Adopting Thai Child

janverbeem

For the past 3 years I support a Thai boy ( luk krueng) who is now 7 years old.The boy is registered solely in his Thai mothers name,who has never been officially married,and he lives with me for the past 3 years but still sees his mother frequently.It's about 6 years ago that he has seen his real father who's whereabouts are unknown.

I'm single,never married,and live in Thailand for more than a decade but am still registered in my home country.I would like to adopt the boy with the biggest purpose in mind that he will get a foreign nationality and in that way some better future opportunity's.

The mother supports the adoption.Is it possible as a single foreigner to adopt a child,or should I forget right away and just keep things as they are,and which is the best way I should follow.

I did some search on the forum already and I think to understand that you can start the adoption process either in Thailand or your homecountry.Does it make a differenve in which country you start the process?

I have heard some story's that if you do it in Thailand it will cost you loads and loads of teamoney with no sucess guaranteed of course..

Someone who can advice me with this.

If you do a local Thai adoption then your country may not recognise this for citizenship purposes - you need to check with your Embassy.

I suspect they will tell you that you must complete a formal adoption, in which case you need to go to the Adoption Centre at the Dept of Social Development & Welfare, 225 Ratchawithi Rd, Bangkok. Take a taxi from Victory Monument skytrain station. You can just walk in during business hours and a social worker will see you and give you the application paperwork. They speak English but it is best to take a Thai-speaker with you to clarify things if needed.

I understand the local adoption process can cost quite a bit if you need to involve a lawyer. However there is no cost for an intercountry adoption through DSDW except for medical, passport and other minor fees for which you will be get receipts.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

As said, it makes a difference, as you want an international adoption.

But in your case, I believe you cannot adopt as under Thai law you must be married in order to adopt.

For more on Thai adoption, look here: http://thailawonline...n/adoption.html

Please explain a little further.Under Thai law I probably can not adopt the child because I'm single.

However I can still apply for an international adoption in my homecountry.Do I understand this correct?

Also I don't understand why it can be costly if I apply for Thai adoption while it will cost next to nothing if I go the intercountry route.After all it still concerns the same Thai child and the same Thai government departments will be involved in the proccess,or not?

Is it so that if I go the intercountry way,my government decides if the adoption of a Thai citizen is accepted while the other way around the Thai government makes the decision?

Thai law requires yout o be marreid in order to adopt.

No, you cannot internationally adopt. An international adoption means that you adopt according to the rules of both Thailand and the law of your home country. Since Thai law doesn't allow it, your home country will automatically not allow it too.

You can search for an English version of the Thai adoption law. It should say something like that a stable marriage is required.

I understand now that without being married there is no chance of adopting the boy.

So is there a way around?

The mother supports that I try to adopt her son.The father is unknown of,and for sure hasn't any interest in his son,and has never knowledged the boy as his son.

What if I claim the boy is my legal son,and the mother supports the claim,and in that way I ask to take custody of the boy and have him registered in my name.

Will they ask for Dna test if the mother supports my claim?

Why don't just marry the mother? That makes you legal guardian of the boy and it's all legal though sly.

You have more of those funny ideas :D

As I said in the OP,I'm single and have nothing to do with the mother who has another boyfriend as far as I know.

As said, it makes a difference, as you want an international adoption.

But in your case, I believe you cannot adopt as under Thai law you must be married in order to adopt.

For more on Thai adoption, look here: http://thailawonline...n/adoption.html

Actually DSDW do occasionally obtain legal exceptions when it is considered to be in the best interests of the child. Both exceptions that I am aware of were granted to single women.

Mario2008 is correct. I went to try to adopt at the government agency in Bangkok. There are no private adoption agencies in Thailand. The first question we were asked was ' are you married' ? We were told 'no marriage, no adoption'. They then informed us how to go about adopting. We never even let them finish telling us as it was so full of BS. We went down the IVF road instead and now have 3 children.

Why don't just marry the mother? That makes you legal guardian of the boy and it's all legal though sly.

Actually, my thought also was to Marry the Mother. It only needs to be a business arrangement.

Marry the Mother, legally adopt the boy, divorce the mother and maintain legal guardianship of the boy.

If there is no birth certificate with the real father on it.....see if you can be entered onto it now and just say you was in rehab for 6 years.

That was actually my question in post #6,my only concern is to know if this is a possibility as I don't want to get caught in this country making false statements.

^ Do I read correct that you are NOT married but were able to adopt 3 children going the IVF route?

Sorry if my post is difficult to understand. Yes I am now married. We married to conform to the adoption rules. On going to apply for adoption we felt that the agency were putting too many obstacles in our way, so we backed out. We then went down the IVF route, which was successful in the two courses we did, resulting in 3 children. There was no question asked about our marital status at the IVF clinic.

Picture of our children

post-92127-0-65266600-1305329942_thumb.j

You have more of those funny ideas :D

As I said in the OP,I'm single and have nothing to do with the mother who has another boyfriend as far as I know.

I know it sounds funny but it's actually the only route in today's world. If you're a woman, no govt or agency would suspect anything but because you're a man, doubts and suspicions play their hands first.

What i have suggested is something that's already going on but it's legal though not all are for adoption. That's why govts are taking longer to issue passports and citizenship or visa to spouse and children cos they want to be sure it's genuine.

Mario2008 is correct. I went to try to adopt at the government agency in Bangkok. There are no private adoption agencies in Thailand. The first question we were asked was ' are you married' ? We were told 'no marriage, no adoption'. They then informed us how to go about adopting. We never even let them finish telling us as it was so full of BS. We went down the IVF road instead and now have 3 children.

It's great that assisted conception was an option for you - congrats!

However having been through the adoption system elsewhere I can tell you the Thai application process and assessment is not nearly as difficult or as onerous as most other countries.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

• 5 weeks later...

If there is no birth certificate with the real father on it.....see if you can be entered onto it now and just say you was in rehab for 6 years.

Just got updated about the birth certificate.

The real father's name is mentioned on the birth certificate but he hasn't signed any papers as he wasn't present at the time the child was registered.

Would it be doable to just go to the amphur and get the name changed in this case,saying that it was an honest mistake?

What I meant is that the mother claims at the Amphur that she thought the other guy was the father but found out later that it was actually me.It is considered that the real father will not show up later.The guy hasn't signed the birth certificate.

What I meant is that the mother claims at the Amphur that she thought the other guy was the father but found out later that it was actually me.It is considered that the real father will not show up later.The guy hasn't signed the birth certificate.

That is what I understood.

But that claim is false and a DNA test will proof that. If the real fahter for some reason suddenly takes an intrest in the child there will be problems and you wil be back at square 1.

That is what I understood.

But that claim is false and a DNA test will proof that. If the real fahter for some reason suddenly takes an intrest in the child there will be problems and you wil be back at square 1.

I know the claim is false but it is the only way to for me to get the boy adopted.It is assumed the father will not take interest later,he is foreigner and married already since with Singaporean lady.He hasn't had any contact with the mother for the past 6 years or so.

The question actually is will they accept the change on the word of he mother or will they demand a DNA test.