Thaksin Says Sister May Not Become PM Even If Pheu Thai Wins

webfact

The member of the Parliament decide and the head of state endorses a new PM.

For the pedantic:

<snipped wiki quote>

Meanwhile the people will not make the direct decision who become the PM they still have a big influence on the final outcome with electing the members of the House of Representatives.

Meanwhile Thaksin will not make the direct decision who becomes the PM he still can influence the final outcome with suggesting who should be the PTP nominee for the office.

The people know that and have now the choice to vote for PTP or someone else.

You would be surprised how many red shirt supporters DON'T know that.

How often do you see "Abhisit shouldn't be PM because he wasn't elected by the people"?

Perhaps the whole Thai election system needs to be reformed? I heard the Democrats talk about that a few months ago, that the PM should be elected by the popular vote, instead of the MP's electing the PM. It works well in most countries around the world, why not in Thailand? It would surely kill the argument that the majority didn't get their voices heard But I guess they dropped that idea after they found out that the majority of Thais don't support the Democrats.

Your last statement is not a certainty.

No legislation, let alone a major revamp to how the PM is selected, can be initiated by a caretaker government.

oh, and

:welcomeani::signthaivisa:

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he just sees her as somewhat of an honest person, and is fearful that she will actually try to keep true to her campaign promises- then crack when she realizes she can't do it.

Truth is Yinluck has told her brother that she is not up to the job.. she liked her easy run at AIS, where she had to do nothing but smile and keep looking pretty, when this woman shakes her head, it makes a noise similar to shaking a referees whistle... and that noise is made by a pea... she is about as bright as her two nieces whos father had to bribe officials to gain their entry to Uni... Beautiful sure, but completely brain-dead.. she should be a blond..!!

Then why in fact is this forum called Thailand NEWS?

Ummmm .... because it's NEWS about THAILAND.

Yesterday, the Nation reported on a Matichon interview with Thaksin. TV posted that news article as they post other Nation news articles, or AFP news articles, or various other sources news articles. News articles related to Thailand.

The Nation didn't indicate the date of the Matichon interview. Maybe someone (who can read Thai) can find the interview on Matichon and find out when they say they interview took place.

All we have (in English) so far is Thaksin tweeting that the interview took place before Yingluck was "appointed".

Ummm............I think a News forum should check it's sources before posting,not?

Or should the name changed to Thailand unconfirmed News.

And? What is your point?

My point is:

How often do you see "Abhisit shouldn't be PM because he wasn't elected by the people"?

And? Now you are repeating yourself. Still not clear why you are telling me that.

Do you think that you are much smarter? Or what is your point?

You get things so often wrong. Work on that before bitching about the a lack of knowledge of your imaginary friends who aren't even here in this thread.

So they are dumb people. What you suggest. Catch and neuter them and strip of their voting rights?

I didn't suggest that. They've just never bothered to find out how the system works and just listen to "But he wasn't elected by the people" propaganda.

This is a very tired comment, but it seems that explanation is needed yet again.Most people understand the parliamentary system and that Prime Ministers like Somchai,Samak and Abhisit emerged through the system without facing the electorate (other than their own constituency of course).The legality of their position was not and is not being disputed.However in parliamentary systems it is as a matter of convention necessary for a PM to obtain a popular mandate in a reasonable time.Otherwise people will complain justifiably he has no popular mandate or is scared of being judged by the electorate.

As a matter of fact, whatever the redshirts say, I don't think Abhisit falls into this category since he is facing the electorate within a reasonable time.In the UK however Gordon Brown, another PM who emerged through the system. definitely lost political credibility for not facing the electorate until the last moment.It's a matter of judgement and context.In the case of Abhisit I think the unease rests more on how he was guided through by the elite, the rigged military constitution, the directed court decisions, the highly dubious party dissolutions etc etc.Again I differ from the redshirts since I believe that Abhisit while reliant on elite support including the military is more of his own man than the conventional wisdom suggests.

But spare us the patronising lecture on how the parliamentary system works.I think most understand it very well.

Maybe he just sees her as somewhat of an honest person, and is fearful that she will actually try to keep true to her campaign promises- then crack when she realizes she can't do it.

Truth is Yinluck has told her brother that she is not up to the job.. she liked her easy run at AIS, where she had to do nothing but smile and keep looking pretty, when this woman shakes her head, it makes a noise similar to shaking a referees whistle... and that noise is made by a pea... she is about as bright as her two nieces whos father had to bribe officials to gain their entry to Uni... Beautiful sure, but completely brain-dead.. she should be a blond..!!

I am always amazed by the kind of arguments some people use to rant about the intelligence of others. (assuming it are not just some kids who cracked the parental lock)

<snip>

But spare us the patronising lecture on how the parliamentary system works.I think most understand it very well.

If you read back, it wasn't me that was explaining how the system works (for once).

I don't think most understand it. Otherwise there wouldn't be the constant "Abhisit wasn't elected by the people" comments.

Sure, Abhisit doesn't have a "popular mandate", but neither did Samak or Somchai. Thaksin didn't have a "popular mandate" the first time around, and only got it the second time by buying in the smaller parties into the TRT. That doesn't seem to bother most red shirt supporters.

A "popular mandate" is only relevant when governments want to make major changes. Even getting 51% of the vote doesn't give governments a "popular mandate". Anyway, "popular mandate" is just a political term. It's doesn't really mean anything.

A government is made up of the majority of MPs. With that, they can legally make whatever changes to laws etc that they want. They don't need a "popular mandate" to do that.

And? What is your point?

My point is:

And? Now you are repeating yourself. Still not clear why you are telling me that.

Do you think that you are much smarter? Or what is your point?

You get things so often wrong. Work on that before bitching about the a lack of knowledge of your imaginary friends who aren't even here in this thread.

Sorry ... if you can't see the point in those two sentences, I can't do anything else to explain it.

That makes sense. OK, keep the wolves away from your sister and let them attack somebody else in your party. At the same time, your sister will continue to become more popular so that when the time comes, you can install your sister as PM and she would have been saved from the slander. Good luck to you Thaksin. I have read some articles about education in Thailand and the current management seems to be lost.

Well ok let's not scarify my sister, let scarify someoneelse in case democrats attack. This is what is called family value

:realangry: :realangry:

Did you vote Bush by any chance?

That makes sense. OK, keep the wolves away from your sister and let them attack somebody else in your party. At the same time, your sister will continue to become more popular so that when the time comes, you can install your sister as PM and she would have been saved from the slander. Good luck to you Thaksin. I have read some articles about education in Thailand and the current management seems to be lost.

Well ok let's not scarify my sister, let scarify someoneelse in case democrats attack. This is what is called family value

:realangry: :realangry:

Did you vote Bush by any chance?

Are you American by any chance?

For the pedantic:

<snipped wiki quote>

Meanwhile the people will not make the direct decision who become the PM they still have a big influence on the final outcome with electing the members of the House of Representatives.

Meanwhile Thaksin will not make the direct decision who becomes the PM he still can influence the final outcome with suggesting who should be the PTP nominee for the office.

Perhaps the whole Thai election system needs to be reformed? I heard the Democrats talk about that a few months ago, that the PM should be elected by the popular vote, instead of the MP's electing the PM. It works well in most countries around the world, why not in Thailand? It would surely kill the argument that the majority didn't get their voices heard But I guess they dropped that idea after they found out that the majority of Thais don't support the Democrats.

I am not sure what reality you live in, but in most countries that has a PM the PM is NOT directly elected by the people. That position is called 'president'.

And that includes all the nations with highest democracy index-results in thew world (go back some threads and find the list).

This makes a mockery of the Thai Politics

If Yingluck gets in her brother will still pull the strings.

It will be Thaksin all over again.

It will be interesting to see how the Democrats go.

Now Thaksin has shown his true hand in this political debate.

Hope people vote sensibly not for Thaksin's party the Pheu Thai.

He is hoping to get a pardon if the Pheu Thai win.:bah:

I am not sure what reality you live in, but in most countries that has a PM the PM is NOT directly elected by the people. That position is called 'president'.

And that includes all the nations with highest democracy index-results in thew world (go back some threads and find the list).

Everyone lives in a little reality of its own. And we are here in Thailand.

I think the talk is about this proposal

Voters should elect the PM, academic says

But nobody feels ever really positive about the ideas of the leading academic Prof Sombat Thamrongthanyawong B)

BEING UPDATED

Yingluck not PM's choice: Thaksin

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that his sister, Yingluck Shinawatra, would not become the next prime minister even if the Pheu Thai Party wins the election.

In an exclusive interview with Matichon, Thaksin said he feared that Yingluck would be attacked and destroyed by the Democrat if she became the government leader.

Thaksin said he was considering several PM choices, including Mingkwan Saengsuwan, Pracha Promnok and Yongyuth Wichaidit as well as a few other outsiders.

Following are excerpts from his interview given to Matichon:

Yingluck is Pheu Thai's No-1 party-list candidate. So, you have decided to make her the next prime minister?

I am thinking about it. The prime minister does not need to be No-1 party-list candidate. I am thinking about it back and forth. First of all, Thai politicians are bent on destroying rivals. Anyone who becomes the government leader will be destroyed. Both true and untrue stories will be cited to try to destroy the government leader. So, I feel sorry for my sister and she is a woman. She is good at administration and she sued to run AIS and run a firm with Bt200 billion worth of assets. But running a firm is different from running a government.

I believe when she becomes the prime minister, she will definitely be destroyed by the Democrat. So, I am worried whether she will be able to tolerate it. … I am confident she can be a very capable prime minister because she has more administration experience more than Abhisit [Vejjajiva, the Democrat leader].

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-23

A pardon? For the victory? :rolleyes:

A pardon? For the victory? :rolleyes:

Of course she will become PM it's just a ploy to confuse TVF people.

What an amazing country Thailand is! A man who was convicted on criminal charges can dictate the person he wants to be the priminister. Police and public officials get away

with fraud, extortion, blackmail murder, and fraud, with the exception of foreigners at least the ones who cannot afford to pay off the representatives of the government. I do not

understand (and I am quite confident that the existing government in place now knows exactly where Taksin is at) why they just don't go a pick him up, handcuff him, throw him on an

airplane and bring him back and put him in the grey bar hotel with the rest of the criminals they have locked up..

Has Yingluck been informed about this? I mean, she is still busy campaigning touting herself as the next PM and throwing around all those promises what she is going to do once she's attained the country's top post.

Considering the Shinawatras made their fortune by running telecom companies, communications seems to be sadly lacking between the two siblings.

I am not surprised, AIS drops about half of all my calls, probably Thaksin gave her a call, but since the conversation

required more than 2 minutes, he could never finish it.

Ummm............I think a News forum should check it's sources before posting,not?

Or should the name changed to Thailand unconfirmed News.

Is the news that they posted incorrect?

Yes it is definitely incorrect

Following are excerpts from his interview given to Matichon:

Yingluck is Pheu Thai's No-1 party-list candidate. So, you have decided to make her the next prime minister?

I am thinking about it. The prime minister does not need to be No-1 party-list candidate. I am thinking about it back and forth. First of all, Thai politicians are bent on destroying rivals. Anyone who becomes the government leader will be destroyed. Both true and untrue stories will be cited to try to destroy the government leader. So, I feel sorry for my sister and she is a woman. She is good at administration and she sued to run AIS and run a firm with Bt200 billion worth of assets. But running a firm is different from running a government.

I believe when she becomes the prime minister, she will definitely be destroyed by the Democrat. So, I am worried whether she will be able to tolerate it. … I am confident she can be a very capable prime minister because she has more administration experience more than Abhisit [Vejjajiva, the Democrat leader].

nationlogo.jpg

This part of the news post does clearly indicate that the interview was made AFTER he appointed her as No-1 candidate of PTP,which according to other sources was not at the time of the interview.

Please let me know if you need some more clarifications.

you must be a really nice person, if you truly believe that?

Hardly news is it?

THis government has made their bed and will at least for a while - have to lie in it.They came to power by way of a coup. Far from attempting reconciliation or establishing democratic institutions to ensure a fair equitable election they have concentrated on suppressing all opposition.Media, people , laws have all been under attack by this administration and at the end of the day the opposition will still poll the greatest number.

The result is two bitterly opposed factions who will shove aside any notion of true democracy just to ensure their own ascendancy.

So after the election what happens?

Ludicrous horse trading and more skullduggery which will probably end up ith the current admin forming some creaky coalition with some unprincipled "allies" - or the "other lot" get in and after a respectable period the army steps in to "re-establish order" - whatever that may be.

PS - I notice that K.Abhisit's party are proud of the fact that they have chosen their candidates not on the basis of "sponsor" but on having at least 10 years political experience....in other words "same ol', same ol'.........

I get a sudden flash image of goats walking over a wooden bridge.......................

"Ludicrous horse trading and more skullduggery which will probably end up with the current admin forming some creaky coalition with some unprincipled "allies"......."

This is how the current administration came to power, not via a coup. It is called democracy.

family row in the Shinawatra clan? Afraid the little sister would vanish with too much of the assets still to be stolen?

What a farce... disgusting Shinawatra's...

Democrats have been falling for Thaksin's tactics for a while now, and it seems that many foreigners are falling for them too. Sadly not many foreigners here know enough about politics. They think they do, but they don't. Just because Thaksin says that his sister may not become PM, doesn't mean that his sister won't become PM.

If you're swimming in a shark tank, it's a wise idea to throw blood into the other end of the pool, rather than where you're swimming, just to keep the sharks off your back until you're out of the pool. Sharks may just be dumb enough to believe it. And apparently even some of the people just watching the sharks from outside the tank.

Some of us know enough to realise that a convicted/escaped felon shouldn't be making the decisions of one of the major parties. Perhaps that's how they do thing where you come from;

are you Russian perchance?

family row in the Shinawatra clan? Afraid the little sister would vanish with too much of the assets still to be stolen?

What a farce... disgusting Shinawatra's...

Democrats have been falling for Thaksin's tactics for a while now, and it seems that many foreigners are falling for them too. Sadly not many foreigners here know enough about politics. They think they do, but they don't. Just because Thaksin says that his sister may not become PM, doesn't mean that his sister won't become PM.

If you're swimming in a shark tank, it's a wise idea to throw blood into the other end of the pool, rather than where you're swimming, just to keep the sharks off your back until you're out of the pool. Sharks may just be dumb enough to believe it. And apparently even some of the people just watching the sharks from outside the tank.

Some of us know enough to realise that a convicted/escaped felon shouldn't be making the decisions of one of the major parties. Perhaps that's how they do thing where you come from;

are you Russian perchance?

Where you come from?

Maybe you can hold a nude peace protest, hug a tree or wear an anorak and grow a beard if that helps in your better world.

But this is Thailand calling it Russia will not stop Thaksin. Why not accept reality?

What is most annoying about this farce is it takes the heat off Abhisit, he can continue being an ineffectual puppet. Talk about free healthcare, free education, in Bangkok perhaps but not in my neighbourhood. The only people he has helped is the middle class and of course the elite.

Doesn't most social policy change start in the capital and major centres, then work it's way outwards? Have you no experience of the inertia of the public service employees, still waiting for the forms to arrive in triplicate, signed by all the correct persons? Wasn't there a red shirt woman bitching in Chiang Mai that she only got B360 for her kid's school uniform?

It is not available to farangs.

If his party wins Thaksin will decide who becomes PM. Yes. Everyone knows that.

But it will be a decision by the people of Thailand, because if he can do the trick he does it via election. And not with the help of a coup. Does that tell you something?

Make up your mind. Is it Thaksin who decides, or the Thai people that decide?

For the pedantic:

"The Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand must be a member of the House of Representatives of Thailand.

To be appointed the nominee for the office must have the support of one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Then after a simple-majority vote in the House, a resolution will be passed and submitted to the King of Thailand, who will then make a formal appointment by giving his royal assent to the resolution. This must be done within thirty days of the beginning of the first session of the House of Representatives after an election. If no candidate can be found within this time then it is the duty of the President of the National Assembly of Thailand to submit the name he considers most worthy for the King to formalize.

The nominee and eventual Prime Minister is always the leader of the largest political party in the lower house or the leader of the majority coalition formed after an election."

http://en.wikipedia....ter_of_Thailand

I will forward your comments on to Khun Thaksin and let him know that he was wrong in his statements. He may not be too happy about it, the last time he thought he was wrong, he was mistaken.

For the pedantic:

<snipped wiki quote>

"It works well in most countries around the world.........." Which countries might those be? Other than Israel, none come to mind.