Annoying Sound Effects

dressedingreen

Buy a wireless headphone for the girl.

Problem solved.

I forgot to mention......I have in fact bought wireless headphones for my wife. And the great thing is that as I've explained my sensitivity to noise, she doesn't mind wearing them at all.

They only cost 200 baht new.

Just make sure your tv has an earphone jack for the unit to plug into.

Edited by Latindancer

Thailand will eventually produce intelligent and sophisticated shows, just as their film industry is starting to do. But I doubt many farangs will marry girls with the acquired taste to appreciate them :D

Perhaps Thai TV will acquire a development to mirror the strides that the Thai film industry has made. First and foremost would the allowance of programming freedom to manifest.......less control and suppression.

For example I would doubt that any Thai person born and bred in Thailand would ever be able to relate to UK TV programmes such as, Steptoe and Son, Only Fools and Horses or The Avengers. They would also consider these programmes naff.

Yes, there's those lighthearted programs in the UK, but we also have a tremendous amount of serious material: lots of science & nature, murder mystery, question time on politics, current affairs etc, that our hosts just could not sit down and watch through all levels of society (generally). The TV here is childish almost right across the board; the boings would be fun for kids, but they don't seem to move on from it. :ermm: Who was it that said a nation's people could be judged by their TV, or was it how they treat their prisoners, animals? :whistling:

for the full cinematic experience, surround-sound at high decibel level . . . recently went to a movie and one of the trailers/previews was for a new Thai comedy movie

I counted - 34 boings in a 2-3 minute preview.

The audience (well, most of them) loved it.

I think I was in the same cinema :lol:

I've seen those trailers, too. I also don't quite understand that Thai guy whose whole 'schtick' is dressing as a woman. The sense of humour here is definitely different.

However, I look at it this way - at least they HAVE a sense of humour. I've been out a lot with Thai friends now and notice that they connect with strangers instantly through humour. Westerners take much longer to connect with each other in general.

It's been said already but we have a lot of crap in the West. I agree with another poster who said that in recent years we've had some of the best TV (and are continuing to) ever made, but there is also a LOT more crap. Thai TV isn't made to cater to us - so to try to understand it on some basic level maybe a bit unfair. Are they behind, or just different? I'd like to think that not everything has to 'catch up' to our 'standards'.

I have seen more and more what I consider "good" Thai movies, that is, movies which have plots and are well acted and directed. However, many of the comedies are the same thing: two lovestruck young people who can't get up the nerve to kiss, a fat kid, a ghost (of whom everyone is afraid but who can't seem to actually harm anyone), a criminal kingpin, an ugly old guy, and older heavyset ladyboy, and a dwarf. Silly sound effects abound, as does speeding up action (ala Benny Hill) or stop-gapping action forward for a laugh.

TV does the same. But in TV, they do the same techniques even for serious dramas. And the histeronics are out-of-control. Of course, this post is coming from a poster whose country brought us Two-and-a-Half Men, so what can I say?

Tastes are different world wide. Except for the visual aspect of the dancing, I find Bollywood productions juvenile and silly. I find Latino Telenovelas mind-numbing. In Africa, I don't know what the heck I was even watching. And Thai TV, well between the plots, acting, and silly censoring, it is just not my favorite.

On the other hand, I find Japanese game shows hilarious, late night European tv sometimes quite attention-getting, many BBC programs captivating, and Aussie tv both funny and innovative.

We all are different, both culturally and individually. Nothing wrong with that. Just thank heaven for sat tv and torrents so i can watch what I want to watch.

Since this is a critique of Thai TV , which I rarely have to listen to but never watch ..I have nothing to add..

....was in Canada for a month last year and my Mum has 150 TV channels of which 1-5% are worth watching... I scrolled every day while I waited for the rain to ease up ...even BBC World service has now become a CNN copy with the same news repeated every five minutes conveyed as though I was a half witted deaf and retarded senile old man...(... maybe I am a bit...err quite a lot really..)

You know what used to piss me off most was the thump thump of some beat behind the traffic reports on the radio..they did that in OZ too..bloody annoying....

Now if I can JUST find that bloody frog or gecko or whatever that's making that bloody racket......

• 7 years later...