Thailand KFC Faces Employee Lawsuit For Unfair Practices

webfact

Revenue does not equate to profit. Business 101 deduct the cost of doing business " labor, locations, supplies, franchise fees, advertising etc..." Most fortune 500 companies operate between 1-6% profit margins only" Which is better - a low paying consistant job or a high paying short lived career due to bankrupting the company?

how did you arrive with that of 1-6% margins ? - cos i know nothing ... please. i'm curious then

KFC is the subject and in this case there is no way of goin' "bankruptcy".

It is called Dividend Stock Analysis NYSE they are a public company you know ;) Buy some stock and you can vote on wages too.

School moment - Company A. sets salary budget, whining employees drive up labor cost, profit margin declines, slump in sales, doors start to close, just ask blockbuster ;) BTW I usually charge for tutoring

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reallly Oz min wage is $15??? Got a link for that?

Gee I only owned 1 company with 150 staff there and min wage for young ones was $6.20

Here you go kuffki.

http://www.netlawman...s-australia.php

$15 per hour for a 38 hour week.

However you'll find most employers pay much higher than the minimum.

Your former employees might have a case for wage compensation?

Edited by rockyysdt

why company SHOULD do anything????

Please enlighten me.....

Why company should provide free meal??

Why company should even think how you get to and from work??

Why your personal problems have anything to do with a company?

You have a link to what factory workers at Toyota get paid??? I doubt it. Because they are on a minimum wage! And in the province where minimum wage is lower then bkk or any central location .

Again for the 10th time, employees get paid legal salary , not forced to perform any duty for free and food is a bonus!

You or they are NOT doing any favor for company, IRS actually other way around!

Do not like it, resign and go work in rice fields! Or in un-air factory for half the salary.

I suppose Toyota employees should also get a brand new car for free!

Forced to eat noodles ??? I doubt anyone forced them. Do not like noodles go buy what you like!

Left overs food, as in unsold food! How is that leftovers??? Why should company put up a banquet for the staff?

Travel allowance? Is that a joke? Do not like to work or finish late, find another job!

Were paid ONLY 27 baht per hour?? Well that's ONLY the salary in Thailand . Are employees brain surgeons? Or highly educated staff ??

There is nothing unfair in removing those who disturb company operations. They used company time and money for their own agenda, further more they did not contact the management to voice their concerns prior to creating a problem .

If you ask me, nothing but 2 gold diggers trying to make some money.

KFC is a business and profits it makes is not an employees business . If employee has a problem with company profits, they are welcome to open their own.

The employees may not be brain surgeons but they may well be educated enough to read your bigoted and ignorant comments.

Toyota do not supply a free car but as with all car manufacturers they will give a discount and pay more than 5000 baht a month.

If the shift finishes at 1am, it would not cost much to assist them to get home.

Food does not become leftover until the shift has finished. 1 meal a day should be provided.

The people that run KFC in Thailand only bought a franchise, that is different to starting a business. Yes they are entitled to make a profit but not at the expense of the employees welfare.

Too many employers in Thailand treat employees as disposable chattels.

Kuffki, I don't know where you come from but I presume you are a Farang. Maybe you you should go to a village and work a 28 day month for 4/5000 baht. From this income pay for house, food and scooter (so you can ride home at 1am)

We all know that the pay in Thailand is low but your attitude stinks.

This is certainly why you think workers are cheaters, liars, laziest....

If the company give more benefits than the minimal the workers will work better

You will say that s wrong but you re wrong : with better benefits more people will want to have this job, then the company may ask better service to the employee. As the employee is happy of his job, and he knows this job provides more benefits than any other he can have regarding his education or capacity, he will tends to try to keep this work and work better, even more if he knows many people waits for a position outside and there is more demands than offer....

Now fast food turn over is monstruous, why? because they pay the minimum, there is more offer than demand, etc....

Strange that posters here thinks in term of easy, short term profit for the company and does not bet on perenity....

Forgive my misinterpretation if it is indeed so, but are you possibly stating that employees should be paid more so they wont steal, cheat and lie? They need more benefit?

"You will say that s wrong but you re wron" Got me there! jap.gif

The employers are pathetic human beings.

Most of us like/go to Thailand because it is cheap. It is cheap because the wages are so low. But if the wages are so low why the hell do we have to pay a western price for the food?

If we are paying western prices for the food then the employees should be getting western wages. If they are getting Thai minimum wages then the cost of the food should be a lot less.

But it isn't.

I'm just glad I don't eat crap such as KFC, BK, McD, Pizza Hut.

Oh absolutely , the big bad wolves owners. How dare they give someone job so that poor innocent sweet person can then demand more money, free food and travel money. After all the employee is doing company a favor for coming to work.

But why stop there ? While at it, why not demand salary of a doctor, after all company makes money.

But why not demand free accommodation and free airfares to fly back to village.

Better yet, why not just do nothing and demand to be paid.

Wages are set by the government. Do not like it, go sue the government .

Company did nothing wrong and paid legal wage.

Lawyers drive Benz and live in penthouse , factory workers drive nothing and live in the shed. REALITY

Want more money- get a second job!

Minimum wage jobs pay enough money to survive- world wide , again do not like it either get second job( like most people in the west) live within your means or move to another planet.

why company SHOULD do anything????

Please enlighten me.....

Why company should provide free meal??

Why company should even think how you get to and from work??

Why your personal problems have anything to do with a company?

You have a link to what factory workers at Toyota get paid??? I doubt it. Because they are on a minimum wage! And in the province where minimum wage is lower then bkk or any central location .

Again for the 10th time, employees get paid legal salary , not forced to perform any duty for free and food is a bonus!

You or they are NOT doing any favor for company, IRS actually other way around!

Do not like it, resign and go work in rice fields! Or in un-air factory for half the salary.

I suppose Toyota employees should also get a brand new car for free!

Forced to eat noodles ??? I doubt anyone forced them. Do not like noodles go buy what you like!

Left overs food, as in unsold food! How is that leftovers??? Why should company put up a banquet for the staff?

Travel allowance? Is that a joke? Do not like to work or finish late, find another job!

Were paid ONLY 27 baht per hour?? Well that's ONLY the salary in Thailand . Are employees brain surgeons? Or highly educated staff ??

There is nothing unfair in removing those who disturb company operations. They used company time and money for their own agenda, further more they did not contact the management to voice their concerns prior to creating a problem .

If you ask me, nothing but 2 gold diggers trying to make some money.

KFC is a business and profits it makes is not an employees business . If employee has a problem with company profits, they are welcome to open their own.

The employees may not be brain surgeons but they may well be educated enough to read your bigoted and ignorant comments.

Toyota do not supply a free car but as with all car manufacturers they will give a discount and pay more than 5000 baht a month.

If the shift finishes at 1am, it would not cost much to assist them to get home.

Food does not become leftover until the shift has finished. 1 meal a day should be provided.

The people that run KFC in Thailand only bought a franchise, that is different to starting a business. Yes they are entitled to make a profit but not at the expense of the employees welfare.

Too many employers in Thailand treat employees as disposable chattels.

Kuffki, I don't know where you come from but I presume you are a Farang. Maybe you you should go to a village and work a 28 day month for 4/5000 baht. From this income pay for house, food and scooter (so you can ride home at 1am)

We all know that the pay in Thailand is low but your attitude stinks.

Why SHOULD they? Because their employees are human beings who have to eat and get around and live. They are not cattle. And also, this may be hard for you to grasp Kuffki, but it is a two way street. The labour of the employees makes money for the owners - maybe the owners could show their workers some gratitude. You seem to feel that the workers should be licking the rich man's boots grateful to be paid a wage that is barely enough to eat and live in a slum. The problem with taking the side of power - might makes right - as you seem to do, is that power can shift. The formerly merciless are rarely shown any mercy. How about we work towards a world where people get some breathing room and are reasonably happy? Where there is mutual caring between employers and employees - that each needs the other - rather than just exploitation? The world you propose sir, is one of cruelty and human misery. But then you don't come across as a barrel of laughs yourself.

Oh yes, and do you really think the LEGAL salary is fair? How do you think they arrived at that level? Who would you imagine had more influence on that law? Rich factory owners or workers? Just because it is legal doesn't mean it's fair.

what is the minimum wage in thailand? i believe its about 185b depending on what province you live, ....what is unclear to me is how many hours your expected to work for,

and as soon as some workers try and get some justice {ie a fair wage} they are shot down in flames ! ....... up the workers ! demand your rights ! my wife works as a teacher in a training school for hairstylists..., she gets 6,500b pm and is expected to work 6 days a week from 8 am to 7 pm ........66 hours pw for 1,650b ,............is that legal ?????????? PLEASE RESPOND ;

Depends what province you are in ....for Bangkok the minimum is 215 per day.

This is for a 48 hour week...Any hours over this would attract time and a half.

If she has a Thai boss/owner you may want to be a bit tactful!

Reallly Oz min wage is $15??? Got a link for that?

true... i have been there a few times.

don't need an external link.

anything in general ..... trust me Kuffki

My younger brother stacks shelves at Coles on weekends. $23 an hour plus overtime.

I'm thinking of joining him.

Kuffki, here is the link, the amount is at the bottom.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx

Revenue does not equate to profit. Business 101 deduct the cost of doing business " labor, locations, supplies, franchise fees, advertising etc..." Most fortune 500 companies operate between 1-6% profit margins only" Which is better - a low paying consistant job or a high paying short lived career due to bankrupting the company?

how did you arrive with that of 1-6% margins ? - cos i know nothing ... please. i'm curious then

It is called Dividend Stock Analysis NYSE they are a public company you know ;) Buy some stock and you can vote on wages too.

School moment - Company A. sets salary budget, whining employees drive up labor cost, profit margin declines, slump in sales, doors start to close, just ask blockbuster ;) BTW I usually charge for tutoring

i ain't gotten the evidence that these mega firms have their cakes at the rate of 1-6% after the deduction of all expenses.

but from yours words there ain't much to gain any knowledge.

if you would learn somethings more constructive than that I 'm willing to.

Is that all from yous ,tiny little ? need to get back to school promptly.

You are correct but again need to consider start up costs,franchise fees and set up, you will find it's same price as in the west.

You then also need to consider that here they have 5 if not 10 times more staff then in the west. Because staff unable to perform simple duties.

Most of us like/go to Thailand because it is cheap. It is cheap because the wages are so low. But if the wages are so low why the hell do we have to pay a western price for the food?

If we are paying western prices for the food then the employees should be getting western wages. If they are getting Thai minimum wages then the cost of the food should be a lot less.

But it isn't.

And for all those people who just love the rich company owners:::

If you don't want to pay your employees a decent living wage then all you have to do is FIRE every worker and do the work yourself. Simple. Then you can keep ALL the money.

You are correct but again need to consider start up costs,franchise fees and set up, you will find it's same price as in the west.

You then also need to consider that here they have 5 if not 10 times more staff then in the west. Because staff unable to perform simple duties.

But it isn't.

Seems to me that this is then a management issue for not training the staff properly.

And for all those people who just love the rich company owners:::

If you don't want to pay your employees a decent living wage then all you have to do is FIRE every worker and do the work yourself. Simple. Then you can keep ALL the money.

as simple as that ......... I second this ......... dude!!!!!

Edited by dunkin2012

This explains everything !

We’ve been staying at Silom road every year for 8years, and on every visit we visit the KFC at Silom road (close to Patpong)..

There’s NEVER enough food available, and IF they haveany chicken, it’s dry and uneatable..

IF they are willing to make new food, it’s always 20minutes waiting..

If they can eat the “leftovers”, it’s no wonder there’sno food for the customers..

The place seems dirty and unorganized, and I’ve neverbeen satisfied with the food or the service…

YES! Of course I can choose to go elsewhere, and Ido.. We usually end up at McDonald’s..

But when I crave KFC, I give it a try.. I figure “it’llbe better this year”, but it never is..

As to be “forced to eat leftovers”.. that’s a choice..NOT a force-feeding..

All though, I would LOVE to see the manager I spoketo, be force-fed those dry pieces he wanted me to pay for last year!

We need to hear about some more Slave Labour Companies,I'm sure there are plenty of them in Thailand!

Europe and many other Western Countries,had to fight through their Trade Unions for Decade after Decade,and Generations, to get a fair wage and working conditions.

As someone once coined the phrase: "The unacceptable Face of Capitalism"

Good Luck Thai Employees,it will not happen over night,but you will win with Solidarity.

Edited by MAJIC

Hey! Come on! It's just pocket money for these kids working there. They're only teenagers. They don't need much for doing the same work as an adult in a kitchen with boiling oil, the heat, smells, dust, lines of egg tart enthusiasts. They don’t need to support a family. They don't even have a family! These jobs were specifically DESIGNED by JOB ARCHITECTS for people WITHOUT a family. It's just pocket money for them - for sweets and the movies - nothing else. They all come from rich families and their parents drop them off in the morning and pick them up at night. You can see the line of Mercedes waiting outside your local KFC every night ready to take those kids home. Just pocket money for them. And what? These kids want to save money too! SAVE! What for? A Nintendo! New shoes! A text book! They don’t need to save. Mummy and daddy can buy these for them. The money they get from working in the kitchen is for sweets and the movies ONLY. Bigger items come from mummy and daddy on birthdays and New Year.

And we all used to get pocket money when we were kids, right? So why can’t they? A couple of quid a week for delivering newspapers for the paper shop down the road. That paper shop was RAKING it in too! Billionaires they were. And they only paid us 10 pounds a week for half an hour a day. Tight fisted capitalists! We didn't need anything else though. We didn't complain. We NEVER complained! Why complain? We were grateful. As long as we got our wine gums, Twix, and can of Coke, we were happy. All just pocket money for us really - WHEN WE WERE 12!

Anyone who defends KFC and criticizes the efforts of the staff working there for wanting more than 27 baht/hour needs to see a spiritual leader right away.

Try compiling a complete sentence so people can understand your illiterate speech pattern. You were given the research data but was beyong your comprehension. Or should I use much smaller words - "Me work KFC, KFC mean no pay good, me want big money less work" Is that better?

Still I need the answer in a good informative style for my question above(1-6% margins).

no arguing......

Just say Y/N? Or I will forget it then.

Here's another scenario:

Companies A, B and C through Z pay subsistence wages. Employees (probably whining ones) cannot afford to buy the products they make, shrinking (and uncomplaining) privileged class not sufficient to purchase all manufactured products, consumer spending drops, economy stagnates, factory (and KFC) doors close. Hmmm... USA?

With international free trade, this doesn't happen as immediately as it would in a more closed system. So all is fine for the company owners (though not the employees) and this scenario is avoided as long as the products are exported and there are overseas markets to sell to, but the trend of a widening income gap is happening around the world - and not due to the greed of "whining" employees.

Trying to give some perspective on wages, I would like to say that fast food outlets here in Australia pay some of the lowest wages in Australia. But we are talking about Thailand where us Farangs think nothing of dropping big tips. I think that we have lost perspective on where we are and what wages/cost really exist. A good meal in some small restaurants/stalls can cost 40 baht, and if you try to leave a tip you will be scolded by Thais that you are with that "do not leave a tip, you will stuff it up for everyone!! If you are saying that they are receiving 27 baht per hour is extremely poor wages..... well I will tell you that is A LOT of money in Vietnam where some people earn 5,000 dong per hour for working for some fast food premises.

can anyone tell me how much the aussie have to pay for personal income tax and super?

from that 15$.

I remember it's quite a lot.

Remembe for a 16 year old it is only $7.50 he comes under the hospitality award. Probably no tax but cannot get payments for newstart etc.

what is the minimum wage in thailand? i believe its about 185b depending on what province you live, ....what is unclear to me is how many hours your expected to work for,

and as soon as some workers try and get some justice {ie a fair wage} they are shot down in flames ! ....... up the workers ! demand your rights ! my wife works as a teacher in a training school for hairstylists..., she gets 6,500b pm and is expected to work 6 days a week from 8 am to 7 pm ........66 hours pw for 1,650b ,............is that legal ?????????? PLEASE RESPOND ;

If Farang, stick it to em!whistling.gif

can anyone tell me how much the aussie have to pay for personal income tax and super?

from that 15$.

I remember it's quite a lot.

This is a cut and paste from the tax (thieving bastards) site. Of course you offset your tax in many ways and don't forget we get a lot of handouts, ie: about $15k returned when we buy our first home, about $5k for having a baby etc etc. But it is very expensive to be single, we get F#### ALL.

$6000 or under you pay no tax.

$6,001 - $35,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$35,001 - $80,000

$4,350 plus 30c for each $1 over $35,000

$80,001 - $180,000

$17,850 plus 38c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 and over

$55,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

I don't know how Thais would react to the fast paced service industry in the US even with a higher wage.

LOL you may not "know" but I bet you could wager a pretty good bet.

I've been amazed to see approx. 6 Thai workers watching one Thai individual actually work e.g manual labor

Try compiling a complete sentence so people can understand your illiterate speech pattern. You were given the research data but was beyong your comprehension. Or should I use much smaller words - "Me work KFC, KFC mean no pay good, me want big money less work" Is that better?

Still I need the answer in a good informative style for my question above(1-6% margins).

no arguing......

Actually, the average profit margin for the S & P 500 is 8.5 %. This is slightly lower than what it was when I was teaching business 10 years ago.

Link

Hey! Come on! It's just pocket money for these kids working there. They're only teenagers. They don't need much for doing the same work as an adult in a kitchen with boiling oil, the heat, smells, dust, lines of egg tart enthusiasts. They don't need to support a family. They don't even have a family! These jobs were specifically DESIGNED by JOB ARCHITECTS for people WITHOUT a family. It's just pocket money for them - for sweets and the movies - nothing else. They all come from rich families and their parents drop them off in the morning and pick them up at night. You can see the line of Mercedes waiting outside your local KFC every night ready to take those kids home. Just pocket money for them. And what? These kids want to save money too! SAVE! What for? A Nintendo! New shoes! A text book! They don't need to save. Mummy and daddy can buy these for them. The money they get from working in the kitchen is for sweets and the movies ONLY. Bigger items come from mummy and daddy on birthdays and New Year.

And we all used to get pocket money when we were kids, right? So why can't they? A couple of quid a week for delivering newspapers for the paper shop down the road. That paper shop was RAKING it in too! Billionaires they were. And they only paid us 10 pounds a week for half an hour a day. Tight fisted capitalists! We didn't need anything else though. We didn't complain. We NEVER complained! Why complain? We were grateful. As long as we got our wine gums, Twix, and can of Coke, we were happy. All just pocket money for us really - WHEN WE WERE 12!

Anyone who defends KFC and criticizes the efforts of the staff working there for wanting more than 27 baht/hour needs to see a spiritual leader right away.

It is not a question of "27 baht per hour"

The government has set the minimum wage for the country,

KFC has a policy of paying minimum wage (globally)

If KFC makes an exception here it would be held accountable to it's board and end up raising wages above minimum globally.

The issue should not be with KFC it should be with the minimum wage law here in Thailand, but they will not raise it because it would strengthen the baht and exports would decline.

It is not a question of "27 baht per hour"

The government has set the minimum wage for the country,

KFC has a policy of paying minimum wage (globally)

If KFC makes an exception here it would be held accountable to it's board and end up raising wages above minimum globally.

The issue should not be with KFC it should be with the minimum wage law here in Thailand, but they will not raise it because it would strengthen the baht and exports would decline.

Then why do we pay western prices for KFC in thailand?

thanks for that thailion, but why r u advising to be tactful, i know TIT , but is there any recourse for this ? , if the pay IS illegal , what can she do ? is there a goverment body to stop this exploitation , even a local lawyer ?

no arguing......

Actually, the average profit margin for the S 7 P 500 is 8.5 %. This is slightly lower than what it was when I was teaching business 10 years ago.

Link

thank you

yep, even higher for O&G section with 9.7%. KFC workers should shift to digging oil crude then. haha...

considering that you could not read or understand what 500 was, I am struggling to see how you have determined what 7000 was.

Capitalism at its worst.

The salaries and conditions suck, but the employees are probably still dong better than they would at most Thai restaurants or businesses. :huh:

Nah 7k is the normal salary in a restaurant and free food(better than KFC)

Even at central today i saw 7000 for pizza company and some nice soup restaurant. It also said something about benefits in thai and a 500baht bonus

You may want to go back and check again, but this time take someone Thai speaking with you.

Ok so advertising at 7000 means they offer really 5000 right?

Im white so that is why my restaurant we offer 7000 and pay 7000 ?