Why Cant They Top Up Their Own Phones?

nocturn

so, in the spirit of racial stereotyping and speculation about the mental faculties possessed by people of differing cultures, why don't people of the middle eastern persuasion seem able to top up their own phones?

Why is it th province of 7-11 cashiers to stop what ever it is they are doing and top up the phone of someone who seems to have lost the ability to do any thing but grunt and gesticulate wildly?

I have had occasion to step into 3 different 7-11's in three different areas of Bangkok today only to wait 10+ minutes to pay for a bottle of water while this occurs.

just wondering.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

='welsh1' timestamp='1305043392' post='4415083']

Guilty as charged ...rolleyes.gif.if there is two behind the counter i normally send the other one to make me a hot dog aswell jap.gif

I used to do that when I lived in Thailand also , here in Cambodia I let my wife do it , she always catches the days when the phone companies give a 100% bonus , you get double your top up money , WOW .

Another one who is guilty of this - the tiny print on those top-up cards gives me a headache. Plus, I believe it saves the worker, for a few minutes, from having to say "sawasdee ka" to every slacker who walks in there pretending to look at the drinks but just wants air-conditioning for a few minutes (guilty again)

Perhaps they have difficulty in understanding the directions, which are not in their native language.

How many of us here could figure out how to do it if the instructions were only in Arabic?

Arabic numbers are used all over the world including Thailand. What else they can't understand? * and # symbols? It's just plain laziness, stupidity or a sick attitude to a lower class people.

Another problem is, Thais are too polite to tell them to bugger off and do it themselves!

Perhaps they have difficulty in understanding the directions, which are not in their native language.

How many of us here could figure out how to do it if the instructions were only in Arabic?

Arabic numbers are used all over the world including Thailand. What else they can't understand? * and # symbols? It's just plain laziness, stupidity or a sick attitude to a lower class people.

Another problem is, Thais are too polite to tell them to bugger off and do it themselves!

clap2.gif

clap2.gif

The dude was talking about the Arabic language.

You do realize the difference between "Arabic language" and "Arabic numerals" don't you?

The former would be used to give verbal instructions as the poster posited. Perhaps your accusation of"stupidity" was misdirected. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Lets add to this the inability of people here to realise that at the toll or at the checkout they have to pay, so many times I have sat there while the driver of the car in front goes into her handbag, gets out her purse, rummages round etc. then at the till in the supermarket, they wait until the bill is rung up, then they decide 'oh, i guess i need to pay, so now i will go into my bag, rummage round, find my purse amongst all the <deleted> in there, then try and count out the exact money while the queue continues to grow behind me".

Dont even get me started with Thais at atms :D

one thing I did notice in 7/11, you can be waiting to get served while the person in front has a load of stuff, while the other staff are busying themselves while a queue forms, they will then decide to man the other till only when you have waited and are now getting served at the first one,

The dude was talking about the Arabic language.

You do realize the difference between "Arabic language" and "Arabic numerals" don't you?

The former would be used to give verbal instructions as the poster posited. Perhaps your accusation of"stupidity" was misdirected. rolleyes.gif

Perhaps it may have been misdirected, I think my accusation missed some of the members on TV also...

What directions do you need? Push * 120 (or 580 or whatever) * pin number #

I don't care if it's written in the Alien or Martian language or whatever... All I need is a PIN number.

You don't need to agree with me but I stay by what I said earlier: plain laziness, stupidity or a sick attitude to a lower class people.

Lets add to this the inability of people here to realise that at the toll or at the checkout they have to pay, so many times I have sat there while the driver of the car in front goes into her handbag, gets out her purse, rummages round etc. then at the till in the supermarket, they wait until the bill is rung up, then they decide 'oh, i guess i need to pay, so now i will go into my bag, rummage round, find my purse amongst all the <deleted> in there, then try and count out the exact money while the queue continues to grow behind me".

one thing I did notice in 7/11, you can be waiting to get served while the person in front has a load of stuff, while the other staff are busying themselves while a queue forms, they will then decide to man the other till only when you have waited and are now getting served at the first one,

Call me odd but I'd rather the woman dig for the change in her purse at the tollway booth then while she's driving.

Call me odd but I'd rather the woman dig for the change in her purse at the tollway booth then while she's driving.

True!

I used to ask the staff to top up my 12Call credit, but this was before you could just SMS the credit in, you had to dial a number, listen and wait for the instructions which were also all in Thai with no English option.

Me too, but i prefer it even more if woman had some forward planning and kept some change in the car on an easily accessed spot. But i guess that is too much to ask woman are not good at planning stuff. :D

Maybe its racist bigotry and stereotyping.

If you were in that much of a hurry for the water you should have gone to the previous 7-11; they're not rare. Or 108. or family mart. Or bring a bottle of water out with you.

Or buy a smartphone, so that you can post some futile prejudiced and intolerant rant on the internet while you wait and fume.

SC

TV: THe best place for thoughtful and helpful advice.

I only use 7-11's basically in an emergency because of the extra "services" they provide, especially handling bill collection for what seems to be every company and public service in Thailand.. The last straw for me was when a woman in front of me pulled out a big stack of bills to pay. I waited a few minutes and then left when it became clear that this one customer was going to occupy the cashier for probably the next hour.

As for ATM's, I learned a long time ago that if there's any more than 2 Thais in queue, just keep driving and go to the next one. Why do they always seem to have 4 or 5 cards they use?

I take mine to the pretty girls at DTAC. They are happy to do it for me and it doesn't delay anyone. And, I get to enjoy their company and cute smiles while they help me. It's a win-win situation. Of course, I put a lot of money on my phone each time I top up so I don't have to do it for 3 months or more.

This thread starts off with this statement :

"So, in the spirit of racial stereotyping and speculation about the mental faculties possessed by people of differing cultures, why don't people of the middle eastern persuasion seem able to top up their own phones?"

In other words, let's pull out all stops and compare notes about how stupid mid-eastern people are, based on the personal experience of a self-confessed bigot.

Aren't there RULES against this sort of threads and postings? If I am wrong, please ignore my post and carry on...at least we can all see what sorts of uneducated, low- class farangs (hey, I can stereotype too!!!) hang out here.

"So, in the spirit of racial stereotyping and speculation about the mental faculties possessed by people of differing cultures, why don't people of the middle eastern persuasion seem able to top up their own phones?"

In other words, let's pull out all stops and compare notes about how stupid mid-eastern people are, based on the personal experience of a self-confessed bigot.

Aren't there RULES against this sort of threads and postings? If I am wrong, please ignore my post and carry on...at least we can all see what sorts of uneducated, low- class farangs (hey, I can stereotype too!!!) hang out here.

i am indeed not a bigot, not least one self-confessed. however i read so much similar tripe on this forum i decided, "When in Rome"

indeed, i am honest enough to have clearly stated that i was engaging in that type of activity.

Apparently your education did not extend to satire, parody or irony. perhaps a winking smiley might have helped you along.

Thats right but then agan lifes too short isn't it so why don't you just chillout?

Don't worry the usual numpties will be on this one soon boring on about Thai bashing or whatever else has offended their delicate little souls. :D

Thats right but then agan lifes too short isn't it so why don't you just chillout?

Don't worry the usual numpties will be on this one soon boring on about Thai bashing or whatever else has offended their delicate little souls. :D

Condescension. Patronising oafs (oaves?)

SC

Guilty as charged ...rolleyes.gif.if there is two behind the counter i normally send the other one to make me a hot dog aswell jap.gif

The same for me.

This is because I have become too old and spasticated to work out how to do this myself. When it comes to doing anything with mobile phones I am useless.

As for the OP, if this little irritant is your major concern in life, don’t worry, then you have no problems at all.

As the wise man says; there are worse troubles at sea.

post-110219-0-16383700-1305109100_thumb.

The same for me.

This is because I have become too old and spasticated to work out how to do this myself. When it comes to doing anything with mobile phones I am useless.

As for the OP, if this little irritant is your major concern in life, don't worry, then you have no problems at all.

sorry please point out where in my OP i used either the word "major", or "concern"?

had your attention not lapsed you might have got to the part where i said "just wondering"

The same for me.

As for the OP, if this little irritant is your major concern in life, don't worry, then you have no problems at all.

sorry please point out where in my OP i used either the word "major", or "concern"?

had your attention not lapsed you might have got to the part where i said "just wondering"

You're wandering now

what to do

now you know

this is the end

:guitar: