PAD Slams Pheu Thai's Party-List Line-Up

webfact

PAD Slams Pheu Thai's Party-list Line-up

The People's Alliance for Democracy has slammed the Pheu Thai Party for placing red-shirt leaders on the upper positions among party-list MP candidates, saying the practice is obviously intended to protect those people from being charged via parliamentary immunity.

People's Alliance for Democracy spokesperson Panthep Puapongpan said he was worried with the line-up of party-list MP candidates of the Pheu Thai Party as a score of key red-shirt figures are put on the first 20-30 places.

He pointed out the list is aimed to help the red-shirt leaders evade criminal charges through a parliamentary immunity MPs are entitled to.

He noted the practice exhibits close ties between the red-shirt elements and the Pheu Thai Party, adding it is worrisome that an amnesty could be issued only for ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Panthep went on to say the army chief should take a tough stand over those facing charges brought by the army before they possibly rise to power in the next administration.

But Panthep's suggestion is that the “Vote No” campaign can be an important tool for members of the public to negotiate with Pheu Thai MPs and this way out will not harm the country.

Meanwhile, PAD coordinator Prapan Khunmee stated the upcoming poll is a way to clear criminal offenses of both the pro-Thaksin people and the Democrat Party.

This is because the Pheu Thai Party aims to safeguard red-shirt members by putting them on upper positions among the party-list candidates and help Thaksin to get away with previous misdeeds.

He went on to say the Democrat Party was not good as government as it failed to take a tough stand against the anti-monarchy and terrorism movements and even failed to protect the Kingdom's sovereignty.

Prapan suggested voters to cast “No“ vote as this is the best way to teach politicians a lesson and could lead to a political reform.

Another PAD leader Major General Chamlong Srimuang said the “Vote No” campaign was initiated as the Abhisit government failed to exhibit an intention to protect the sovereignty of the country.

He added the campaign is intended to show that people do not support bad politicians who harm the nation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-20

footer_n.gif

How exactly does NOT voting in a democratic election accomplish anything?

It was an extremely effective tool when the Dems used it. It won't be when the NPP/PAD uses it.

It was an extremely effective tool when the Dems used it. It won't be when the NPP/PAD uses it.

So if the PAD use it it is to be condemned but when the entire Democratic party boycott an election they are not to be castigated for it - and that is your definition of an "effective tool" in what is supposed to be a democracy?

So if the PAD use it it is to be condemned but when the entire Democratic party boycott an election they are not to be castigated for it - and that is your definition of an "effective tool" in what is supposed to be a democracy?

Not choosing to contest an election is the right of any party and can't really be criticized for that reason. Sure, it goes against the spirit of Democracy but upholding that spirit in this country is something of an extremist standpoint, and can garner only the odd gut-laugh if applied to a party called the Democrats.

let's not forget the critical details here, the Dems (and every other non TRT party just to make a convincing point) boycotted the April 2006 elections because Thaksin called it on 30 days notice with the simple intention of re-asserting his mandate in the face of massive discontent with his ethics. Such an election would simply entrench the incumbent further, since it's too short notice for the parties to raise funds, plan and undertake a campaign.

"Condemned"? Who? Where?

Laughed at, is more likely.

I am a green shirt follower.....I love the army......sice there are no decent and capable politicians in this country....the people should either call for a coup by the army to teach those politicans a lesson or better still....vote a no vote at the elections to make a point that they hate the politicians and are sick with them and instead say loudly that they prefer the army to rule....at least would provide a base for satbility for a while an let there be economic growth. Off course it will be a PR nightmare to convince other countries and the international scenes that this is for the best.

Thailand is not ready for democarcy....there are no good and decent politicans or political parties and the whole value system is in a mess. Plus , most of the locals here are not yet properly evolved to vote...not only the poor who sell their vote but also the corrupted rich who sell their votes for benefits.

I am a green shirt follower.....I love the army......sice there are no decent and capable politicians in this country....the people should either call for a coup by the army to teach those politicans a lesson or better still....vote a no vote at the elections to make a point that they hate the politicians and are sick with them and instead say loudly that they prefer the army to rule....at least would provide a base for satbility for a while an let there be economic growth. Off course it will be a PR nightmare to convince other countries and the international scenes that this is for the best.

Thailand is not ready for democarcy....there are no good and decent politicans or political parties and the whole value system is in a mess. Plus , most of the locals here are not yet properly evolved to vote...not only the poor who sell their vote but also the corrupted rich who sell their votes for benefits.

The army don't know how to run a country.

PAD & Dems; I've got one word for you when you both start whinging about red shirts on the party list: KASIT PIROMYA!!!!

The difference being that Kasit wasn't put on the Democrat party list to avoid criminal charges. He didn't get up on stage a suggest for people to "burn Bangkok".

He was also long time foreign diplomat (even winning an award from Thaksin).

PAD & Dems; I've got one word for you when you both start whinging about red shirts on the party list: KASIT PIROMYA!!!!

The difference being that Kasit wasn't put on the Democrat party list to avoid criminal charges. He didn't get up on stage a suggest for people to "burn Bangkok".

He should be facing criminal charges.

would it make a difference?

why the double standards?

your cowardly mentor has been convicted of criminal charges but ran way .........

Take a look at the education qualification of the illustrious military elite of which you speak. Their mentality and attitudes are that of children, god forbid they lose face.. They have to do the Military shuffle every so often because one of em gets their camouflage panties in a wad and order assaults against other countries to gain credibility when its coup time, again. So the leaders then replace the hot head with the next one. And so on and so on! Or was this one of those BS posts to draw a reaction? Never know now?

let's not forget the critical details here, the Dems (and every other non TRT party just to make a convincing point) boycotted the April 2006 elections because Thaksin called it on 30 days notice with the simple intention of re-asserting his mandate in the face of massive discontent with his ethics. Such an election would simply entrench the incumbent further, since it's too short notice for the parties to raise funds, plan and undertake a campaign.

It also was making the point to the public that TRT didn't have the massive total population behind them that they had been trying to claim. If you run unopposed, then you must win 20% or higher of the voters. If not, by election. The Dems made it clear TRT didn't have the huge base they claimed, and TRT got caught 'serial cheating' from the top down, because THEY were clearly worried about making 20% in many constituencies.

Which is what happened.

1) Dems didn't participate in the Thaksin whitewash of tax avoidance and selling national asets

2) showed TRT as a lot weaker and with less mandate that they proclaimed

3) made a perfectly clear field for TRT to cheat on and get caught.

The tit for tat attempt at reverse charging the dems fo allegedly paying off small parties to not run against TRT and cause the 20% was not even slightly proved, and people were jailed for perjury, if memory serves, for that effort.

PAD on the other hand is trying for no more than a protest vote at the expense of the Dems who haven't been their friend as many thought they would be. But the 20% rule won't apply and it might hand the larger margin to PTP, and that may also be the plan, in a bid to have another coup and finish off Thaksins players for good. Madness of course, but the desperation at PAD is palpable.

Ahhhhhhhh, Deez....

For a while, I thought only the Thais in Thailand fail to differential the major difference between

"NO VOTE" vs "VOTE NO"

I hope you can see clearly that the casting of "VOTE NO" means you exercise your voting right at the poll by expressively choosing NOT TO CHOOSE ANY ONE ON THE BALLOT.

The right to choose or not to choose anyone is guaranteed by the Thai Constitutions.

Whereas the NO VOTE means that you are not going to exercise your voting rights under the constitutions which as you can see, differs significantly from to "VOTE NO" in the voting booth.

Most people around here are going to VOTE NO as a means to express their feelings of A NO CONFIDENCE VOTE in the govt which is quite similar to casting a no confidence vote in the western countries, in the upcoming Thai election. I humbly submit. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhhh, Deez....

For a while, I thought only the Thais in Thailand fail to differential the major difference between

"NO VOTE" vs "VOTE NO"

I hope you can see clearly that the casting of "VOTE NO" means you exercise your voting right at the poll by expressively choosing NOT TO CHOOSE ANY ONE ON THE BALLOT.

The right to choose or not to choose anyone is guaranteed by the Thai Constitutions.

Whereas the NO VOTE means that you are not going to exercise your voting rights under the constitutions which as you can see, differs significantly from to "VOTE NO" in the voting booth.

Most people around here are going to VOTE NO as a means to express their feelings of A NO CONFIDENCE VOTE in the govt which is quite similar to casting a no confidence vote in the western countries, in the upcoming Thai election. I humbly submit. :rolleyes:

Sorry for my ignorance but isn't there a law that requires all Thais to vote or they will not get there "social security". Or did staff just get another holiday?

Edited for crappy grammer

Edited by FOODLOVER

Sorry for my ignorance but isn't there a law that requires all Thais to vote or they will not get there "social security".

The absent voter may lose certain political rights, e.g. the right to propose legislation, impeach ministers or hold political positions.

3.26 Compulsory voting is practised in some form in Thailand, Singapore and Fiji. However, as is the trend across the globe, sanctions are enforced to a varying degree. In Thailand, compulsory voting was introduced via the 1997 constitution. Under the Thai system, if a person fails to vote, they will lose their political rights, for example the right to propose legislation, impeach ministers or hold political positions. However, the British Embassy reports that there is low public awareness of what political rights people risk losing if they fail to vote.

Electoral Commission Compulsory voting.pdf

"Condemned"? Who? Where?

Laughed at, is more likely.

I didn't "condemn" the PAD/NPP (who are still involved in in-fighting on this issue) --- I stated it won't be an effective tool. They won't have the backing/support in local constituencies to call the 20% rule into effect. (I could be wrong about that in Nakhon Pathom ... but I think the Dems or some other party will still be able to garner 20% of the vote!) The reason it worked for the Dems is that they are a party with significant strongholds that made the 20% rule work and nullified the sham of an election that Thaksin called years early to try and shore up the image of his support.

Well it doesn't matter, in a country where:

you can buy a vote for 200 Baht

you can buy MPs after the election

you can buy complete parties

I understand that the PAD says, it does not matter which of the animals you vote for, they are all the same corrupt. So vote No. But I can not see how it should improve anything.

Sorry for my ignorance but isn't there a law that requires all Thais to vote or they will not get there "social security".

The absent voter may lose certain political rights, e.g. the right to propose legislation, impeach ministers or hold political positions.

3.26 Compulsory voting is practised in some form in Thailand, Singapore and Fiji. However, as is the trend across the globe, sanctions are enforced to a varying degree. In Thailand, compulsory voting was introduced via the 1997 constitution. Under the Thai system, if a person fails to vote, they will lose their political rights, for example the right to propose legislation, impeach ministers or hold political positions. However, the British Embassy reports that there is low public awareness of what political rights people risk losing if they fail to vote.

Electoral Commission Compulsory voting.pdf

Thank youjap.gif Wow very interesting!. I Did not know the laws in these countries. This would be a great debate,No? Great PDF Reference

Edited by FOODLOVER

That's two words! :rolleyes:

Other than the fact he never called for burning Bangkok to the ground....

Doesn't he face criminal charges?

Edited by samurai