Why Cant They Top Up Their Own Phones?

nocturn

How come this is in General topics? I thought they started a silly post forum.

As you shouldn't be surprised to the already growing post in this thread.....per usual, turns to an imagined inferior vs. superior class debate....B)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are funny. You actually go *personally* to 7-11. Wow. I thought everyone here had trilingual gardeners for that. At the very least you should be calling your local motorcycle taxi queue and asking them to bring you that bottle of water so you don't have to stand in line yourself. I mean really...this is Thailand. Doing things for yourself is so quotidian. (That's your new word for the day.)

For myself, I can certainly understand why someone would not want to top up their own phone. Why, they might bruise a finger.

In all seriousness, I can tell you from long years in the telecom industry that believe it or not, there is a vast group of people out there who truly are too stupid to do it. There is another group of people who are basically blind and can't read the numbers (doesn't stop them from driving though.) The 7-11 clerks are just trying to be helpful to those who are old and feeble minded. Don't be so hard on them.

It's not as bad as those people who are unable to read the number and letter on their flight ticket to find their seats. This crosses many nationalities though.

I have complained many times about the ATM delays to my wife. She informs me that there are many options available to them including paying bills etc, so I shouldn't moan. They do still seem to take a long long time though.

It's not as bad as those people who are unable to read the number and letter on their flight ticket to find their seats. This crosses many nationalities though.

I have complained many times about the ATM delays to my wife. She informs me that there are many options available to them including paying bills etc, so I shouldn't moan. They do still seem to take a long long time though.

Actually, AirAsia has been pissing me off lately, every time i book a seat, i find out some German guy got up earlier and put a towel on the dam_n thing.

Topup at 7 is for tourists or the very poor.

You normally do it via internet banking from home or smartphones.

I'm not a tourist but I am a teacher, so pretty poor. I use 7-11 or any other convenience shop to get my top-up. I could be on a contract but like credit cards don't want to tie myself up in a fixed payment for the next year. It's easy to go down the road to top up your phone or just get it whilst you're doing your shopping. Really, it's easy! You don't have to be scared of the outside World - come out here, it's fun!

The ATM delayers and the people who are unable to read the number and letter on their flight ticket to find their seats are not the same as those who don't do their own top ups on their cell phones. The reasons for their actions are different. It transcends Nationalities. I find the ATM people who spend 15 minutes at the ATMs, and then walk away with nothing, much more annoying. I think the people at the 7/11's really don't know how to do it. I find most people an annoyance..Patience is a virtue. Turning to an imagined inferior vs. superior class debate, I'm not sure who's which.

I have had occasion to step into 3 different 7-11's in three different areas of Bangkok today only to wait 10+ minutes to pay for a bottle of water while this occurs.

Now this part I like.. You traveled to 3 different 7-11's in one day and in the final location you found a Thai Girl/Guy that required 10 minutes plus to enter a pin number?

just wondering.

or just wandering ?

I have had occasion to step into 3 different 7-11's in three different areas of Bangkok today only to wait 10+ minutes to pay for a bottle of water while this occurs.

Now this part I like.. You traveled to 3 different 7-11's in one day and in the final location you found a Thai Girl/Guy that required 10 minutes plus to enter a pin number?

sorry you are having trouble with the language, but where did i say anything about a pin number?

People are paying bills at their atm. or transferring money. not "wasting your time" --move on to another atm, they are at every corner.

so why can I manage to pay and bill at the atm, transfer money and make a withdrawal in one tenth of the time as a thai person? its the fact they stand there gormless staring at the screen with no interaction that is the annoying part, if you have a transaction then do the dam_n transaction.

This is TOTALLY annoying and no it is not just middle easterners. I find Europeans +50 to be worst offenders. All anyone has to do when they get a sim is have the language changed to English. If they cant deal with English, best they just not use a phone. The notion that the world needs stop every time these morons want to charge their sim....well, most are sociopaths any way, you can tell by the manner they shove the phone at the poor clerk and then look at you with some condescending aire. and NEVER an apology.

As for the "poor" crack - I use about 60b a month of talk time. Why would I want to deal with an Internet purchase for that sum? In fact, I rather like pre-paid and I try to limit any and all Internet transactions - period. I'm totally not interested in a bank-sim.

so why can I manage to pay and bill at the atm, transfer money and make a withdrawal in one tenth of the time as a thai person? its the fact they stand there gormless staring at the screen with no interaction that is the annoying part, if you have a transaction then do the dam_n transaction.

More likely they're just taking their time to ensure that they are definitely transferring the correct amount to the correct person. If it's a large amount they're paying, for example their monthly rent, it's pretty important to take your time and make sure everything is in order before you press the "send" button and transfer thousands of Baht out of your account. I also take my time and double-check everything when I pay a large bill though an ATM.

More likely they're just taking their time to ensure that they are definitely transferring the correct amount to the correct person. If it's a large amount they're paying, for example their monthly rent, it's pretty important to take your time and make sure everything is in order before you press the "send" button and transfer thousands of Baht out of your account. I also take my time and double-check everything when I pay a large bill though an ATM.

I understand this, but the slow process starts with their own pin number, then follows with what seems like EVERYTHING needing to be double read, not just the transfer, it is sloooooow and it dies not need to be as slow even with double checking, I am sure you know what I mean but are one of these posters that will make excuses for everything thai.

This is TOTALLY annoying and no it is not just middle easterners. I find Europeans +50 to be worst offenders. All anyone has to do when they get a sim is have the language changed to English. If they cant deal with English, best they just not use a phone. The notion that the world needs stop every time these morons want to charge their sim....well, most are sociopaths any way, you can tell by the manner they shove the phone at the poor clerk and then look at you with some condescending aire. and NEVER an apology.

As for the "poor" crack - I use about 60b a month of talk time. Why would I want to deal with an Internet purchase for that sum? In fact, I rather like pre-paid and I try to limit any and all Internet transactions - period. I'm totally not interested in a bank-sim.

If you use 60b a month don't you constantly find the validity expires before you can use your credit?

sorry you are having trouble with the language, but where did i say anything about a pin number?

Your right it was a 16 digit code for Topping off a phone. This changes everything now that I look at this way.

The same for me.

This is because I have become too old and spasticated to work out how to do this myself. When it comes to doing anything with mobile phones I am useless.

Troubling, this lack of ability might be more common than you think - even amongst the sophisticate class.:blink:

People are paying bills at their atm. or transferring money. not "wasting your time" --move on to another atm, they are at every corner.

I think, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I've heard there's some kind of racket going on with using the ATMs. I've seen girls at the ATM making numerous transactions. They appear to know what they're doing, and it seems to involve more than one account. Sometimes they actually will step aside so that you can do what you have to do, and then see you go away. Yet, there are others who do appear to not understand what they're doing. Sometimes, I believe they think they can fool the ATM, and get money out that isn't there. This may be an American phenom though.

If you use 60b a month don't you constantly find the validity expires before you can use your credit?

On DTAC validity can be extended for 2 Baht per month. No reason to ever run out. I love the pay as you go system here, don't want to go back to contracts back home. I always hated that I had to pay for minutes I wasn't using and wasn't aware there was any other way. I don't even use 60 Baht per month, that will usually last me several. Only exceptions are if I'm traveling and need internet for my notebook, then I have the option of purchasing internet, but only when I need it and not all the time.

You don't understand:

You can top up any prepaid SIM from your Thai bank account via internet banking. No need at all for visiting a 7.

Evey ime I have to top up my phone at 7/11 I have to wait behind people stocking up on beer and food. Why don't they go to a bar and drink and eat like normal people do.

Because they prefer to drink at half the price of a bar?

I think its quite normal to go out and buy food, take it home and eat.

Because they don't like a smoke filled bar?

Because they just don't want to go to a bar and no ones making them?

Either way they probably get fed up waiting for people infront of them getting their pikey top up cards whilst their beer is getting warm.

Evey ime I have to top up my phone at 7/11 I have to wait behind people stocking up on beer and food. Why don't they go to a bar and drink and eat like normal people do.

Because they prefer to drink at half the price of a bar?

I think its quite normal to go out and buy food, take it home and eat.

Because they don't like a smoke filled bar?

Because they just don't want to go to a bar and no ones making them?

Either way they probably get fed up waiting for people infront of them getting their pikey top up cards whilst their beer is getting warm.

No, but seriously... Why do people do it?

I am guessing that most of them are on the run, and trying to avoid all the CIA and Special Forces chaps that we run into in the bars.

Or perhaps they transform into superheroes when they drink, like the Brown Bottle (and indeed, so many of us) and prefer to do that in the discrete privacy of their own homes.

There are lots of quite credible reasons why people might choose to buy their beer in 7-11, without resorting to Carmine's wierd suggestions, nor resorting to abusing intinerants and migrants

SC

If you want cold beer, you should drink it at the refrigerator. I'll not go into the story of how I ran into the Engineer's boys draining the fridge in the Vietnamese grocers'...

Harry's humour seems to have zoomed over some heads. :whistling:

carmine seems to take things quite literally

If Harry not meant it literally, he'd have not written it literally. Remember those of you with a sense of humour are but a small minority amongst us.

If it was meant to be funny, he'd have added a "BOING!" after - this is Thailand, after all.

SC