Rubber Trees

OK, can someone enlighten me as to standard practice for tappers/owners?

I've been cleaning rows of weeds, mowing & strimming, went round the other day spraying wasps and am about to start fertilizer next week or so.

We on same split as above with husband & wife team (not live-in).

My wife says it should be their job to at least assist, is this usual?

I don't mind clearing and getting rid of wasps as I want all to be safe. Had a pair of pit vipers around the other day and the tapper is shit scared of snakes. Last time they saw one he sent his wife to get me and wouldn't come out of the tree until we got rid of it.

Can you tell me usual agreements as I don't want them taking the piss.

Wot Mosha said.

On a 60/40 split they should be cutting the grass with strimmers (yours or theirs) and helping put the fertilizer in. And bagging up on sales day. On that split, the owner should be paying ALL costs, ie formic, diesel and/or petrol, and obviously fertilizer.

I have heard of 65/35 splits in the province of Bueng Khan where they do nothing but tap and formic with no grass cutting or fertilizer work.

There are also a couple of farms locally that do a 50/50 split, and the workers are recquired to share all costs inc fertilizer.

• Like 2

The Burma we had tapping for us has done a runner, I'm guessing he owes someone money. Anyway Mrs Mosha's mum tells her that her grandson needs work. So my wife gives him a call. He agrees, but can we help him move across the peninsula. Moving date was yesterday the 30th. Then Saturday his mum calls, and he'll make his own way. Sopha had cleaned the downstairs half floor out. Yesterday a no show, Sopha calls him, he's changed his mind. He couldn't be bothered letting her know. Nothing good has come out of my mum in law's husband. He's not Sopha's dad, another story there.
I shouldn't be surprised at the lack of consideration, but it does get my goat

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mosha hi mate. I think from memory u have 10 rai. Theres the problem right there. With prices being so low right now. Income wouldnt be enough to survive on.

As for manners [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji107]

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He's registered to someone else, so our plot was supplementing his income. He was tapping 1000 trees.

• Like 1

I don't think Grollie's tappers are going to last the distance. Plenty of snakes in a rubber plantation. I would not want a call at 3 in the morning saying "help - snake". ShIt, it's the other way round with me. I see a snake when walking, i do a runner or call the missus.

• Like 2

The runaway's BIL is cutting now. He's a nice guy, sharpens Sopha's tool for her. He doesn't ask for anything, but we pass on any uneaten food to them. They are not impressed with what the runaway has done. It means they have to take up the slack for the income loss to the household.

Another update on the Mon tapper Sopha sacked last year. She said a few weeks ago he was going back to Burma to bring his eldest son here. He's stopped sending money for school, so the family pulled him out. He didn't bother telling the people they is now tapping for. That's about 3 plots. 2 of them were down looking for him last week. lol.

Anyone got a link to online fertilizer mix calculator or can check my calcs?

Got 21-7-14 and want to mix it up to 30-5-18 using 46-0-0 & 0-0-60.

Appreciate any help, my maths pretty good but the farm shop says I'm wrong (as usual, being farang) 555

OK chaps, here goes.

Got 1300 trees +7y/o needing 30-5-18 at 330g/tree.

Demand: (see applied)

N - 128.7kg (128.05kg)

P - 21.45kg (22.75kg)

K - 77.2kg (76.7kg)

Applied:

21-7-14 325kg

N = 68.25kg

P = 22.75kg

K = 45.5kg

46-0-0 130kg

N = 59.8kg

P = 0kg

K = 0kg

0-0-60 52kg

N = 0kg

P = 0kg

K = 31.2kg

TOTAL APPLIED

N = 68.25 + 59.8 + 0 = 128.05kg

P = 22.75 + 0 + 0 = 22.75kg

K = 45.5 + 0 + 31.2 = 76.7kg

?

Edited by grollies

# Why don't you just buy 29-5-18?

# Just had a look, can't find my details re the correct mix for 30-5-18.

# If you are willing to wade thru previous posts, i posted the exact formula a few years ago, when we did once, and once only. Pain in the arse, made easier because we still had the Ford tractor then which had a 500 kg fertilizer box on the back which made things er, more easy. Possibly 2012?

# I think there is another bag/number missing off your formula, we used 3 types to get the mix.

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

# Why don't you just buy 29-5-18?

# Just had a look, can't find my details re the correct mix for 30-5-18.

# If you are willing to wade thru previous posts, i posted the exact formula a few years ago, when we did once, and once only. Pain in the arse, made easier because we still had the Ford tractor then which had a 500 kg fertilizer box on the back which made things er, more easy. Possibly 2012?

# I think there is another bag/number missing off your formula, we used 3 types to get the mix.

Regards,

Mike.

Farm shop didn't stock 29-5-18, I don't know why, I'll ask him as everyone round here grows rubber.

I double-checked and weight for weight NPK seems ok. Not too much hassle mixing and got 1300 trees done by early afternoon with 4 of us.

Yep, used 3 types, 21-7-14, 46-0-0 & 0-0-60.

Had a chat with the tappers as we're off to a pretty slow start, he wanted 50/50 and us to clear the ground. He offered half the fertilizer cost. Ended up 60/40 we pay fertilizer and clear trees, done most of it now anyway.

I was considering learning to tap but not sure I fancy 3 hours plus 2 days out of 3 tapping 850 trees.

Wife got someone else lined-up if these two let us down.

Cheers for the reply anycase, I'll search for your formula.

Regards back,

Mark

• Like 1

Once a fair bit of rubber is being tapped in your area, the local fertilizer shop SHOULD be stocking 29-5-18.

Happened here too, loads of plantations all coming of age, no one had 29-5-18. Hence our first year mix. Now they all stock it, because 90% of plantations are being tapped.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2017 at 8:33 PM, grollies said:

Anyone got a link to online fertilizer mix calculator or can check my calcs?

Got 21-7-14 and want to mix it up to 30-5-18 using 46-0-0 & 0-0-60.

Appreciate any help, my maths pretty good but the farm shop says I'm wrong (as usual, being farang) 555

Found it!

To make 30 x 50 kg bags of 30-5-18=

3 x 50 kg bags of 18-46-0

18 x 50 kg bags of 46-0-0

9 x 50 kg bags of 0-0-60

Or put another way, to make 500 kgs of 30-5-18, you need;

1 bag of 18-46-0

6 bags of 46-0-0

3 bags of 0-0-60.

Mike.

• Like 2

Cheers Mike. I eventually found the rubberboard handbook wifey had been given which had the same mix ratios.

Trouble is she had already bought the Yara 21-7-14 as the farmshop recommended this for 7y/o trees. But I wanted to get up to the equivalent NPK by weight as 30-5-18.

So I calculated the weight equivalent for NPK 30-5-18 and got the demand figures above.

Then I had to work out how to get 21-7-14 up to the equivalent NPK weight to apply.

Above is what I ended up with and the mix gives the weight figures in (  ).

Definately look harder next time for 30-5-18.

I made the tappers dig it in also instead of scattering it around. He phoned in the next day to say he was too tired to tap......oh well...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1st visit for a few weeks, so sorry I can't say. Sold yesterday at 29, its hovering around 28 down here. Rains helping, wife taps around the showers.

Wife was tapping earlier in the week, the Burma's son a little higher up. A few drops of rain. He sets of home shouting it's raining. Wife sits down, lights a fag, after 5 mins she looks up sees stars, carries on tapping.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mosha said:

23 baht/kg kee yang today.

Yeah, just been reading about it after the missus told me.

Tokyo stock market, rubber down on 5 consecutive sessions, lowest price in 7 months.

Shanghai stock market down to 2005 levels.
Commodities all down EXCEPT oil, which is up.

Dollar vs Yuan and Yen. Blah blah.

God i hate stockbrokers. Men in suits in general.

We sell tomorrow, get paid Thursday, we'll see....

• Like 1

Last night first full nights rain of the wet season. Stream broke it's banks. Wife had been able to tap around the showers until last night. I don't think I'm helping when I offer her an umbrella. 555

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grollies said:

Don't know how you guys are managing to tap, it's rained here nearly every day since 1st May.

We haven't managed a full cup yet.

Rainy season, ya gotta tap when ya can tap. If you know it's gonna rain night after night, start day time taps. When the rains are bad, and consistent, time wise, ie regularly every night for a week, we'll tap mornings, or lunchtimes, or afternoons, evenings. As long as the tree bark is dry - tap!

• Like 2