Patong Happy Hours

mallmagician

tion Discotheque have an open bar party on Thursdays - Fa

Wow you want people to pay 1000 bht each and then drink spirits and cocktails in a 2 hr period, sounds like a rip off to me!!!!

Maybe you could explain the 'rip off' Kenny?

Maybe rip off is to stronger word as I never frequent these sort of places, I guess the important question is what are the drink prices before 10pm and after midnight? and providing the spirits and cocktails are just that and not watered down then I suppose 1000 bht is okay if you are that way inclined!! just watched a programme about bar tending and it was an eye opener, apparently it all goes on!!

Before 7- 10 pm a Chang costs 50 baht at Factory, good to wash the excellent pizzas down, currently there is a 2 for 1 pizza offer :) After midnight prices are similar to most clubs in Patong, 150-200 for a beer/spirit with mixer and 200-250 for a cocktail. I also saw that program Kenny, it does 'all go on' as you say, but only if the management allow it to. Occasional complaints about 'watered down' drinks are taken very seriously as both venues understand the value, and do in fact maintain a large percentage of 'return' customers.

I understand that you don't frequent, 'these sort of places' Kenny but I bet you love a cold Chang and pizza. Say hello if you see me there. :)

Since a Chivas here in Pattaya at an open beer bar will be 100 Baht or less that still amounts to 10 drinks or one drink every 12 minutes.

Yes, but Seduction isn't an open beer bar.

One has to pay a premium at a disco. By your logic, we'd all just be better staying at home drinking alcohol bought wholesale.

Going out and having a good time isn't always calculable by mathematical formula.

Yes Seduction is a night club with premium DJ's, dancers etc. I dont think it can really be compared to the average patong bar.

I would like to think that people that come on this forum realise that the life you live in Phuket is not the same as the life that most others live in Phuket. For you it is the Land of Snarls where you are being ripped off at every opportunity. For others it is a great tropical island where you can eat for 30 baht, get a whisky and coke for 60baht and do it with lots of great Thai friends and family.

I just hope that people who read your posts dont think you gave an accurate account of life if Phuket.

Loads of great value in Patong, from drinks for 50 baht and street food on some of the back streets for 30-40 baht. Even in Suzy Wongs JD and Joke is only 150 baht which I think is acceptable for an imported "whisky" in one of the better "bars".

I second that :D

If you don't want to pay rip off prices, don't come to Phuket. This whole island is geared towards ripping off the farang.

That's not what he asked though was it. Why are you just giving some random opinion of yours, when nobody wanted it?

You are right. What was I thinking? This is the best value holiday option is South East Asia. There are no scams, rip offs or cartels here on Phuket. Please disregard my previous post. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Your missing the point mate. The bloke is allready coming to Phuket, that decision has been made. He was asking for advice about bars, and your forcing your opinions of the place on him. He didn't ask or want your opinion of Phuket.

People who constantly feel the need to slag Phuket off, despite the fact that it is completely off topic, have serious issues that need addressing. Why don't you write a blog, or start a website or something, could be very therapeutic for you!

Loads of great value in Patong, from drinks for 50 baht and street food on some of the back streets for 30-40 baht. Even in Suzy Wongs JD and Joke is only 150 baht which I think is acceptable for an imported "whisky" in one of the better "bars".

And you think it's really JD they are giving you. :) :) Next thing, you'll be telling me tuk-tuks are a safe and cheap way to get around and see the island. :) :)

Just remember Peterocket, next time you are having a JD or your lamb roast, the average daily wage in Thailand is around 250 baht a day. I have always said that it's the Thai landlords that are making all the money by charging ridiculous rents and key money. This pushes the price of alcohol, food, accommodation etc up and up until the tourist start going elsewhere.

Edited by NamKangMan

Wow you want people to pay 1000 bht each and then drink spirits and cocktails in a 2 hr period, sounds like a rip off to me!!!!

Maybe you could explain the 'rip off' Kenny?

How long is the que at the bar during this 2hr period???? If you have to wait 20mins to be served, then it could be a rip off.

And you think it's really JD they are giving you. :) :) Next thing, you'll be telling me tuk-tuks are a safe and cheap way to get around and see the island. :) :)

Genuine Jack Daniels with mixer is 120 baht in Kangaroo bar, Bangla, and a bottle is 2500 baht included free mixers and ice. If you leave your bottle in the bar and come back next day or next month, it is still real JD :)

Patong certainly is sleazy, but a complete rip off? Nah. Only if you walk around with your eyes shut.

Part of the attraction of Patong is the ridiculous sleazyness ! If you want something else, then Phuket is HUGE. Go and live amongst nature in a Muslim village on the east coast if you want to get away from it all. Kata/Karon is more family orientated as is Naiharn. More upmarket? Head up to Surin and Bangtao areas. Don't complain about Patong if that isn't your cup of tea - just move on !!

If you want a nice quiet drink and watch the Bangla world slouch past, then there is nowhere better than 60baht beer bar up at the top end of Bangla, between Margarita and Pizza Company. There are two bars there that sell beer for 60b.

I drink there, not because i'm a cheap Charlie, but because i like to support places that charge reasonable prices. They can do it at 60b and they are making a profit. Anything significantly above that is just rampant profiteering.

Couple of easy tips for Patong (and anywhere where you are new in town)

First, check the drinks menu. If you don't look, then you could get ripped off.

Second - don't run up a tab. Pay for each drink as you get them. No nasty surprises at the end of the night.

Many of the bars in the sois off Bangla have promotions. Just check around. Double check the prices and pay as you drink.

Keep your eyes open and stay safe.

Remembering all those tips sounds like a relaxing holiday to me. :) :) :) :)

Your missing the point mate. The bloke is allready coming to Phuket, that decision has been made. He was asking for advice about bars, and your forcing your opinions of the place on him. He didn't ask or want your opinion of Phuket.

People who constantly feel the need to slag Phuket off, despite the fact that it is completely off topic, have serious issues that need addressing. Why don't you write a blog, or start a website or something, could be very therapeutic for you!

The fact is, Phuket is the most expensive holiday destination in South East Asia (Singapore aside) Sure, there are beaches here, but, to demand the rents that Thai landlords are asking, well, the beaches, or island as a whole for that matter, can't really justify it, hence, many vacant premises and many bars for sale etc. These high rents push the prices up of alcohol, food, accommodation etc etc. In a way, I guess, we are all getting ripped off by greedy Thai landlords.

I can afford to live here, and in Patong, but when you open your eyes to the Thai way of business, you can see they are "taking the piss." For the record, I don't own a business or property here and have never sent money for "sick buffalo." I''ve traveled all over South East Asia and I think I'm pretty objective when I say that Phuket is just a big money spinner for the 10 families that own the majority of the land on Phuket.

How long is the que at the bar during this 2hr period???? If you have to wait 20mins to be served, then it could be a rip off.

Always plenty of bar staff for the open bar parties, there is also a max. 150 tickets available for each party to keep things manageable.

The fact is, Phuket is the most expensive holiday destination in South East Asia (Singapore aside) Sure, there are beaches here, but, to demand the rents that Thai landlords are asking, well, the beaches, or island as a whole for that matter, can't really justify it, hence, many vacant premises and many bars for sale etc. These high rents push the prices up of alcohol, food, accommodation etc etc. In a way, I guess, we are all getting ripped off by greedy Thai landlords.

I can afford to live here, and in Patong, but when you open your eyes to the Thai way of business, you can see they are "taking the piss." For the record, I don't own a business or property here and have never sent money for "sick buffalo." I''ve traveled all over South East Asia and I think I'm pretty objective when I say that Phuket is just a big money spinner for the 10 families that own the majority of the land on Phuket.

In fact, food, hotel and drinks cost more in Malaysia, as it does in most of the developed parts of South East Asia

but, thats not the topic here, so lets get back to where to enjoy the night in Patong :)

In fact, food, hotel and drinks cost more in Malaysia, as it does in most of the developed parts of South East Asia

but, thats not the topic here, so lets get back to where to enjoy the night in Patong :)

Langkawi in Malaysia is a tax free island. The Malay Government made it that way to attract tourist. It's a beautiful little island and very cheap.

I've been "bashed" a bit in this threat, but that's ok. The OP has said himself, "we have the cash, but don't want to pay the rip off prices."

Does that mean that if we do not go to "Happy Hours" or cheap bars, we are paying too high a price for drinks and therefore we are being ripped off????

You talk about the Thai's "taking the piss." I got the piss taken out of me the other night, literally. I went to a bar on a Soi off Bangla Road. Eventually, I had to go to the toilet. I've always paid 5 baht, everywhere. Well, I put my 5 baht on the table and she pointed to a sign which said 10 baht. A 100% mark-up on performing a bodily function after you consume the very product they are selling to you. :) :)

I wasn't - "pissed off" - :) :) but you can only laugh how they get every baht out of you in Phuket.

Edited by KhunHeineken

You talk about the Thai's "taking the piss." I got the piss taken out of me the other night, literally. I went to a bar on a Soi off Bangla Road. Eventually, I had to go to the toilet. I've always paid 5 baht, everywhere. Well, I put my 5 baht on the table and she pointed to a sign which said 10 baht. A 100% mark-up on performing a bodily function after you consume the very product they are selling to you. :) :)

I wasn't - "pissed off" - :) :) but you can only laugh how they get every baht out of you in Phuket.

If you go somewhere and you feel you are getting Ripped dont go there again and this apply's anywhere on Planet of course some places are more fancy than other's and are more expensive but if you enjoy them that is what it's all about if YOU think it's value for money then it's not a rip of.

OP you will enjoy the Phuket Fantasy show.

I'm also on my way down with the wife for a week or so. Kangaroo bar sounds like a plan.

Good choice and also the 60baht bar is on Bangla rd you wont go far wrong i like the afternoon relaxing quite couple of beers .

If you go somewhere and you feel you are getting Ripped dont go there again and this apply's anywhere on Planet of course some places are more fancy than other's and are more expensive but if you enjoy them that is what it's all about if YOU think it's value for money then it's not a rip of.

There was no problems. It was just a funny interaction with the Thai women sitting at the table outside the toilet. BUT, it does lead to the question, "Is there a toilet Mafia in Phuket?" :) :) :) :)

Langkawi in Malaysia is a tax free island. The Malay Government made it that way to attract tourist. It's a beautiful little island and very cheap.

When are you moving? I have found food and alcohol to be more expensive in some other parts of Thailand than Phuket... I don't like tourists anyway. They come and make the places I live crowded and more expensive!

Hush your mouth! There's no place for that kind of logic around here mate! :D

you can all ways ask for a deal in the bars....if there is 2 couples then thats 4 people. if you find a fun little joint then throw 1000 baht on the bar and ask for 17 bottles of beer for that price. Get them to stick it in a bucket of ice.....Pound 5 back with your mate and the girls can have 3 or 4. And give one to the mamasun

You can even take a few roadies with you...I would suggest getting a honda click with the little drink holders at the front cool.gif

There was no problems. It was just a funny interaction with the Thai women sitting at the table outside the toilet. BUT, it does lead to the question, "Is there a toilet Mafia in Phuket?" :) :) :) :)

No only people making a fuss about 5 bath. Let everybody try to make a living.

No only people making a fuss about 5 bath. Let everybody try to make a living.

There was "no fuss." I'm not Cheap Charlie. It was just funny to be stopped by her because she thought I was trying to get into the toilet "on the cheap" but, I truly had no idea it went up from 5 baht to 10 baht.