Immigration Tried To Scam Me - What A Shocker No?

Normally, I always exit Lieland prior to the date stamped in my book. In fact, in nearly twenty years in and out of the country, I have never not done so, therefore, I don't know how this might play out "normally" or with different passports.

Exiting via Swampy, you are allowed gratis not only the date stamped, but an additional day. In fact, there used to be signs stating as such.

I exited the day after the date in my book. I was told by the Immigration flunky in the kiosk - overstay. I objected immediately, but politely. I did not start in with I know this and that, just let it play out. I could play that card later if need be. He turned to the head minion for processing, but after some discussion and my objection, he backed down. No fine after all.

I have a feeling if I was on a Serbian, Indian, Brazilian, etc... passport they would have fined me.

Place gets greasier by the day...

You were on overstay and procedure is to note (stamp) that in your passport.

What they don't do at the airport is fine you for the overstay of only 1 day. That is provided you leave that day, otherwise you also have to pay for the first day of overstay.

You don't know if it is a scam or a mistake. Only when you would have paid the fine and not be given a receipt would it probaly have been a scam.

You were on overstay and procedure is to note (stamp) that in your passport.

What they don't do at the airport is fine you for the overstay of only 1 day. That is provided you leave that day, otherwise you also have to pay for the first day of overstay.

You don't know if it is a scam or a mistake. Only when you would have paid the fine and not be given a receipt would it probaly have been a scam.

Good to know K'Mario.

My issue is that immigration has for donkeys years allowed the overstay w/o penalty. Now the signs are down and I was basically informed that I was to now pay a fine. That is very new. Why would he have asked the 2nd guy to write me if if he did not wish to fine me?!?!

The second guy, not wanting paperwork for no money told him - he wasn't going to write it up.

The point is that imo if I had a passport from a lesser profile nation, I think they would have stuck me with the fine. That would not be in line with long established practices and the signage I have seen in the airports for years.

They didn't kindly do anything for me. SOP is not to write overstay out of Swampy and prior DM for decades as I recall. This is no favor to me, they have done this because they obviously had 1000 pissed off holiday goers late for planes and harried for waiting in huge lines because they interpreted incorrectly.

In twenty years of traveling in and out of Thailand and NEVER has immigration done me any favors. I've even been fined on the border in Malaysia and Lao for leaving on the date stamped. Favvors, yeah right. They LOOOVE fining you. I had a guy once count (2x) the days I had been in the country. He would have fined me if the stamp immigration put in my pp was 61 days, my fault relying of immigration. Favors PLEEZE...

In Nepal as many countries it is also standard to allow departures the day after the date stamped without fine or incident. I cannot comment on other countries because I never overstay, and I mean never.

You are complaining about immigration being in the wrong, but so far I fail to see what they did wrong. If they wanted to give you a fine with only 1 day overstay it would be a change of policy. But you complain about they wanting to write you up, which is standerd procedure. Whether you get a fine or not, the overstay is still noted in your passport. Even if your overstay is only 1 day.

• Like 1

Seems to me the guy by his own admission has overstayed many times before even if it was just one day. Because they record the "actual" date you departed they recognize this and said no more. Looks like they're on to you! Overstay is overstay no matter how you cut it. Good job Immigration!

• Like 1

drop it.

"Normally, I always exit Lieland prior to the date stamped in my book. In fact, in nearly twenty years in and out of the country, I have never not done so,"

Good job Immigration - What a tool.

Edited by Mario2008
flame deleted

The are noting that you have overstayed, is this a crime? No, it isn't, the crime is overstaying in the first place.

It is being noted so that they can find regular offenders, like people who overstay for 3 years, get a visa, and forget to renew it and are on overstay again.

Are you accusing the Immigrations officers of being Racist? Like I say to many people on TV, be careful they do read this, maybe your personal details are not on TV but beware.

Edited by beano2274

I cannot comment on other countries because I never overstay, and I mean never.

Real simple solution: don't overstay here either.

An even more certain solution to completely preclude 'bangkokburning' from any further issues with departure immigration officers in what he calls "Lieland": Now that you are apparently out of Thailand, don't come back and pass through arriving immigration.

:whistling:

No you were not being scammed.

It is the normal procedure to not charge overstay for the 1st day...but that is at the option of immigration on your exit.

It is not a requirement for them to do that, it is their OPTION not to charge you a fee...and they CAN charge you for that overstay...because you are in fact 1 day late in leaving.

And as another person pointed out...even if you are not required to pay for a 1 day overstay...at their option...you will have the overstay info written ibto your passport in Thai.

So if you do that more than once, and then enter again on that same passport, the immigration will see that you already have a one day overstay on a previous vist.

How long do you expect them to let you keep entering and then leaving one day late, before they have had enough?

You are flaunting your violation of the immigration law in front of their faces...why shouldn't they be angry?

:rolleyes:

I cannot comment on other countries because I never overstay, and I mean never.

Real simple solution: don't overstay here either.

An even more certain solution to completely preclude 'bangkokburning' from any further issues with departure immigration officers in what he calls "Lieland": Now that you are apparently out of Thailand, don't come back and pass through arriving immigration.

Is that Newcastle Brown Ale in your Avatar ?.:)

:whistling:

No you were not being scammed.

It is the normal procedure to not charge overstay for the 1st day...but that is at the option of immigration on your exit.

It is not a requirement for them to do that, it is their OPTION not to charge you a fee...and they CAN charge you for that overstay...because you are in fact 1 day late in leaving.

And as another person pointed out...even if you are not required to pay for a 1 day overstay...at their option...you will have the overstay info written ibto your passport in Thai.

So if you do that more than once, and then enter again on that same passport, the immigration will see that you already have a one day overstay on a previous vist.

How long do you expect them to let you keep entering and then leaving one day late, before they have had enough?

You are flaunting your violation of the immigration law in front of their faces...why shouldn't they be angry?

:rolleyes:

Yes, just another all-too-typical TV post shouting about being "SCAMMED" when nothing of the sort was happening. The sort of person who thinks it's clever or funny to call Thailand "Lieland" is probably seeing/imagining scams left right and centre. I find that kind of attitude a little bit sad.

Try overstaying in the UK for a day and see what type of send off you receive. And then see if they let you back in next time like they do here.

Edited by josephbloggs

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The are noting that you have overstayed, is this a crime? No, it isn't, the crime is overstaying in the first place.

It is being noted so that they can find regular offenders, like people who overstay for 3 years, get a visa, and forget to renew it and are on overstay again.

Are you accusing the Immigrations officers of being Racist? Like I say to many people on TV, be careful they do read this, maybe your personal details are not on TV but beware.

LOL Beano2274 !! You're spot on when you say "others" read this forum-you will not believe who and how much !!

Back to original post in that I can confirm (not that it really needed it) that one day or part of gets a stamp in the passport with no charge.

I was hard up to the 60 days in September and over by 6 hours.

Immigration guy passed the passport to another, who stamped it and I said "no problem" and he responded "No,no problem" and I was on my way.

Edited by Chivas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Similar thing happened to me my flight was 220 am checked in with luggage at 10.30 pm

I was at airport but didn't proceed through immigration until after midnight

They tried to charge me I argued the point I was in the airport

And they agreed no fine but was still endorsed

One day overstay on my passport

Couldn't believe it

But looking at it technically it is a breach you have to go through immigration before midnight

Or it's an extra day

But they don't charge up to two days

drop it.

"Normally, I always exit Lieland prior to the date stamped in my book. In fact, in nearly twenty years in and out of the country, I have never not done so,"

Good job Immigration - What a tool.

Don't lash out at people that do not sympathize with you. The fact is you overstayed. The law says that a fine applies for overstay. The fact that the immigration department has allowed for a grace period in the past is irrelevant. That grace period is discretionary, the same as a cop in the west reducing a speeding violation by 10-20kmh to give a driver a break on the fine and demerits. If you hav a gripe about the country, fine, but don't take it out on the folks just doing their jobs.