Meeting Voters More Important Than Debate With Abhisit: Yingluck

webfact

Meeting voters more important than debate with Abhisit: Yingluck

By The Nation

30155666-01.jpg

Yingluck Shinawatra, the Pheu Thai Party's prime ministerial candidate, yesterday expressed her readiness to lead the party's campaigning for the July 3 national polls.

In her first media interview since being declared Pheu Thai's No-1 candidate on its party list, Yingluck told TV Channel 7's evening news programme she was ready to campaign upcountry.

She said meeting eligible voters to inform them about the party's political platform was more important than a debate with incumbent Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, leader of the ruling Democrat Party.

"My first mission will be to visit constituencies and present the party's policies to the people," she said.

Earlier yesterday, Yingluck said she would make up her mind close to polling day whether to debate with Abhisit.

"My priority at this juncture is to meet with my constituents, and on Saturday I will begin my campaign by visiting Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai," she added.

She said that although the Democrats had tried to sling mud at her, she was undeterred and would offer policy choices to voters.

According to a Pheu Thai source, Yingluck is scheduled to register her candidacy as a party-list candidate today.

Tomorrow morning, she is due to campaign at markets in Bangkok, while at the weekend she is scheduled to hit the campaign trail in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun and Phayao.

The source said she would be in Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi on Monday, back in Bangkok on Tuesday, before heading to the Northeast on Wednesday and Thursday, starting with campaign visits to Nakhon Ratchasima, Chaiyaphum, Roi Et and Yasothon.

Yesterday, she took on the mantle of leadership, chairing a party meeting and dangling a flat charge of Bt20 per trip on the electric-train network covering Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Commenting on the allegation that she is a puppet for Thaksin, she said that as a sibling he was her inspiration, but today she and her party were making their own decisions.

Thaksin was involved in drafting campaign policies but the party has the final decision on implementation, she said.

Looking ahead to her job if elected PM, she instructed her party to focus on the mass-transit system in the capital, saying she wanted to ensure a cheap and reliable service for commuters.

Meanwhile, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha refused to comment on Yingluck being in the fray to lead the next government. He said voters would have their say on electing qualified representatives to administer the country.

"Don't try to involve the military in politics," he added, arguing that the rival camps should not allow a repeat of violence to draw soldiers out of their barracks.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-19

she shouldn't encounter any opposition in Chang mai, Chang rai et al

you daren't be anything else but red up there at threat of being killed

(reference: yellow shirt DJ's father murdered by red shirts for making anti red comments)

The best way to reach the public is to debate with Abhisit. She will have to debate with him in parliament if she wins a seat. No better way to let the public know who is best than to have an open debate.

The best way to reach the public is to debate with Abhisit. She will have to debate with him in parliament if she wins a seat. No better way to let the public know who is best than to have an open debate.

If she were capable and confident a confrontation/head to head with Abhisit should be no problem. If I was going for the JOB the best way to get to the public and votes through T.V.

But isn't it ironic she will be going to C/Mai-C/Rai and the NORTH EAST, I wonder why ?? I thought Thaksin had secured these areas, so why not try for the OTHERS. Yinluck is afraid through lack of experience and the truth. She surely would lose face in debate with Abhisit

Shes too scared to have a public debate with him, she knows he will tear strips off of her and make her look like a total fool.

Thats the only reason i can think why the oppositions prime minister candidate would refuse a one-on-one debate with her opposing counterpart.

Absolutely.

She could, at one time in one place, "present the party's policies to the people", and reach tens of millions of these people in a nationally-televised debate.

Just a bogus excuse to cover incompetence.

She said meeting eligible voters to inform them about the party's political platform was more important than a debate with incumbent Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, leader of the ruling Democrat Party.

"My first mission will be to visit constituencies and present the party's policies to the people," she said.

So, rather than appear on TV for a couple of hours and present her policies to millions of people, she wants to spend a couple of days visiting a couple of days presenting her policies to a few thousand people.

:blink:

Commenting on the allegation that she is a puppet for Thaksin, she said that as a sibling he was her inspiration, but today she and her party were making their own decisions.

I suppose that´s why PTP decided (unanimously!) to bring in a political outsider, with no political experience or party involvement to place her ahead of every PTP career politician for the premiership. I mean, that she´s Thaksin´s sister (and perhaps the last close relative of him not banned from politics) has absolutely nothing to do with it, right?

How did that went, the PTP honchos gathered one day to decide who´s going to be top cheese (screw the grassroots, by the way) and among all the dinosaurs, heavy weight, well connected individuals among them they spontaneously said "But of course!, Yingluck!. That´s the ticket".

Perhaps her immediate-concern is to hang-on to TRT/PPP/PTP's remaining supporters, rather than to gain new ones, or win the majority of seats in the coming election ?

Whatever, she'll have to face the press & her political-opponents sometime, when her ability to stand up to the rough-and-tumble of everyday politics will quickly be seen.

Wonder whether there will now be a new slogan, "Yingluck Thinks, and Pheu Thai Does", or will she be content to run with her brother's leadership spellt-out for all to see ? B)

2007-thailand-legislative-provinces.gif

"she is scheduled to hit the campaign trail in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun and Phayao."

She's really playing it safe with that list! Those provinces are pretty much guaranteed to vote Red anyway. She should really campaign in the "swing provinces", like Phitsanolok or Sukhothai or Nakhon Sawan.

^ Since the 2007 election, BMJ has taken quite a few seats away from PPP (now PT) in lower Issan.

Edited by otherstuff1957

most of her voters are in the country, especially the North and Eastern, but her priority is to build a better mass transit for the Bangkokians. Poor voters!

She wouldn't dare to debate with Abhisit, she struggled enough when she declared that she would go for the contest. It's unthinkable, incomparable in every way.

I suppose that´s why PTP decided (unanimously!) to bring in a political outsider, with no political experience or party involvement to place her ahead of every PTP career politician for the premiership. I mean, that she´s Thaksin´s sister (and perhaps the last close relative of him not banned from politics) has absolutely nothing to do with it, right?

How did that went, the PTP honchos gathered one day to decide who´s going to be top cheese (screw the grassroots, by the way) and among all the dinosaurs, heavy weight, well connected individuals among them they spontaneously said "But of course!, Yingluck!. That´s the ticket".

"making her own decision" doesn't wash with Thaksin calling his own sister, "his clone".

Clones don't make independent decisions.

Just a bogus excuse to cover incompetence.

You simply don't know that.It could be true but one can't know at this stage.

We will know one way or the other , or at least have a clearer sense, quite shortly as the campaign progresses.

Edited by jayboy

She has her head screwed on. Go and see the people face to face as Thai's like. She will get heaps of publicity from the local TV stations and media outlets, newspapers, magazines and the like, currently world wide. Then she can debate all she wants to at a later time and get more media exposure as she is currently getting. I think she is going down the right track as most other western countries do to get their points across, before debating.

Of course she's nervous. Hows she going to compete agains't a known politician. Remember when Carolyn Kennedy was asked to run for the Senate to replace her Uncle Ted. She barely got out of the gate and gave it up. She said she wasn't willing to put up with all the bs it takes to win a political election and she certainly wasn't qualified to fill his shoes. Neither was her brother John. Sooo. If those two couldn't step up, you know politics don't run in family dna. It takes a certain type to be good at it and I'm guessing it isn't her. Although she would sure look good for Thailands image. :)

that's certainly exploitable and maybe it will be. She's running scared, a coward with not enough spine to put her mouth where her money is. Run to Chieng Mai and Chieng Rai, that's pretty far from Bangkok. This is good for Abhisit if he uses it for what it is. This is politics, no need for being polite, as long as it's the truth. My humble opinion, ahh who am I kidding, it's all true. :huh:

"making her own decision" doesn't wash with Thaksin calling his own sister, "his clone".

Clones don't make independent decisions.

Well, actually they do.

When they are separated, there's the rub.

that's certainly exploitable and maybe it will be. She's running scared, a coward with not enough spine to put her mouth where her money is. Run to Chieng Mai and Chieng Rai, that's pretty far from Bangkok. This is good for Abhisit if he uses it for what it is. This is politics, no need for being polite, as long as it's the truth. My humble opinion, ahh who am I kidding, it's all true. :huh:

Somethings run in that particular family

In management consulting we call it picking the low hanging fruit.

She wants to get a few victories under her belt before facing anythign difficult; remember Peua Thai is rather unstable at the moment with several factions not entirely convinced that she should be the leader; they will go ahead and win their regional faction areas anyhow but will they be willing to invest heavily in promoting the party? Will they stay? Do they believe she can bring them victory? She needs to look good early on, otherwise she's dead on arrival internally.

Also, a pretty face and looking quite ok on paper (well compared to the Shinawatra kids or some of the other relatives) means media will be on her side for a little while.

Given her trackrecord in business I would strongly question whether she has the skills and experience to run a country, when her role in business most of the time has been as an agent rather than her own boss, just from what I've seen.

However, Peua Thai for all their bluster, are really only the 'bring back Thaksin at all costs' party so it should not be a particular surprise that only a trusted nominee of the party boss who is banned from politics and isn't even in the country can override any concerns or suggestions of his party.... democracy inaction indeed!

Edited by steveromagnino

tony blair in the uk (who was a good speaker) always turned down live election debates.

You know why?

because he had the election in the bag already..

maybe its yinglucks reason also???

Highly unlikely. Since she has no ideas of her own, there is nothing to be gained by Thaksin putting her up for debate. Debate what exactly? A lose-lose for Thaksin.

I wonder if she has the intestinal fortitude to campaign in the south?

TRT, PPP and PTP candidates get to without violent harassment ,

in contrast to Dems, BJP and others getting to without harassment up north.

She wants to get a few victories under her belt before facing anythign difficult; remember Peua Thai is rather unstable at the moment with several factions not entirely convinced that she should be the leader; they will go ahead and win their regional faction areas anyhow but will they be willing to invest heavily in promoting the party? Will they stay? Do they believe she can bring them victory? She needs to look good early on, otherwise she's dead on arrival internally.

Also, a pretty face and looking quite ok on paper (well compared to the Shinawatra kids or some of the other relatives) means media will be on her side for a little while.

Given her trackrecord in business I would strongly question whether she has the skills and experience to run a country, when her role in business most of the time has been as an agent rather than her own boss, just from what I've seen.

However, Peua Thai for all their bluster, are really only the 'bring back Thaksin at all costs' party so it should not be a particular surprise that only a trusted nominee of the party boss who is banned from politics and isn't even in the country can override any concerns or suggestions of his party.... democracy inaction indeed!

Indeed dy do!

Nice post as always.

The one thing I am playing around with (in my mind) is whether the swing group (Newin and Banharn) have already struck deals with both sides. To do this and make it acceptable to Prayuth, they would have to have included him in their discussions.

Do you see any possibility that the PTP can take over the government as a political party (i.e. loyal to what we can't discuss and without Yingluck as PM or Thaksin involved) with the blessing of the military?

Its a tough one, but my thoughts with Thai politics is normally to look for the compromise.

Banharn definitely both sides.

From what I understand, Peua Thai could only strike a deal with BJT if Thaksin was not involved.... which is why I originally had thought there was a chance that another faction would take over the party 4-5 months ago when Thaksin had really faded. Thaksin has a personal issue of feeling betrayed by Newin, and you saw that in the deliberate attack on on of BJT's backers KingPower during the red shirt occupation in I think 2009 and then again in 2010 which we can assume was conducted with Thaksin's blessing - assuming we ignore the whole real fake red shirts thing.

BJT have a lot less to gain in striking a deal with PT anyhow; BJT is a medium sized regional rural powerhouse who can allow the Dems to reduce their marketing budget for Surin/Buriram/southern Isaan etc and there is little cross over between the voters backing the two parties; however PT and BJT are a lot more similar and will spend considerable sums in both legit marketing of their parties and most likely the 'night of the howling dogs' style spending as well, so the cost to win seats against PT, then do a deal with PT and be after most of the same ministerial portfolios would be more problematic.

If you recall, CT previously stated pre 2007 they would NOT do a deal with PT and then changed their minds; so they are probably the party most similar to a lady of the night who will do anyone for a price (slight sidetrack, a wily politician once asked a newsreader, would she sleep with him if he bought her a house, boat and a 10 carrat ring plus 10 million baht, to which she replied yes. When he then said could he sleep with her for 2,000b she replied haughtily, what do you think I am some sort of curry prostitute? To which he said, madam that's already established, now we are just negotiating on price). CT will do and go with whoever, and that's why Banharn and the other similar faction leader Sanoh are friends with everyone. Thaksin's success rested on lining all these old codgers up into his party. It's not so easy to do now.

Newin has bigger plans I think, and he knows he is going in as king maker for this election; his will be a sizeable block of seats and with that, the ability to either completely hold PT to ransom (who won't want to pay) or to make the Dems pay again and get exactly what he wants plus the legitimacy to push for a big job when the 5 years is up in future.

I don't really see PT forming a govt without it being a coalition; however let's bear in mind:

2006 election - TRT caught blatantly rigging an election

2007 election - PPP caught cheating multiple times

Whether some of the regional constituents of PT many of whom aren't exactly sunlight suds clean in their electioneering can help themselves from cheating again we shall have to see. Without cheating, I am unsure they will be anywhere near enough to form a single party majority as Chalerm stated they would need to do.

Edited by steveromagnino