Rubber Trees

Always thought KK was too dry for rubber. Shed loads of rubber going in there now. KK was always mainly sugarcane and still is. KK rainfall is NEVER as much as Udon or Nong Khai. I just do'nt think output will be as good as Udon/NK. 2 year old trees do'nt need water to survive the dry season, and if there's no electric, then it's gonna get expensive to pump using petrol/diesel.

Mike.

cobbler

Just because rubber seems to have a lot of surface roots doesn't mean they don't have a tap root and a big one at that.

According to one rubber site, a 3 year old tree should have a taproot 3 to 5 meters deep, not sure how deep they will go, but well within the water table for here.

Little trees die in the dry, but one or 2 year old trees, their roots should be deep enough to get water, unless you plant in an area that has a deep water table. Jim

cobbler

Just because rubber seems to have a lot of surface roots doesn't mean they don't have a tap root and a big one at that.

According to one rubber site, a 3 year old tree should have a taproot 3 to 5 meters deep, not sure how deep they will go, but well within the water table for here.

Little trees die in the dry, but one or 2 year old trees, their roots should be deep enough to get water, unless you plant in an area that has a deep water table. Jim

True enough and it shows that it's crucial to do some homework before starting to buy land and plant trees.We just sold sheets,85 per kilo.So happy with that.I'm begininjg to believe what locals tell us.''Don't store yang too long as the rubber can swet out of the sheets ,.Actually loosing weight.

Cheers Cobbler

a waterpump costs only 40k which is a solar one, so it's only a 1 time investment, irrigation system i make myself so every tree get a little water every day.

As mentioned, KK is indeed dry, yet my 2 year old trees are all well above 1.5 meter tall which is good, and very very green so I'm very happy.

However, a bit water on non-rainy days can't hurt during the dry season if it's free water. Energy and water from mature nature, only with the help of 1 device. So I'm not worried about extra expenses which I can see as small investment, which never have to be purchased again. Just wondering if that can hurt the rubber trees. For example every dry day, give each 2yr old tree only 2 lite water... I like to treat them well, as they are all people standing in there all day, they might get thirsty as well lol :)

So will it be good, or bad idea ? The waterpump will be purchased anyway, just howmany liters per 2yr old tree every day when there is no rain :)

PS. Howcome so little topics are about solarpumps? I mean, so much sun in Thailand, and alternatives (electric and fuel) are not free. Why not invest 20k more for a pump powered by the sun ? :S

a waterpump costs only 40k which is a solar one, so it's only a 1 time investment, irrigation system i make myself so every tree get a little water every day.

As mentioned, KK is indeed dry, yet my 2 year old trees are all well above 1.5 meter tall which is good, and very very green so I'm very happy.

However, a bit water on non-rainy days can't hurt during the dry season if it's free water. Energy and water from mature nature, only with the help of 1 device. So I'm not worried about extra expenses which I can see as small investment, which never have to be purchased again. Just wondering if that can hurt the rubber trees. For example every dry day, give each 2yr old tree only 2 lite water... I like to treat them well, as they are all people standing in there all day, they might get thirsty as well lol smile.png

So will it be good, or bad idea ? The waterpump will be purchased anyway, just howmany liters per 2yr old tree every day when there is no rain smile.png

PS. Howcome so little topics are about solarpumps? I mean, so much sun in Thailand, and alternatives (electric and fuel) are not free. Why not invest 20k more for a pump powered by the sun ? :S

Think the reason for lack of solar pumps, is thay don't pump mush water. You are not going to irrigate much land with one. Remember you are not watering carrots, but big trees with deep roots. Don't know much about tree root systems, but thought that the surface roots were more about getting nutrients and oxygen than water.

May be one of the members has a better understanding of the workings of trees.

Good price cobbler, wish I had the workers to make sheet, can't complain though as we have crepe buyers here and they pay better than the dry cup buyers. Jim

However, a bit water on non-rainy days can't hurt during the dry season if it's free water. Energy and water from mature nature, only with the help of 1 device. So I'm not worried about extra expenses which I can see as small investment, which never have to be purchased again. Just wondering if that can hurt the rubber trees. For example every dry day, give each 2yr old tree only 2 lite water... I like to treat them well, as they are all people standing in there all day, they might get thirsty as well lol smile.png

So will it be good, or bad idea ? The waterpump will be purchased anyway, just howmany liters per 2yr old tree every day when there is no rain smile.png

Think the reason for lack of solar pumps, is thay don't pump mush water. You are not going to irrigate much land with one. Remember you are not watering carrots, but big trees with deep roots. Don't know much about tree root systems, but thought that the surface roots were more about getting nutrients and oxygen than water.

Good price cobbler, wish I had the workers to make sheet, can't complain though as we have crepe buyers here and they pay better than the dry cup buyers. Jim

I am not someone with green fingers (yet) but would imagine that you'd have to pump at least 10-15 liters per tree to make it worth your while Most of it will evaporate or go down to a level where there are no roots. As far as the pump is concerned, I do appreciate liking the solar powered one, but I do not believe it to be a 1 time investment. Sometimes it may pay to get the power supply there, but that depends on future development.

Not many pump manufacturers make a pump that does not break down (mine, 14k baht, did after 5-6 years down a 65 meter deep well).

Further to buying and installing the pump, I imagine that in the area there will not be a stream or river with water during this dry spell, so a well has to be drilled as well. That doesn't have to be expensive, if you only dig or drill 5-10 meters (dependend on "summer" water table in the area) deep, but when you go down to 65 meters where you can expect water of drinking quality it will set you back a further 75-100k.

The idea to water trees is good (I think) but how to best (read "most econimic") is a decission only you can make. My strategy is to invest in the farm as much/good as possible now, whilst earning money, in the hope/gamble/expectation that the returns will come when I retire. I am not really looking at a return on investment as much as just the daily/weekly/monthly returns.

• Like 1

Back home, A bit of a shock when I realised I'd overstayed 12 hours oops. New growth is already appearing on some plots

Lean

Back home, A bit of a shock when I realised I'd overstayed 12 hours oops. New growth is already appearing on some plots

Learn something new everyday, won't have thought that there would have been that much difference iin time for the trees to go dormant.

Leaves are browning here, but still producing. Jim

Hansje1980,What Jim is saying is pretty right.1 idea that I've seen for watering trees here is this.Build your self a tall tank stand.Put a PVC watertank on top,biggest 1 you can find.Put a corrugatad roof on top of this to keep sun of PVC.Then run your pipe to all your trees.Put small sprays at the base of the trees ,not drippers.When your tank is full of water,have an automatic trip thing kind of like the flush system in your toilet.This way you can have good pressure.from your tank ,with only small pressure needed to fill it.Have 2 inch pipe coming out of the tank and then reduce it down in size close to your sprinklers.This will keep your pressure good.Don't use black pipe even though it's cheaper to buy as the water will boil.

Cheers and good luck with it all Cobbler

30 MM of rain 2 days ago ,so happy with that,on day off too so thats even better.Still hanging in there with the good flow.wai2.gif

Ditto Jim.It always amazes me.Even though we are not that far from Mosha his season and climate is very different from ours.Our old leaves are still hanging in there.Don't fart as they'll all blow off.

Go the yang farmersclap2.gif

• Like 1

Hansje1980,What Jim is saying is pretty right.1 idea that I've seen for watering trees here is this.Build your self a tall tank stand.Put a PVC watertank on top,biggest 1 you can find.Put a corrugatad roof on top of this to keep sun of PVC.Then run your pipe to all your trees.Put small sprays at the base of the trees ,not drippers.When your tank is full of water,have an automatic trip thing kind of like the flush system in your toilet.This way you can have good pressure.from your tank ,with only small pressure needed to fill it.Have 2 inch pipe coming out of the tank and then reduce it down in size close to your sprinklers.This will keep your pressure good.Don't use black pipe even though it's cheaper to buy as the water will boil.

We are using black poly on the sprinkler lines but have them down the middle of the rows. When the water gets hot it helps to keep the ants out and the water cools when the sprinklers run it through the air and as it soaks in to the ground. The sprinklers have about 1.5 metres spread. Also 90% of the poly line is in the shade when the trees have leaves. Works fine.

Greg

Edited by gregj69

We are using black poly on the sprinkler lines but have them down the middle of the rows. When the water gets hot it helps to keep the ants out and the water cools when the sprinklers run it through the air and as it soaks in to the ground. The sprinklers have about 1.5 metres spread. Also 90% of the poly line is in the shade when the trees have leaves. Works fine.

Greg

Greg ,That sounds good

This end of season is weird, and maybe down to a lack of wind. However I'm seeing a mix of old yellow and brown leaves, with new growth on the same tree. This is in various parts of the area.

Weird is rite.We had another 60 MM of rain in the last 2 days,and still raining now.So this is great as we can keep getting good yang for at least another month now.Even maybe another 2 months.Our Mon are very happy too.

I am not someone with green fingers (yet) but would imagine that you'd have to pump at least 10-15 liters per tree to make it worth your while Most of it will evaporate or go down to a level where there are no roots. As far as the pump is concerned, I do appreciate liking the solar powered one, but I do not believe it to be a 1 time investment. Sometimes it may pay to get the power supply there, but that depends on future development.

Not many pump manufacturers make a pump that does not break down (mine, 14k baht, did after 5-6 years down a 65 meter deep well).

Further to buying and installing the pump, I imagine that in the area there will not be a stream or river with water during this dry spell, so a well has to be drilled as well. That doesn't have to be expensive, if you only dig or drill 5-10 meters (dependend on "summer" water table in the area) deep, but when you go down to 65 meters where you can expect water of drinking quality it will set you back a further 75-100k.

The idea to water trees is good (I think) but how to best (read "most econimic") is a decission only you can make. My strategy is to invest in the farm as much/good as possible now, whilst earning money, in the hope/gamble/expectation that the returns will come when I retire. I am not really looking at a return on investment as much as just the daily/weekly/monthly returns.

Giday All

I have just spent several hours reading back over the site as I have been away down under. Busy with Christmas and fire season there having to keep an eye on the other farm in East Gippsland - Victoria - Australia - scary stuff but rain came and the risk reduced to below panic level thank goodness. After a few 43 degree days it is good to be back to the COOL of Thailand.

We are still cutting 2/1day off and just backing off a little in production but hanging in. leaf not decided what to do after it started to fall then stopped as rain has been in the area after 6 weeks of dry, Cup rubber 42bt/kg last 3 sales.

I have followed with interest hansje post on watering rubber trees - I am an avid fan of renewable energy, as per the question

"Just how many liters per 2yr old tree every day when there is no rain "

Can I suggest placing a clear plastic sheet (same as a water still) completely sealing the bag over a tree for 24 hours and capturing the water expired = usage needed x tree number will give an accurate required daily literage for your plantation. Covering several trees spread over the property to get a better average if you have anything other than flat even land.

IE; trees on ridges v valleys v watertable access v big v small trees etc;

Consider flexible tube dripper systems, = most effective water application and cheaper setup costs.

You could pump to a high tank that would keep the system pressurized exacerbating pump flow/pressure rates and allow the solar pump lead time/down time if sun not out.

I have found a wealth of knowledge from the driest continent - Perth Australia is the solar capitol of the universe, quality time tested and warranted products available, so look at annexpower.com and awomansspark.com - also helpful is backyardaquaponics.com - with many deep well pumps utilized in the outback aquifers, I am sure your research will be fruitful within this country. HOWEVER DO check with importers on costs and available agents in Thailand for the same ozy product.

Good luck and happy farming

Rubberpatch

Well that's it. The trees have put up the closed until further notice signs 555. Tapper is doing some work around the house, then taking his boy to his parents back home, for schooling.

Hi Mosha,Are your seeds formed on your trees?Also ,did your production drop off ,or did you just stop to let your trees rest?

Cheers Cobbler

Trees are only producing drops, a lot of the trees now are bare or new growth. Plot next door is completely green again, but they are struggling to keep a tapper. Only 10 rai and about 700 trees. I wish I'd bought it when it was scrub, but the boss wasn't interested. I could have got it for 80K.

• Like 1

Here's some figures that show how bad the drop in the price of rubber has affected us all. Trees are 600, first season 6-7 years old approx 2100 cut, 2nd season 7-8 years old, approx 22-2300 cut.

#season one 12/5/11-24/1/12, total kgs cup rubber 6,926, total amount 407,533 baht.

#season two 11/5/12-5/2/13, total kgs cup rubber 12,584, total amount 575,800 baht.

Season one had a high of 81.9 baht per kg and stayed in the 70's until sept, in the 60's and 50's till nov.

Season two started at 62.10 baht per kg but by june was already in the 40's never to recover. Last sale a coupla days ago was 46.90.

Nearly twice as much kgs but only about 40% more money. I think we'll continue to struggle for another 2 years when we finally cut all 5000 of our trees.

Happy new year,

Mike.

• Like 1

Let's hope so. This last season just finished we supplemented the income by selling my olde beloved Ford tractor and my father in the uk sending us £2k / 100k baht. Still got another 15 months on the truck payments. The missus has suggested we clear off back to the UK for 2 years with our son and get "normal" jobs, stopping cutting the 550 trees she does, but continuing cutting the 1900 odd her brother and his wife cut. In 2 years we will cut all 5000 on 64 rai, we'll be ok then, even putting money in the bank. After living here for 10 years this sept, that's a big decision, and from my point of view; a last resort. Fingers crossed we get regular 50 plus baht a kg for cup, plus output should be well up again, trees being one year older and that panel is getting slowly lower.

Mike.

If 1 is happy and content with the money earnt ,and feels like it's enough ,well stay, but if you get to the stage that you get bored or want a change for what ever reason ,then go.Nobody lives for ever.So make the most of lifes opportunities,whatever they may be,where ever they may be.Do what ever makes you happy at the time.

I know myself ,I can make much more money in OZ than here but it comes at a price,Freedom.Living here for 2 years has been very good for me and for our married life. I can even talk about OZ now without swearing..Goes to show ,time heals all wounds.

Cheers Cobbler

PS Think I got too much spare timetongue.png

• Like 2

5 migraines a year in my last 10 years at work in the UK. 2 migraines in 10 years since. (Lol just realised it's 10 years and 7 days since my escape.) I'll stick with what I've got, I do have a small company pension that provides for us.

Mike,

interesting stats. On my 25 we're cutting about 1950 of 2050 at this point. For calculations I'll say 1900 as I'd added about 150 cups to lagards from the first day of opening. I'd recorded outputs and baht since Sept 1st as before then it was new trees that just began to come online, new workers, rain and more rain, then a month of no workers and then replacements

9/1/2012 > 2/5/2013 we collected 7505kg keeyang and average price was 40 point something baht.and 300,725 baht and we kept 60% as our share. The rest is arithmetic but based on all I've read and all the discussions on this forum with youz guyz and with the local falangs this is pretty decent output. I can only hope to see a jump in 2nd year output as good as yours! Shoot, if the price went up to 50 and I got that big of a jump I'd consider strapping on the headlamp and mosquito repellant myself ;)