Honorary Consuls Meet In Phuket To Discuss Jetskis, Pollution And Tuk Tuk Mafia

webfact

Honorary Consuls tackle Phuket tourism's Big Bad Four

phuket-1-10341tHEbACnaNBvEprOnhstRBgCeIr.jpg

WISE WORDS: Citing a lack of follow-up action, several honorary consuls expressed

diminishing enthusiasm for the meetings, Australian Ambassador James Wise said.

PHUKET: -- Tuk-tuks, jet-skis, dirty water and bad publicity abroad once again topped the agenda at the sixth “Honorary Consuls Meeting with Local Authorities” at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday afternoon.

Governor Tri Augkaradecha opened the proceedings by apologizing for some “inappropriate language” by some attendees at the previous gathering in February.

He also promised to keep the meetings short by inviting only the heads of relevant agencies.

Notably absent from yesterday’s gathering were Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban, who at the previous meeting gave a spirited defense of the pricing structure used by tuk-tuks in Patong, and Phuket Marine Transport Office chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut, who denied there were any “dark influences” in the island’s jet-ski rental industry.

After welcoming visiting Australian Ambassador James Wise, the discussion soon turned to the scheduled airing in Germany in three weeks' time of an episode of the popular show We Save Your Vacation.

The show contains footage of tourists allegedly swimming in Kata and Karon as untreated sewage discharged into the sea floated around them.

The story featured on the front page of the Phuket Gazette’s May 7 issue.

Karon Municipality chief administrator Weerasak Anakewongsawad told the hearing that the discharge in Kata, near the Kata Beach Resort, was not the result of illegal discharge by hotels, as alleged in the German documentary.

Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea.

Karon Municipality is currently seeking a budget to buy a back-up generator to prevent a recurrence, he said.

As for the situation at Nong Harn Lake (Karon Park), Pimook Sonmee from Southern Thai Consulting said the growth of seaweed in the canal might have been confused with pollution.

Discharge from the nearby treatment plant has been tested by an independent party every two months since the tsunami and the result has always come back within standards, he said.

Mr Pimook noted that the treatment plant is now at or near its maximum capacity of 6,000 cubic meters a day, and that some parts of Karon, especially newly-developed areas, fall outside the catchment area.

Noting that the German documentary is scheduled to air in just three weeks, Phuket Provincial Administration Organization President Paiboon Upatising called for immediate action to mitigate the damage.

It is crucial to provide the right information quickly so the filmmakers can update the episode’s content before it airs, he said.

Phuket Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen suggested contacting the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Office Director in Germany, Suwalai Pinpradup, to help set the record straight using her contacts there.

Ms Suwalai, whose previous posting was at the TAT office in Phuket, should be well aware of the potential damage such a program could cause, he said.

The provincial office had already sent a preliminary letter asking for action, Gov Tri said.

German honorary consul Dirk Naumann said the German media should be invited here to see the situation for themselves and report the truth.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-05-24

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HaHa, They seem to be running around like a bunch of headless Chickens now. They want to clear things in three weeks, so that the film makers can update their content, before the programme airs. The programmers should keep it as it is. With maybe a comment at the end to say that Pucket now seems to be attempting to clean up their act + mention that there are worse places in Thailand? :hit-the-fan::hit-the-fan:

jb1

"Karon Municipality chief administrator Weerasak Anakewongsawad told the hearing that the discharge in Kata, near the Kata Beach Resort, was not the result of illegal discharge by hotels, as alleged in the German documentary.

Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea."

So it was an illegal discharge by the sewage treatment plant operators - oh well, that's alright then!

Good good, just keep shooting the messenger, usual Thai style, and all will be OK.

I am sure that the Patong Deputy Mayor is an authority on dark influences on the island, and he just saved me a trip there to see for myself.

I am sure that the program aired on German TV will also contribute to the fight against carbon emissions, so keep up the good work guys!

Edited by eddie61

Unfortunately the word doesn't get out to the majority of tourist who could then vote with their feet -- i.e., don't vacation in Phuket. There are too many other nicer vacation venues in Thailand. Why deal with the blatant corruption that starts at the top and progresses to the bottom.

I don't go there, and I don't recommend to my friends to go there. It isn't going to change, so don't go. B)

The translations to help folks out.

"Rather, it was the result of a lengthy power cut at a nearby sewage treatment substation that left operators no choice but to release the untreated water into the sea."

Looking into the parking lot reserved for management. We see 11 Desiel powered SUVs Of course if you run out of Diesel those generators wont work, since it is budgeted you cant get more causing a lengthy power cut. :whistling:

"Karon Municipality is currently seeking a budget to buy a back-up generator to prevent a recurrence, he said."

Seems someone needs a new SUV Desiel powered of course.

"the result has always come back within standards,"

Standards of a Bangkok Klong, :lol:

"Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban, who at the previous meeting gave a spirited defense of the pricing structure used by tuk-tuks in Patong"

Another words keep your hands out of my tea money. :o

"As for the situation at Nong Harn Lake (Karon Park), Pimook Sonmee from Southern Thai Consulting said the growth of seaweed in the canal might have been confused with pollution."

Toilet paper and plastic bottles plastic bags plastic lawn chairs are not seaweed but covered in it. :ermm:

German honorary consul Dirk Naumann said the German media should be invited here to see the situation for themselves and report the truth. :cheesy:

I have only seen pictures of Phuket, but I am going for the first time this week. It looks lovely, It would serve the residents, industry and politicians all very well to consider becoming a micro-culture of environmentalism in Thailand, perhaps even an iconic example for the world. There certainly is enough tourist dollars there to begin innovative and better systems as well as watchdog groups. After going to one beach in Songkhla that looked absolutely disgusting because of seafood farming and straws and plastic bits from 7-11's and mom and pop shops I stopped taking straws from these shops and bags. Not much but it's a start.

Does anyone know the original name of the documentary and the date when it will be aired? Haven't really heard about anything that would be translated as "We save our Vacation" although I guess it must be something like "Wir sparen uns den Urlaub".

Well, it's seems the "power of documentary" (rather, the fear of being exposed en masse), is what it takes to get the folks who are in charge down there to take corrective action.

Maybe, but it is, as ever, actually the power of money (or loss of it) that is working here. The free market will fix everything if it is allowed to do so unhindered by government but with property rights (including personal) protected. And despite the common misconception, especially among deluded and brain washed farangs, you do not need democracy or government to achieve this.

Despite all the scams and corruption here in Phuket it is still a great place to live and I would rather live here than any of the so called "free" countries of the west where you are anything but free and corruption is much much worse, it is just higher up, more subtle and involves a great deal more stolen money and power.

I also prefer the anarchy on the roads here to big brother back in the UK.

So please could the Thai Visa resident Phuket knockers and haters take a day off today from posting your juvenile and boring "I hate Phuket, why does anyone go/live there?" posts.

Just another meeting to discuss Tuk Tuk and Jet Ski scams where the action taken will be the same as the last 20 years , nothing will change until jet ski's are banned and Tuk Tuks should be 1 fare 50 baht per person per 5 klm block .

Fix those issues and stop all the B S from the Thai regulators contaminating the water and Thailand may get more respect from visitors. :)

It seems to me, the all important question is, has Karon Muncipality done the 12,000 cubic meter/day -200 mil. Baht upgrade they promised to do last year. What is the status of that?

Mabey they should have waited to build that silly Patong Gateway structure on the hill, and instead bought the back-up generator LAST YEAR. They wouldn't be in this position now.

Have any of the members of the Thai Tourism Authority ever actually visited a successful world class tourist destination? Do they have any idea what they are doing? What's the Master Plan?

Anyone know where to obtain a transcript of the minutes of these meetings? I would really be interested in getting a copy of them going back historically.

It seems to me, the all important question is, has Karon Muncipality done the 12,000 cubic meter/day -200 mil. Baht upgrade they promised to do last year. What is the status of that?

Mabey they should have waited to build that silly Patong Gateway structure on the hill, and instead bought the back-up generator LAST YEAR. They wouldn't be in this position now.

Have any of the members of the Thai Tourism Authority ever actually visited a successful world class tourist destination? Do they have any idea what they are doing? What's the Master Plan?

Anyone know where to obtain a transcript of the minutes of these meetings? I would really be interested in getting a copy of them going back historically.

:)

If you do happen to get a copy please grab one for me also I love humour :D

Edited by saintofsilence

Maybe, but it is, as ever, actually the power of money (or loss of it) that is working here. The free market will fix everything if it is allowed to do so unhindered by government but with property rights (including personal) protected. And despite the common misconception, especially among deluded and brain washed farangs, you do not need democracy or government to achieve this.

Despite all the scams and corruption here in Phuket it is still a great place to live and I would rather live here than any of the so called "free" countries of the west where you are anything but free and corruption is much much worse, it is just higher up, more subtle and involves a great deal more stolen money and power.

I also prefer the anarchy on the roads here to big brother back in the UK.

So please could the Thai Visa resident Phuket knockers and haters take a day off today from posting your juvenile and boring "I hate Phuket, why does anyone go/live there?" posts.

You just keep telling yourself all this and maybe, one day, it will actually be true.

Do you really prefer the anarchy on the roads? Really? :clap2:

Well, it's seems the "power of documentary" (rather, the fear of being exposed en masse), is what it takes to get the folks who are in charge down there to take corrective action.

Guess that is why the TAT campaign is "Amazing Thailand", it truly is amazing, trying to get "the film makers" change the information, instead of really pushing for changes - samui just the same and it's getting really quiet, well guess after all these years of turbulent growth, they all need a holiday too... grant it, there are plenty of other destinations, plenty!

Another translation.

Citing a lack of follow-up action, several honorary consuls expressed diminishing enthusiasm for the meetings, Australian Ambassador James Wise said.

Translates to -

We're sick of your lies and bullshit the time for action is NOW as in real time, not Thai time.

Edited by Soupdragon

Does anyone know the original name of the documentary and the date when it will be aired? Haven't really heard about anything that would be translated as "We save our Vacation" although I guess it must be something like "Wir sparen uns den Urlaub".

I believe it is called "Wir retten Ihren Urlaub" and is aired by RTL.

Can the german documrntery be translated and sent to the United States, England, Australia, and even Canada?:rolleyes:

Pirate a copy, and send it to National Geographic.

Maybe they wont air it, but it might plant the seed we need that NG does their own expose.