Ex-PM Thaksin's Sister Yingluck Is Thai Opposition's PM Candidate

webfact

Ex-PM Thaksin's sister is Thai opposition's PM candidate

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, May 16, 2011 (AFP) - The youngest sister of fugitive Thai ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday she would stand as the main opposition party's candidate for premier in July's general election.

Yingluck Shinawatra's nomination by the Puea Thai party makes her the first woman to run for Thailand's top job, and confirms Thaksin's central role in the kingdom's political landscape despite living in exile.

"I am ready to fight according to the rules and I ask for the opportunity to prove myself. I ask for your trust as you used to trust my brother," she told a party meeting in Bangkok, attended by reporters.

"I will utilise my femininity to work fully for our country."

Although he lives abroad to escape a jail term for graft, Thaksin -- ousted in a 2006 coup -- is widely considered the de facto leader of the Puea Thai party and his politically inexperienced sister is viewed as his proxy.

The party's unanimous election of Yingluck as their top candidate is likely to exacerbate tensions in the politically unstable country, especially among those who do not want Thaksin to return.

The former tycoon is hailed by many rural and working class Thais for his populist policies for the masses but loathed by the Bangkok-based elite, which sees him as corrupt, authoritarian and a threat to the revered monarchy.

The election on July 3 will pit his sister against his arch-foe, current Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva of the elite-backed Democrat Party, in what is expected to be a closely fought battle.

"Five years after the coup there are a lot of people still missing my brother and his policies. I feel my family is indebted to the people and that's a key factor in my decision," she said.

At 43, the glamorous businesswoman and mother-of-one is three years younger than her rival Abhisit and -- as the youngest of the nine Shinawatra siblings -- 18 years junior to Thaksin.

While she is expected to draw support from his loyalists in the north and northeast, analysts say she could struggle to appeal to a broader support base among those more sceptical of her controversial brother.

Puea Thai has wide support among the largely rural and working-class Red Shirts, whose mass anti-government rallies in the capital last year led to Thailand's worst political unrest in decades.

The Reds were calling for snap polls to oust Abhisit, who they accuse of being an unelected puppet of the army and the establishment as he took office in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court threw out the previous government.

A year on from an army crackdown on the Reds' protests, during which more than 90 people were killed in clashes between demonstrators and armed forces, Thailand remains deeply divided.

Oxford-educated Abhisit's party, Thailand's oldest, draws most of its support from Bangkok and the south but it has not won a general election in nearly two decades.

Observers fear this year's campaign could see more violence after a Puea Thai lawmaker, Pracha Prasopdee, was shot in an attack last week that the government said appeared to be politically motivated.

Abhisit said he had instructed the national police chief to ensure the security of all parliamentary candidates ahead of the polls, which think-tank International Crisis Group warned last month could bring fresh unrest.

On Thursday, the Red Shirts plan to hold a demonstration in the capital to mark the first anniversary of the army's assault on their protest base, which dispersed the rally.

In an interview printed in the Bangkok Post daily on Monday, Thaksin said Puea Thai, and particularly its Red Shirt supporters, had suffered most from the country's unrest but would need to "forgive and forget".

"After the election, after Puea Thai wins, it has to be clear that there will be no retribution taken," he was quoted as saying.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-16

Yingluck nominated as Pheu Thai's PM candidate

By The Nation

The Pheu Thai Party Monday voted unanimously to nominate Yingluck Shinawatra as its PM candidate.

Yingluck, a sister of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, was selected as the No-1 candidate on the party list of candidates for party proportional voting.

Learning of the party's decision, Yingluck thanked the Pheu Thai members for giving her a chance to prove herself.

"I would like to thank the Pheu Thai members for valuing and trusting me. I'll be ready to carry out this duty. But I would like all sides to turn to cooperate and stop harboring grudge," Yingluck said.

Being No-1 party-list candidate of the Pheu Thai, Yingluck is seen as the direct challenger for the post of prime minister against incumbent PM Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"I am not revengeful but I want to fix the situation. Don't worry that I am a woman. I'll use my womanhood to lead the country to reconciliation. I'll fight along side with the Pheu Thai members until we become the government.

"I work to revive the economy and tackle the economic hardship of the people. I'll reform the justice system and I'll seek the premiership via the rules. I would like to ask Pheu Thai members to give me a chance like what you gave to Thaksin," Yingluck said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-16

Big Surprise!!!

She was the ONLYcandidate on offer.

Yup, the puppetmaster has his PUPPET.

Guess he cannot trust anyone except close family now.

Great slogan, by the way: 'Thaksin thinks, Phua Thai jumps'.

Thaksin’s sister wins opposition party nomination for PM candidacy

image_20110516164616F832E9DA-A2C8-BE20-81215491A5E120DC.jpg

BANGKOK, May 16 - Yingluck Shinawatra, youngest sister of Thailand’s fugitive ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, unanimously won the opposition Puea Thai Party nomination as top party-listed candidate vying for the country’s top job in the July 3 polls.

The result was widely anticipated.

Ms Yingluck, 43, would become Thailand’s first female prime minister if Puea Thai wins most seats.

The upcoming poll is expected to be a close-fought political battle between Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva’s Democrats, the country’s oldest political party and the main opposition party Puea Thai.

Ms Yingluck is seen as a proxy for her brother Mr Thaksin who was ousted by a military coup in 2006 after being accused of corruption. He was later sentenced in absentia to two years prison for violating the law on conflict of interest by helping his wife secure a parcel of land in the capital at a below-market price.

The fugitive ex-premier, now living in self-imposed exile, remains popular among rural voters.

Although inexperienced in politics, Ms Yingluck, who earned a Master’s degree in public administration in the United States now serves as executive president of SC Asset Corporation, one of Thailand’s major real estate companies, is pitted as the most suitable candidate against 46 year-old, Oxford-educated Abhisit.

In her brief speech to the party meeting after winning the nomination, the 43-year-old businesswoman said she stood ready to board the political bandwagon as she is confident that the party’s platform could answer all the people’s needs.

She pledged to work towards national reconciliation and to work for the people’s well-being.

“I want to see constructive politics based on fairness. I would like to assure (the public) that I will apply my knowledge and my goodwill to work towards that goal, towards a new government….I would like you to give me an opportunity to work with Puea Thai party as you have trusted my brother,” Ms Yingluck said.

Regarding developments of Puea Thai’s main political rival, Banyad Bantadtan, chairman of the Democrat Party candidate selection committee, said after the panel met that all 125 party-list candidates were chosen and the list would be submitted for final approval to a party executive meeting chaired by prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The registration of party list candidates is scheduled to begin Thursday.

Mr Banyad did not disclose the names of selected candidates but said only that selection was based on three main criteria--overall positive image, equally-chosen candidates among regions and the inclusion of some female candidates.

The veteran politician also said his party would field candidates in all 375 constituencies even though the list of constituency candidates has not yet been completed.

Registration of constituency candidates is scheduled to begin next Tuesday, May 24, and extend through Saturday May 28. (MCOT Online News)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-05-16

when its all over and Abhisit is re-elected, Yunglick is going to regret ever listening to her doting brother

she is blinded by that faith in her brother but when the dust settles she will be burned out and washed up

this is the Sara Palin debacle all over again

she will be the direct cause that's sited in defeat by Phua Thai for the reds failure to launch

she will bear the brunt of the reds anger.

the huge losses they will incur by this cynical, nepotistic act by the Shinwatra clan may finally be the point where Phua Thai and their red supporters can finally break away from the spectre of Thaksin

Thaksin is paying for this election bid, after paying for and losing the red revolutionary bid.

when they lose this election, and lose it they will, there will be only one man to blame for it

i hope he is blamed into total obscurity by his own people ...........

A shrewd move on the part of Mr T - not only will she pick up most of the loyal Thaksin supporters but also might well pick up a lot of the female vote. Her election would no doubt lead to some sort of fudged pardon for Thaksin and effectively leave him back in power. Sadly, Abhisit who is from what I read a decent man, has damaged his chances by cracking down too hard on the rebels OR not coming down on them hard enough (depending on whether you wear red or yellow!) I guess it will be the people without shirts who finally decide!

The only thing that might make this fair would be if any party found to be paying voters were subject to automatic disqualification!

I will utilise my femininity to work fully for our country.

It sounds like the kind of thing sexy women do to get promoted.

agreed

''utilize my femininity'' is just another way of saying abusing the advantages we pretend we don't have

or

I'll try to use my looks to connive what I want out of men

A shrewd move on the part of Mr T - not only will she pick up most of the loyal Thaksin supporters but also might well pick up a lot of the female vote. Her election would no doubt lead to some sort of fudged pardon for Thaksin and effectively leave him back in power. Sadly, Abhisit who is from what I read a decent man, has damaged his chances by cracking down too hard on the rebels OR not coming down on them hard enough (depending on whether you wear red or yellow!) I guess it will be the people without shirts who finally decide!

The only thing that might make this fair would be if any party found to be paying voters were subject to automatic disqualification!

it didn't work for McCain, most women voters saw through his cynical ruse to attract women voters by putting Palin on the ticket

in return he was slaughtered at the polls

Thai men of any colored shirt aren't ready to be ruled over by a women

its just another mistake in a long line of mistakes by Thaksin

It's as if Shakespeare rewrote The Mikado mixed up with Pirates of Penzance, and Tim Burton produced it. Topsey turvydom.

An incestuous Sock Puppet and The Inflated Hand Behind Her Behind, attempting to wrest control of a beleaguered nation in the Orient, from a handsome, intelligent, hardworking and good nature young man, with a slightly bent uncle behind him, assorted generals wanting to keep their perks and stability happening, and a populace that believes anything they are told as long as they get to be lazy.

Assorted noisy cameos and flashbacks to earlier times, from a cast of thousands of bizarre, out of work, character actors, without a shred of moral fiber amongst them. And a total inability to lie convincingly on cue. Back for one more pay day and maybe a rise in pecking order. Et tu Nanke Phu?

Edited by animatic

In my opinion Thailand isn't ready for a female Prime Minister, sadly, but I admire this woman's resolve and respect the enormous personal sacrifices she'll have to make in the coming weeks and months.

I seriously doubt she actually had much option. Chances are she was told that's what she would be doing for the next few months and if, and that's a BIG IF, her party wins, it will bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"

As for "enormous personal sacrifices", I think you may be confusing her 'sacrifice' with someone like The Lady next door. B)

Comment from my Thai Wifes father

"What has Thailand come to when our Red shirt son's will take orders from a Woman"

"We used to be a proud race, what next a Lady boy for PM"

Don't give them ideas. What's the bet that a hitherto unknown "female" member of the Shinawatra family, with a suspiciously square face, turns up one day and is made No. 1 on the PTP list?

"What has Thailand come to when our Red shirt son's will take orders from a Woman"

Maybe it's exactly for that reason why Thailand needs a female Prime Minister? And if a Ladyboy ran for PM, and won, why not? It's not about gender, sexuality or looks that make a good PM, it's her or his actions.

In my opinion Thailand isn't ready for a female Prime Minister, sadly, but I admire this woman's resolve and respect the enormous personal sacrifices she'll have to make in the coming weeks and months.

and she is doing all this out of the goodness of her heart? and she is doing this for free? sacrifice my a**

Maybe it's exactly for that reason why Thailand needs a female Prime Minister? And if a Ladyboy ran for PM, and won, why not? It's not about gender, sexuality or looks that make a good PM, it's her or his actions.

Which is why you want to vote for her because she is cute???

A complete contradiction for earlier posts today.

Now suddenly it's about competence, not cuteness.

She should debate Abhisit to show she is CAPABLE of going one to one with the likes of Hun Sen.

Abhisit will be MUCH nicer to dispute with.

Edited by animatic

JULY 3 ELECTION

Yingluck takes the stage

By Olarn Lertrattanadamrongkul,

Jeerapong Prasertpholkrang

The Nation

30155505-01.jpg

Weeks of speculation ended yesterday when Yingluck Shinawatra won official endorsement from Pheu Thai executives to be the party's prime ministerial candidate.

The 43-year-old business executive and mother of one, then responded to concerns was she is simply a puppet for her elder brother.

She said it was too soon to comment on how she planned to bring about a return of Thaksin, the party's de-facto leader. People would first have to see who won the majority of votes in the general election on July 3.

However, she affirmed that should Pheu Thai form the next government, everyone would receive equal treatment under the law.

When asked about the possibility of Thaksin getting a pardon, Yingluck said Thailand maintained the rule of law. Hence she believed Pheu Thai would not allow anything to be done merely for the sake of one person.

If it were in power, whatever action the party took, it would adhere to the principles of the people's equity and freedoms, she said.

Yingluck insisted she had volunteered to do the top job for the sake of the people, and that she must therefore prioritise benefits for the people.

Asked whether she thought Thaksin's ideas and guidelines for Pheu Thai would lead to the party winning a landslide victory on July 3, she replied that her brother was a man with many good ideas, so it was normal that the party should be open to such ideas.

Emphasising that Pheu Thai would always be open to good ideas, wherever they originated, she said those ideas would be considered by the party as to whether it would implement them, and the results would then be judged by the people.

Talking about reconciliation in the face of current conflicts, Yingluck said she believed everyone wanted to see the country reconciled.

Having had some political experience, she said would use her femininity in taking steps towards reconciliation, and would be willing to exchange ideas and negotiate in order to achieve this goal. She said it was time to overcome conflicts so that the country could move forward again.

Asked whether there would be any problem working for her brother, she said she believed Thais decided which party to vote for partly because of its leader and partly because of its policies.

She said she was confident that Pheu Thai still had a policy that was committed to benefiting the people, and that this would be a major positive factor in its chance at the polls.

Pheu Thai's afternoon meeting, chaired by the party's non-MP leader Yongyuth Wichaidit, voted unanimously to support Yingluck as the No-1 candidate on its party-list, and therefore its candidate for the premiership.

Witthaya Buranasiri, a senior Pheu Thai figure, nominated Yingluck as the party's PM candidate during the meeting. There were no other nominations.

Yingluck arrived at the party's headquarters shortly before 2.30pm, after the vote took place, and was greeted by senior figures and incumbent MPs at the front gate. She was later taken to the seventh floor, where she joined a party meeting. She looked tense at the time and was minus her usual smile.

The moment she entered the meeting room, Yingluck was greeted with loud applause by Pheu Thai's politicians. She went to the podium, where she thanked colleagues for placing her top of the Pheu Thai party-list. She also thanked them for their trust and expressed her readiness to help bring about national reconciliation, vowing not to take revenge against anyone.

Yingluck, a former top executive in the family business empire, said she did not think being a woman was a disadvantage. She said she would focus on economic recovery and improving people's well-being.

Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit tried to dismiss a perception Thaksin had something to do with the decision, saying the choice of Yingluck had been a matter for participants at the meeting. He insisted there had been no outside interference.

The former premier, who escaped a prison term by fleeing overseas, is widely believed to be pulling the strings behind Pheu Thai. He has often issued instructions regarding party affairs during his video-link addresses and, recently, via Skype Internet-based phone calls to party meetings.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who is the Democrat Party leader, congratulated Yingluck on being selected as Pheu Thai's PM candidate. He said the voters would soon decide whether she was to become the country's first female prime minister, as has been forecast by some fortune-tellers.

Deputy Premier Suthep Thaugsuban, in his capacity as the Democrats' secretary-general, said he believed the voters would choose the best person to become PM without looking at the candidates' gender.

Suthep said that between Abhisit and Yingluck, he was convinced the Democrat leader would have an advantage as he had proved his capability as the government head in dealing with the country's crises over the past two years.

"It will be difficult for people to imagine how Khun Yingluck, as prime minister, will solve the country's problems. She may have to listen to distant telephone calls for advice on what to do. This will be like shadow puppetry."

Siripan Noksuan Sawasdee, a political-science lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, warned that the Democrat Party should be careful about attacking Yingluck. She said unfair, serious allegations levelled against Yingluck could backfire and result in sympathy votes for Thaksin's sister.

Yingluck, who turns 44 next month, is the youngest of Thaksin's eight siblings. She married without changing her family name and has a son.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-17

Quote "Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit tried to dismiss a perception Thaksin had something to do with the decision, saying the choice of Yingluck had been a matter for participants at the meeting. He insisted there had been no outside interference."

Did he have a smile or a sneer on his face when he said this :bah:

Edited by Phuket Stan

Quote "Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit tried to dismiss a perception Thaksin had something to do with the decision, saying the choice of Yingluck had been a matter for participants at the meeting. He insisted there had been no outside interference."

Ofcourse there was no outside interference.

Thaksin is the party leader. He interferes from the inside.

Ofcourse there was no outside interference.

Thaksin is the party leader. He interferes from the inside.

jap.gifjap.gifjap.gif