Rubber Trees

Hey guys and gals

Something totally different. Who knows where you can get a decent ATV (quad) bike for the farm. It will save me from having to buy a 4x4. we are rural enough not to have to worry about road access, but during the rainy season we only have tractor access (egress more important actually).

Drive around, you will find them new at m/c dealers, made in China. Not cheap though, and not 4 wheel drive, don't know how good they are. Otherwise check out Baht And Sold for proper, larger ATVs inc 4 wheel drive. Again, not cheap. I have seen older 4x4 Ford Rangers etc going for as little as 200k.

Mike.

Drive around, you will find them new at m/c dealers, made in China. Not cheap though, and not 4 wheel drive, don't know how good they are. Otherwise check out Baht And Sold for proper, larger ATVs inc 4 wheel drive. Again, not cheap. I have seen older 4x4 Ford Rangers etc going for as little as 200k.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I saw a 2009 Yamaha 700 (Grizzly) advertised for US$5300, but haven't had a reply from the "owner". I reckon these could be nice machines to collect the rubber and assist during fertilising etc. As I am not (yet) living in Thailand full time I am more relient on "my colleagues" like your self. Wim

# 36.86 baht per kg yesterday, kee yang, at auction, Udon province. Worst price we've ever seen in 3 seasons tapping.

# Best fortnight's production figures we've ever got in 3 seasons - 1311 kgs, kee yang, 2400 trees, 8-9 years old. Will only get better as we head towards Jan and even cooler weather. Hope prices pick up a bit.

# Confirmation of the missus getting her 63k for 25 rai from the govnt fertilizer subsidy in her bank yesterday. Confirmed.

Mike.

# 36.86 baht per kg yesterday, kee yang, at auction, Udon province. Worst price we've ever seen in 3 seasons tapping.

# Best fortnight's production figures

we've ever got in 3 seasons - 1311 kgs, kee yang, 2400 trees, 8-9 years old. Will only get better as we head towards Jan and even cooler weather. Hope prices pick up a bit.

# Confirmation of the missus getting her 63k for 25 rai from the govnt fertilizer subsidy in her bank yesterday. Confirmed.

Mike.

Mae Ai, Fang, and Chai Prakan auctions saw approx. 32 baht max. 3 days ago. Same her Mike, production is good.

Think the 1million people strong demonstrations in bangkok arnt helping much.Since the leader is from south and is a rubber farmer.PM duckling luk does hate the south.She will surely b wanting to punnish th rubber farmers for this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

32 baht at auction - ouch. Round here people were getting 72 baht for sheet this week - double ouch.

yes...not good at all.Cant see it getting any better soon either

32 baht at auction - ouch. Round here people were getting 72 baht for sheet this week - double ouch.

We just got 29 for kee yang from the local buyer. Awful.

By the way:

Does anyone know whether it is legal for a Thai company to own farming land? I was under the impression that it was OK for chanote land but not for Por Tor Bor 5, Nor Sor Sam etc where it has to be in the name of a Thai national, but would like to know definitively. Thanks to anyone that can help.

29 baht is truly a <deleted> price. May have something to do with the Thai Stockmarket well down on friday due to the BKK troubles/amnesty demonstrations. We always prefer a tues-wed auction as the markets have re-opened, a monday auction, like lately, leaves the price open to bad friday stockmarket news. And i never sell on the "gate". If selling on the "gate" try and make a sale on the day of a local auction, or the day after. It does help.

Missus got the deaded phone call she's been waiting for yesterday... Thieving, scamming, slimey handed Corruptionistas want their cut too. 3k from their 63k to the Poo Yai Ban and Obor Tor's "special fund" for helping everybody in the village get their 63k. Still, 60k is better than a kick in the teeth, and... ya gotta keep in with your local Village Headman... till the next election anyway...

Missus got the deaded phone call she's been waiting for yesterday... Thieving, scamming, slimey handed Corruptionistas want their cut too. 3k from their 63k to the Poo Yai Ban and Obor Tor's "special fund" for helping everybody in the village get their 63k. Still, 60k is better than a kick in the teeth, and... ya gotta keep in with your local Village Headman... till the next election anyway...

Look at the bright side mate.He will pay you 500 bart to vote for him next election.So you will only be down 2500 bart then 555

• Like 1

Is this in regards to the 2520 B subsidy???? We have just signed the last bit of papers for 84 rai.... Not shabby, we'll get the whole 1.4 million over the next 7 or 8 months.!!!! Oh.... and nobody else gets a piece of that.

Very well done to get 84 rai. Round here it's 25 rai PER FAMILY, the land paperwork is thoroughly checked, my missus applied for 38 rai we've actually cut for 3 seasons now, but could not scam the extra 13. Some people round here had 20, opened another 5 quickly, and got the full 25. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched - or better put, wait at least a couple of months of the cash in the bank before you say nobody will get a piece of that.

Mike.

Very well done to get 84 rai. Round here it's 25 rai PER FAMILY, the land paperwork is thoroughly checked, my missus applied for 38 rai we've actually cut for 3 seasons now, but could not scam the extra 13. Some people round here had 20, opened another 5 quickly, and got the full 25. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched - or better put, wait at least a couple of months of the cash in the bank before you say nobody will get a piece of that.

Mike.

Hmmmmm.... maybe I should go into more detail here.... 5 or 6 relatives "leasing" the land (we have rental agreements in place with receipts) and (actually true) tapping (for us), they all have DIFFERENT house registrations, and they all are registered members of TGS Bank (Taw Gaw Saw) - registered as farmers. They are each getting 1% of the subsidy money. We'll get this money - no, I'm not being smug.... BTW - these rubber plantations of ours were opened at the proper year and girth. 7.5 yrs. old / 50cm @ 1.5m from ground mark. Lucky that we had re-opened and opened the newer ones a couple of weeks before the (very informal) inspection.... And finally, the latest rubber prices in our 3 district area yesterday (at auction) was 32 +/kg. for wet kee yang.

Is this in regards to the 2520 B subsidy???? We have just signed the last bit of papers for 84 rai.... Not shabby, we'll get the whole 1.4 million over the next 7 or 8 months.!!!! Oh.... and nobody else gets a piece of that.

Maths not my strongest subject at school, bit better later at tech college but where do you get 1.4 mil from?

2520 x 84 = 211,680.

Maths not my strongest subject at school, bit better later at tech college but where do you get 1.4 mil from?

2520 x 84 = 211,680.

x 7 months Mike... Did you not know this? This subsidy is for 7 months... Monthly.....

Afraid not Scot. The subsidy IS for the next 7 months, correct, but is a one-off fertilizer payment per rai of 2520 baht for that period. Otherwise everyone getting 63k per 25 rai per month would be laughing all the way to the bank. Would bankrupt the country quicker than the rice scam/subsidy. Doubt there will be another one after this period, unless rubber prices slide further. 2 bags per rai is a couple of grand ish per year, not per month. Still 211k is not to be sneezed at.

Mike.

• Like 1

I have been waiting for someone to correct some of the mis information on the fertilizer for rubber tree payment plan. Best of luck in getting a 100% of the government payment, when it goes thru someone's bank accxount.

When you take into account the quality of fertilizer being sold in Thailand, retail prices, who is importing and from where, then throw in the government sponerded price of 100 baht/kilo for sheet rubber, amount in storage, shelf life of same, its not any more rosey than the rest of the agriculature future. The 'live off the land' as proposed in Thailand, also includes keep them on the farm, poorly educated, and dependent on what will be given to them for their support.

My missus had 25 (rai) x 2520 = 63,000, the full amount entitled to her, put in her bank last week. Confirmed. Agree the future of rubber does not look that great, the main problem being a horrendous future oversupply. There are thousands of acres planted in the last 2-3 years still to come on stream in NE Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and India. Worrying.

Back to the 2520 baht per rai fertilizer subsidy and Scot's figures;

25 rai (per family) = 10 acres, 63k baht = approx $2k. Per 10 acres? Per month? S#hit, this would be worldwide news, even European EEC subsidised farmers would be jealous! And the southern rubber farmer protesters would not still be complaining. 63k x 7 months = 441.000 baht, more money than most Thais earn off their 25 rai. It would just be daft.

Afraid not Scot. The subsidy IS for the next 7 months, correct, but is a one-off fertilizer payment per rai of 2520 baht for that period. Otherwise everyone getting 63k per 25 rai per month would be laughing all the way to the bank. Would bankrupt the country quicker than the rice scam/subsidy. Doubt there will be another one after this period, unless rubber prices slide further. 2 bags per rai is a couple of grand ish per year, not per month. Still 211k is not to be sneezed at.

Mike.

Yep.... you're right Mike.... d_mn.... sounded too good to be true.... Both my missus and myself were slack on finding this out previously.... Still, it does pay for fertilizer costs and a local holiday trip or 3.

Thankyou. Finally. Bit obvious really, the scheme (not scam) does what it says on the tin. And a bit more besides. If you're tapping good trees at +7 years old, that land wants a bag of fertilizer per rai per session. So 25 rai wants approx 50 bags per year which is about 45-55k depending on type and brand name. Most Thais don't put this amount in, nowhere near, so for lots it's probably a new phone or motorbike. I've spent on average 42-45k per session, ie 85-90k a year on fertilizer for the last 2 years on 64 rai (38 tapping).

Told my missus what you said about monthly payments, she laughed, and said if that was the case, she'd buy me my 08 model 1050 Triumph Speed Triple for 520k in BKK that i've been hankering after.

Mike.

Thankyou. Finally. Bit obvious really, the scheme (not scam) does what it says on the tin. And a bit more besides. If you're tapping good trees at +7 years old, that land wants a bag of fertilizer per rai per session. So 25 rai wants approx 50 bags per year which is about 45-55k depending on type and brand name. Most Thais don't put this amount in, nowhere near, so for lots it's probably a new phone or motorbike. I've spent on average 42-45k per session, ie 85-90k a year on fertilizer for the last 2 years on 64 rai (38 tapping).

Told my missus what you said about monthly payments, she laughed, and said if that was the case, she'd buy me my 08 model 1050 Triumph Speed Triple for 520k in BKK that i've been hankering after.

Mike.

Yup.... we're about 180 K + / year in fertilizer - oh well.... And yes, I'm still subsidizing with my "day" job.... more than 11 assets on the market including some of those rubber plantations. Retirement kind of soon...

Worst price in 3 years of tapping. 35.80 baht per kg, kee yang, yesterday at auction, Udon province. production down too, due to unusual hot weather for this time of year, and not cooling down at nights with lots of cloud cover.

Just had a look at my books, first season of tapping 3 years ago, my cutters had tapped 6000 odd kgs, but had made 12,000 baht MORE money up to yesterday, this season so far they have tapped 10,000 odd kgs, 12k LESS money.