Rubber Trees

• 3 weeks later...

well just had our last pay day, trees are almost bare of leaves. just gotta work out what we are gonna do with all the millions of baht from the last few months of tapping!whistling.gif last price was 33.4 on wet cup.

on a side note anyone that is thinking of getting into rubber and making loads of easy money, make sure that you plant a lot of land and have a large budget for weeding.

with a bit of the luck the price might go up by the time we cut again but I will not hold my breath.biggrin.png

• Like 2

well just had our last pay day, trees are almost bare of leaves. just gotta work out what we are gonna do with all the millions of baht from the last few months of tapping!whistling.gif last price was 33.4 on wet cup.

on a side note anyone that is thinking of getting into rubber and making loads of easy money, make sure that you plant a lot of land and have a large budget for weeding.

with a bit of the luck the price might go up by the time we cut again but I will not hold my breath.biggrin.png

We're in our last week I think. As to price, I think we will have to live with these prices now. Ghanaian rubber will be producing this year.

Real dry in our area now, no rain in about 2 months I figure. The new trees are suffering and I am going to have to get an irrigation crew going soon if I don't want to start loosing trees. The older trees (approx 3 years) seem to be doing fine, the water table is quite high on our farms so maybe they have reached down to it. Pretty much all the brown leaves are down now and trees are budding like mad.

• Like 2

Yo ! Back again, after being told i'm a very naughty boy by the moderators for not being subtle enough on a subject we are not meant to discuss in this country, and banned for 30 days.

Anyway, 32 baht per kg, kee yang at auction yesterday, Udon. We stopped tapping on monday for this season, start again in 6 - weeks.

thaiguzzi. Welcome back.

Lucky you hoping to just have 36 weeks break before you start tapping again. We are down in Surin and when I chatted with my wife last night she is not expecting to start tapping for at least 3 months!! Maybe this is because of her experience last year when we had a bad drought year which hammered the section of the trees which are being cut at present so they suffered badly badly and she had to wait 4 months before beginning. This delay gave the least affected trees (about 3/4s) more time to rebuild their strength and the other 1/4 were given a year's rest to fully recover. In the end only about half a dozen were killed so could have been a lot worse.

Interestingly 12 rai of rubber we have adjoining the above, didn't suffer at all. They were planted early July 2008 on ex sugar land and have grown very well. When I measured their girth at 1+ metre height in early October last year they were averaging mid 40s cms. As we were talking about rubber, last night I asked her if she was thinking of starting to tap them next year as by then they would have had time to grow more since I measured them. She being Thai, I was amazed when she said "No, I want most of the trees over 50 cms. before I start them"!!! Especially as she knew that when the first tapping started on the farm, which it did 18 months ago, the farm paid for all fertilizer and other costs NOT me! Living in Thailand is always full of surprises.

Thank goodness we are in rubber and not rice although it would be very nice is the price for rubber was higher next season. Some hope!!!!

Edited by AA1

Yo ! Back again, after being told i'm a very naughty boy by the moderators for not being subtle enough on a subject we are not meant to discuss in this country, and banned for 30 days.

Anyway, 32 baht per kg, kee yang at auction yesterday, Udon. We stopped tapping on monday for this season, start again in 6 - weeks.

Welcome back! Now only jim and the forum is complete again!

It's considered a badge of honour. 555

I am surprised to read about cupped rubber prices in your area. We sit in the very NE close to Bueng Kan. Prices here are significantly lower- mostly under 30 Baht per kilo wet yang during the last months. Yesterday we had to sell for 20 Baht a kilo....

We too have stopped cutting now due to little output from the trees... Cheers Stefan

thaiguzzi. Welcome back.

Lucky you hoping to just have 36 weeks break before you start tapping again. We are down in Surin and when I chatted with my wife last night she is not expecting to start tapping for at least 3 months!! Maybe this is because of her experience last year when we had a bad drought year which hammered the section of the trees which are being cut at present so they suffered badly badly and she had to wait 4 months before beginning. This delay gave the least affected trees (about 3/4s) more time to rebuild their strength and the other 1/4 were given a year's rest to fully recover. In the end only about half a dozen were killed so could have been a lot worse.

Interestingly 12 rai of rubber we have adjoining the above, didn't suffer at all. They were planted early July 2008 on ex sugar land and have grown very well. When I measured their girth at 1+ metre height in early October last year they were averaging mid 40s cms. As we were talking about rubber, last night I asked her if she was thinking of starting to tap them next year as by then they would have had time to grow more since I measured them. She being Thai, I was amazed when she said "No, I want most of the trees over 50 cms. before I start them"!!! Especially as she knew that when the first tapping started on the farm, which it did 18 months ago, the farm paid for all fertilizer and other costs NOT me! Living in Thailand is always full of surprises.

Thank goodness we are in rubber and not rice although it would be very nice is the price for rubber was higher next season. Some hope!!!!

Our leaves are back, so yes 6 weeks. That 36 weeks typo nearly made me spit my coffee. 555

# Thanx guys.

# Not heard much from Jim on the other forum.

# Confirm re-open trees in 6 weeks min, 8 weeks max, they are 10 - 11 years old this year.

# People who can wait till girth is 47-50cms before tapping will be rewarded later with higher production figures.

# Yes, prices have been pretty shitty the last 3 months, but never below 31 baht per kg in this area at auction.

# Still got to finalise this year's books, but it looks like production (ie kgs) was up 50%, but overall money similar to the previous season, due to poor prices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

# Thanx guys.

# Not heard much from Jim on the other forum.

# Confirm re-open trees in 6 weeks min, 8 weeks max, they are 10 - 11 years old this year.

# People who can wait till girth is 47-50cms before tapping will be rewarded later with higher production figures.

# Yes, prices have been pretty shitty the last 3 months, but never below 31 baht per kg in this area at auction.

# Still got to finalise this year's books, but it looks like production (ie kgs) was up 50%, but overall money similar to the previous season, due to poor prices.

Wet kee yang 25 baht

Sold Kee Yang to day at 32 down 9 in 2 weeks.

Hi all

Been a while since I posted, looking at the prices but it looks like overall I am getting hammered with the rest of you, lowest price for the season was 28bt/kg, didn't get any better than 33bt/kg.

last cut this week, leaves falling but reports of a quick return by my head cutter was the only good news for the year, very depressing season. Anyone in the Trat area have better prices?.

regards to all

rubberpatch

Yep. Cos if we sell up, the land (and trees) are worth so much more than i invested, bit by bit, at a time. I think my investment in the farm in total over 9 years stands at just over 3 mil, inc buying/selling tractors etc. Current land price if we sold up would be around 12 mil. I never had 12 mil in one lump sum before. And it's earned 1.5 mil the last 3 seasons.

Our land is on a steep hillside, so I think we would, although sometimes it feels like one step forward and two back. Unlike one bloke I know I had some idea what to expect. He thought he'd have 9 months of tapping. So I gave him the rubber facts of life. 555

Maybe with a new gov will come a bit better price.If yang jumps a bit there will be no denying that this gov was milking the price.

555 had mistrry fire in a gov rice storage area .Hmm sounds like the mistry fire in the gov yang storage area a couple of years ago down south south.

Regards cobbler

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just wondering and hindsight being a wonderful thing. Going back, would you have still planted rubber 10 years ago?

Yep Mosha.... in fact, I would have planted more than I have now.... Irrational reasoning? Too long here? Perhaps both..... But going LARGE quantities would have been the way to go - in hindsight. As in at least 10 times the amount of plantations we have now.

• Like 2

Yeah good price for 10 Rai , we picked up 25 Rai 2 years back for 2,000,000 Baht , half opened up and producing ,the other half opening this year . Hopefully this shows others an average price of what you can pick up Rubber tree's for.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

# 900k for 9 rai of 9 year old trees is a bargain up this neck of the woods, even poor ones.

# thai govnt has got nowt to do with current rubber prices, good or bad. Check out the website "Global Rubber Markets". I look on there about once a fortnight for good or bad news before we sell, generally bad, this year. Rubber is hurting worldwide.

Methinks it's gonna be depressed for a while.... A few choices: 1. produce & stockpile, and pay the workers that are not on the profit-sharing program... 2. sit on it all.....and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.... 3. sell it all but a modest amount (if you can predict the futures of rubber to ascertain the amount of plantations one would want to keep...)

# 900k for 9 rai of 9 year old trees is a bargain up this neck of the woods, even poor ones.

# thai govnt has got nowt to do with current rubber prices, good or bad. Check out the website "Global Rubber Markets". I look on there about once a fortnight for good or bad news before we sell, generally bad, this year. Rubber is hurting worldwide.

Methinks it's gonna be depressed for a while.... A few choices: 1. produce & stockpile, and pay the workers that are not on the profit-sharing program... 2. sit on it all.....and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait.... 3. sell it all but a modest amount (if you can predict the futures of rubber to ascertain the amount of plantations one would want to keep...)

I was talking to my step daughter 2 nights ago. She asked how much kee yang we had sold and how much it was fetching. I then told her that Africa was now growing it. That was a jaw dropping moment for her.

• Like 1

I was talking to my step daughter 2 nights ago. She asked how much kee yang we had sold and how much it was fetching. I then told her that Africa was now growing it. That was a jaw dropping moment for her.

Thank you Mosha for your (sarky) esteemed comment.... Yes, I'm (just) capable enough to read any rubber news.... FYI - selling approx. 75% of our rubber plantations.

Sorry if you thought I was being sarky Scot. I was just commenting on a chat with my step daughter and her reaction. IIRC Jim ised to say 70 baht for mats was his workers thinking it's not worth the effort. I wonder what they think of 60 baht for good quality USS?

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1