Netflix And Hulu

bikerlou47

No success. These sites block IP addresses in Thailand. You need an anonymous surfing tool or proxy service that will spoof a US-based IP address. I haven't tried these because they cost and my connection is too slow for the redirection. Good luck.

Actually, in both cases, it's more an issue of those sites licensing deals for their movie and TV show content only applying within the United States, and not as yet internationally (though Netflix does have plans to expand to Canada and a few other international locales, though Thailand's nowhere on that list).

You can go to the Hulu and Netflix web sites from a regular internet connection in Thailand, and view the sites. They are not "blocked." But you can't actually watch any of the videos. That's where you'll get the advisory about content not being available outside of the U.S.

However, there are any number of methods that a person residing outside the U.S. can use to gain access to Netflix and Hulu content....usually at an added cost of $5 a month or so... Both of those sites have built-in capabilities to adjust to different speed internet connections, though having a 6 or 8 Mbps internet service plan probably is about the lowest you'd want to go, faster obviously being better.

Netflix Now The Largest Single Source of Internet Traffic In North America

sandvine-bandwidth-chart.png

Netflix video streaming is now the single largest source of peak downstream Internet traffic in the U.S., according to a new report by Sandvine. The streaming video service now accounts for 29.7 percent of peak downstream traffic, up from 21 percent last fall.

That puts Netflix above HTTP websites (18 percent), BitTorrent (11 percent), and YouTube (10 percent) as a source of downstream traffic during peak times in North America. (BitTorrent still accounts for half of all upstream traffic). As whole, “real-time entertainment” (which is mostly video streaming, but also includes streaming music) accounted for 49 percent of downstream traffic in March, 2011, versus 19 percent for P2P file sharing, and 17 percent for Web browsing.

Read More >>

Source: TechCrunch

I have used both hulu and netflix here with a vpn service with success, just make sure whichever service you use has its server based in the usa for it to work and it will depend on your connection being able to stream it, thai internet service being what it is sometimes it just doesnt work. First one I used was based in the uk, just had to change my connection to the usa for it to work.

To view the streaming content of Netflix and Hulu, basically, you need to be accessing their web sites with something that their systems recognize as a U.S. IP (Internet Protocol) address.... Netflix is pretty easygoing about that, but the Hulu site seems to be more fussy and narrow about what kind of connections it will accept.

There are a couple different Internet services, at least, that run about $5 a month and will reliably open the door to all the various online content that requires a U.S. IP address. Those are used by many folks, and considering the lousy state of commercial cable TV programming, are viewed by many of us as being well worth the small monthly cost.

The other good thing is, as the use of these services have spread and technology gotten better, that they have become relatively easy to install and use even for relative computer novices... And the different services that provide this kind of access also have varying kinds of online manuals and instructions to assist their customers in the correct set-ups.

HULU doesn't work for me here. I get a message saying it's blocked in Thailand because of copyright issues.

The services like Hulu and Netflix license the content from the studios and other providers by paying fees based on a U.S. domestic viewing audience.... They don't license the content worldwide, at least not yet.

However, as explained above, there are pretty easy ways to deal with that situation.

Keep in mind I am not technical. Using these IP simulators, is there a way to easily turn them on or off? I am afraid my financial services sites in the US would freeze my accounts if they detected I was tricking them.

Jing, you're raising two different question, but I think the basic answer is "no problem" to both...

1. Re turning them on and off, they can be turned on and off.... VPNs usually are VPN service provided software you install on your computer and it only connects when you tell it to, by clicking the program icon, and then click again when you want to disconnect. It's pretty much as simple as that once you've got the software installed. The rest of the time you're running off just your regular local internet address and service.

Re the method and web site that Negreanu listed above, that's a different method and a bit more complicated to turn on and off, since that particular service operates by the user not installing software but instead changing the DNS (Domain Name Server) entries in their Windows networking settings...whereby you have to enter the correct number strings for that provider...and then go back to Dynamic (automatic) when you want to resume a local connection. Can be done, but it's really set up more as an ongoing connection...not an on and off one.

2. As for the financials issue, I think it's the case that most people don't use VPNs when doing online banking, since there's no reason to. I've rarely if ever heard of a bank that restricts online banking access to U.S. IP addresses, since their customers do travel. And likewise, there's no particular issue about logging in from a U.S. IP address one time and then from a different address another time... Though, banks do often have log-in settings whereby you can choose to set less complicated security measures for a particular computer (like a home one) that you regularly use.

All of the above relates to existing banks and existing online banking services. Separate from that, I have heard of some situations where when a person is making an online application to open a new account, that the bank's systems monitor the IP address where the access is coming from and their systems may flag the app. if the IP address is outside that bank's particular service area (assuming it's a local vs. a national one). In other words, for example, a bank serving only Florida residents might ask some question if they got an online application from an IP in California... Though still, I think the institutions that do that are pretty rare, because we a mobile society and people travel about.

• 2 weeks later...

To be clear, the TV and movie content on Hulu is the same for someone accessing it in the U.S. vs. anywhere else.

On the free service, which only requires you create a free account with user ID and password, they have various shows and usually a limited number of episodes for each (typically the most recent five), though it varies by show.

Then on the monthly pay subscription service, they have a broader range of content and more episodes for those shows, often full seasons or multiple seasons...

In either case, to access the content when one is traveling outside the U.S., you'll need to be able to access the site via a U.S. IP address.

I have noticed, since the introduction of the subscription service, that they do appear to have taken some content that used to be included in their original free service and moved it to the paid Hulu Plus category, meaning it's now no longer available under their free plan.

BTW, re Nate's interesting question above, I've not heard or seen of any kind of Thai version of Netflix.... I guess I should inquire and try to find out....

I have the impression, there certainly are a lot of places with Thai video content out there... I think, for example, episodes of some of the Thai soaps get posted in parts to YouTube and elsewhere... And as far as Thai commercial TV is concerned, there isn't much of episodic content that isn't soaps....

As for Thai movies, it seems the more common approach is still to buy or rent VCDs and DVDs from the local store. That's probably because, for most Thais and particularly upcountry, they've been unlikely to be paying for and/or even have available to them sufficient Internet connection speeds to support video streaming.

• 1 year later...

To be clear, the TV and movie content on Hulu is the same for someone accessing it in the U.S. vs. anywhere else.

On the free service, which only requires you create a free account with user ID and password, they have various shows and usually a limited number of episodes for each (typically the most recent five), though it varies by show.

Then on the monthly pay subscription service, they have a broader range of content and more episodes for those shows, often full seasons or multiple seasons...

In either case, to access the content when one is traveling outside the U.S., you'll need to be able to access the site via a U.S. IP address.

I have noticed, since the introduction of the subscription service, that they do appear to have taken some content that used to be included in their original free service and moved it to the paid Hulu Plus category, meaning it's now no longer available under their free plan.

BTW, re Nate's interesting question above, I've not heard or seen of any kind of Thai version of Netflix.... I guess I should inquire and try to find out....

I have the impression, there certainly are a lot of places with Thai video content out there... I think, for example, episodes of some of the Thai soaps get posted in parts to YouTube and elsewhere... And as far as Thai commercial TV is concerned, there isn't much of episodic content that isn't soaps....

As for Thai movies, it seems the more common approach is still to buy or rent VCDs and DVDs from the local store. That's probably because, for most Thais and particularly upcountry, they've been unlikely to be paying for and/or even have available to them sufficient Internet connection speeds to support video streaming.

Yes , seems you need the 10 mbps plan or higher to even begin to be able to stream. Higher for more people in the house. Ideal would be 20 mbps local maybe. www.speedtest.net lol