Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

webfact

Honorary Consuls have about as much power as an ordinary falang visitor. The true power brokers are and will be the ambassadors and consuls general. They can make the decision to place an area off limits to its citizens and should they not abide by that ruling would be on their own with no national support. The real solution lies within the Thai local governments. So long as graft and corruption rule the orders of the day, nothing but lip service will be given. This is apparent by the absence of the mayor who is on record as supporting the legalized theft by tuk tuk drivers.

Regrettably, tourists and some ex-pats are too stupid to vote with their feet and go elsewhere or resist the temptation to get F***ED by the jet ski operators or tuk tuk drivers. As for Phuket's bad publicity, they can only look at themselves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see, smashed in the head with a beer bottle for not being a customer? Hmmmmm. After living here for 16 months, I'll be moving along now. Thais will always be Thais. They care for no one.

Not entirely true...they care about themselves and their attitude of what's easy for me.

Tuk Tuk problems and Jet Skis, glad to see that the honorable gentlemen have their priorities straight. I myself would make a very bad honorary consul, I would have asked about corruption, virtual slavery, Ronhinga's beaten on a beach and a few other things. But than again, traveling for free and staying in a nice hotel is nicer

There is the phrase by the Thai officials used in there meeting that I am seeing more and more all over Thailand "we need to take immediate action to mitigate the damage". I read the same exact words a few weeks ago from Chiang Mai where the Governor held a press conference about the seven unexplained deaths of tourists in Chiang Mai during a six week time frame. It seems to me that priorities of the Thai government is always to "mitigate the damage" to their cash cow of tourism rather than find out how to fix the problem.

Maybe the German media needs to contact the New Zealand media and compare notes for a much bigger story.

As for the situation at Nong Harn Lake (Karon Park), Pimook Sonmee from Southern Thai Consulting said the growth of seaweed in the canal might have been confused with pollution.

Yes, of course! Happens all the time! :unsure:

Seaweed--poo its all the same isnt it-----oh no hang on---seaweeds green and probably tastes funny !!!!

It seems to me, the all important question is, has Karon Muncipality done the 12,000 cubic meter/day -200 mil. Baht upgrade they promised to do last year. What is the status of that?

Mabey they should have waited to build that silly Patong Gateway structure on the hill, and instead bought the back-up generator LAST YEAR. They wouldn't be in this position now.

Have any of the members of the Thai Tourism Authority ever actually visited a successful world class tourist destination? Do they have any idea what they are doing? What's the Master Plan?

Anyone know where to obtain a transcript of the minutes of these meetings? I would really be interested in getting a copy of them going back historically.

Nope, it has been syphoned off in the developing phase... well sort of. like in "cleaned away"... like here in Chaweng/Samui there is a water treatment plant, but never ever did one cubic inch of water run through treatment, in the treatment ponds, employees farm fish..... well what for, the ones involved in the scheme, made their cut, so what?

Who knows the state fo affairs here.. knows that it is a hopeless situation, everyone is involved, everyone whant's a share, everyone is absolutely NOT interested in ANY change taking place... so... not even a nuclear bomb will change anything, never ever, it's the state of affairs as is, it's the Thai way!

It's way too easy and good to not to have to do too much about anything and still lead and live an good lifestyle, not to worry about anything.

I can understand the attitude too well, BUT never accept it as a lifestyle and still pretend to be.. a practicing buddhist, honest servant of society and such!

But here it's: "TiT"!

Edited by Samuian

This is not news to anyone but the tourist that has never been to phuket

Thais in general do not care what the place is like(shame) they live there for one reason

to make as much money as they can then go back to another part of thailand.

(read rip off every tourist for as much as they can then move to the next)

if you think i am being hard go live there for a while and open your eyes!!!!

does anybody really think any place in thailand is any different?

if so let me no i obviously have not been there!!

TAT AMAZING THAILAND (yes amazing if you do not get ripped off)

have a nice holiday!!

have a nice holiday!!

I've been here for almost a year and don't feel like being ripped off. If I want to see a waterfall, I might pay more money than Thaipeople, but that's fine, because my income is WAY higher than theirs will ever be. Just imagine having to live on 5k Baht or a few thousand more. I couldn't do it. And they should still be able to have a nice time in their free time, so lower prices for them is fine.

Apart from that: Yes, unknowing tourists have to pay a lot higher prices sometimes. People who have been here for a few weeks will usually figure that out though. Go learn some Thai, talk to the people and they will gladly give you a little discount.

So to answer your question: Yes, I think there are a lot of places in Thailand where farang are treated very well and friendly, without paying loads of cash. I'm staying in the north by the way, might be a problem of the south, I can't really judge that after such a short time here.

It seems that they don't really want ti make any changes at all. Talked to my friend who is tour operator in Phuket he just said this is normal. No one really see the problem until tourist just turn away from Phuket. I go to other place and will never go back there until they make change on TuK Tuk. No interest at all on Jetski. By the way I am Thai.

have a nice holiday!!

I've been here for almost a year and don't feel like being ripped off. If I want to see a waterfall, I might pay more money than Thaipeople, but that's fine, because my income is WAY higher than theirs will ever be. Just imagine having to live on 5k Baht or a few thousand more. I couldn't do it. And they should still be able to have a nice time in their free time, so lower prices for them is fine.

Apart from that: Yes, unknowing tourists have to pay a lot higher prices sometimes. People who have been here for a few weeks will usually figure that out though. Go learn some Thai, talk to the people and they will gladly give you a little discount.

So to answer your question: Yes, I think there are a lot of places in Thailand where farang are treated very well and friendly, without paying loads of cash. I'm staying in the north by the way, might be a problem of the south, I can't really judge that after such a short time here.

I totally disagree.... its unlawful to charge over the price in Europe and if Thai's go there do they get ripped off NO.... I have been in Thailand a long time and if I get asked for more I vote with my feet

No..you see that's where you all 'misunderstand' what Mr Anakewongsawad was saying...It was a 'legal' illegal discharge into the sea....There's a difference you see!

"Karon Municipality chief administrator Weerasak Anakewongsawad told the hearing that the discharge in Kata, near the Kata Beach Resort, was not the result of illegal discharge by hotels, as alleged in the German documentary.

Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea."

So it was an illegal discharge by the sewage treatment plant operators - oh well, that's alright then!

and where was the conversation about Tuk Tuks and jet Skiis? Sewage? In 12 visits to Patong and Phuket in 4 years, I was never accosted by sewage.... and never heard of one tourist being ripped off by sewage. Of course lets worry about image of a film in Germany and not deal with the problem the beach mafia and tuk tuk gangs do to real people daily. Geesh. wonder why I stay away from tourist thailand as much as possible

Unfortunately the word doesn't get out to the majority of tourist who could then vote with their feet -- i.e., don't vacation in Phuket. There are too many other nicer vacation venues in Thailand. Why deal with the blatant corruption that starts at the top and progresses to the bottom.

I don't go there, and I don't recommend to my friends to go there. It isn't going to change, so don't go. B)

Pretty much my view! Unless we're going to go the whole hog and join the legions of Thailand, everything and everyone 'knockers' who yet still won't leave.. then its the only sensible view.. stay away from, and advise others away from, where you know, or highly suspect, is not a nice place to visit and stick with with the places, people and things you're happy with here.. simple really...

intheclub.gifwai.gif

It seems to me, the all important question is, has Karon Muncipality done the 12,000 cubic meter/day -200 mil. Baht upgrade they promised to do last year. What is the status of that?

Mabey they should have waited to build that silly Patong Gateway structure on the hill, and instead bought the back-up generator LAST YEAR. They wouldn't be in this position now.

Have any of the members of the Thai Tourism Authority ever actually visited a successful world class tourist destination? Do they have any idea what they are doing? What's the Master Plan?

Anyone know where to obtain a transcript of the minutes of these meetings? I would really be interested in getting a copy of them going back historically.

Do you really think that if the members of the Thai Tourism Authority actually went and visited a world class tourist destination, they would come back and say, jeez, were in a world of shit? I have a feeling they would keep it to themselves. THAT's their Master Plan. Keep everyone in the dark.

Let's see, smashed in the head with a beer bottle for not being a customer? Hmmmmm. After living here for 16 months, I'll be moving along now. Thais will always be Thais. They care for no one.

Not good! Not good at all!! No-one can blame you for feeling like that after such an incident, but I've been here over 4 years now, been out, including alone, many many many times, have plenty of Thai friends and know plenty other nice Thais.. and never been whacked, felt I had to whack anyone else, or even seemed things might go that way.. just luck? Maybe you'd think so, and certainly there are some 'unsavoury' places and types, even extremes to be avoided, but there really are some good folk out here, too, as anywhere I reckon... all the best to you, anyway.wai.gif

Its hard to tell who and which smells worse, the Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban and his other partners in graft or the feces coming out of the bowels of the sewage plant. Some savvy reporter should start publishing all the atrocities with the Associated Press world wide. The best way to combat the extortion, graft, etc etc etc is to hit them in their pocket books, but I must admit it is a touch job since its hard to tell who is in bed with who here, and unfortunately the legal authorties and the courts seem to turn a blind eye sweeping it under an already dirty carpet.

Perhaps they can collect some of the water the sewage plant dumped into the water, and pour it into Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban's in his morning coffee or tea and the gentlemen (and I use that term loosley) who heads up the Tourism Authorities hot water maker as well. It is hope the German report goes forward and is translated into the news from the BBC, CNN etc etc etc. But I believe it will be business as usual after the heat dies down.

"Karon Municipality chief administrator Weerasak Anakewongsawad told the hearing that the discharge in Kata, near the Kata Beach Resort, was not the result of illegal discharge by hotels, as alleged in the German documentary. Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea."

They must have been having that same power cut when I was at that beach 4 years ago. (Sewage pouring into the water from that hotel.) That's a long power cut.

Well, it's seems the "power of documentary" (rather, the fear of being exposed en masse), is what it takes to get the folks who are in charge down there to take corrective action.

Maybe, but it is, as ever, actually the power of money (or loss of it) that is working here. The free market will fix everything if it is allowed to do so unhindered by government but with property rights (including personal) protected. And despite the common misconception, especially among deluded and brain washed farangs, you do not need democracy or government to achieve this.

Despite all the scams and corruption here in Phuket it is still a great place to live and I would rather live here than any of the so called "free" countries of the west where you are anything but free and corruption is much much worse, it is just higher up, more subtle and involves a great deal more stolen money and power.

I also prefer the anarchy on the roads here to big brother back in the UK.

So please could the Thai Visa resident Phuket knockers and haters take a day off today from posting your juvenile and boring "I hate Phuket, why does anyone go/live there?" posts.

A real beliver, just ignore it and it will go away :whistling::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: :jerk:

No..you see that's where you all 'misunderstand' what Mr Anakewongsawad was saying...It was a 'legal' illegal discharge into the sea....There's a difference you see!

"Karon Municipality chief administrator Weerasak Anakewongsawad told the hearing that the discharge in Kata, near the Kata Beach Resort, was not the result of illegal discharge by hotels, as alleged in the German documentary.

Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea."

So it was an illegal discharge by the sewage treatment plant operators - oh well, that's alright then!

So because the discharge was legal illegal did that make the sh-t ok to swim in :cheesy:

It shows just what is thought of this "meeting "when the people representing theTuk Tuks and Jet Skis don't even bother to turn up, as for the sewage in the sea, does it really matter whether its legal or not, Its still there floating causing a health hazard :bah: but as many posters have pointed out with these meetings, its all been said before and will be again and Still nothing will be done, such a shame as Puket used to be a really nice place

My son and i went one step further. On weekends we went to the beach in Bangsaray and picked up the trash on the beach in front of the Thai's Basking in the Shade. Since then we have noticed that they have hired people to keep the beach somewhat clean. What we notice a lot of now is the Thai's leave all their garbage on the beach from the food they bring....my point is even though my son and I prompted the local authorities by humiliation to pick up trash...it seems to have made it worse as the Thai's now think that it's ok to leave the trash that they brought. Most of the trash previously seem to come from the ocean...most likely from ships and islanders who don't care..like KHo Larn. We happened to be visiting there only to see from our hotel room a man walk out of his home with a bag of trash and throw out into the ocean. The view from our hotel room looked like a view at the local dump. The water had trash everywhere included were tires lot's of broken bottles and lots of construction waste from when they built the hotel over the water. Then the loads of plastic bottles a bags that floated endlessly over the oceans surface. Being a person that likes to snorkel, I would dare climb into the water around areas where the homes and hotels are by the ocean. The couple of tourist spots with the white sand they seem to keep clean but they forget when they throw their crap in the ocean, that the ocean has a current that moves their garbage from one area to the next.

I have only seen pictures of Phuket, but I am going for the first time this week. It looks lovely, It would serve the residents, industry and politicians all very well to consider becoming a micro-culture of environmentalism in Thailand, perhaps even an iconic example for the world. There certainly is enough tourist dollars there to begin innovative and better systems as well as watchdog groups. After going to one beach in Songkhla that looked absolutely disgusting because of seafood farming and straws and plastic bits from 7-11's and mom and pop shops I stopped taking straws from these shops and bags. Not much but it's a start.

"The free market will fix everything if it is allowed to do so unhindered by government but with property rights (including personal) protected."

What turnip truck did the writer fall off of? This rather simplistic view of economics nicely ignores reality. It is the problem of "the commons" with each producer/polluter seeking to maximize profit and minimize expense. Since the expense of keeping "the commons" clean is not borne by the polluter but rather by the general public, profits are greater and someone else picks up the tab, in degradation of the environment, possible illness, a lower quality of life.

The general public doesn't have it's rights protected, property and otherwise, because the free market makes it profitable for the polluters, mafia, whoever, to buy off the so called government and affordable prices. Few if any speak for the public interest, and still fewer would do more than just give lip service.

I thought "lenghty power cut" hmmmm how long? 4 years?

The water at Kata and Karon beach is usually very clean. Waste water treatment is regularly checked, and as I recall most tests are 2-4ppm.

On occasions all waste treatment facilities fail. Everywhere in the world. As these beaches are occupied 365 days a year, while most beaches are occupied less, it gets more attention when it happens here.

now i realize why the raw sewage story is such a concern for the Phuket authorities... it will definitely cut into the extortion revenue of the jet-ski scams if tourists don't go in the water....and then a lot tea money won't get distributed up the food chain....

Edited by robanywhere