Thai Family Have No House To Register Under

Richb2004v2

This is a strange one that is relevant only to Thai citizens, but someone may be able to help.

It seems that all Thais have to be registered at an address in Thailand in order to get ID and open bank accounts etc. Until we recently sold our house my wife and kids were registered there, so all was well. Now we have sold it so no are longer registered there. The problem is that now we are renting and have nowhere to register. My wife's family is very small and the nearest person owning a house is far up north. My wife is very upset as she does not know now what to do. Her ID need renewing and she now can not do it. I can't imagine that this is a big deal as it must surely happen all the time here. I've pointed this out but she said that they must be registered somewhere but have nowhere to register. Anyway since she is not coming up with a solution I thought that I would try for help here. We also have baking that required the home residence certificate thing which is another problem.

If any of you are renting I wonder where your other half is registered?

Thanks.

Please move this to the relevant forum.

Normally in cases like this, where the land lord doesn't allow registering, a person is registered at the household registration of a family member. It is very normal that a person lives in a completely other province than where registered. Talk with the land lord, if he doesn't like it registering far up North is the only solution.

You will see it again with the coming elections, where people have to vote where they are officially registered.

My wife and I were renting for a number of years. She had to have her name in the house book that her mother had. When we bought our own home some 6 years ago she could then transfer her name from her mothers book to her own book at our home.

I think if your Thai family go to the amphur they will tell her what to do and she may have to re register in her mothers home where ever that is.

Thanks for advice. I couldn't believe it when my wife told me. It seems a little strange that people are often registered in houses that they have nothing to do with. My wife's mother also rents and is registered with the cousin up north. There must be instances when no one in a family owns a home. I wonder what happens then. I thought that surely a passport or birth certificate would be enough to get a new ID but apparently not. Nothing ever seems easy here sometimes.

One problem you may encounter,in the future, You will have to return to renew her ID card at where ever she got it in the first place, The Thai Government was suppose to be updating there computer system but it depends on how far back they have gone , the last time i tried to get an ID card for some one they had only go up to 1974, it may have change now, but don't hold your breath. Because they had not updated there system, the person had to make a10 hour jurney back home just because it was not on the records where she lived.

one easy solution, is to ask a good friend where you live, if they would put you on there blue book. that is OK , if you are not on any blue book you have a problem because you cannot get an ID card.If you rent property the owner does not have to register you , you have to us the place you lived before.

Edited by Thongkorn

I agree.

My wife livs in the UK so has no home to speak of in Thailand. She is registered at her mums house and whenever she needs to renew her ID sho goes to the relevant office in her home town. Never a problem and you shouldn't have a problem either.

You wife must surely know this? is she winding you up????!

Normally in cases like this, where the land lord doesn't allow registering, a person is registered at the household registration of a family member. It is very normal that a person lives in a completely other province than where registered. Talk with the land lord, if he doesn't like it registering far up North is the only solution.

You will see it again with the coming elections, where people have to vote where they are officially registered.

My g/f has lived in Bangkok for many years, but her regestered address is at her mothers house, in Udon Thani. Recently when we were applying for a visa for her to visit the UK. Her mother had to send her Blue Book down to her, so she could use as proof of address.

jb1

I agree.

My wife livs in the UK so has no home to speak of in Thailand. She is registered at her mums house and whenever she needs to renew her ID sho goes to the relevant office in her home town. Never a problem and you shouldn't have a problem either.

You wife must surely know this? is she winding you up????!

Like I already said, her mother rents a house too and is on the register of a fairly distant relation who lives far away in a shed in the jungle (slight exaggeration). The family is very small. We have just moved to a new area on a short term rental contract. We don't know anyone here to ask and don't know anyone else who's book she could go on. We don't have the advantages of a large extended family.

My GF is in a rented house in Samut Sakhon, but registered to a home in Chiang Mai. When our daughter was born a neighbour friend offered his house book for our daughter to be registered to. People often are not registered in the house they live in. You also don't need to be related to be added to the house book.

OP maybe get your wife to speak to the neighbours to see if she can be entered on their books (even for a small consideration).

I'm back OZ for the time being and my ID card and the registration of my kids is registered out in Khanayao district in the house of an uncle who has passed away and the house is live in by a 20 something cousin I've spoken to about 4 times in the past decade.

Not a huge worry. If you get kicked off a blue book, your details are actually transfered to a central 'tabieen baan'. It is relatively straight forward to re-transfer back once you have a house to register at.

All in all, using the house of a relative, even if they live 900km away seems to be the standard route (in my case 7000km away). Otherwise, as in who want's to be a millionaire, you can ask a friend. Plenty of PR's find themselves in that latter position, and as long as people know you, it they don't usually have a problem registering you.

Land lords have a problem with it as the generally have the misguided thought that it will bring them up on the radar of the tax authorities, as most people collect their rent without declaring it..

To the OP,

What happened to the blue book (tambien ban) that had your wife and kids registered at the old house? I don’t think you can be taken off a tambien ban without being put on another. Keep in mind that the tambien ban is not an ownership document, just a register of who lives there (even people that don’t actually live there).

TH

My question is: how were they able to "move out" of an old premises with out "moving in" to a new one? Usually, when you move out of one tabien baan, you are moving directly onto another one. Right?

I'm not sure about that. We just moved out and into a rented house. My wife should have got the new ID before they signed over but she didn't think they would change the blue book so quickly. I'm leaving it to her now anyway. It's beyond me to sort out.

Thanks for the advice though.

Names in blue books in rented premises may become more of a hot issue as with the free health scheme which is quite valuable Thais register with the hospital in the area of their registration.

I can see people (THAI) putting more pressure to get registered.

Names in blue books in rented premises may become more of a hot issue as with the free health scheme which is quite valuable Thais register with the hospital in the area of their registration.

You don't have to do that. You can be registered anywhere and then .....

To get the 30bht hospital treatment (and free school) for a different area all you need is a copy of a house book and ID card of anyone in the capture area with a covering letter from them to say the person wanting the free stuff is staying with them. My wife has just done this.

There are many Thais who work at stuff like fruit picking and move around all the time to follow the crops, how else would they get health care and schooling for their children?

Just coming at this topic from a different perspective, a few years back my wife, very much against my better judgement, put her son and daughter (now both in 30s and living in Bangkok)on our Tabien Baan. It was explained to me pretty much as Richb has stated, that the relatives at whose address they were registered had moved on, so these 2 had to find somewhere else to register. Having accepted that there was never any intention that they would be moving in with us (which would trigger my immediate departure), I went along with it.

Still, I'm a little uneasy. The son is just a dimwit motorcycle gofer and I've no evidence that he's into anything illegal, but if, for example, he were caught with drugs on him I wonder if the police would turn up on our doorstep in provincial Rayong.

To get the 30bht hospital treatment (and free school) for a different area all you need is a copy of a house book and ID card of anyone in the capture area with a covering letter from them to say the person wanting the free stuff is staying with them. My wife has just done this.

There are many Thais who work at stuff like fruit picking and move around all the time to follow the crops, how else would they get health care and schooling for their children?

Interesting. Thanks for the Info. I know there are a lot of those in the categories you mention that currently miss out.

Yes correct what you post, health care is local, no registration, no yellow card, no free health care :rolleyes:

That may be true in your area but not accepted here, its just as much trouble as putting the person on the TB, which can be easy to do and easy to cancel :rolleyes:

Edited by Kimera

Has your wife made any inquires ? It would seem that if she goes to local government office with her old ID card, it is all in their computers, just tell them the problem and they will sort it out. :rolleyes:

he were caught with drugs on him I wonder if the police would turn up on our doorstep in provincial Rayong.

Why would it matter if they did, unless he had a stash at your place, or even worse, your own stash would be found :lol:

Just coming at this topic from a different perspective, a few years back my wife, very much against my better judgement, put her son and daughter (now both in 30s and living in Bangkok)on our Tabien Baan. It was explained to me pretty much as Richb has stated, that the relatives at whose address they were registered had moved on, so these 2 had to find somewhere else to register. Having accepted that there was never any intention that they would be moving in with us (which would trigger my immediate departure), I went along with it.

Still, I'm a little uneasy. The son is just a dimwit motorcycle gofer and I've no evidence that he's into anything illegal, but if, for example, he were caught with drugs on him I wonder if the police would turn up on our doorstep in provincial Rayong.

I mentioned the same thing to my wife yesterday. She said that it could happen. We still haven't come up with a solution. No friends or family members that she wants to use. Never mind, we are planning to leave in a couple of months anyway.

Has your wife made any inquires ? It would seem that if she goes to local government office with her old ID card, it is all in their computers, just tell them the problem and they will sort it out. :rolleyes:

I take it you just arrived here. I actually thought the same thing, but then remembered this it Thailand and things don't always follow logical paths.

I take it you just arrived here. I actually thought the same thing, but then remembered this it Thailand and things don't always follow logical paths.

As one who has a Thai ID card and who has dealt with the Ampur on numerous occasions, I have found them nothing if not helpful....suggest it is worth a shot.

There was actually an article on TV last night about this. It seems that there is a big problem with government staff putting those without residence on the books of others illegally, for a fee of course. The program was also highlighting the problem faced for those without homes, family or anyone to help.