Rubber Trees

15 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Rainy season, ya gotta tap when ya can tap. If you know it's gonna rain night after night, start day time taps. When the rains are bad, and consistent, time wise, ie regularly every night for a week, we'll tap mornings, or lunchtimes, or afternoons, evenings. As long as the tree bark is dry - tap!

Rains are fairly predictable but how do you stop the cups getting full of water and spoiling the latex?

Assume tap early hours then get formic in before the rain comes PM.

7 minutes ago, grollies said:

Rains are fairly predictable but how do you stop the cups getting full of water and spoiling the latex?

Assume tap early hours then get formic in before the rain comes PM.

Obviously night time is best. But when you go days (nights) on end without tapping, you just tap when you can. And do the formic.

Sometimes you can just manage half the trees before the storm clouds come, and the tappers run around like blue arsed flies getting the formic in.

Other times they  are halfway through a session, or even worse, nearly finished the whole tap, and the heavy rains just arrive. Suddenly. A whole 4-5-6 hours up the spout. Too late to do anything. We call this a "white out".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Obviously night time is best. But when you go days (nights) on end without tapping, you just tap when you can. And do the formic.

Sometimes you can just manage half the trees before the storm clouds come, and the tappers run around like blue arsed flies getting the formic in.

Other times they  are halfway through a session, or even worse, nearly finished the whole tap, and the heavy rains just arrive. Suddenly. A whole 4-5-6 hours up the spout. Too late to do anything. We call this a "white out".

Thanks for the advice, you know I'm a novice at this.

Every day's a school day.

• Like 1

Cheers, no problem.

We are never to old to learn, whatever it may be, me included.

My missus has now stopped tapping herself for 3-4 years now.

Before she started with 10 rai, by herself behind the house, but brother and SIL were about one km away on another parcel tapping. Then she did another 10 right next to the other 10 rai, so 20 rai in a night by HERSELF. By this time i was getting up at 1 in the morning and giving her a hand, more company than anything else, and the above stories of running around like blue arsed flies trying to get formic whilst it is bucketing down, drenched, and realizing after 10-15 minutes we're wasting our time, and just accept we've had a complete "white out", - we've been there.

Nowadays, she just delegates, and waits for the money to come in once a fortnight...

• Like 1

On 15/05/2017 at 8:31 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Anybody else notice this?

This thread went from p140 to p175 overnight a couple of days ago...

Now up to page 235, wonder why?

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 24.77 baht per kg.
That 6 baht per kg drop in the price happened over the weekend, Fri - Monday afternoon.
'kin stockbrokers....

In a source I can't name, a strong baht is affecting many industries.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Mosha said:

In a source I can't name, a strong baht is affecting many industries.

That as well, but the main instigator in the price drop (20%ish over 4 days) was the Tokyo and Shanghai stock market, data and rubber futures. Basically men in suits in an office in a far away country.

Did i tell you i hate stockbrokers?

The website Global Rubber Markets will reveal all...

• Like 1

On 06/06/2017 at 9:41 AM, grollies said:

Don't know how you guys are managing to tap, it's rained here nearly every day since 1st May.

We haven't managed a full cup yet.

We are having one of your weeks. In 8 days since we last sold, we've managed 1 (ONE) tap....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

We are having one of your weeks. In 8 days since we last sold, we've managed 1 (ONE) tap....

Stopped raining here a few days ago and have turned lump in cups. One more tap should see our first sale this season.

Mind you it lashed down early morning today and the trees are wet again but no 'whiteout'. :smile:

Had a couple of positive comments re our tappers from other tappers coming over to buy eggs. They all have a nosy round the trees and say the tapping looks very neat.

Because of poor production and low price we've agreed to go 50/50 for now. Other owners we talk to are doing the same.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, grollies said:

Stopped raining here a few days ago and have turned lump in cups. One more tap should see our first sale this season.

Mind you it lashed down early morning today and the trees are wet again but no 'whiteout'. :smile:

Had a couple of positive comments re our tappers from other tappers coming over to buy eggs. They all have a nosy round the trees and say the tapping looks very neat.

Because of poor production and low price we've agreed to go 50/50 for now. Other owners we talk to are doing the same.

# Good that the tappers are neat.

# It is traditional that the first tap and sale, ie opening of the trees, every season is a 50/50 split. There is more work involved. After that, it should go back to 60/40. Up here, if the price drops to below 20 baht per kg, ie 19.90 baht per kg, the split becomes 55/45. As soon as it goes over 20, ie 20.10baht per kg, it reverts back to 60/40.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

# Good that the tappers are neat.

# It is traditional that the first tap and sale, ie opening of the trees, every season is a 50/50 split. There is more work involved. After that, it should go back to 60/40. Up here, if the price drops to below 20 baht per kg, ie 19.90 baht per kg, the split becomes 55/45. As soon as it goes over 20, ie 20.10baht per kg, it reverts back to 60/40.

Cheers for the heads-up

• 2 weeks later...

Price at auction yesterday was 25 something baht per kg for cup. We had no sale due to low output due to incessant rains this past fortnight. One land parcel managed 3 taps, one parcel managed 2 taps in 14 days. We get a fortnight like this most seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sold cup at auction yesterday, 25.33 baht per kg.

Pi$$ poor production for 4 weeks output.

Same here, crap. What you reckon to Govt cutting down 3.55 million rai of rubber on encroached forest/illegal sor por kor?

22B/kg today, . Production up by around 40kg.

Nice to hear the Chairman of the Thai Rubber Producers telling the General to get his act together on rubber price.

His response seems to be blame the Southern farmers. The tool obviously hasn't heard of market forces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mosha said:

His response seems to be blame the Southern farmers. The tool obviously hasn't heard of market forces.

Yabbut, the Southern farmers were one of the groups of people inc BKK hiso's etc who wanted him, Suthep et al in...

Oh the irony...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mosha said:

Just shown on TV, up north somewhere. Army confiscating what looked like park land, the trees were big.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Travelled down to Trat yesterday. Quite a few wagons and pick-ups loaded with felled rubber tree.

Excellent news boys. Keep it coming.

News like this makes up (sort of) for the 250,000 tons coming out of Ivory Coast or wherever in the first 6 months of this year.

Excellent news boys. Keep it coming.
News like this makes up (sort of) for the 250,000 tons coming out of Ivory Coast or wherever in the first 6 months of this year.

So sorry to say it but dont get excited. For the whole 7 years weve been dow here in bangsaphan. Not a day goes by when truck are not seen going past loaded with yang wood. South has so much yang,they r constantly cuting old trees and planting new trees. It may appear there is a change of farming down here but that will never happen . Its all they know for over 100 years.
This month we have only tapped 6 times. Soooooo much rain. 50 bart per kilo. Hav 1 17 rai for sale here of good trees for sale for 1.3 million bart. What does that tell you? Meanwhile coconuts are 20 bart each. Sheeeeesh

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cobbler said:

So sorry to say it but dont get excited. For the whole 7 years weve been dow here in bangsaphan. Not a day goes by when truck are not seen going past loaded with yang wood. South has so much yang,they r constantly cuting old trees and planting new trees. It may appear there is a change of farming down here but that will never happen . Its all they know for over 100 years.
This month we have only tapped 6 times. Soooooo much rain. 50 bart per kilo. Hav 1 17 rai for sale here of good trees for sale for 1.3 million bart. What does that tell you? Meanwhile coconuts are 20 bart each. Sheeeeesh

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok, but all the felled rubber I saw was youngish growth.

• Like 2