True Move Launching Samsung Galaxy S Ii

george

Maybe Ian B could comment on his (admittedly gray-market imported) hardware?

You can determine the model number, typically located under the battery, and on the outside of the box. Also note the FCC ID, and then Google that.

The Tegra/Exynos CPUs seem equivalent; nice problem to have...Samsung products very popular.

Not sure what to say about the i9103, that does appear to have a Super LCD screen, versus the Super AMOLED + in the i9100 (SGS2).

And not sure what to say about the 3G frequencies. Unless you are on AIS (Chiang Mai, and other select areas) just get the 850/1900/2100 version.

There are 23 different Galaxy S (+variants) baseband software modems. I'm still not sure what the hardware differences, if any might be.

I think we'll have to wait a few more weeks to see what units actually roll out here.

These are the currently identified, shipping baseband modems:

XXKDH

XXKDJ

XXKE4

XXKE7

XXKF2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On at least some of the SGS2 units they are using the Intel (Infineon) XMM 6260 baseband IC, specifically the Intel® X-Gold™ 626, which has a penta-band 3G/quad-band EDGE capability. However I'm not sure what that translates into in usable frequencies? The Samsung Galaxy S had the Infineon (Intel has subsequently purchased some of Infineon's product lines) BGA735 baseband modem, which was "tri-band" (2100, 1900/1800/2100, 800/900 MHz), but not re-progammable AFAIK.

i went to central plaza today here in chiangrai just to sneak peek again at samsung store if the have a sample model of SGS2 but unfortunately they don't have any...so i asked the sales lady in charged about the exact date when its coming to chiang rai...its on july 14 and they need reservation for B1,000.00....due to curiosity i asked why the price is quite cheaper compared to other countries...the new rumors goes like this: they removed one app in SGS2 for Thailand unit only...and the rest are all the same...that was according to the sales lady in-charge... and i really don't know exactly what specific app.

and if anyone knows what the exact thing they removed to make the price cheaper plz...inform us...tnx

Edited by sgacyr

I think it may have been the phone app http://www.thaivisa....sung-galaxy-s2/ haha

i went to central plaza today here in chiangrai just to sneak peek again at samsung store if the have a sample model of SGS2 but unfortunately they don't have any...so i asked the sales lady in charged about the exact date when its coming to chiang rai...its on july 14 and they need reservation for B1,000.00....due to curiosity i asked why the price is quite cheaper compared to other countries...the new rumors goes like this: they removed one app in SGS2 for Thailand unit only...and the rest are all the same...that was according to the sales lady in-charge... and i really don't know exactly what specific app.

and if anyone knows what the exact thing they removed to make the price cheaper plz...inform us...tnx

Perhaps they removed the NFC Payment ability?

My S2 will not allow me to buy any music and it comes up with "not supported in your country"

Also the Google Navigation app also comes up with "not supported in your country" so I just installed Sygic works great and the Bangkok map is great

My S2 will not allow me to buy any music and it comes up with "not supported in your country"

Also the Google Navigation app also comes up with "not supported in your country" so I just installed Sygic works great and the Bangkok map is great

Didn't you buy a grey-market imported unit from Sweden?

Not sure about NFC apps. Not even sure if any have been implemented?

Which music site(s) are you using?

Google Navigation is limited to certain countries by Google, like the U.S., for now. But it can be hacked; I am running it here in Thailand. Link.

Not sure any of these are somehow SGS2 'limitations', even if mentioned by a saleslady in Chiang Rai. :whistling:

Maybe best to wait and see what the localized SGS2 looks like before addressing rumors?

Didn't you buy a grey-market imported unit from Sweden?

Not sure about NFC apps. Not even sure if any have been implemented?

Which music site(s) are you using?

Google Navigation is limited to certain countries by Google, like the U.S., for now. But it can be hacked; I am running it here in Thailand. Link.

Not sure any of these are somehow SGS2 'limitations', even if mentioned by a saleslady in Chiang Rai. :whistling:

Maybe best to wait and see what the localized SGS2 looks like before addressing rumors?

might be better to wait on the release date to clear things up...

Here's some unboxing photos of someone who got one of the Thai versions of Samsung Galaxy S2 in their hands. Website's in Thai, but google translate gives a rough idea that they're saying it's being released this coming Friday?? Also, the model number printed on the manual is i9100 (not 9103 or 9100t), so that's good news. I don't see how it could not be a quad band phone as all advertising lists it has quad band gsm and 3g.

http://www.thaidroidupdate.com/archives/7436

Thanks

Here's some unboxing photos of someone who got one of the Thai versions of Samsung Galaxy S2 in their hands. Website's in Thai, but google translate gives a rough idea that they're saying it's being released this coming Friday?? Also, the model number printed on the manual is i9100 (not 9103 or 9100t), so that's good news. I don't see how it could not be a quad band phone as all advertising lists it has quad band gsm and 3g.

http://www.thaidroid...m/archives/7436

Any idea what the GH99-94544W is above the model number?

http://www.thaidroid...m/archives/7436

Just put a 1000 baht deposit for the galaxy s2 at jaymart. Dtac model. Delivery on this coming Tuesday. Seems like they are the only dealer with a fixed delivery date. Oddly, the Samsung shop at Paragon won't get their stock until mid August. Will let you know more when I get the phone.

Just put a 1000 baht deposit for the galaxy s2 at jaymart. Dtac model. Delivery on this coming Tuesday. Seems like they are the only dealer with a fixed delivery date. Oddly, the Samsung shop at Paragon won't get their stock until mid August. Will let you know more when I get the phone.

Will look forward to your next post mid August.:D

Because a shop put up a fixed date,doesn't mean that they gonna deliver at that date here in Thailand.I think the Samsung shop will provide a good parameter as to what date the phone will actually be available.

I guess (as I understand it) a lot of shops have received their tiny quota of product, however Samsung has asked every retail outlet to begin selling on the exact same day. Not sure what that day is; have heard today (July 8, also July 14 or 15). But that Tesco evidently moved the product right to the shelves where all 7 units promptly sold out (yesterday, I think).

Just FYI, popped in the Ais store in paragon today. Not only do they have their own functional demo units on display but customers in the shop were unboxing their own s2's. Dtac had a demo unit as well, but no stock until the middle to end of this month. Jay mart confirmed they're getting them next week. And Tesco beat everyone to the punch. It's a pretty funny launch. Seems like you have to shop around if you're in a hurry to pick one of these phones up.

Just FYI, popped in the Ais store in paragon today. Not only do they have their own functional demo units on display but customers in the shop were unboxing their own s2's. Dtac had a demo unit as well, but no stock until the middle to end of this month. Jay mart confirmed they're getting them next week. And Tesco beat everyone to the punch. It's a pretty funny launch. Seems like you have to shop around if you're in a hurry to pick one of these phones up.

Looks like the 3g radios are the same in both versions

http://www.thaidroidupdate.com/archives/7510

While the underlying hardware is penta-band 3G capable it's still not obvious to me that both models have the same modem firmware. We'd really have to see the PDA from both models. It does look to me, and I'm no expert on this model, like there is a custom PDA on this model. It does seem like, if all 5 bands weren't available in the UI, that you should be able to re-flash the required firmware. But that's a guess. Until we know for sure I'd still recommend you buy the model for your current 3G network, to be safe.

just bought today an SAMSUNG GALAXY S II (SGS II I9100T) at the true shop ground floor seacon square

price 18900 thb / 16GB / cpu 1.2GHZ dual / super amo plus screen / 1 year warranty / no import model like many shops sell in MBK

no waiting queue

without contract / no reservation needed

they have stock

just go there an pick up the SGS II

Edited by Phil Conners
Bold font removed as per http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254949-Forum-Netiquette/ point 1.

But can you put an AIS or DTAC card in it?

I am soo confused by so called versions.

yes u can (it is an unlocked phone)

i myself use an AIS card

but remember if you want to use EDGE or 3G you need to use a NETSIM CARD or load your normal SIM CARD

for use of this services

btw TRUE has an interesting offer for smartphone users.

Edited by Phil Conners
Bold font removed as per http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254949-Forum-Netiquette/ point 1.

In case I missed it in this thread.

Those who bought the official Thai version of the phone,can you please confirm if the phone has all 4 frequency's for 3G.

Yes, I am confused too. I saw one at True Big C. Ratchada and the staff there insisted that I could NOT use AIS simcard. The price 18,900 baht was with a True package. If I didn't want the package it would cost "considerably more".

I said that of course I could use AIS simcard but maybe not 3G. The staff seemed to disagree with each other and no one could actually give me an answer.

I'm off to AIS Paragon tomorrow.