dont want to take chances.

I have been running this setup for 2 years now. The only time I missed the CD drive was when I wanted to upgrade the Intel SSD Firmware - oh he irony! but it worked fine from an exernal drive.

Owc / macsales.com makes a nice optibay kit, and they are shipping to Thailand too. There are tons of cheap solutions on ebay too... but if I am already going through the hassle of installing this I dont want to take chances.

Nope. I got mine from B&H Photo Video. They do ship to Thailand via various shipping option. I choose USPS. No Tax

Nope. I got mine from B&H Photo Video. They do ship to Thailand via various shipping option. I choose USPS. No Tax

Not sure if you need a Samsung brand SSD specifically, but MemoryToday.com in fortunetown IT mall stocks HDDs. I bought two of their SSD ocz vertex 2 and vertex 3. The Dell notebook was a real pain because the HDD was all the way in the center, behind the keyboard, as if dell does not want you to change anything internal except for the RAM. They carry several brands of memory and HDD. Worth a look.

Update: I just found out that memorytoday does stock an aftermarket version of the optibay 590 baht..... I didn't believe him when he said 590 baht, and then the webmaster emailed me this link: http://www.databyte.com.tw/product/pdt_item_AD_list.asp?type_id=19&pdt_subtype_id=293 for macbook only, but maybe they have different variations. And if the service was similar to when I bought their SSD drive, they will install it for you :D. I think I'll do it the next time I head north.