Tops Comes To Jomtien!

richsilver

Construction began recently on the space previously occupied by that strange Thai "antique" store with several floors of stuff (just two doors down from Linda's Restaurant on Thappraya Road). There is a large crew and they are coming along rapidly. I stopped by this morning and queried the security guard. This is what he told me.

It will be a Tops Supermarket. It will open May 31. There will be parking.

Hallelujah! At long last we may have a proper supermarket in Jomtien, just in time for the paving of our road too! I'm guessing it will be about the size of the Tops Market in the basement of TukCom, but I could be wrong.

Let's hope this spurs some competition as well.

post-9679-0-15840800-1305367686_thumb.jp

post-9679-0-60935100-1305367700_thumb.jp

post-9679-0-43988400-1305367743_thumb.jp

Congratulations...you've joint the 20th Century :lol: A supermarket the size of the tiny one in Tuk Com's basement in Jomtien...who would have ever thought! Something tells me most of you will still be coming over the hill to Pattaya or up Thepressit Road to Sukhumvit to buy most of your food.

Agree, it won't be great if it is a satellite store like those mini-Tescos. But if it has a bakery I'll be happy enough. I live in Jomtien and hate that overpriced Foodmart piece of crap, so I welcome the change even though I'll still do my regular shopping at Makro.

It's obviously a satellite store since I can see it from my Apartment.

Strange logic? It's a satellite store because you can see it from your apartment?

What is a Tops satellite store? Where is there another Tops satellite store?

If you mean Tops at Tukcom, that's a lot bigger than any 7Eleven or Family Mart and a lot cheaper than Food Mart, therefore making it a welcome addition to the area.

big deal :lol:if its 3 times as good as the one in tuk com it will still be useless , went there one day to try to get 4 different items and couldnt find any , finely found one item in the 7-11of all places :obelieve me its nothing to get excited about :whistling:

big deal :lol:if its 3 times as good as the one in tuk com it will still be useless , went there one day to try to get 4 different items and couldnt find any , finely found one item in the 7-11of all places :obelieve me its nothing to get excited about :whistling:

Well - let's wait and see. I'm getting pretty excited.

This is welcome addition to the meager shopping in Jomtien. A bit of competition won't hurt either plus it will be a nice place to hide from the choking dust project they call Thappraya Road (nearly 5 years in the making by the way!). With the poor construction and lenght of time it is time for them to resurface this and the new second road.

Edited by gerry53

Hopefully there will be a English school nearby...........

If you mean Tops at Tukcom, that's a lot bigger than any 7Eleven or Family Mart and a lot cheaper than Food Mart, therefore making it a welcome addition to the area.

Lots of them over here on the Farside...basically Tops branded Lotus Express stores, i.e., glorified 7-11s...you'll still be coming to Foodland for sure :lol:

I think the Tops Daily will still be the best bet for low prices in Jometien, as the only competition is Foodmart(not Foodland). Foodmart is a rip-off and I'm happy to see an end to their monopoly of Jometien. Although your a fool if you shop anywhere else besides Makro.

"Although your a fool if you shop anywhere else besides Makro."

Maybe a fool to you, but for those who don't have private transport-- Makro is not exactly the same as a stroll down the Burma Road to Food Mart or the new Tops-Daily . . . :)

Although your a fool if you shop anywhere else besides Makro.

You're the fool to consider others fools who don't shop where you like to shop.

I have absolutely no interest in shopping at Makro. It's just not my kind of store to suit my shopping habits - small amounts of food to last a few days. If I lived 100 miles from a supermarket and had to shop for a family for a month that would be my choice.

Different strokes for different folks.

It's obviously a satellite store since I can see it from my Apartment.

Strange logic? It's a satellite store because you can see it from your apartment?

Oops meant to say I could see it from my street and it looks like a mini-tops. The business it replaces didn't occupy a big area.

I think they originally planned to move into the abandoned car-park insidr Jomtien Complex but it's probably good they didn't

I have absolutely no interest in shopping at Makro. It's just not my kind of store to suit my shopping habits - small amounts of food to last a few days. If I lived 100 miles from a supermarket and had to shop for a family for a month that would be my choice.

If you want to spend 100% more on groceries, go ahead shop where you like. If you have a fridge, shop at Makro. We'll see whose the fool, Caveat Emperor!

If you want to spend 100% more on groceries, go ahead shop where you like. If you have a fridge, shop at Makro. We'll see whose the fool, Caveat Emperor!

Caveat Emperor? And Erudite is a glue, right?

Took a peak inside yestrday. This is a supermarket in about the same way as the 7-11 is.

It's more like a somewhat bigger 7 than a real supermarket. I don't think Foodmart has anything to fear(unfortunately)

But is it going to be open 24 hours? If not then it will just be a waste of space and not able to compete with all the 24 hour stores.

Maybe it will make Foodmart reduce its prices as always been far too expensive. Long time overdue to have another supermarket in Jomtien!

You'd have to wonder why Foodmart, a virtual monopoly in the area is always quiet. The market is just not as dumb as they might have presumed.

It looks small like an average 7/11. Makro is not that cheap imho unless you buy restaurant sizes. Overall the farang food is totally overpriced. Despite the much stronger Bht, price went up drastically. :(