Tesco Computers

nellyp

I need a cheap computer fast. I am considering the ones in Tesco as it is quick for me to buy from. My research is getting nowhere. I am thinking of either the Dell they sell or the compaq pressario. Both have 500 Gb and the same Ram I do not know what processor is best at the moment. They have a core 1.3/1.5 plus pentium chips. I need the computer to work in a school and hook up to a projector. it will also be needed at home for the internet and downloading and watching movies.

Any advice on what I can buy in the sisaket/roiet area would be great.

Cheers

If they are both Core i3 or both Core i5, then, yeah go for the cheapest. But, if only one is Core i5 and the price is the same (or close), go for the Core i5 -- you'll get speed increase in some situations from the Turbo Mode that is not on the i3.

If they are both Core i3 or both Core i5, then, yeah go for the cheapest. But, if only one is Core i5 and the price is the same (or close), go for the Core i5 -- you'll get speed increase in some situations from the Turbo Mode that is not on the i3.

The OP wouldn't notice any speed increase as it's only going to be used for watching movies, internet and (presumably) Microsoft Office applications like Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

Edited by edwardandtubs

Based on my experience DONT DO IT ! if anything goes wrong they couldnt care less and will tell you to go to the manufacturer yourself.

Atleast in somewhere like Big C they'll help you and even swap it if it goes wrong.

Personally I would NEVER buy anything like that from Tesco EVER AGAIN.

My wife studies English on a lap top. I had a top of the line Thinkpad T43p. It had all the bells and whistles. It went through two main boards in 5 years. Fortunately the first one was covered by warranty. I elected NOT to repair it and bought a 13,800 baht Acer. The Acer does much more than my wife needs. She likes it and if it lasts four or five years, it will have been worth the money. Personally I will never buy another top of the line lap top. I use an HP mini for travel that works great. You just can't beat a desk top for home use. A new desk top for my wife would have been fine but she wasn't having it. She drags her Acer all over the place.

ADDED - I tried a touch screen smart phone and it now stays in a drawer at home. The small screen and difficulty typing make it a useless toy. The GPS is nearly useless too.

Edited by Gary A

Check that it comes with Windows first too, i bought one that came with linux and had to change everything.

Good point. The Tesco Lotus Acer had Linux ready to install. I had a legal Windows 7 on the Thinkpad and transferred it to the Acer.

Based on my experience DONT DO IT ! if anything goes wrong they couldnt care less and will tell you to go to the manufacturer yourself.

Same most places in Thailand. Generally unless you back the same day its manufacturer/service-center referal.

Atleast in somewhere like Big C they'll help you and even swap it if it goes wrong.

Pot luck maybe, had opposite experiences with Big C.

Just dont buy SOA or SOVA or whatever it is called. Stick to HP/Compaq (my pref), Dell etc.. No problem with a computer I purchased from Tesco 2 years ago apart from PSU leakage (common) just need to be properly earthed.

As some pointed out if you look for a built in HDMI output then you future proof somewhat with regards to projectors.