Dangerous Thai Food Labels

happyrobert

How about those Thai language labels they stick on imported foods. You know, the ones that completely obliterate the English Nutritional Info and Ingredients--even when there is plenty of open space to stick it someplace on its own?

Anyone have inside info on this? Is this a law or is some little บastard in the stock room giggling while putting every label on top of the one the "farang" wants to read?

I read one in Thai today that makes it simply dangerous for a non-English reader to buy the product...

Norway has simular thinking whit Thais. If you want to live here learn the language. In Norway all the labels are in Norwegian. If you dont want to intergrate you will have problems.

Geez, people like you amaze me. Typical snotty-I'm-smarter-than-you-TV-reply.

What did I say in my post?

"I read one in Thai today that makes it simply dangerous for a non-English reader to buy the product..."

Now, what were you saying, in all your self-righteous gloating as many on this forum do, about my not learning the language?

And what about newcomers to Thailand? Instant Thai in three easy lessons?

And what about Thai that do not read English and can not see the WARNING on the label in English and it's not there in Thai?

Well? What about it, bud?

And even then you got it wrong. I said Thai labels over English labels on imported products. Not Thai products.

Read first. INTEGRATE words to brain. Comprehend. Then reply.

Tell me...

Edited by happyrobert

and have you ever tried to peel the Thai label off to read the English one underneath?

Super strength industrial glue is used by that little bastard in the stock room.:annoyed:

Edited by lovelaos

Norway has simular thinking whit Thais. If you want to live here learn the language. In Norway all the labels are in Norwegian. If you dont want to intergrate you will have problems.

"I read one in Thai today that makes it simply dangerous for a non-English reader to buy the product..."

Now, what were you saying, in all your self-righteous gloating as many on this forum do, about my not learning the language?

And what about Thai that do not read English and can not see the WARNING on the label in English and it's not there in Thai?

And even then you got it wrong. I said Thai labels over English labels on imported products. Not Thai products.

Tell me...

What was the warning that was not included on the Thai label?

and have you ever tried to peel the Thai label off to read the English one underneath?

Super strength industrial glue is used by that little bastard in the stock room.:annoyed:

I've tried everything. Peeling, scraping, alcohol, soaking in water, ultra-violet light...:rolleyes:

Tell me...

Sorry :sorry:

Tell me...

Sorry :sorry:

Your kind apology is gratefully accepted. Feel free to offer further comments. :D

Tell me...

clap2.gif

'lovelaos' timestamp='1305613030' post='4429517']

Send an e-mail to the manufacturer , they are usually only too pleased to keep things up front and informative , there are additives that can be hazardous to some peoples heath such as peanut of gluten , they may even bring the Thai to task about it , after all is said and done , they are the ones who get sued .

'lovelaos' timestamp='1305613030' post='4429517']

Send an e-mail to the manufacturer , they are usually only too pleased to keep things up front and informative , there are additives that can be hazardous to some peoples heath such as peanut of gluten , they may even bring the Thai to task about it , after all is said and done , they are the ones who get sued .

I think you would be very lucky to get a reply, to an email, unless it was in Thai.

I have a Gluten intolerance. As well as not being able to read Thai, this very question can pose a problem. So if my G/F isn't with me. The little 8astard, has Cost them a sale.

j

On the Glueten issue. I was at a pharmacy counter in an Hospital the other day. Girl asked me if I had any allergies, yes bpeeng-saa-lii (wheat flour) I replied, blank look on face, repeated a couple of times, same blank look, called G/F over explained to her the question. She explains to the girl that I am allergic to bpeeng-saa-lii, which I hear clearly. Girl Ooooh, bpeng-saa-lii, which I also hear clearly. Sorry I know a little :offtopic:

jb1

Tell me...

And what about the Thais that can't read Thai?

The labels are no use to them either.

My main point was that they are annoying as หell and whereas they could, sometimes, be placed in a clear area, are always stuck right on top of the English label.

This prevents people like me and JimBeam from reading info and we do not buy. Lost sales.

My second point was that the Thai is almost always incorrect. They get the fat and protein part okay, but the ingredients are a mess. I have seen wheat called whey, I have seen peanuts called legumes. I have seen high fructose corn syrup--which I refuse to eat--called sugar. When they do not know what an ingredient is, they either make something up, or just forget about it.

The tarter sauce yesterday said in English (I could see that part) REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING. The Thai did not. Being that tarter sauce and mayonaise are likely new taste experiences for many Thai, perhaps they should be told that if they leave it out at 35 degrees for a week, and enjoy a tasty meal, they should have an ambulance on standby.

Nevermind.

:unsure:

just looking at a jar of french's spicey brown mustard,nutrition facts covered,address half covered use by date covered,but i had to ask mrs meat what the ingredents are,this is a case of mai-me-samong.