Rubber Trees

the question should be "what the hell is the govt doing buying rubber (or rice or any other commodity) ??! Other than screw up the sort of natural sort of free market, skew the near and medium term prices, and lie about it to the stupid people, what good does it do? Yea, it's how they make their money....

Arrange into a sensible order

clue haven't they a got

Slight change of topic... theft, some of the tricks, and detection methods. No, we have not as far as I can tell been subject to loss but always good to be aware and wary. What are some of the things you've caught workers doing?

Some of you, especially the Brits, may be interested to know that it was the Brits that first brought rubber to Asia. In 1876, Sir Henry Wickham took 70,000 rubber seeds from Brazil to Kew Gardens in England (for which he was paid GBP740). About 2,800 of those seeds germinated and then some of these seedlings were shipped to several countries in the British Empire, including Malaysia and Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in Asia. That was the start of the Asian rubber industry - and the end of the Brazilian rubber industry!

The first rubber tree to allegedly be planted in Thailand is still alive. Can't remember where, but some one with good net can probably find it. Jim

http://www.cnngo.com...iang-mai-890990

It doesn't mention the age of them though.

There is one in Malaysia, that was one of the original seeds broughy from Brazil in 1877

Edited by Mosha

the question should be "what the hell is the govt doing buying rubber (or rice or any other commodity) ??! Other than screw up the sort of natural sort of free market, skew the near and medium term prices, and lie about it to the stupid people, what good does it do? Yea, it's how they make their money....

Another question.What happened to the billions from IMF to be given to farmers for 100 per kilo.We didn't see any thing like that type of price down here.Thai is so lucky to have such great honest gov.Saw in a Thai newspaper PM was very upset coz everybody blaming her for everything.Said she not sure she can take it and may have to walk out from the job.English translation of this means''Well I got a very good share of 800billion IMF money in my pocket.Now it's getting very hot .The flood is going to give me problems now coz people will obviously see I didn't put much into that.So unless I want to join my brother in another country I better get out.''Nothing left to take here anyhow Edited by cobbler

Slight change of topic... theft, some of the tricks, and detection methods. No, we have not as far as I can tell been subject to loss but always good to be aware and wary. What are some of the things you've caught workers doing?

Best one I saw A Issan worker went into partnership with a neighouring Issan Tapper on joining farms.Hiding the yang on each farm.Selling it and sharing the money.They were very organized .Calling each other when the other owner would show up.

Guys living in the Malay Peninsula. the storm will be crossing us over the next few days. Looking at the sky you wouldn't believe it. Lots of blue and nice fluffy white clouds, Batten down the hatches Cobbler and the others down here. Getting the buckets ready, the bloody roof leaks. :P

Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia -- the world's three largest rubber producing nations -- put into effect a plan to bolster natural rubber pricesicon1.png by withholding exports and cutting production on Monday. The plan, announced back on August 16th by the three countries that comprise the International Tripartite Rubber Council (ITRC), calls for a 300,000 ton reduction in exports during 2012 and 2013 and a 150,000 ton production cut to be implemented by accelerating a rubber tree replanting program. The three ITRC members make up about 70% of world natural rubber production.

Benchmark rubber prices on the Tokyo Commodity Exchange (Tocom) closed at ¥273.20/kilogram ($3502/metric ton), up 33% from the mid-August low when the ITRC plan was announced. Rubber trades in Tokyo as ribbed smoked sheet #3 (RSS3), a semi-processed rubber product that is mostly used to make tires. According to a report by the International Rubber Study Group cited by Bloomberg, natural rubber production will reach 11.3 million tons in 2012, exceeding anticipated demand of 11.2 million tons. Production is expected to increase to 11.8 million tons in 2013 but this estimate does not include the production cuts that will be implemented starting at the end of the current harvest in February 2013.

In addition to the ITRC plan to withhold exports and to cut production, Tocom reported that its rubber stockpiles fell to a 13 month low of 3,122 metric tons as of September 20th, the latest data available, Bloomberg reported.

Once again, the economic slowdown in China is seen as the culprit. Weaker exports due to slack demand in the U.S. and Europe have reduced demand for new trucks and truck tires in China. Slower truck sales in the U.S. and Europe and sluggish investment in mining and construction equipment globally has also reduced the growth in demand for natural rubber used in tires.

An average medium- to heavy-duty truck tire will use up to 51 pounds of natural rubber according to Jeremie Capron, an analyst at CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets, cited by Bloomberg. A passenger caricon1.png tire will use about 3.5 pounds of natural rubber.

Although natural rubber prices are up only slightly year-on-year, the bear market that persisted for most of 2012 now seems to be over. Natural rubber demand is not expected to resume higher growth until 2013 but that is largely dependent upon demand for truck tires in China

• Like 1

High James ,Very good post.Are they planning to Replant other trees instead of rubber trees to cut production of rubber?Because it's impossible they want to replant rubber trees to cut the production of rubber.LOL

Edited by cobbler

Erm didn't one idiot already make an agreement with China at 100 Baht/kg

Um er Duh Yep.and another idiot promissed 100 per kilo ,and we haven't seen either of them.Thailand thanks the governing people sooooooo much for there honesty .clap2.gif Well donecheesy.gif

High James ,Very good post.Are they planning to Replant other trees instead of rubber trees to cut production of rubber?Because it's impossible they want to replant rubber trees to cut the production of rubber.LOL

Think re planting rubber is the game, world is in a slump at the moment. When the next boom comes and it will, people will want more new cars. Labor prices will dictate where the rubber comes from. Jim
  • Like 1

Think re planting rubber is the game, world is in a slump at the moment. When the next boom comes and it will, people will want more new cars. Labor prices will dictate where the rubber comes from. Jim

Folks,

I went into planting rubber 8 yrs. ago by looking at it as a long term investment. I figured my net profits out and I am still within my "plan". Of course there will be ups and downs! What agri business doesn't have them. It's a slump that we will have to live with this year.... Next year better??? Time will tell. Have patience and don't realize your only income by just rubber. (for now) Wait til many of the major oil fields start shutting down / running out / going dry.... The good ol' US (I'm an American working in the oil & gas industry BTW) will start the extreme rape of it's massive basins it has in the continental US, and guess what the price of oil will be??? Just saying is all.....

• Like 1

We recently got a small 11 rai block with about 100 trees that have died which I want to replace with RRim 3001. Today the wife said she won't put them in as the rainy season is finished and wants to wait until after April next year. We have a big dam full of water for irrigation and have to fertilize all the trees anyway, I reckon that we would just lose another 6 months growing by doing that and want them in this week.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Greg

Greg,

We planted parts of our land "late in the season" too. The long time locals in the area tell us that we get enough rain throughout the year that we can plant just about any time. We still have more land to plant but took a break until next year. The trees we did plant late seem to be doing pretty well.

I would say that you could pull it off as long as you can make sure they get watered regularly. Convincing the wife is another story.. :)

Greg,

We planted parts of our land "late in the season" too. The long time locals in the area tell us that we get enough rain throughout the year that we can plant just about any time. We still have more land to plant but took a break until next year. The trees we did plant late seem to be doing pretty well.

I would say that you could pull it off as long as you can make sure they get watered regularly. Convincing the wife is another story.. smile.png

That's what I was thinking. In Loei we get pretty consistent rains right through and we have a deep 1 rai dam full at the moment. The wife just rang me to say she talked to her brother who has never done rubber or any research on it and he said it it not too late so I could be heading for a win for once. Time will tell. TIT

Greg

We recently got a small 11 rai block with about 100 trees that have died which I want to replace with RRim 3001. Today the wife said she won't put them in as the rainy season is finished and wants to wait until after April next year. We have a big dam full of water for irrigation and have to fertilize all the trees anyway, I reckon that we would just lose another 6 months growing by doing that and want them in this week.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Greg

! thing to think of before planting replacement trees is this.How old are the trees still alive in the farm.If they are 3 or more years old ,don't bother replaceing the dead ones ,because the canopy will close over the top of the new trees and they will never be any good anyway.Unless they are all in 1 area then you should be ok.If scattered throughout the farm well don't bother.Also if they are scattered around the farm ,the trees next to the dead ones will grow better and produce more yang ,so don't worry too much.

By the way ,it may be wise to listen to locals about when to pplant trees,unless you or somebody is prepared to water the new trees

Just my oppinion

Cheers Cobbler

• Like 1

Re: Cobblers post #1313

Cobbler pretty much nailed it.... If you have the people to do the watering or the funds to set up drip feed watering system, then go for it. We planted during the hot / dry season, set up a drip feed system, shaded the trees with inter-crops, and they grew fine.

• Like 1

My wife has just been talking with a friend nearby who has just sold his KeeYang at local 'auction' near Highway 24 in Surin - like your 'auction, Khonitoy (#1260), except in south Isaan not north.

Price got - B46 per kilo - so does appear that these 'auctions' do fetch the higher prices on the whole judging by a couple of prices quoted over the last week or 2.

May they carry on going up!!

Edited by AA1

Saw a long range weather thing today on TV.Saib Changmai will have a bit of snow this year,So that cool weather should make the yang flow.

OFF topic sold more long beans today and are building more frames.More beer moneysmile.png

Ken,

my missus picked extra early this morning. Brother delivered to auction 6.00am ! We were queue number 46 ! Will post later on the price once her brother delivers his 2 weeks production in the afternoon.

Mike.

Mike

We were getting ready to go early this morning, one tapper up early and had his bags lined up. The other tapper came by and said " OH were we selling TODAY?"

Had to wait for him and got to delivery point at 7:30am. Got number 80, so that's not too bad. Be over there about noon tomorrow

Ken