Don'T Speak Pidgin Thai To My Kids

saraburioz

I get really pissed of with Western guys(who usually can't speak thai well) meeting my kids and speaking simple Thai to them.

If you are one of them, why do you do it?

They and I both think you are a plonker.

I usually get pissed off when a farang standing in front of me at a shop can't even say "Thank you" in Thai, less explaining what he wants.

But "mai pen rai", I just shrug my sholders and go on with my life.

Equally, I won't talk to your look krung spin-off, hope that helps.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Off topic a little, but I'm more bothered by native English speakers who speak to other native English speakers in pigin English. :bah:

Or mix Thai with English. One guy said to me (after I asked where he was going) " I'm off to the talad with the wife"

Give me strength.

Well that's good news, one of the very few farangs who know how to say "market", I don't see many of these :whistling:

Funny they don't seem to mind when I hold up the glass and say 'one more'..........and not...... "would you like another beer"

We are talking about pidgin English, not informal English. :ermm:

Exactly.

Gib one beea me. OK?

When they do this do they know your kids speak English or do they assume they speak only Thai?

Not all know but even the ones I tell, still do it. One of my best friends who is an English teacher still does it from time to time.

If I meet half-caste kids, i always start off speaking english with them.

What pisses me off, is people using "half-caste" as a way of describing mixed race children. :whistling: They sound like a plonker. :ph34r:

Yes what an extraordinary term to use from someone complaining about how people speak to their kids!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Ugh!

And here I was thinking people came to Thailand to avoid this kind of "PC" crap.

Funny they don't seem to mind when I hold up the glass and say 'one more'..........and not...... "would you like another beer"

I guess some guys just get so informal they miss few words out and restructure the phrases....:blink: .

Edited by 473geo

Just like 'farang' - do you use that?

No, it's nothing like the term farang

You know what, you really could save yourself a whole lot of hassle by just putting the term into a search engine and reading what comes up. I suggest you do before you go any further.

Like this

"Half caste is deemed by some as an offensive term but often freely used by others in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking parts of the world"

Exactly.

Gib one beea me. OK?

If......if.....I was concerned at all with that statement......

Firstly I notice the lack of politeness.....in there being no 'please'

Secondly if the guy said "give one beer him. ok"........I doubt it would trouble many at all..........:)

But of course you guys are entitled to get uptight about anything you wish.......

When they do this do they know your kids speak English or do they assume they speak only Thai?

Not all know but even the ones I tell, still do it. One of my best friends who is an English teacher still does it from time to time.

If I meet half-caste kids, i always start off speaking english with them.

What pisses me off, is people using "half-caste" as a way of describing mixed race children. :whistling: They sound like a plonker. :ph34r:

Yes what an extraordinary term to use from someone complaining about how people speak to their kids!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Ugh!

I believe the correct term for kettles is 'coloured'

SC

Being called half-caste is not bbeing called names. it is proper English

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1

I really think farang is more offensive.

Since you are using a quote from wiki (rather out of context) to defend your position ------- http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Half-caste

Here is the whole paragraph that you quoted from

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the dervative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. The term originates from the Indian caste system, where a person of 'lesser' or half-caste would be deemed to be of a 'lower class'. The origins of the term are derogatory.

The origins of the term are derogatory. note the full reference and the last sentence --- "proper English" indeed!

This is all pretty well off-topic unless you consider the mis-use of any language to be "pidgin" ----

The fact of the matter is that the OP is making the incorrect assumption that

1) He can control other people's speech

and

2) That pidgin Thai is not the only option that some people would have for a language in common.

I spent some time in Chiang Rai, and stayed at a foreign owned place where the owner didn't speak English but we both spoke a fair amount of Thai. He asked me to join a tour the next day (dirt cheap) because his client was a British woman and he couldn't communicate with her. I was relatively new to Thailand at the time so "pidgin Thai" was how I communicated with the driver, and I spoke English with his client.

And NOTE the whole story where it says often used in English speaking countries as per my quote above. Looks like your'e both selecting the bit you want :lol: :lol:

I guess some guys just get so informal they miss few words out and restructure the phrases....:blink: .

Me want numbu one bia papasan. :bah:

Yep impolite again......

Normally, a simple hand signal and a polite smile would suffice.

Served me well from Gorgie to Geylang and all points in between

SC

To be honest, if I didn't want ignorant old farang buffoons talking pidgin Thai to my bairns, I'd not take them to the go go bars

SC

Yep impolite again......

SC

To be honest, if I didn't want ignorant old farang buffoons talking pidgin Thai to my bairns, I'd not take them to the go go bars

SC

lol - never taken any of my kids to one(yet - maybe in a couple of years). we own a zoo, so it's hard to keep the kids away from strange old farang sometimes.

And NOTE the whole story where it says often used in English speaking countries as per my quote above. Looks like your'e both selecting the bit you want :lol: :lol:

Nope --- read it again ... (It MAY not be considered always offensive in England/the UK) I would assume that would depend on the class of both the speaker and listener there .. In Australia and the US and definitely South Africa it is always offensive.

The problem with Wiki as a source is that some articles are not complete, and some are changed by individuals to meet their political/social aims :)

Being called half-caste is not bbeing called names. it is proper English

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1

I really think farang is more offensive.

Since you are using a quote from wiki (rather out of context) to defend your position ------- http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Half-caste

Here is the whole paragraph that you quoted from

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the dervative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. The term originates from the Indian caste system, where a person of 'lesser' or half-caste would be deemed to be of a 'lower class'. The origins of the term are derogatory.

The origins of the term are derogatory. note the full reference and the last sentence --- "proper English" indeed!

This is all pretty well off-topic unless you consider the mis-use of any language to be "pidgin" ----

The fact of the matter is that the OP is making the incorrect assumption that

1) He can control other people's speech

and

2) That pidgin Thai is not the only option that some people would have for a language in common.

I spent some time in Chiang Rai, and stayed at a foreign owned place where the owner didn't speak English but we both spoke a fair amount of Thai. He asked me to join a tour the next day (dirt cheap) because his client was a British woman and he couldn't communicate with her. I was relatively new to Thailand at the time so "pidgin Thai" was how I communicated with the driver, and I spoke English with his client.

yawn - I guess you're as bored as I am today too.

my family are away to some fashion show in bangkok with my brother-in-law. I could start a whole new thread about this. He is a ladyboy who would have been king in a neighboring country if they still had a monarchy.Amazing.

1) I think it's odd that Farangs would try and speak Thai -- no matter what level of Thai skills they had -- to a Farang's kids, unless they knew those kids couldn't speak English. This has NEVER happened to my kids.

2) I think it's really odd that this guys calls his kids "half-caste". (And if he ever met my kids and spoke to them in any language but referred to them as "half-caste" -- I'd have some things to say to him [in Thai or English]).

Do you mind people calling your kids , 'farang'. it annoys me.

i find that amazing that noone has ever gone up to your kids and said, 'sabai dee mai' Actually, i don't believe you.

I would never call my own kids halfe-caste.

I don't even like 'look kreung'

I always use Eurasian when referring to my kids.

• I don't have a problem with "Falang". The etymological, soical and historical reasons have been discussed on this forum by myself and others ad nauseum.
  • I think you're a PEJORATIVE CURSE WORD for calling me a liar (inaccurately and completely without cause).
  • I think it's disgusting that you would call someone else's kids an offensive term while acknowledging that you won't use it for your own.

That post looked almost intellectual but the spelling of 'farang' gives the game away. Isaan wife mate?

let's hear from one other guy whose half-breed kids have NEVER been spoken in Thai to by a foreigner

Edited by saraburioz

Nope --- read it again ... (It MAY not be considered always offensive in England/the UK) I would assume that would depend on the class of both the speaker and listener there .. In Australia and the US and definitely South Africa it is always offensive.

The problem with Wiki as a source is that some articles are not complete, and some are changed by individuals to meet their political/social aims :)

No Problem with my reading but Ill post the whole text its easier . "deemed by some" and "Other English speaking

parts of the world" Seems it offends Yanks OOOOPS im being non pc again I meant Americans og h bugger is that correct or is it offensive to native Indians oh bugger done it again sheeesh cant say anything these days :lol:

Half-caste (or often mis-spelt half-cast) is a term used to describe people of mixed race or ethnicity.[1] Caste comes from the Latin castus, meaning pure, and the dervative Portuguese and Spanish casta, meaning race. The term originates from the Indian caste system, where a person of 'lesser' or half-caste would be deemed to be of a 'lower class'. The origins of the term are derogatory.[citation needed]

In Australia the term is thoroughly offensive, and was used in the past to describe Indigenous people of mixed racial parentage. The term "Aboriginal" or "Indigenous" in the Australian context no longer requires that a person described by such a term has a minimum proportion of Indigenous heritage.[citation needed] Terms such as "half-caste" or "part-Aboriginal" are no longer used.

Half caste is deemed by some as an offensive term but often freely used by others in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking parts of the world. An example is a child of black African and white European parentage. A preferred term might be 'Mixed Race'. The term mulatto (from Spanish "Mulato") has also been used for this particular mixture. Both the terms Half-Caste and Mulato are considered impolite and potentially offensive in the U.S., as the words have been used pejoratively in the past to ostracize and isolate the offspring of such unions.[citation needed] For example, "children of the plantation" (the children of African-American slaves and their European-American masters in the U.S. Southern states) were not accepted as heirs, and in most cases, the relationship was never acknowledged, and "half-caste" conveyed the deliberate exclusion.[citation needed]

That post looked almost intellectual but the spelling of 'farang' gives the game away. Isaan wife mate?

1) I'd be very careful about denigrating someone's spouse because of where they were born, particularly in a thread whining about how people speak to your children based upon possibly untrue assumptions ....

and

2) .......... how does where his wife potentially comes from change the post he made?

(yes, I think you really stepped way over the line with that post)

]

Yep impolite again......

SC

SC

lol - never taken any of my kids to one(yet - maybe in a couple of years). we own a zoo, so it's hard to keep the kids away from strange old farang sometimes.

How many "ignorant old farang buffoons" have you in there?

and why oh why do you allow them access to the internet? :D

let's hear from one other guy whose half-breed kids have NEVER been spoken in Thai to by a foreigner

So intellectuals can't have wives from Isaan?

Is that actually a rule, or as Henry told Percy "It's not wrong, we just don't do it"

Maybe we should all pull out our prejudices, to see whose is biggest

SC

1) I'd be very careful about denigrating someone's spouse because of where they were born, particularly in a thread whining about how people speak to your children based upon possibly untrue assumptions ....

and

2) .......... how does where his wife potentially comes from change the post he made?

Obviously the intellectual part came from the Issan wife......don't see any stepping over the line at all.......probably very true if she is anything like mine....:)

Edited by 473geo

Friends of ours with mixed race childern tend to have the same unwritten rule. Non Thais speak English to the kids regardless of their Thai language abilities, Thais speak Thai to them regardless of their English language abilities.

Over the years it seems to have worked very well.

I think this was more a post for the OP to suggest that his language skills are better than his mate's more than anything else though...

So the unwritten rule is to teach your children to judge people by their race/nationality.

Way to set an example :clap2:

You're going to be waiting a long time as half breed refers to a mixed Native American and a white person.

Not to many Sombat Running Bucks hanging around LOS.

and

??

I wasn't denigrating his wife. - quite simple really - he can't spell farang - not so bright.

Man, you have a wild imagination.

1) I think it's odd that Farangs would try and speak Thai -- no matter what level of Thai skills they had -- to a Farang's kids, unless they knew those kids couldn't speak English. This has NEVER happened to my kids.

2) I think it's really odd that this guys calls his kids "half-caste". (And if he ever met my kids and spoke to them in any language but referred to them as "half-caste" -- I'd have some things to say to him [in Thai or English]).

Do you mind people calling your kids , 'farang'. it annoys me.

i find that amazing that noone has ever gone up to your kids and said, 'sabai dee mai' Actually, i don't believe you.

I would never call my own kids halfe-caste.

I don't even like 'look kreung'

I always use Eurasian when referring to my kids.

I agree with you but unfortunately this is Thailand and you will hear these terms often.

Perhaps its time to take Eurass back to Eurasia :lol:

This thread has put me right off starting opinionated threads speculatively abusing the hypothetical behaviour of complete strangers.

Though it is nice to have the "Don't do this - you look like a plonker" threads back.

I think there would be some benefit in merging or cross-pollinating threads - maybe something for the forum programming wizards to look at...

"Don't speak pidgin thai to my kids - Annoying sound effects"

SC