Proof Of Residence, Korat Thai Immigration

mario299

Mods, feel free to move to Motoring Forum but I am looking for Issan residents with personal experience at doing this.

Here's the situation. My one year Thai driving license expires June 8 and I want to go to Land Transport June 9 for new 5 year license. I have searched all the info on the forum and know what I need for paperwork but I want to get the Proof of Residence done by sending the form I downloaded on the Motoring Forum to Thai Immigration in Korat.

So I called them on Friday to ask if I can do and how I should pay them the 500 baht fee. "Can't do...must come here". Then I go to Land Transport office in Prasat (where I got the one year license), she's very busy and will only say "same, same last time, go to Immigration for form".

So..please..anyone...have you actually done the Proof of Residence by mail. I am due to go for 90 day report on June 20, so I could wait until then and do it all at once but I will be driving illegally from June 8 to June 21 that way, how about my insurance if something were to happen?? Same situation about the mobile trip Thai Immigration does monthly to Surin and Buriram, they will be in Buriram on June14, so I could do it that way, but I want to do it without making the 300 km round-trip to Korat or the 150 km to Buriram if possible.

I have decided that I will take care of the Tambien Ban at Korat on my next visit June 20th, so I don't have to deal with the Proof of Residence so much, but that's a completely different kettle of fish, I know.

Thanks in advance!

mario299 :(

Are you working in Thailand? Work permit is an acceptable proof of residence.

You can renew your driving licence anywhere. With that in mind you could go to Buriram transport office to renew. There they accept a residence letter from the local Police.

Stop fighting the system, and get the letter at the Korat Immigration. You cannot do it by mail.

Barry

Barry,

Not trying to fight the system, trying to avoid a long, possibly unnecessary drive. That's all.

Poochuay

Are you working in Thailand? Work permit is an acceptable proof of residence.

You can renew your driving licence anywhere. With that in mind you could go to Buriram transport office to renew. There they accept a residence letter from the local Police.

Poochuay

Am on a Retirement Visa so no work permit. My local Transport office (Prasat) seems to insist on Proof of Residence from Immigration, I'm just trying to get this by mail instead of driving to Korat, that's all.

Thanks to both, though

You have one other alternative, you can go to you Embassy in Bangkok and they will be happy to give you a Certificate of Residence once you pay whatever fee they want

But if you won't listen to Korat Immigration why say " Can't do...must come here" and Land Transport Department who say " same, same last time, go to Immigration for form"

Why do you think anyone here at TV is going to magically come up with some way to get a Residence Certificate by mail

I think the appropriate word is obtuse

You have one other alternative, you can go to you Embassy in Bangkok and they will be happy to give you a Certificate of Residence once you pay whatever fee they want

But if you won't listen to Korat Immigration why say " Can't do...must come here" and Land Transport Department who say " same, same last time, go to Immigration for form"

Why do you think anyone here at TV is going to magically come up with some way to get a Residence Certificate by mail

Wow, thanks for your great help. I'm trying to save myself a 300 km drive to Korat and back so you suggest a 900 km round-tripper to the Embassy in Bangkok, paying them God-knows what fees instead of the 500 baht fee at Immigration. Then you insult me by calling me obtuse and say I am asking TV members for some magic???

Just bored today and wanted to show everyone how clever you are?

Thanks for nothing.

My neighbor works in imigrasjonen, I'll ask her, wait .......... Ok back.

Imigration do not send by mail. She says that many traffic stations accept a certificate of residence from the Amphur.

Thank you very much for going to the trouble of asking your neighbor. I was afraid that this was the answer, but was hoping I could save myself the long drive, particularly since I must do it again on the 20th of June anyway.

Your courtesy is greatly appreciated, I guess I will just have to make the drive.

mario299 :jap:

A answer to your other question, who nobody answered, becarefull of driving yourself or better DON'T. If you cause a accident, a Thai is, can be in trouble, A farang is always in trouble, a farang without a licence is in deep shit. So please try to find someone who can drive you down.

My girlfriend doesn't want me to drive at all, and i have a international drivinglicence and be a trucker, just because of the enormous fines and pay offs of familys.

Her son hit a child a couple of months back, driving without a licence and insurance, 225.000 bath.

so becare full son.

Chock dee.

It is smart-arse obtuse answers like this that act as a barrier to TV members asking questions.

I think the OP is perfectly entitled to ask if he can achieve his objective by post rather than mail.

People like Langsuan Man should offer constructive advice or go and crawl in the corner and die.

A answer to your other question, who nobody answered, becarefull of driving yourself or better DON'T. If you cause a accident, a Thai is, can be in trouble, A farang is always in trouble, a farang without a licence is in deep shit. So please try to find someone who can drive you down.

My girlfriend doesn't want me to drive at all, and i have a international drivinglicence and be a trucker, just because of the enormous fines and pay offs of familys.

Her son hit a child a couple of months back, driving without a licence and insurance, 225.000 bath.

so becare full son.

Chock dee.

Why no one responded to it, because if you have a valid driver's license so you MUST know this.

so becare full son.

Chock dee.

Why no one responded to it, because if you have a valid driver's license so you MUST know this.

Thanks for the good replies, and thank you Cardholder for your opinion of posts like that one I got from Langsuan Man, it gets a little frustrating sometimes. I think I will just take care of my tambien ban (yellow book) and be done with this kind of problem. Khop khun mak mak.

so becare full son.

Chock dee.

Thanks for the good replies, and thank you Cardholder for your opinion of posts like that one I got from Langsuan Man, it gets a little frustrating sometimes. I think I will just take care of my tambien ban (yellow book) and be done with this kind of problem. Khop khun mak mak.

Some land offices (Surin) are not accepting the yellow book anymore. A friend just tried to renew his license and was told will not accept need letter of Rediency. This also when he brought his new motorcycle, wiould not accept yellow book...and that was Bangkok land office......

Agree, but i would try the office at Prakhon Chai, i find them more friendly than buriram and note , you can do you`re `90 day report at chong chom...

You can renew your driving licence anywhere. With that in mind you could go to Buriram transport office to renew. There they accept a residence letter from the local Police. Agree, but i would try the office at Prakhon Chai, i find them more friendly than buriram and note , you can do you`re `90 day report at chong chom...

Rizla Thanks, I might just try Prakhon Chai, that's a good suggestion and much closer. I also did know about 90 day report at Chong Chom, appreciate the reminder.

mario299 :rolleyes:

Some offices (Surin) are not accepting the yellow book anymore. A friend just tried to renew his license and was told will not accept need letter of Rediency. This also when he brought his new motorcycle, wiould not accept yellow book...and that was Bangkok land office......

He ended up going to Sangkha and got his lcence there with his Yellow Book.

Yet another example of one office doing different from others but TIT!