Buddist Temple Attendance

khaowong1

Has anyone else who visits this topic, and now frequents a Buddhist temple, noticed that temple attendance seems to be getting lower over the past several years? I know at my temple in Lopburi and even the temple I stay at frequently here in Phoenix, Arizona, that temple attendance has dropped from 20 - 30 people attending every weekend to approx. 10 - 12. And most of the laypeople attending are women, very few men, and even fewer young adults. Anyone have a suggestion why this is? And any suggestions to help relieve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Edited by khaowong1

1. Seduced by the dark side?

2. Christianity offers them easy salvation, which can be bought, even after a bad life.

3. People are basically lazy and cannot be bothered to do the hard work called Practice.

4. Women have always attended retreats etc. 4/5 more than men. Women suffer more than men. Men if serious about it can ordain as monks.

5. The lay people are not taught the basic important stuff about Nibbana and how to reach it, or why? Perhaps the monks having grown up under the same system do not know any more than the lay people they are meant to teach.

6. Monks duties are to study, practice and teach the Dhamma. if they only study and teach they might be talking rubbish...not having gained personal knowledge called wisdom, and verified their knowledge by practice.

We are over half way through the Buddhas dispensation....on the slippery slope down.....the rise of ignorance and taste for the true Dhamma and attraction for the false teachings and teachers....is inevitable.

Unfortunately monks try to please the lay people and give them what they want, hoping to attract more of them, so that they bring many offerings with them. We should tell them the truth to dispel their ignorance. if they decide to take their offerings elsewhere because they cannot stomach the truth then we shouldn't care.

I would rather have one student who wants to learn than a hundred who aren't really interested.

Go for quality rather than quantity.

Edited by fabianfred

:rolleyes:

I may remember incorrectly, but it seems to me that the first question from a Thai in 1977 (when I first came to Thailand) wasn't, "How much it is worth,then?" when they recieved a present. Today, for many Thais, it is the first question they do ask.

Maybe it's just that I'm 65 and my Thai wife is 62...we are both "out of touch" with the current generation. But it does seem to me that there is more "matierialisim" now than in 1977. For many Thais Buddhisim is a thing to do out of "respect" to fulfill a social requirement. Then when that is done, get on with the real business of gaining matierial possesions...that's what really counts these days.

But maybe that's just the complaing of an old man.

:o

But I should add, in fairness, that my Thai wife will being going to the local Wat tommorow to cook and serve food for the monks. But in her case it is NOT because it is the "thing to do", She really means it as a sign of respect for the monks.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Some possibilities:

1. There are many other things to do on the weekends now that people find meaningful.

2. The reputation of the Sangha has declined.

3. People can follow Buddhist teachings on television (DMC, FMTV) and via DVDs and popular books.

4. It's not just a Buddhist phenomenon. Only about 10% of Roman Catholics in Australia now attend Mass on Sundays. Only 3 - 4% of Muslims in the US attend Friday Prayers (but this is also due to it being a workday).

5. Traditional Thai Buddhism, with its emphasis on merit-making through donations and monk-feeding, may have lost its appeal.

6. The figures for Thailand might be a lot better in locations other than the capital and provincial cities such as Lopburi.

Good answers all. thank you. I just some times get discourged when so few people come to the temple. Last Sunday, here at Wat Promkunaram in Phoenix, Arizona, we only had 7 people come to the temple. One thing I did do different, was I had a short talk with the Americans visiting, 3, and talked to them in English. Explained the Pali chants to them and talked a little about what the Buddha taught. I was told that a lot of Americans don't come because everything here prior to me is always done in Thai with not much emphasis on explaining to those who don't speak Thai. I was thanked by the Americans that came for explaining what's going on. I think when the abbot gets back from Thailand, I will see if he will let me give a short Dhamma talk in English every Sunday. Thank you all again.

Good answers all. thank you. I just some times get discourged when so few people come to the temple. Last Sunday, here at Wat Promkunaram in Phoenix, Arizona, we only had 7 people come to the temple. One thing I did do different, was I had a short talk with the Americans visiting, 3, and talked to them in English. Explained the Pali chants to them and talked a little about what the Buddha taught. I was told that a lot of Americans don't come because everything here prior to me is always done in Thai with not much emphasis on explaining to those who don't speak Thai. I was thanked by the Americans that came for explaining what's going on. I think when the abbot gets back from Thailand, I will see if he will let me give a short Dhamma talk in English every Sunday. Thank you all again.

what kind of breakdown are the visitors to your temple...by Nationality? Perhaps English should have been an major part of the teachings for some time.

I am lucky in being able to teach in either Thai or English.

Part of the answer is:<br><br> "Why do people come to the temple in the first instance?"<br><br>Is it because they have problems in their life, either physical or psychological and they are looking for escape?<br><br>or<br><br>Is it due to cultural/obligatory reasons and visits are token?<br><br>If you can get an honest answer as to why people attend you'll be touching on the reason for poor attendance.<br><br><br>Perhaps, coming for escape, they realize this is only possible through a life long dedication to the Dhamma.<br><br><br>I met a woman who was traveling to the same retreat I was attending.<br>She was in her thirties and was still getting over a partnership break up.<br>She was also a regular smoker.<br>She was seeking escape from her suffering.<br><br>She only lasted two days.<br>

Good answers all. thank you. I just some times get discourged when so few people come to the temple.

Why? surely quality is more important that quantity, the question should be are more/less people experiencing the benefits of practising the Buddhas teaching rather than are more/less people turning up each day to feed the monks.

A lot of meditation retreats, or retreat centres, in both the west and SE asia are regularly booked up months in advance, I don't know if this is trending up or down but find it encoraging, except when I'm turned away because I've left it too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Would concur with the replies - in the UK the cult Dhammakaya is growing at a lick similar to evangelical Christianity in its approach - favours certainty over honourable doubt and celebrates wealth as a sign that the adherent is doing right. Numbers ultimately matter as the Buddha said no one helps us but ourselves no one can and no one will we ourselves must walk the path.