Rubber Trees

new topic ,,, has anyone got info on best rain guard hoods ect for over cups ,,what works best ,best price and where to source,,any help appriciated,,regards

india,google it

thanks ,, anyone else got any info a bit more informative

Found this place in Malaysia.

http://www.yanzcorp.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=40&Itemid=84

With rubber being so popular here one would think you could get supplies locally.

Farmer joe as far as i can gather. Unless the seal is very good around the tree and the bark is kept very dry when being tapped ,bacteria will become a problem rendering the tree non productive untill the bacteria is cured. This could take 1 , 2 , 3 or more years. Bacteria can spread from tree to tree also passed on by the knife used to tap the tree. Also stateing the obvious, rubber will be washed away with water. The main problem is wet or damp bark at time of tapping . Thais dont take the risk.

Cheers Cobbler

• Like 1

Farmer joe as far as i can gather. Unless the seal is very good around the tree and the bark is kept very dry when being tapped ,bacteria will become a problem rendering the tree non productive untill the bacteria is cured. This could take 1 , 2 , 3 or more years. Bacteria can spread from tree to tree also passed on by the knife used to tap the tree. Also stateing the obvious, rubber will be washed away with water. The main problem is wet or damp bark at time of tapping . Thais dont take the risk.

Cheers Cobbler

cobbler,Snowandpigs was looking for rain guards and i gave him the one.

Whether it's practicle is up to him.

Edited to spell cobbler right.

Edited by farmerjo

Anything is possible if done correctly. Its a far better idea than gassing. Thats a recipe for disaster. But not my trees ,not my problem. A sign of desperation,or lack of knowledge,or bad advice. I dont know which,but he will have to learn the hard way i think. When the worst happens,and it will. He can burn the trees and plant another crop,its probably a good thing and then forget thinking yang will make a comeback.

Cheers Cobbler

Edited by cobbler

new topic ,,, has anyone got info on best rain guard hoods ect for over cups ,,what works best ,best price and where to source,,any help appriciated,,regards

india,google it

thanks ,, anyone else got any info a bit more informative

Found this place in Malaysia.

http://www.yanzcorp.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=40&Itemid=84

With rubber being so popular here one would think you could get supplies locally.

thanks farmer jo for ref site ,,all the best ,, chris

• 3 weeks later...
Good luck with that Charlie1. Get great rain down that way. Wats palm oil per kilo now. I know its up and down too but just wondering? Love palm oil farms they look awsom.

What are you doing next?

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Cobbler, palm prices are ok. I've recorded the price we've been selling since 2012 (See attached file).

The reason we're selling is that we need the money for a resort project we want to build.

Cheers!

talking of palm........ what are you getting average per rai for the last year then? how old the palm?

on the rubber - cutters sold the other day not got the bill yet, not expecting much....... saw the lady of the team today and said in my best issan don't bother with the trees the money is toooo small, just a smile and its ok............. the "boss" my wife thinks the same, just leave the tree for the forseeable........ what you guys recon the price will go to in the coming year........... im not a betting man but I would think sub 10 baht is on the cards, not good data floating about at the present.....

all the best to you rubber farmers.......

Hi Thoongfoned, the real net we get from the palm trees after deduction of all costs (Pui, cutters, weed cutting, leaves cutting, etc..) is approx. 1.000 Baht per Rai per month on an average which I have calculated in the last 4 years. The trees are 13 years old now. They will keep on producing for the next 10 years, but a little less at the end. A great thing is that you can plant new ones in between before the old ones are being cut. As the new ones will start producing after the 3rd year, you don't have the long stretch of no income like rubber. Just a little less for a period of 3 years approximately.
yes palm oil has that however,nothing to sell at end of tree life. They are all pushed up and burnt. No offence

Cheers Cobbler

I was watching something on Discovery late last year on green fuel. Palm oil. trunks contain a lot of sugar, which is turned into ethanol. It just needs some enterprising person to set it all up. Pleased rubber has recovered a little. 21 baht at the gate here.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

• Like 2

had a bit of luck the other day the subsidy money was in the bank! got the full 15 rai. (don't even think we have 15 rai of rubber left.5555) had all but given up on it ever coming....

What did it end up being per Rai.

1500 baht a rai. wife kept 900 baht a rai and the cutters were given 600 baht a rai. they looked as happy as I was when they were given the money. very happy! first time we have had the subsidy for rubber, have applied many times before. from what I hear there are still some in our area that have not had any money yet, including the village head man....

Fire near here the other day, middle of nowhere, but it looks like some one lost some trees. My guess some <deleted> tossed a cigarette away, it's bone dry despite a couple of local downpours.

Thoongfoned, maybe the peoples' chanote were not approved. The government folks who were in charge of the subsidies had changed the goal posts a few times during the admin period. Pain in the arse when one has to travel any longish distance for a few photocopies.... We made out using a legal loophole and could receive the 1500/rai. We were awarded subsidy for 60 rai (4 plots). We "rented" our plantations out to rellies. Produced rental agreements and reciepts to government for inspection. This also included bank book look-ats. Rellies and us were happy enough.

on fires - the wife lost some rubber last year this time ish due to a large fire, last week in the same area another very large fire, to me looks like the same area it started as before. I drove out to have a look and this time they had the "fire truck" waiting at the bottom of a large bit of land to make sure it did not jump across road like last time . then onto the rubber land. village head mans face said it all when he see me come down the road.........

other night had a guy in buying loads of pig poo, he tends to buy in the 300 plus bags a time (good customer) I got the wife to ask him about his rubber (he has a lot) he said this year already he has had fires go through more than 100 rai, not sure if total loss or not.

said before people just love a burn up.

• 2 weeks later...

March the 9th, the auctions started this season. Previously always started late April, early May. Prices yesterday 26 baht per kg @ auction. We have'nt even opened the trees yet, start tapping post Sonkran. Very very hot, extremely dry, no rain in months...

• 2 weeks later...

50% chance of rain here if the google app is to be believed. Clouds are building. Fed up of visits to the stream for water for the garden.

Village next door got drenched, all we got was thunder and lightning. Struck the power pole out side the house. Had me diving for cover, what a wuss. 555

• Like 1

Newb here: Great thread!

Question...after the rubber is flowing, what is the best way for a local producer (family farm) to add value to the rubber and increase profits?

Would it pay to (for example) build a small smoke house and smoke the sheets before selling them? I don't know all of the other processing methods at this point. Are there any methods farmers can use to maximize profits rather than be at the mercy of selling latex at the "market" price every day?

Until the price at least doubles, liquid latex, cup rubber, crepe, and sheet - smoked or non smoked, nobody from workers to owners wants to do any extra work, because there is no extra profit in the extra work.

Hence at the end of a working fortnight, there is no more money on the table after taking out %'es, overheads and costs, selling cup rubber (cheapest), to smoked ribbed sheet (most expensive). Comprende?

I think the only way to get extra money out of your rubber land is to find a second crop/product that you can do under the tree canopy. I see people with ducks and geese, some guy does coffee not far from us, maybe there is some other crop that would like the shade. I have thought about doing mushrooms under the canopy but am not sure if having mushroom spoors in the air would be the best for the trees. If you look around my guess is that there is some native crop that evolved on the jungle floor that you can likely grow under the canopy.

Before the canopy closes over you can inter-crop as well. There are pusses and minuses to doing so but I figure with the rubber price so low that delaying maturity of the trees a bit by inter-cropping isn't really that big of a deal.

If the price comes up somewhat I hope to set up a little processing plant to do rubber sheets for us and the family, not sure about smoking though. As it is now, as Thaiguzzi said, there isn't enough money in it to bother.

• Like 2

I think the only way to get extra money out of your rubber land is to find a second crop/product that you can do under the tree canopy. I see people with ducks and geese, some guy does coffee not far from us, maybe there is some other crop that would like the shade. I have thought about doing mushrooms under the canopy but am not sure if having mushroom spoors in the air would be the best for the trees. If you look around my guess is that there is some native crop that evolved on the jungle floor that you can likely grow under the canopy.

Before the canopy closes over you can inter-crop as well. There are pusses and minuses to doing so but I figure with the rubber price so low that delaying maturity of the trees a bit by inter-cropping isn't really that big of a deal.

If the price comes up somewhat I hope to set up a little processing plant to do rubber sheets for us and the family, not sure about smoking though. As it is now, as Thaiguzzi said, there isn't enough money in it to bother.

We're selling the whole lot. 134 rai. We're done. More $$$ in the land than crops.... go figure. (the price of oil/bbl is very cheap - synthetics are leading now.).

• Like 2

We're selling the whole lot. 134 rai. We're done. More $$$ in the land than crops.... go figure. (the price of oil/bbl is very cheap - synthetics are leading now.).

I can definitely understand your sentiment. It does my head in to see the few people who are still planting new trees. They gotta be nuts. By my calculations there is much better money in cassava or sugar or pretty much anything other than rice. one of the reasons why we are hanging on to the 25 rai we have is that I would likely end up supporting some of the inlaws anyhow, better to give them a job!

Thanks for the reply.

I've wondered about raising livestock in among the trees.

Seems like fowl would be a reasonable idea.

I'm not sure about Goats, Cows, Sheep or pigs.

Seems like they could do some damage.

The Ducks and Geese seem like a pretty decent idea.

Won't get wealthy but, any additional income is good.

• Like 1