True Move Launching Samsung Galaxy S Ii

george

TrueMove launching Samsung Galaxy S II

BY DON SAMBANDARAKSA – MAY 24, 2011

BANGKOK: -- TrueMove is taking orders for the current king of the Android throne, the Samsung Galaxy S II at the Thailand Mobile Expo on 2-5 June.

The Galaxy S II boasts a 1.2 GHz dual-core CPU, Super AMOLED Plus screen (that does away with the nasty Pentile matrix of the first generation of AMOLED screens) and is just 8.49mm thin and has an 8 Megapixel camera with a proper LED flash and is capable of taking 1080 HD video.

No pricing information was given in the press release.

TrueMove is pitching the Galaxy S II as part of its Samsung Experience Zone, along with other Samsung devices and tablets to give users a change to try out the latest Android devices at selected True Coffee shops.

-- http://www.amitiae.com/?p=3333

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TrueMove is taking orders for the current king of the Android throne, the Samsung Galaxy S II at the Thailand Mobile Expo on 2-5 June.

What exactly does this mean? "is taking orders, at Thailand mobile expo"

I mean, you will be able to place an order at the expo?

or you will be able to actually buy it and go home with it from the Expo?

"A jilted white iPhone4 could not be reached for comment." :D

Probably the only choice for Samsung as a local launch partner, given the "issues" with AIS and DTAC.

Expect local pricing 22,900 or 23,900 (based on uSD card options, perhaps), along with financing options and inclusive data plans.

If past history is any indication, the phone will not be available until end June/begining July, so you can get added to the wait-list at the show. This is how it has happened in the past.

So SweRob, you will be departing Queen Sirikit Center next weekend alone. :(

edited to add: And I think it is safe to say the SGS2 will have an 850 Mhz radio (as we expected).

Edited by lomatopo

AIS selling the Google Nexus S (by Samsung) for 18,900 including a very attractive plan. Much better deal IMO.

The nexus S doesn't have the 850 Mhz hspa band while the Galaxy S II does have this future

Edited by janverbeem

AIS selling the Google Nexus S (by Samsung) for 18,900 including a very attractive plan. Much better deal IMO.

The nexus S doesn't have the 850 Mhz hspa band while the Galaxy S II does have this future

Having 850 MHz would only be an advantage if you're going to use True. AIS provide their 3G on 900 MHz, and presumably, once (if ever) they will go ahead and officially offer national 3G it will hopefully be on the 2100 MHz band normally used for 3G.

Anyway since I'm in Pattaya where there are no GSM 3G it doesn't really matter to me <_<

But who would want the Nexus S over the Samsung GSII?

I would much prefer stock Android over something with a vendors "value added enhancements". Already tried HTC Sense, thanks but no thanks <_<

Having 850 MHz would only be an advantage if you're going to use True. AIS provide their 3G on 900 MHz, and presumably, once (if ever) they will go ahead and officially offer national 3G it will hopefully be on the 2100 MHz band normally used for 3G.

Anyway since I'm in Pattaya where there are no GSM 3G it doesn't really matter to me

But it is a public secret that True and Cat will be the way to go if you want 3G for the next few years.

By the way,in Pattaya there is True 3G 850 Mhz available isn't it?

Anyway since I'm in Pattaya where there are no GSM 3G it doesn't really matter to me <_<

Sounds like you're living in denial? Pattaya has GSM 3G and its on True Move on 850Mhz.... cannot fight it....or wait a few years and do without..

We've discussed the Google Nexus S quite a few times before and very few seem to think it is a good choice for use here in Thailand, with the possible exception of those in Chiang Mai who can use AIS/One-2-Call 3G. It is a Samsung Galaxy S variant, so a great screen, with a 900/1700/2100 3G radio (built for T-Mo in the U.S.), and no additional memory slot. This was Google's last attempt at selling HW, and was really only done to have a launch platform for Gingerbread.

I believe you can still source the Captivate, which is also a Galaxy S variant, with the same screen, in a much better package, with an additional memory slot, with a 850/1900/2100 3G radio, here for 13,900!

You are right, there may be True 3G downtown but only west of Sukhumvit road, but as I recall, those who tried it say the actual download speed is no better than what you'd get on Edge.

I've also had some very poor experience with True Internet and Satellite services that would not make me want to use them again anytime soon.

AIS is not only available in Chiang Mai, also in Chonburi, Hua Hin and Korat, according to this map. I also heard it should be available in Bangkok, but I don't know if that's just a rumor.

I also heard it should be available in Bangkok, but I don't know if that's just a rumor.

Other than Central World and Siam Paragon AIS does not have any 3G on Bangkok. (and in those places it might even be free?)

Not sure what you heard, but if it's different than what I just wrote then it is a rumor. AIS/One-2-Call appear to be HOSED re: 3G, but any change in government might change that forecast. ;)

Also posted this in a related SGS2 thread...

I have seen some posts on Thai forums today talking about a price of 18,900 for this phone, from True, DTAC and AIS, along with price-reduced data plans. Up until today most expected the price to be 22,900 so this new price has everyone gasping. There is a lot of pent-up demand for this phone, and the rumors are flying, so this could be another one.

I have seen some posts on Thai forums today talking about a price of 18,900 for this phone, from True, DTAC and AIS, along with price-reduced data plans. Up until today most expected the price to be 22,900 so this new price has everyone gasping. There is a lot of pent-up demand for this phone, and the rumors are flying, so this could be another one.

Any idea what the phone will cost "off contract", when just buying the phone without contract that is. Any more rumours about release date?

Any idea what the phone will cost "off contract", when just buying the phone without contract that is. Any more rumours about release date?

It has been released in England now and costs 528 pounds (approx 25800 baht). Maybe we are looking at a similar price here.

There is no hardware subsidization here (excepting some of the initial iPhone/True post-paid packages), hence no "on contract", "off contract" pricing per se. In fact, you pay MSRP from a service provider while other channels can eat into their margin and discount a few thousand baht (on a high-end model like this).

So the scenario plays out like this...new, highly anticipated model pre-launched by service providers at MSRP bundled with data plans, phone comes out ~ within 30 days, the channel (there are only a few wholesalers here) gets product, it rolls out to the retail channel, perhaps re-packaged with different uSD card options, and some price pressure ensues. The retail channel can/will sell at cost, sometimes, to maintain a revenue stream and meet any monthly revenue requirements with their supplier.

My best guess on availability would be end June, beginning July as the product needs to be localized.

Again, this 18,900 MSRP is a rumor, I am a bit in doubt as the market for a high-end phone here can absorb a 22,900 - 23,900 MSRP, and is for the Samsung Galaxy S II.

This page illustrates the potential disconnect in pricing. http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_i9100.asp

For those who might not like the Samsung launcher, Touch Wiz 3, take a look at the new version (paid) of Launcher Pro. Some insane animations.

Edited by lomatopo

Again, this 18,900 MSRP is a rumor, I am a bit in doubt as the market for a high-end phone here can absorb a 22,900 - 23,900 MSRP, and is for the Samsung Galaxy S II.

This page illustrates the potential disconnect in pricing. http://www.thaimobil..._S_II_i9100.asp

According to updated information on the TME flier, 18900 is correct, and it "should" be available at the expo. According to GF translation, she is unsure if the "1000" below the price refers to the first 1000 people will get that price, or the first 1000 people will get extras.

http://www.thailandmobileexpo.com/2011/wp-content/uploads/P1.jpg

I doubt they would list it in the flyer with a firm price and they are not selling it. They would specifically mention that it was pre-order only, right?

If the phone was that price, then they could not justify charging more or the same price for the tab models? or other models?

It may be a expo-intro price. I am planning to be there early thursday morning, maybe right at 10am. I'm considering picking up for people if they want. PM for those requests.

In that flyer it just says the first 1,000 people get a special promotion, which may be:

With special promotions for 1000, you first ordered Samsung Galaxy S II get calls 3,000 with accessories and stay below specials from the O operator valued at more than 5,000 reiterated that only the 1000 first-person booth, Samsung at Job Thailand Mobile Expo 2011 Hi-End 2-5 June at the National Conference Center Queen Sirikit.

So maybe some special voice/data package/discount.

And that you may have to wait until July to get your mitts on this beauty. I assume you would not have to pay anything until the phone is available, so really just a wait-list scenario, as they did with the original iPhone launch. When the phone is generally available I am certain the price will still be 18,900.

Edited by lomatopo

Anyone got any more info on the release of this phone? When I spoke to the Samsung shop in Paragon they said they would be selling it in early June for under 20,000. So that lines up with the price on the flyer. Really want to get my hands on one, my old HTC is going a bit nuts. Anyone been to MBK yet to see if they've started flowing in there?

Some rumors (from Thai forums) say July availability, but who knows? There may be some grey-market imports available now.

Also am hearing you may have to pay a deposit of a few thousand baht at the show to get on the wait-list. But that rumor may be coming from those familiar with the True/iPhone launch a few years ago?

Some rumors (from Thai forums) say July availability, but who knows? There may be some grey-market imports available now.

Also am hearing you may have to pay a deposit of a few thousand baht at the show to get on the wait-list. But that rumor may be coming from those familiar with the True/iPhone launch a few years ago?

Looks like the SII was not available for walk-away purchase. The long line was for pre-orders only (guessing 300-400 thai people at least). But the first 1000 people got 3000 baht off the total price + the extras. This was according to an interpretation of a sign my GF saw.

Oh well.

Issue resolved http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4465294 the phone will be available july 1st , 18,900 from True and early july from Samsung. the phone is quad band (but if bought from carrier it maybe locked to carrier, as UK releases have done) there was a 3,000 baht offer in accessories, not price off the phone. The phone was not available to purchase at the expo, and there was well over 1000 people waiting to pre-order this phone

Looks like the SII was not available for walk-away purchase. The long line was for pre-orders only (guessing 300-400 thai people at least). But the first 1000 people got 3000 baht off the total price + the extras. This was according to an interpretation of a sign my GF saw.

Oh well.

Agreed, locked is the wrong term. However some models are better suited to a specific carrier as a result of their HW. I think this is what justsumhelp is trying to convey.

With the SGS2 it looks like there might be two different versions: i9100T and i9100

WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100).

Both these models went through FCC, the i9100T might have been for TelCel in Mexico, and perhaps AT&T in the U.S.

To begin this is all speculation until someone has the device in hand we cant be sure. However the distinction between the i9100T, i9100, and i9100G are from an FCC filing. From reading countless websites I suspect that the i9100 and i9100T are the same phone and contain the same 3g radio (samsung would lose alot of money from having to build two separate models with radios that lack quad band support when they have a fully functional and already on the market product that supports all UMTS frequencies ) the i9100G is most like a CDMA version of the phone. With this being said it is probably that the difference between the i9100 and i9100T are different ROMs that are carrier specific, which means that the AIS model will not work with a True sim and vice versa, unless there is a software unlock which provides access to all radio frequencies. Carrier "locked" phones are prevalent in the many parts of the world due to the fact they can create massive revenue for the specific carrier e.g. ATT and the Iphone in the United States. Thailand may currently not have "locked" phones but from the looks of this we may start seeing the trend take hold here. But to state again this is all speculation.

Agreed, locked is the wrong term. However some models are better suited to a specific carrier as a result of their HW. I think this is what justsumhelp is trying to convey.

With the SGS2 it looks like there might be two different versions: i9100T and i9100

WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100).

Both these models went through FCC, the i9100T might have been for TelCel in Mexico, and perhaps AT&T in the U.S.

UPDATE: apparently entering *#2263# into the phone allows you to select the radio frequencies

source: http://www.blognone.com/news/23970 & http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1059089

To begin this is all speculation until someone has the device in hand we cant be sure. However the distinction between the i9100T, i9100, and i9100G are from an FCC filing. From reading countless websites I suspect that the i9100 and i9100T are the same phone and contain the same 3g radio (samsung would lose alot of money from having to build two separate models with radios that lack quad band support when they have a fully functional and already on the market product that supports all UMTS frequencies ) the i9100G is most like a CDMA version of the phone. With this being said it is probably that the difference between the i9100 and i9100T are different ROMs that are carrier specific, which means that the AIS model will not work with a True sim and vice versa, unless there is a software unlock which provides access to all radio frequencies. Carrier "locked" phones are prevalent in the many parts of the world due to the fact they can create massive revenue for the specific carrier e.g. ATT and the Iphone in the United States. Thailand may currently not have "locked" phones but from the looks of this we may start seeing the trend take hold here. But to state again this is all speculation.

"A jilted white iPhone4 could not be reached for comment." :D

Probably the only choice for Samsung as a local launch partner, given the "issues" with AIS and DTAC.

Expect local pricing 22,900 or 23,900 (based on uSD card options, perhaps), along with financing options and inclusive data plans.

If past history is any indication, the phone will not be available until end June/begining July, so you can get added to the wait-list at the show. This is how it has happened in the past.

So SweRob, you will be departing Queen Sirikit Center next weekend alone. :(

edited to add: And I think it is safe to say the SGS2 will have an 850 Mhz radio (as we expected).

On True website they have it listed at 18,900

Edited by dsj

UPDATE: apparently entering *#2263# into the phone allows you to select the radio frequencies

I'm pretty sure you are not deliberately trying to mislead people with your posts; we'll just chalk it up to naive exuberance. I still think it's safe to say there are two different SGS2 models currently being made available here: i9100T and i9100 - WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100). And yes, they have different 3G hardware, and an 850/1900/2100 cannot be "flashed" to become a 900/1900/2100 unit. Service providers and country subsidiaries are responsible for forecasting and orders for 3G models; Samsung builds the appropriate unit based on those forecasts/orders. They need to keep costs down so are not putting in quad-band radios. Again, I would strongly recommend you buy the correct unit for your current and projected (I know this is challenging) needs.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S variant: Captivate with 850/1900/2100 3G. I can both see and select WCDMA 900 in my service menu, but it doesn't work. I think these service menus really confuse people and start the rumors flying. We've been down this road quite a few times already.

Lastly, regarding locked phones, we are not "seeing the trend take hold here". There is no trend, no inkling of a trend beginning and no way this would ever work here. The SGS2 is a hot phone and I think we should be pleased that there are models for for both True/TOT and AIS. The original SGS did not support True/850; hence those of us who wanted one had to go for the Captivate (from AT&T).

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (AT&T), 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G, using SGS Tools (also *#*#197328640#*#* gets you into the Engineering menus)

post-9615-0-68342300-1307346308_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-97868100-1307346322_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-87926000-1307346333_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-98952800-1307346353_thumb.jp