Firefox History

samran

hi all,

from time to time I clear out the cache on firefox, in perhaps a mislead belief that this can help prevent spyware.

Anyhoo, I don't know what I did, but for some reason now the history in the address bar simply doesn't show. So there basically is no drop down list in the address bar any more. I'd actually like it back as I find it quite useful for work!

I've gone to tools/options/privacy and have settings set to remember history. However, nothing I try seems to bring the history function back.

Any tips would be welcome.

I have removed FF after a recent problem with it but believe cleaning catch may do more than that if you are not careful so if you have backup copies you may be able to restore previous files from that (Windows 7 backups) or just wait and it should be remembering them again, from now, now that you have set it to do so.

You are likely find information on required files with a google search as often others have had the same questions.

type about:config in the addressbar; filter cache

thanks - but then what do I with it?

as for pressing cntrl, shift, H, all that does is bring up a box of today's history. Nothing more.

I have removed FF after a recent problem with it but believe cleaning catch may do more than that if you are not careful so if you have backup copies you may be able to restore previous files from that (Windows 7 backups) or just wait and it should be remembering them again, from now, now that you have set it to do so.

You are likely find information on required files with a google search as often others have had the same questions.

thanks lop...unfortunately, it remembers nothing. No history dropping down.

type about:config in the addressbar; filter cache

thanks - but then what do I with it?

as for pressing cntrl, shift, H, all that does is bring up a box of today's history. Nothing more.

it shows the location of your History

If I understand you right, you lost the "History" button which is with File, Edit,...etc. right?

Put your cursor (arrow) just to the right of the "help" button. Right click. Select "Customize" in the drop down menu. Find the "history button" and drag over to the menu bar. You can place it where ever you need it.

The history will clear with cleaning as does the address bar drop down list of typed url's. if I recall there is a file called typed url's somewhere that you can backup and restore after cleaning and the address bar drop down list would be saved that way, but have not done it in some time myself. In windows cc clean might be more selective in the items it cleans rather then using the one in the FF browser itself. couple things to check on anyway.

Not sure as I took it to mean he wanted to restore his old history after erasing it. Believe that can only be done from a backup copy as file would have been removed if he cleaned computer to remove history.

I re-read your post. You are asking about the history list when you click on the address bar. Try going into the control panel, Internet options, General tab, History settings. See if you have it turned off. Also check to see how much space is allocated and for how many days. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

didnt want to start a new thread but just wanted to mention that after installing the Thai download of fire fox ( add banners pop up occasionally in thai) my connection is 50% faster. Anyone no why this would be the case ?

The thai version is found by installing from thai google.

http://www.mozilla.com/th/firefox/

Edited by zorro1