Rubber Trees

New family of tappers arrived today after having driven up from the south. 2 sons one wife and a 100 year old father. One of the sons had come up to look a the plantation a few days earlier. He was very impressed with the trees and told the others to pack up and head home. They had been working as tappers for 15 years in the south, so know their stuff,

Asked if they needed any thing, all they wanted was to do cup for awhile so that they could build a house on the plantation during the day and not make sheet. Nothing else, said they had a euca plantation in their old village and would build with wood from there. Told them I would put a well in for them and they could have all the bits from the old house we were 1/2 way through knocking down and if they did a good job building I would pay for the concrete floor, all happy.

Theses are the types I want, either live at the factory or on the plantation, once settled they will not want to pack up leaving their home behind. Good result all round, back up to 12 workers and some casual day workers. Jim

goodonya mate...better security against the latex hunters too!

They are about, lost about 15 kikos last week. moving back to sheet now we have enough workers. As I said before if you can get good honest tappers take care of them. Then all you ever have to do is take your cut each month. Jim

Our problems with pilfering by persons unknown at the far borders of our farm are slight it seems compared to some other farms ..most of rellies and friends /neighbors we hear about lose the lot.... liquid or cup...fact of life I suppose....

New family of tappers arrived today after having driven up from the south. 2 sons one wife and a 100 year old father. One of the sons had come up to look a the plantation a few days earlier. He was very impressed with the trees and told the others to pack up and head home. They had been working as tappers for 15 years in the south, so know their stuff,

Asked if they needed any thing, all they wanted was to do cup for awhile so that they could build a house on the plantation during the day and not make sheet. Nothing else, said they had a euca plantation in their old village and would build with wood from there. Told them I would put a well in for them and they could have all the bits from the old house we were 1/2 way through knocking down and if they did a good job building I would pay for the concrete floor, all happy.

Theses are the types I want, either live at the factory or on the plantation, once settled they will not want to pack up leaving their home behind. Good result all round, back up to 12 workers and some casual day workers. Jim

goodonya mate...better security against the latex hunters too!

They are about, lost about 15 kikos last week. moving back to sheet now we have enough workers. As I said before if you can get good honest tappers take care of them. Then all you ever have to do is take your cut each month. Jim

Our problems with pilfering by persons unknown at the far borders of our farm are slight it seems compared to some other farms ..most of rellies and friends /neighbors we hear about lose the lot.... liquid or cup...fact of life I suppose....

One of our friends had her rubber sheets stolen from outside her home, and she lives dead opposite a 24hr manned police box. One of the top cops in town is her gik.

Most of the theft around here is more of the roaming hords that come and take the fruit from the trees and some cup as they pass. Only big time trouble was when they were breaking in to the storage sheds at the factory, but the CCTV put a stop to that after 5 went to the monkey house, thanks to video evidence. Every now and then you hear of a shoot out on a plantation, but that's the real bad boys who live or come from over the border. That seems to have stopped as we now have a bigger army and forest department presents along the border. Jim

• Like 1

Most of the theft around here is more of the roaming hords that come and take the fruit from the trees and some cup as they pass. Only big time trouble was when they were breaking in to the storage sheds at the factory, but the CCTV put a stop to that after 5 went to the monkey house, thanks to video evidence. Every now and then you hear of a shoot out on a plantation, but that's the real bad boys who live or come from over the border. That seems to have stopped as we now have a bigger army and forest department presents along the border. Jim

We now have a neighbor and family cutting some of our trees...father set himself up one day with his homemade gun ...pissed as hell about the vagrants stealing..never saw anybody ...still think a bit over the top to hoot anyone for stealing rubber though.

Thought about video etc but methinks amortization for amount stolen not viable...lol

btw, if you're collecting latex daily rather than kee every few days, isn't it much harder for somechai to nick that ?

Yes if the workers tap and sleep, then collect almost impossible to steal. You would have to be a fool to try, as all my tappers carry nok rifles just encase dinner shows it's head. Jim
  • Like 1

I saw rain guards for sale in Ranong, 70 Baht.

They steal them as well. Must be some rain guard at 70 Baht. Jim

They look like those over sized peak caps you see some Thais wearing. I'm tempted to try a sample, but meeting resistance, Our tapper says they block the sun??? Erm they tap at night, so am I missing something?

In Buengkan, I've seen rain guards selling for 60 and 80b. Apparently the locals often make themselves. My workers said can make themselves, give them stainless wire and plastic, and they started making. They've not finished so I can't yet cost each guard, but is lower than 60b, thinking maybe 25-30b cost each. Now this is with very flimsy plastic which may not last long. Seems some sort of tree glue or goop is necessary to seal the plastic to the tree so that water doesn't leak down past and into the tapping cut and so wash out the latex. That's next on the list.

In Buengkan, I've seen rain guards selling for 60 and 80b. Apparently the locals often make themselves. My workers said can make themselves, give them stainless wire and plastic, and they started making. They've not finished so I can't yet cost each guard, but is lower than 60b, thinking maybe 25-30b cost each. Now this is with very flimsy plastic which may not last long. Seems some sort of tree glue or goop is necessary to seal the plastic to the tree so that water doesn't leak down past and into the tapping cut and so wash out the latex. That's next on the list.

The rain guard thing has been brought up before, over the years. Yet to hear anyone say they worked. Generally here when it's raining it's really raining and unless you cover the whole cup area can't see them doing much good. Did read about big covers that do in fact cover the whole cup and tapping area, but they would just slow the tappers to a crawl as they need to be opened each tap. My bet is just put some acid in each cup and make cup rubber if the rains are about to hit. Jim

Thanks Kwanitoy!

Off topic a bit, but I just found out the other day that my Thai neighbor has 150 rai of mature rubber in production. This provides him with one very nice lifestyle. Has 3 houses, 3 wives, 6 kids, multiple vehicles, etc. His family look after his trees for him, he is busy enough cultivating the wives, too busy for the trees.

Ball park how much would they be making on this 150 rai ??

Thanks Kwanitoy!

Off topic a bit, but I just found out the other day that my Thai neighbor has 150 rai of mature rubber in production. This provides him with one very nice lifestyle. Has 3 houses, 3 wives, 6 kids, multiple vehicles, etc. His family look after his trees for him, he is busy enough cultivating the wives, too busy for the trees.

If good trees and depending on age of trees 1 to 3 mill baht after costs. . Not a poor man by most standards. Jim

How many species have gone extinct in the last 50 years because of Rubber Trees?

Abundance of life seems to be considered "dirty and wild" in the tongue of Thailand.

I've seen more rubber being burned in the last year than being recycled....

OK I give in, how many?

4% of India's carbon output comes from their method of cooking in the sticks. Maybe they should go back to raw food?

• Like 2

Thanks Kwanitoy!

Since his trees are mature and his family also owns and operates a small processing factory, my guess is that he is clearing about 200,000 to 300,000 baht per month. Similar to Jim's estimate. He may even do better as there might be better economies of scale once you get to that size of farm. His land is all in Rayong too, so fewer days lost to rain.

Just on the on going debate on wet cup verses dry cup prices. Today after a visit from a very nice Australian chap, the topic came up again, Now here it has been a simple thing, dry cup gets more than wet end of story. Since my return from the land down under, 2 months ago, a new group of drive by wet cup rubber buyers have emerged. Now when I was buying cup we took the water content and paid the price for dry rubber content. These new buyers are paying well over the top for wet rubber and it has been playing on my mind as to why.

This evening, covered in sweat and paint, after painting the Aunts new house, or should I say my new quest house as she will never stay there by herself. The woman who runs 5 pickup truck buyers came by. Grabbed the wife, and all smelly covered in paint and a beer in hand said how much for the wet cup. 45 Baht. Today's local Government price for dry cup[ local ] 53 Baht, looked at the wife and said no chance they can make a profit and she has 5 trucks, Usual story, sometimes we lose 5000 to 10000 Baht per day, my cop/screw BS meter clicks in. I looked at the woman and said crepe [ not crap ] the look on her face said it all. The wet rubber is for a crepe factory. Crepe rubber is the stuff used for shoe soles ergo China.

Am now lead to believe there is a crepe processing factory in Burriram.

Anyone around that area who can find the phone number, I would be happy if you sent it to me.

As is always a new twist in the story and I have looked at producing crepe in the passed, but could not find a buyer. Jim

Jim I assume you mean the liqid latex collected every morning. Correct me if I'm wrong, I know someone (Thai) who sells it, and she says all her family do. I can't see the sense in it.

Edited by Mosha

Jim I assume you mean the liqid latex collected every morning. Correct me if I'm wrong, I know someone (Thai) who sells it, and she says all her family do. I can't see the sence in it.

Mosha not liquid latex, very wet cup rubber. They take the wet cup and run it through some machines and make big long sheets. This rubber contains lots of air pockets, making it perfect for running shoes etc It is a grade I have not seen in Thailand, but is produced in India a lot. Probably India produces lot of shoes. As I said looked in to it a few years back after a Chinese company contacted me about supplying it. Unfortunately know nothing about direct export so had to say sorry.

Simple crepeing machines are not that dear, but if you go into direct export you need big turn overs and that costs. Jim

Ah, ok. Still I can't understand them selling the liquid, as they transport it daily to the selling points. Sheets we wait until we have at least 200, and it's 1km away.

Edited by Mosha

Ah, ok. Still I can't understand them selling the liquid, as they transport it daily to the selling points. Sheets we wait until we have at least 200, and it's 1km away.

Fairly simple. we buy liquid [ if I can get it ] at around 70 Baht per kilo dry rubber content. then make RSS. Others buy cup, dry it and make TSR [ Big machines and processing into blocks] Others buy liquid latex to make rubber cloves, condoms etc, but usually pay about the same price for the rubber as sheet makers. Crepe makers want not liquid or dry rubber, but a wet cup rubber. They press it and put it through rollers to make a rubber that is clean, but has a lot of air content, spongy.Sure there are another 101 way to process the stuff. Thing is finding someone to buy it. Was back in OZ and met a guy who makes conveyer belts for potatoes and wheat and he would buy all the rubber I could get, but the rubber he needs is processed in many ways and I would need to spend millions of dollars to set set up, then he would still only be buying 3 tons a month. Big business will always control the game. Jim

James, that may be the AHA! solution. There are a few fresh kee buyers around my area that I swear they must loose money - figure the percentages and there is NO WAY they cannot loose money. Crepe could be exactly right answer as the value added makes up for the slightly higher price paid.

There's what looks to be a 'being put together' processing just outside of Buengkan, has 4 very large crepe machines powered by a large diesel engine hooked to a distributed drive system. they had many racks of crepe hanging when we stopped by. Interesting they were well along the construction process for 5 very large smoking rooms so I figure they will be doing RSS at some point. Odd thing is that there was no processing going on when we were there, just a few lazy construction people.

also, on the topic of crepe, today we spoke with a driver taking his load of crepe to the Rubberland factory, said came from RoiEt, took him six and a half hours to drive here. I suppose there has to be a bit of money in it to cover the transport costs.