Rubber Trees

Thanks for the info Tapping! I'd really like to try something like these because for the past 2 years, the output has been affected by the rain way too often.

You're welcome Scotbeve, they send samples free to try with english manuals. if you are Thai speaking or else your family can contact them directly on facebook just search Tapping Shade and you'll find their page, if not you can pm me for help. Cheers

Cheers again, yep, found the site no probs and sent the info off to our manager for his perusal.

Just curious as to how much these are because I noticed other products from India and maybe elsewhere for rain protection.

Greg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Tapping! I'd really like to try something like these because for the past 2 years, the output has been affected by the rain way too often.

You're welcome Scotbeve, they send samples free to try with english manuals. if you are Thai speaking or else your family can contact them directly on facebook just search Tapping Shade and you'll find their page, if not you can pm me for help. Cheers

Cheers again, yep, found the site no probs and sent the info off to our manager for his perusal.

Just curious as to how much these are because I noticed other products from India and maybe elsewhere for rain protection.

Greg

Me too Greg, a local g\hardware place had something similar at almost 200 Baht each. We decided to suffer. I've not seen anyone in La-Un using anything

• Like 2

Mosha posted<<<<Me too Greg, a local g\hardware place had something similar at almost 200 Baht each. We decided to suffer. I've not seen anyone in La-Un using anything>>>>

Guys,

It seems to be a general consensus that most plantation owners either/and/or: 1) don't want to spend the extra cash 2.) think that it's an extra chore 3.) think that the extra time tapping will decrease productivity 4.) find that it's "in the way" of tapping

• Like 2

1 and 4, yep you are correct. 2 and 3, no, not a problem. Tapping 2400 trees with a 200 baht rainguard is getting on for half a mil, that's my annual net profit wiped out. 5000 trees would be a cool mil. Sorry, no way. The 70 baht rainguards i've seen locally are crap, and would not work effectively.. Ya just gotta tap when ya can in the rainy season, mornings, evenings, anytime to keep that tree in synch.

Mike.

• Like 2

1 and 4, yep you are correct. 2 and 3, no, not a problem. Tapping 2400 trees with a 200 baht rainguard is getting on for half a mil, that's my annual net profit wiped out. 5000 trees would be a cool mil. Sorry, no way. The 70 baht rainguards i've seen locally are crap, and would not work effectively.. Ya just gotta tap when ya can in the rainy season, mornings, evenings, anytime to keep that tree in synch.

Mike.

I can see where you are coming from, but I also believe that with some shared ingenuity and a little bit of money we should be able to come up with an idea that will do the same for a lot less money. I'll take time, but should be worth it! Wim

• Like 1

I think if the rubber price is higher, it will be worth buying 200 baht rain guard. The way the price is it will be less incentive for now.

Hello everybody,

A reply to all questions regarding price, we bought them for 50 BT each including adhesive and staples, so complete set per tree was 50 BT.

They send out sample to try for free, you can contact them through their site. Google Tapping Shade.

These shade are indeed from India, they are the distributors in Thailand.

Cheers.

Ps. The adhesive is what got us really interested, because its totally free of chemicals specially composed for the rainguards which is a really good thing for the tree and we are using them for years, no mold at all and roughly calculated 20 tapping days during rain, which in normal case wouldn't be possible and we got our investment back. check their videos on facebook, its in Thai though...

Edited by TappingShade
  • Like 1

Thanks Tapping. given how our rainy season is almost done on this side of the peninsula. This may be one to reconsider in March.

edit no idea what happened to my font change

Edited by Mosha

I checked out the tapping Shades website. IF they are 50 baht per set, that is a much better price. They sure as hell beat the naff looking contraptions i've seen prior. The reason they will keep the tapping panel dry is the bitumen seal, nothing else uses this. Still not sure if they will still get in the way, a bit. However, still not forking out on them; i checked my books, up here in the NE, and also in the NW, we have a much different climate Nov - Feb than the South, that is when it is very cool night time, and our production nearly doubles. Just down to lack of humidity and cool temperatures which you do not get in the South. Even with constant tapping in our rainy season, we would not see those production levels. So, no, sticking as we are for the present moment. Plus, next Oct, we hope to open 80% of our final untapped 26 rai, that will be about 4200 trees from about 4900 total. 4200 x 50 baht = 210,000 baht. Ouch!

Mike.

• Like 1

# Missus just had a look at the Tapping Shades website. Shades being the correct wording here, saying she's heard that the panel does not get enough sunlight and hence the tapping panel and tree are more susceptible to disease. Possible.

# Just checked the GRM (Global Rubber Markets) website - more doom and gloom. Looks like Kee Yang producers will be lucky to see 40 baht per kg in the next month or two. Sheet staying below 80 per kg. Never mind, into town today to stock up on Chang beer. Raining heavily today, may get pissed this afternoon. &lt;deleted&gt;.

• Like 1

note on the B2500 arai from government.

had the first inspection yesterday in are area (udon thani province) looked at the trees (ruff count) and asked how many rai. 3 gov guys in a car ect.... the man said that the trees need to have been working for at least 3 months, not smaller then 40cm and no problem with different land titles.

in due course another set of fellas will come out and check again. then maybe some money?

we registered with the local amper/village head man just over a month ago.

what i thought was interesting was that the guys seem to think this sort payout would be happing next year too.

we did not make the grade for the first check, the trees have only been taped for 2 or 3 weeks....... i laughted but my wife did not......

• Like 2

had the first inspection yesterday in are area (udon thani province) looked at the trees (ruff count) and asked how many rai. 3 gov guys in a car ect.... the man said that the trees need to have been working for at least 3 months, not smaller then 40cm and no problem with different land titles.

in due course another set of fellas will come out and check again. then maybe some money?

what i thought was interesting was that the guys seem to think this sort payout would be happing next year too.

we did not make the grade for the first check, the trees have only been taped for 2 or 3 weeks....... i laughted but my wife did not......

Strange.... we only had a quick look over by the amphur guy... Approved and now waiting on the money..... 74 rai worth..... The others are not of age yet.

I think it's the subsidy from the government, about to be taken back as a tax.

Mosha,

I also think that some areas and/or amphurs with the people running it are trying to do a dirty.... Where we are there's was none of this talk of tax (at the TAO level).

We just got a new Amphur. 1st thing he did was get the Puy Yais gathering info on how much land and how much the people make. Then out he comes with 500 Baht/rai per year for Chanote with 7 year old runner on. Not much Chanote in this Amphoe 555, it's nearly all hills

Sold yesterday at auction, kee yang Udon, 39.68 baht per kg, 68 satang up on a fortnight ago. Interesting, the missus reckons there are never less than 10 bidders lately, sometimes 12-13, now that prices are lower. When i delivered myself at the beginning of the year, when prices were much higher, there were sometimes only 4-5 bidders. Still need some wedge though, winning bid 2 weeks ago needed in excess of 6 mil cash for the payout, and that's a small local auction.

Mike.

Strange.... we only had a quick look over by the amphur guy... Approved and now waiting on the money..... 74 rai worth..... The others are not of age yet.

My wife submitted her paperwork to the Amphur and was told it is only upto 25 rai per household. So some thai families that are all on one blue book for one reason or another will not all get paid out. This is in Surat thani. Obviously not all Amphurs are operating the same rules if you have had 74 rai approved.

My wife submitted her paperwork to the Amphur and was told it is only upto 25 rai per household. So some thai families that are all on one blue book for one reason or another will not all get paid out. This is in Surat thani. Obviously not all Amphurs are operating the same rules if you have had 74 rai approved.

Surat,

You said the trick just in your reply to me. Yes, 74 rai... But the other members of the family are "renting" our land.... Yep, we have "rental agreements" and some "receipts" as well as some account books. Where there is a will..... 2,520 baht/rai... nice :)

• Like 1

Re; my previous post, got the figures wrong, it was 16 mil cash to pay out over 41,000 kgs. !!

Re; govnt fertilizer subsidy, my wife is having her land sorted today. Will let you know how we get on. We are applying for 38 rai from 64. Can confirm it is 25 rai per person/family, hence MIL, BIL all involved to split it into 5/23/10.

Mike.

Got awarded 25 rai fertilizer rebate from 38 we applied for. Paid out directly into the bank (must be govnt agri/farmers bank account ONLY) in 3 working days. 63k better than nothing. Most people who applied for more, still only got 25 rai allocated due to paperwork/name problems. One family with a LOT of land got a lot of rai awarded, BIG payout. Some people were applying and getting grants for trees 5 years old and as fat as my missus' fore arm (small!!), with just 4-5 taps. Different applications for different Ampurs i think. &lt;deleted&gt;.

Mike.

Got awarded 25 rai fertilizer rebate from 38 we applied for. Paid out directly into the bank (must be govnt agri/farmers bank account ONLY) in 3 working days. 63k better than nothing. Most people who applied for more, still only got 25 rai allocated due to paperwork/name problems. One family with a LOT of land got a lot of rai awarded, BIG payout. Some people were applying and getting grants for trees 5 years old and as fat as my missus' fore arm (small!!), with just 4-5 taps. Different applications for different Ampurs i think. &lt;deleted&gt;.

Mike.

Mike, It certainly looks like it doesn't it. Fang, Mae Ai, and Chai Prakarn amphurs are pretty much following the rules (sort of....). It is indeed 25 rai, deffo a fertilizer "rebate", 2520/rai, But between the 3 amphurs there is some "differences" as to the age/size of the trees, but being tapped 3 or 4 times seems to do the trick in all 3 districts..... Kind of easy for us as s-i-law is the regional prez of our rubber co-op and her husband is a retired kaset official and has all his mates in the right places..... deffo different strokes for different folks.....

Mike.

Hi Mike

so are you saying you have actually got the money in the bank? There doesnt seem to be much action regarding my wifes application, no contact, no inspection of trees or land. But i guess there are a lot of applications to process, including the bogus ones!

Has anyone else been paid out yet?

Surat,

funny you should mention this. My missus should have been paid out today. Village head man announcing stuff over the tannoy one km away, so she goes and has a nosey, All the people who've applied with small 4-5 year old trees and 4-5 taps are going to be knocked back, because there have been too many applications for not enough money to go around. My missus has been confirmed as a correct applicant (big trees - 3rd season cutting), and told to go away and wait till friday. All other "incorrect" applicants were told to stay and hang around and have their applications re-assessed. Her trees were inspected, as all others were. People from her village 10kms away have already been paid out. Will let people know WHEN she has the money in the bank.

Mike.