Conficated Bike

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its been used on road for more than 30 days/3.000 km yes they can.

probably can due to not being road legal, if proof of passed emission test can not be provided

to make it road legal, IOW white plate and book, emission mod and test must be done, 29k each test, usually cost 70-80k total. Then roadworthiness, then apply for registration

"There's nothing under the sun that the Thai police can't do."

Taksin speaks the truth.

I've had them try to confiscate my fully legal Thai built bike while refusing to give/show their names or give any sort of receipt/documentation at a big police road block, unless, after 2 hours, I gave them 1000b.

Edited by hehehoho

I've been driving my invoice bike around Bangkok and I do understand the risks. Without forking over 70-80K and waiting for months of crap - can I get a *legal* red plate and book? Who do I have to go see? What documentation is required?

PS. I have been stopped many times because I drive without a plate, and if you smile and play to their rules, they usually let you off with a 200baht fine. Not sure how long I can keep doing this though :blink:

Thanks again for the replies, it's really helping me through this bump!

I've been driving my invoice bike around Bangkok and I do understand the risks. Without forking over 70-80K and waiting for months of crap - can I get a *legal* red plate and book? Who do I have to go see? What documentation is required?

PS. I have been stopped many times because I drive without a plate, and if you smile and play to their rules, they usually let you off with a 200baht fine. Not sure how long I can keep doing this though :blink:

No you cant get a legal red plate, Get the bike booked or keep paying the 200 baht. In the north east and Chang mai area you are still ok with just the invoice and excise tax papers not sure about other areas.

No you cant get a legal red plate, Get the bike booked or keep paying the 200 baht. In the north east and Chang mai area you are still ok with just the invoice and excise tax papers not sure about other areas.

The Boys in Brown are usually focused on getting tea money or issuing fines giving them commission.

During my +8 years fulltime in TH I have been riding/driving approx 450.000 km all over the country. Only 3 times have I been asked to provide documents by the Police in Black(Organised Crime Units) on roadblocks. They impound any vehicle without proper docs. They do not issue fines at all. No plate, red plate more than 30 days, no copy reg book, fake white plate, dodgy books. They use a mobile jail. On occasions they are assisted by DLT, so ad emission, noise, changes not recorded page 18 in book, and ID check (frame and engine numbers).

Last time I was stopped in one of these impound road blocks was in Nong Kai about 6 months ago. Huge amount of bikes/cars/trucks impounded

Been riding full time in Thailand for 11 years and been stopped many times by excise DLT guys even at hotels which we were staying( waiting for me in the morning) as well as road blocks to check my paper work and at my workshop a couple of times have never had a bike impounded. Or know of anyone that has. only one of my bikes has a green book and the other three invoice and excise only.

Also ride with some Thai and expat clubs where many dont have green books and yet never seen a bike with invoice and excise in order impounded yet.

Insurance is invalid on a non registered bike.

of course it is

and since it is not road legal, using a non road legal vehicle you are automaticly at fault involved in an accident, releases major bail claims, not the ordinary 200.000 baht

A friend in Petchbury with non plated harley was involved in an accident involving casualty. Excice payed, Insurance payed, Thai lisence, no emision, no plate/book. Red plate. Total bail to stay out of jail, 1 million baht. As the law limits compensation to victim to 1 million baht, 1 million baht 3rd party. 2006 bike impounded, never got it back. Hung himself in 2009, broke. Anyone knows who Im talking about, please dont mention his name, as it should be cleared with his son first.

I have been riding dodgy bikes myself. Quit in 2008 when realizing this guys problems would never end

In 2007 one of my bikes in the wifes name with out a plate and a friend riding it hit a mum and daughter putting them both in hospital for a week, total paid 2,000 baht

lucky

or I would dare to say what an ass-ole compensating an accident with 2.000 baht.

anyhow the legal claims are (as specified in a proper Insurance) 10 x 1 million baht 3rd party, 5 million 3rd party property, then start counting

The 2,000 baht was to release the bike :whistling:

The Mother and daughter were on a unregistered bike with out a licence no helemet and tried to cut across a main road and collected the guy riding my bike. At first they wanted 100k but when my wife asked who was paying for the repair of our bike they decided not to push their luck and never heard from them again.

Only a ass ole would compensate someone for causing the accident anless forced to do so.

A friend killed a policemans wife on a unplated bike and there wasnt any million bahts pay out on that one. Infact the policemans wife was a want person :lol:

The 2,000 baht was to release the bike :whistling:

The Mother and daughter were on a unregistered bike with out a licence no helemet and tried to cut across a main road and collected the guy riding my bike. At first they wanted 100k but when my wife asked who was paying for the repair of our bike they decided not to push their luck and never heard from them again.

Only a ass ole would compensate someone for causing the accident anless forced to do so.

A friend killed a policemans wife on a unplated bike and there wasnt any million bahts pay out on that one. Infact the policemans wife was a want person :lol:

heros ride unregistered bikes, and when they kill or hospitalize someone they try to get away with it

some of us ride legal bikes, well at least legally plated and insured bikes

Yes I ride a legal bike :rolleyes:

Dont go getting all pissy Katabeachbum would it really matter in the end if a number plate was on the back of the bike or not ? would it have saved the daughter and mother, would it have saved the policemans wife ?

You yourself use to ride a unregisted bike but now because you dont, poeple who do are heros :lol:

Yes I ride a legal bike :rolleyes:

Dont go getting all pissy Katabeachbum would it really matter in the end if a number plate was on the back of the bike or not ? would it have saved the daughter and mother, would it have saved the policemans wife ?

You yourself use to ride a unregisted bike but now because you dont, poeple who do are heros :lol:

Never had an unplated bike. Read posts again, I said dodgy. Dodgy as in bike seller provided me with recycled book after buying it and riding it on redplate for a couple of months. Made him take it back and refund, as I dont want a dodgy bike. I prefere a clean bike with proper Insurance to cover if I f-ck up. or someone else f-ck up. As simple as that. and trust me I aint no saint

IMHO heroes are those using non road legal/ non plated/non insured bikes involved in accidents and brag about getting away with paying only 2.000 baht. My respect to B in Petchbury tho who actually payed victims family a million baht

Who is braging ? I am just telling you what happened :rolleyes: I guess you have some issues :whistling:

So stop getting your knickers twisted and dodgy is just as bad as a unplated bike as they are both illegal so get over yourself.

If your friend caused the accident then then yes he should pay.

Not really sure why it turned into this - clearly riding a bike that isn't fully registered is probably not a good idea, but when importing a bike there is a waiting period for a book and plate so it's tempting.

Thanks for the answer then - Yes they can, especially when you're involved in an accident, but on a day to day basis they don't.

Why did you think you wanted a red plate? Are you against registering your cycle in the proper way?

If the answer is Yes sell it.

Thai guys can do what they want. We falang can not.

My buddy had a 929 with only invoice. He sold it to buy a legal cycle.

Not really sure why it turned into this - clearly riding a bike that isn't fully registered is probably not a good idea, but when importing a bike there is a waiting period for a book and plate so it's tempting.

Thanks for the answer then - Yes they can, especially when you're involved in an accident, but on a day to day basis they don't.

There is no waitning time to get proper clean book and plates for new/imported bikes. As soon as bike has cleared organised crime unit and passed emission and roadworthiness and proof of all taxes, it takes a few hours at DLT to register and have plates issued. Done it with cars.

Until above is completed, there is no way to tell bike is not stolen abroad or is roadworthy

What takes time is to pass tests without actually checking/testing bike, especially bikes made in TH from imported secondhand parts

There is no waitning time to get proper clean book and plates for new/imported bikes. As soon as bike has cleared organised crime unit and passed emission and roadworthiness and proof of all taxes, it takes a few hours at DLT to register and have plates issued. Done it with cars.

Until above is completed, there is no way to tell bike is not stolen abroad or is roadworthy

What takes time is to pass tests without actually checking/testing bike, especially bikes made in TH from imported secondhand parts

Or if you have a bike that you know can't pass you can still buy a pass. TiT, there's nothing that a little money can't fix. :jap:

There is no way to tell if it is stolen? Umm...simple VIN check with the manufacturer and country of origin before originally purchased was my way through that. My bike probably wouldn't pass the emission test...so, like you said katabeachbum, there is a waiting period until I can find someone who knows someone on the inside.

Most of this is irrelevant as I don't really have more spare cash to put into getting a book - I was seeing if I could red plate it to sell it. Looks like I'll hold onto it until I can go through the crap. If anyone knows someone who can help me get the process done quickly, then let me know.

Cheers

There is no way to tell if it is stolen? Umm...simple VIN check with the manufacturer and country of origin before originally purchased was my way through that. My bike probably wouldn't pass the emission test...so, like you said katabeachbum, there is a waiting period until I can find someone who knows someone on the inside.

Most of this is irrelevant as I don't really have more spare cash to put into getting a book - I was seeing if I could red plate it to sell it. Looks like I'll hold onto it until I can go through the crap. If anyone knows someone who can help me get the process done quickly, then let me know.

Cheers

Yes the person who imported you bike in the first place would be a good start.

Cheers

having owned an import/export vehicle company for 2 decades, I know several ways to Import a vehicle stolen or still owned by Financecompany. Very few bike manufactorers keep track of stolen bikes, HD tryes but register is not complete. Goes without saying owner having his bike stolen reports to Police and Insurance, Insurance pays out after a month or more, story ends.

Most used method is, to import stolen Korean bike to Japan, Japan exports to Thailand, Thai check japs theft register, nothing recorded.

Chunky, normal price for non emission compatible bikes is 70-90k baht for genuine book, 30k for recycled (like Honda wave with new larger engine and new color)

Here we go with the red plate stuff again. Are you a dealer? If yes you probably have red plates.

You want it registered quick. We don't know the engine size but I would venture 80,000 baht will get you a green book & white plate quick. Like 6 to 8 weeks.

Cheers

having owned an import/export vehicle company for 2 decades, I know several ways to Import a vehicle stolen or still owned by Financecompany. Very few bike manufactorers keep track of stolen bikes, HD tryes but register is not complete. Goes without saying owner having his bike stolen reports to Police and Insurance, Insurance pays out after a month or more, story ends.

Most used method is, to import stolen Korean bike to Japan, Japan exports to Thailand, Thai check japs theft register, nothing recorded.

Chunky, normal price for non emission compatible bikes is 70-90k baht for genuine book, 30k for recycled (like Honda wave with new larger engine and new color)

Ok, I am really sure it isn't stolen - It was built in Japan in 2005, imported in 2009 and I ran a check with the company in Japan(which have an extremely tight system for stolen bikes) and it checked out. My bike has nothing to do with dodgy Korean/Japan/Thailand import. Why does everyone presume (to the point of forcing your opinion), that it is stolen? Can't someone just import their bike in pieces to save money on taxes? Because in Thailand the prices of bikes are ridiculous unless built here.

As for the green book - I would only do it legally and I've been told how long it takes and all the ins and out's of it.....but no one has come forward with a name or company. If anyone knows a company or someone who could register my 400, then please PM me.

PS. I'm not a dealer, I just want a quick way to make my bike legal. If not with red plates, then I guess a green book/plate.

Cheers guys

Cheers

Ok, I am really sure it isn't stolen - It was built in Japan in 2005, imported in 2009 and I ran a check with the company in Japan(which have an extremely tight system for stolen bikes) and it checked out. My bike has nothing to do with dodgy Korean/Japan/Thailand import. Why does everyone presume (to the point of forcing your opinion), that it is stolen? Can't someone just import their bike in pieces to save money on taxes? Because in Thailand the prices of bikes are ridiculous unless built here.

As for the green book - I would only do it legally and I've been told how long it takes and all the ins and out's of it.....but no one has come forward with a name or company. If anyone knows a company or someone who could register my 400, then please PM me.

PS. I'm not a dealer, I just want a quick way to make my bike legal. If not with red plates, then I guess a green book/plate.

Cheers guys

The best way is to go back to the importer or shop that sold the bike and get them to arrange a book as there is paper work they have to fill out and beleive by law they have to help. I had one import/shipping company that tried to get out of helping with a book issue and had to get friends of a friend to have to have a word in their ear before they would do it,

Cheers

Cheers guys

Most 400s cant be done legally, as I know there is not one 400 able to pass Thai emission. I am not trying to put you down by focusing on theft and emission, but the fact is stolen bikes are to common in TH, and TH emission is tough. ThaiVisa readers need to be aware of these facts.

I can not recommend anyone to register your 400 legally. Even reputable bike companies use shortcuts on single registrations.

Even reputable bike companies use shortcuts on single registrations.

Yep, what Kata said is true. Even the big bike shops employ third party "fixers" to "facilitate" and "expedite" the testing and registration process.

I would never share information about these "facilitators" with a complete stranger on a public forum.

All I can say is, if you are determined, you will track one down, perhaps via a referral from a shop, or pay a shop, to get your sorted . Or you can continue riding your bike illegally until your luck runs out and you lose it or worse.

A serious question for you- would you ride an unregistered and uninsured vehicle on public roads in your home country?

Good luck and happy trails!

T