About Broccolis And Chocolate Cake

JurgenG

In the west, we have a strict order for our meal. First the starter, then the main dish, and we finish with the dessert.

In Asia, all the dishes come at the same time.

Is there any scientific rational for our way of eating, beside the blackmail, eat your broccolis if you want to have dessert, or it doesn't really matter which dish you eat first ?

There's been a lot of recent talks about eating dessert / fruit / sugar after your main meal is counter productive to the bodys digestive functions.

Those that believe this argue:

Fruits are digested much faster than our main meal which is either carbs or protein or combination thereof. While the sugar released from digested fruit ( or whatever forms of sweets) will coat the undigested main meal, causing some sort of fermentation. (my scientific explanation ain't too great - but something along that line)

So essentially the liver etc etc has to work non stop to try to digest the fermented / coated proteins and carbs. Normally this can already take between 2.5 to 3 hrs for carbs and between 3.5 to 5 hrs for protein.

Sorry not sure if this helps :lol:

I need to chocolate to help me digest all that info

In most Thai restaurants I've been to the meals are all brought one at a time. By the time one person in a group gets what they've ordered the first person has already finished.

There is a reason for the western method of serving desert last. Children especially prefer sweets to food that is actually good for them. If it was left up to them they would never eat vegetables. I know lots of adults who never eat vegetables. I see their bloated, soft bodies everywhere I go.

I have been in a restaurant with my girl friend and a friend of hers. The friend will get up half way through the meal, come back with a load of sweet stuff, tuck into that, then carry on with the meal. She is probably 15 to 20 kilos over weight.

jb1

Observe how the Chinese take their meals.

A lesson in eating rules and etiquette.

I lived in China for 3 years and absolutely loved eating with chop sticks. Another three years in Malaysia with chopsticks as well. Most civilized form of eating there is. Leave the knife work to the food provider.

There's been a lot of recent talks about eating dessert / fruit / sugar after your main meal is counter productive to the bodys digestive functions.

Fruits are digested much faster than our main meal which is either carbs or protein or combination thereof. While the sugar released from digested fruit ( or whatever forms of sweets) will coat the undigested main meal, causing some sort of fermentation. (my scientific explanation ain't too great - but something along that line)

So essentially the liver etc etc has to work non stop to try to digest the fermented / coated proteins and carbs. Normally this can already take between 2.5 to 3 hrs for carbs and between 3.5 to 5 hrs for protein.

What does the liver have to do with digesting your food? The liver filters your blood to remove impurities after everything is digested and absorbed into the blood. The liver preforms a few other tasks such as producing cholestrol, and releasing stored fats when you need an energy boost after running a few miles.

What does the liver have to do with digesting your food? The liver filters your blood to remove impurities after everything is digested and absorbed into the blood. The liver preforms a few other tasks such as producing cholestrol, and releasing stored fats when you need an energy boost after running a few miles.

I think the liver's of most TV members are mostly doing entirely different work :whistling:

A lot. Have you heard of bile?

We were in a restaurant about a month ago, and a man who was part of a tour group was patiently explaining his meal requirements to the waiter. "I would like my soup first, then 5 or 10 minutes later, I want my main meal. When I have finished that, I want my desert. Ok?" The waiter, appearing to be understandably confused, as that is not the easiest English to understand, said "Ok", and walked off. 10 minutes later, the main meal arrived. ("Oh, for Christ's sake!") 2 minutes after that, the desert. We left before the soup appeared...

Edited by johntou