Motor Driven Lawn Mower

Does anybody know where in Thailand I can buy a new, or even good second hand, motor driven lawn mower with cylinder (sometime called reel) type cutting blades something like that shown in the attached photo. Width from 15" up to 24" would be ideal for what I need.

post-34165-0-00073800-1305355617_thumb.j

Hello WorkFarmer.

Just a quick thought would be a True Value retailer, but probably not. What you see is what you get, but you might be able to special order.

Golf courses use the same type mower for the greens. Brands names Jacobsen, John Deer and Toro.

There is Siam-Hitachi who carries the John Deer brand and Jebsen & Jebsen Technology in Bangkok who carries the Toro brand. Watch out for sticker shock as these mower can be quite expensive.

Good luck.

Thanks for those replies. Yes indeed golf courses have these types of mowers for their greens, but those machines are very special and cost an arm and a leg. This small one is going second hand on eBay for $1,800, when surfing the internet I saw many others at prices ranging up to $6,500. I am just looking for something to cut my lawns which is self propelled and gives a resonable cut. All these rotary mowers have to be pushed!

post-34165-0-79043200-1305427338_thumb.j

Hi Wormfarmer,

I am not too sure if you are the mechanically minded type but a cylinder mower will always need height adjustments, backlapping ( running the cylinders in reverse to keep them sharp ) and other little adjustments. They do an excellent job at cutting if they are maintained well. We have been using Toro ride on cylinder mowers where i work for about a decade finding them very satisfactory over most of the other brands on the markets and so based on that experience the self propelled walk behinds would be similar. I think Kabuta also markets cylider mowers for greens and wickets . Kabuta is available in Thailand but not sure if they market to the green keeping sector. Before you buy you should ensure that a good supply of parts are also available as the cyliders will need replacing at some stage especially if you nick a cutting edge.

I would also be ringing up golf courses and see what they have second hand altho most places keep good cylinder mowers for years,even decades by maintaining them properly. Many will be running Honda motors now , in fact if you can get a good mower without a motor then just add a Honda motor.

I think if you buy cheap , then you will have problems - so be prepared to spend big bucks and look at what the professional green keepers on the golf courses, tennis courts and cricket wickets are using.

All the best with it.

• 2 months later...

Hello Wormfarmer,

I have a nice selection of self propelled rotary mowers to chose from , All Husqvarna brand. They are extremely hard working and will last foe many years. Either Briggs and Stratton or kohler powered. they work out at about 15% more that most of the chinese made types that are not usually self propelled Please take a quick look at my web site or give me a call on 08 75752528.

Ian Bannerman

Huskymowers Thailand.

email removed

Edited by Crossy
email removed per forum rules